Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Better performing alternative to Chanel PM EDT?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate where you're coming from.
    I know that at some point I need to decided but as I'm not aware of every fragrance available in this genre then asking on here seems a good way to ensure I've not missed a trick before deciding.

I am getting very interested in Dior ES Parfum 2017 and also Boucheron Pour Homme (EDT or EDP though?)
    Both of which I was unaware of until this thread really.
    Seen as you're after more of the citrus notes, the EdT is the way to go. EdP is too heavy and highlights more of the musky notes. You won't like it based on what you've said.

Would Pasha de Cartier be an option?
    I know it's not the same vibe but still a classic, slightly old school, gentleman's scent and supposedly a good performer?

I know it's not the same vibe but still a classic, slightly old school, gentleman's scent and supposedly a good performer?
    An option how? You're asking about POUR MONSIEUR options in three different threads. PASHA does not smell like POUR MONSIEUR, no.

The only way to know if you like it is for you to try it. It's generally well regarded.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

It is a classic, but it's as close to the Chanel as a pineapple is to an apple.

Pasha is a fougere, along the lines of RL Safari - think lavender, coumarin (tonka) and moss. Whereas the Chanel is a much simpler and softer composition of lemon, cardamom and woods (moss).

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I'd agree on the 2017 Parfum. No pissy bon-bons in that one, tmn. And do still swear heavily by Boucheron Pour Homme. I friggin love that juice, yessir.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I'd agree on the 2017 Parfum. No pissy bon-bons in that one, tmn. And do still swear heavily by Boucheron Pour Homme. I friggin love that juice, yessir.
    I think I need to sniff the Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017).
    Does anyone here have the latest formulation of ES Edt and the 2017 parfum and if so does the 2017 Parfum open the same as the Edt? (ref my comments about the Edt smelling sour/bitter/skanky on the opening etc.)

My concern is that (and I quote from another frag review of the Parfum 2017 on Fragrantica 'The opening is basically a louder version of the original Eau Sauvage' Now if that were true I'm obviously out as I hate the Edt opening (sour/bitter blah...blah...) so a ramped up version would be horrific to me, just more of a smell I hate!
    If however, it has no similarity to the Edt opening then I'm potentially interested, does that make sense?

I think I need to sniff the Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017).
    Does anyone here have the latest formulation of ES Edt and the 2017 parfum and if so does the 2017 Parfum open the same as the Edt? (ref my comments about the Edt smelling sour/bitter/skanky on the opening etc.)
    NO!

They are NOT the same. How many times does this have to be repeated? Lol

They don’t open the same, they don’t progress the same, they don’t finish the same. They’re totally different except for the fact both have citrus.

If you want something with no heft, and zero powder, then you should be in the “fresh citrus” thread looking up things like Nio or Petit Matin but if you want something that approximates CPM, with bright citrus and also some powdery, classically masculine elements then ES Parfum 2017 is a good place to start.

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound impatient but you e been waffling on this so much...just order a sample already. I wish you lived in the US because I would gladly send you one if you did, or if you know someone who does I could send it there. But I don’t think it should be too hard to find, especially in Europe, which is where I found several bottles a few months ago.

So for the last time: ES EDT and ES PARFUM 2017 are not the same by any means. Don’t get 2017 confused with 2012 because they are two different experiences as well

Good luck!

And you better friggin’ update this thread when you finally try it. Don’t leave us hanging!
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    NO!

They don’t open the same, they don’t progress the same, they don’t finish the same. They’re totally different except for the fact both have citrus.

If you want something with no heft, and zero powder, then you should be in the “fresh citrus” thread looking up things like Nio or Petit Matin but if you want something that approximates CPM, with bright citrus and also some powdery, classically masculine elements then ES Parfum 2017 is a good place to start.

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound impatient but you e been waffling on this so much...just order a sample already. I wish you lived in the US because I would gladly send you one if you did, or if you know someone who does I could send it there. But I don’t think it should be too hard to find, especially in Europe, which is where I found several bottles a few months ago.

So for the last time: ES EDT and ES PARFUM 2017 are not the same by any means. Don’t get 2017 confused with 2012 because they are two different experiences as well

Good luck!

And you better friggin’ update this thread when you finally try it. Don’t leave us hanging!
    Hey it's entertaining if nothing else mate

Seriously though, I'm fully aware of how dithery I'm being, but just lately I've become acutely aware of how so very different one persons interpretation of fresh or smooth can be from another persons. After all, people say the Edt is fresh beautiful citrus/lemon etc. but ... nope, I find it sour and bitter. (as I have said, I can't comment on the dry-down as I've not sniffed the dry-down as I couldn't wait to wash off the opening so it may infact be similar in the dry-down but then again I may have liked the dry-down had I stuck with it through the sour/bitter phase?). So if one person thinks it's a nice citrus opening but I don't then it's entirely possible another person, like your good self for example, could say there are no similarities but I find there are? Not saying you're wrong, just how we all have different noses and brains.
    As I stated on my last post, someone on 'the other forum' claimed it was just a 'louder' version of the original (I presume he meant the Edt and not the original ES from 1966 or the original 2012 Parfum?) If he can claim that, and others, like yourself claim the opposite then how am I to know which is the case?
    Bottom line, I can't so I need to try it for myself.
    So... I'm actually going to try and get to a local store tomorrow and test it if I can, providing they carry the Parfum that is as in the midlands of the UK they only seem to carry the more popular and common place stuff, nothing like London etc. here!

Oh, and don't worry I'll be sure to update when I know.....

Hey it's entertaining if nothing else mate

Seriously though, I'm fully aware of how dithery I'm being, but just lately I've become acutely aware of how so very different one persons interpretation of fresh or smooth can be from another persons. After all, people say the Edt is fresh beautiful citrus/lemon etc. but ... nope, I find it sour and bitter. (as I have said, I can't comment on the dry-down as I've not sniffed the dry-down as I couldn't wait to wash off the opening so it may infact be similar in the dry-down but then again I may have liked the dry-down had I stuck with it through the sour/bitter phase?). So if one person thinks it's a nice citrus opening but I don't then it's entirely possible another person, like your good self for example, could say there are no similarities but I find there are? Not saying you're wrong, just how we all have different noses and brains.
    As I stated on my last post, someone on 'the other forum' claimed it was just a 'louder' version of the original (I presume he meant the Edt and not the original ES from 1966 or the original 2012 Parfum?) If he can claim that, and others, like yourself claim the opposite then how am I to know which is the case?
    Bottom line, I can't so I need to try it for myself.
    So... I'm actually going to try and get to a local store tomorrow and test it if I can, providing they carry the Parfum that is as in the midlands of the UK they only seem to carry the more popular and common place stuff, nothing like London etc. here!

Oh, and don't worry I'll be sure to update when I know.....
    Yeah I get it....which is why you’ll probably try it and think “Wtf was he talking about? This is nothing like CPM!” (I hope not)

Good luck finding it...

I’m not sure if it’s been discontinued or just no longer produced in the US, but from what I understand it’s very hard to find here and no longer in stores. IDK if it’s the same situation in Europe—you guys usually have stuff we don’t, so you may have better luck over there. I’d also look online for samples.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova

Yeah we're tripping over CPM Edt and ES 2017 Parfum here, I can get 20% of retail in my sleep from online retailers, and have either or both within a couple of days.
    The larger stores should have CPM and Dior ES but I'm not sure until I go if they'll have the Parfum in stock to try.

So.... I went to the store but they only had the Dior ES Edt in stock (told you they were rubbish around here!)

So I thought I'd try a few others whilst I was there, in cluding the ES Edt. All with 2 generous sprays to my skin (one scent on each hand and on each arm).

1/Right arm - ES Edt. Two generous sprays. The opening was not nearly as harsh and bitter as I recall, perhaps there was something on my skin before or perhaps it was a bad bottle. Either way it was fine, not gorgeous to me but fine. As it started to dry down though it went a little darker and dirtier, not horrible but VERY old school and not as smooth and sweet as say Chanel PM.
    The full dry down was to be fair very nice, a bit sweeter and very floral to me. Verdict? Better than i remembered but not for me I'm afraid. Not fresh enough and not sweet enough on the dry sown. Pass.

2/ Right hand - Bleu de Chanel Parfum. Again two generous sprays as per ES. Right from the bat I could hardly detect anything! I could but it was faint. What I did get was very nice indeed but so faint to my nose. It got sweeter as it dried into the woods and strangely I did get the odd whiff as I was driving and may have got more if I had not got 3 other frags on me at the time? Verdict? I recall loving this from a sample sprayer but this short back of the hand test left me underwhelmed. Perhaps two big sprays was enough top get me nose blind but surely not? I love this cent but if i can't smell it without stuffing my nose into my arm then it may be a pass. The jury is still out.

3/ Right Hand - Allure Homme Sport Edt. Same amount. Too sweet and creamy, I prefer my Versace PH, it stays fresher and less 'sickly'. Verdict? nice I suppose but I'll Pass.

4/ Right arm - Chanel PM Edt. Same amount. to be honest this didn't smell right as i've had this scent before and I think it hadn't been sprayed for ages and I got an off bit from the spray tube. It dried down to what I remember..sort of but started out nothing like. Verdict? I need to try again as i think the tester scent had turned or something.

Still haven't tried the ES Parfum and still dithering about a FB of GIT as I'm a little disillusioned about the designer options I was favouring...?.
    Last edited by Sloth; 14th August 2020 at 08:46 PM.

NO!

Starting to feel the same way BB

JUST TRY ESP 2017 ALREADY!!!! I'm almost sure its what you're looking for. Jeeze - I would also send you a sample myself - I have about 200ml of it between primary and backup bottles - if you were in the US. It shouldn't be that hard to find a sample!
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Starting to feel the same way BB

JUST TRY ESP 2017 ALREADY!!!! I'm almost sure its what you're looking for. Jeeze - I would also send you a sample myself - I have about 200ml of it between primary and backup bottles - if you were in the US. It shouldn't be that hard to find a sample!
    Mate, I went to do just that but as I clearly stated, in English, THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT!
    I'll get to try it soon enough I'm sure.
    If the way I post bugs you mate just vote with your legs and ignore me, but don't bloody patronise me chap.

So.... I went to the store but they only had the Dior ES Edt in stock (told you they were rubbish around here!)

So I thought I'd try a few others whilst I was there, in cluding the ES Edt. All with 2 generous sprays to my skin (one scent on each hand and on each arm).

1/Right arm - ES Edt. Two generous sprays. The opening was not nearly as harsh and bitter as I recall, perhaps there was something on my skin before or perhaps it was a bad bottle. Either way it was fine, not gorgeous to me but fine. As it started to dry down though it went a little darker and dirtier, not horrible but VERY old school and not as smooth and sweet as say Chanel PM.
    The full dry down was to be fair very nice, a bit sweeter and very floral to me. Verdict? Better than i remembered but not for me I'm afraid. Not fresh enough and not sweet enough on the dry sown. Pass.

2/ Right hand - Bleu de Chanel Parfum. Again two generous sprays as per ES. Right from the bat I could hardly detect anything! I could but it was faint. What I did get was very nice indeed but so faint to my nose. It got sweeter as it dried into the woods and strangely I did get the odd whiff as I was driving and may have got more if I had not got 3 other frags on me at the time? Verdict? I recall loving this from a sample sprayer but this short back of the hand test left me underwhelmed. Perhaps two big sprays was enough top get me nose blind but surely not? I love this cent but if i can't smell it without stuffing my nose into my arm then it may be a pass. The jury is still out.

3/ Right Hand - Allure Homme Sport Edt. Same amount. Too sweet and creamy, I prefer my Versace PH, it stays fresher and less 'sickly'. Verdict? nice I suppose but I'll Pass.

4/ Right arm - Chanel PM Edt. Same amount. to be honest this didn't smell right as i've had this scent before and I think it hadn't been sprayed for ages and I got an off bit from the spray tube. It dried down to what I remember..sort of but started out nothing like. Verdict? I need to try again as i think the tester scent had turned or something.

Still haven't tried the ES Parfum and still dithering about a FB of GIT as I'm a little disillusioned about the designer options I was favouring...?.
    Cool update bro.

I agree with you about enjoying Versace PH more than Allure Homme Sport because it stays fresher and goes in a more aromatic and sometimes watery direction than the heavier, creamy tonka direction AHS goes in.

So is your concern with Bleu Parfum that it’s too weak? Because I can assure you that it’s not. This happens to be one of my all out favorites and I get 10 to 12 hours with it, the first four with very strong projection, the next four with solid projection, and the last four quiet but still obviously present. It’s good stuff, and has an awesome sandalwood note in the base that gives it a lot of depth and polish. If your only reservation is strength, then I say go for it. Of course, if it’s the overall smell, that’s a different story. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I guess the quest for ESP 2017 continues...you’ll need ESP to find it!

Cool update bro.

I agree with you about enjoying Versace PH more than Allure Homme Sport because it stays fresher and goes in a more aromatic and sometimes watery direction than the heavier, creamy tonka direction AHS goes in.

So is your concern with Bleu Parfum that it’s too weak? Because I can assure you that it’s not. This happens to be one of my all out favorites and I get 10 to 12 hours with it, the first four with very strong projection, the next four with solid projection, and the last four quiet but still obviously present. It’s good stuff, and has an awesome sandalwood note in the base that gives it a lot of depth and polish. If your only reservation is strength, then I say go for it. Of course, if it’s the overall smell, that’s a different story. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I guess the quest for ESP 2017 continues...you’ll need ESP to find it!
    Thanks. Yes trying AHS made me appreciate my VPH more to be honest. Not that there was anything wrong with AHS but it's just too creamy and sweet and when it drys down it's almost the same (to me anyways) as the OG Allure Homme.

I can try the ES Parfum in the city centre stores as I know they have it but I'm currently trying to avoid busy city centres if I can so that's why I tried to store in the retail park, without success.

As for the BDC Parfum, I love the smell, the lemon on top but also the almost instant richness lacking in the others to my nose. The dry down is divine and is to me what this one is all about. No it was just that it didn't project hardly at all to my nose, even with two healthy sprays to the back of my hand. Perhaps it's something about the skin on my hand, perhaps it was a little dry? Don't get me wrong, I could smell it but only when I pressed into it with my nose and perhaps with some hand movement although that was hard to tell with 3 other fragrances on me at the same time. Perhaps the others had caused me to become anosmic with the softer BDCP being the first casualty, being softer projecting anyway?
    I did once (a few months or perhaps a year ago) have a 1ml sample of it and gave it a full wearing to work one day. It was lovely and I could smell whafts of it through the day and still when I got home around 6pm, albeit a softer skin scent. I may have got some on my shirt when applying in the morning to so that would of helped.
    Anyhow, what I'm saying is that I recalled it performing better than it did today, so either it's been reformulated or it was something to do with my hand skin or anosmia caused by OD'ing on fragrance in one session?
    BDCP Retails for £106 gbp here but can be had for -20% off fairly often when certain online retailers have a promotion, there's one on now as I type.
    I pulled the trigger on a 100ml of 2018 Invictus Aqua today for £43 gbp including delivery. I know it gets hate but I make no excuses, I just like it and always have, been promising it myself for ages but sort of forgot in all the rush of looking at other, more costly stuff.
    I still have enough for a FB of GIT if I want or the BDCP + another, perhaps Chanel PM Edt or if not maybe Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, or ... we'll actually I've also always been curious about the 2018 Paco Rabanne XS (the standard version not the pure or pure night versions).
    I've heard it has some similarities with Creed SMW although as I've never smelt SMW that doesn't mean much to me! I'm wondering if it's a fresh yet fairly conservative, gents scent, nothing radical but something easy to grab for work or meetings?
    Anyway there you go, still have £143 gbp left to buy something else so hopefully I can keep people on here entertained a while longer eh

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Very good update! All you need now, besides ESP17, is the BPH (EdT is juicier and zestier than the EdP). Really looking forward to your thoughts on it. IMHO, it is a very good alternative to CPM.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Very good update! All you need now, besides ESP17, is the BPH (EdT is juicier and zestier than the EdP). Really looking forward to your thoughts on it. IMHO, it is a very good alternative to CPM.
    Thank you.
    BPH will be a little trickier to try as it's not so mainstream, but if I'm in the city, there are several fragrance outlets as well as the usual department stores so perhaps I'll get lucky.
    I'll be sure to let you know if I do though.

As for the BDC Parfum, I love the smell, the lemon on top but also the almost instant richness lacking in the others to my nose. The dry down is divine and is to me what this one is all about. No it was just that it didn't project hardly at all to my nose, even with two healthy sprays to the back of my hand. Perhaps it's something about the skin on my hand, perhaps it was a little dry? Don't get me wrong, I could smell it but only when I pressed into it with my nose and perhaps with some hand movement although that was hard to tell with 3 other fragrances on me at the same time. Perhaps the others had caused me to become anosmic with the softer BDCP being the first casualty, being softer projecting anyway?
    I did once (a few months or perhaps a year ago) have a 1ml sample of it and gave it a full wearing to work one day. It was lovely and I could smell whafts of it through the day and still when I got home around 6pm, albeit a softer skin scent. I may have got some on my shirt when applying in the morning to so that would of helped.
    I’d advise that you now try the two scents that you liked (given that you’ve clearly ruled out another two) - ideally try them on separate visits if possible. Depending on which scents they are (and their strength - EdT, EdP etc) it may not be a good idea to try them all at once. But definitely the less you have on, the easier it is to try something new.

Specifically when it comes to Bleu de Chanel Parfum, as it’s a pure parfum (Extrait), it’s quite concentrated. One spray will be more than enough. Any more and you’ll go nose blind to it. You won’t be able to smell with too many sprays in other words. Plus if you have other stuff on, you won’t be able to pick it up as your nose will be overloaded with all the scents.

I find I get a vetiver note coming out in the dry down if I put too much on of BdC Parfum, otherwise I find it lasts all day on me and projects strongly for the best part of the day. The woody dry down is way better than the rest of the BdC trilogy.

Thank you.
    BPH will be a little trickier to try as it's not so mainstream, but if I'm in the city, there are several fragrance outlets as well as the usual department stores so perhaps I'll get lucky.
    I'll be sure to let you know if I do though.
    Do try and get your nose on the Boucheron EdT. It goes for next to nothing on the discounters so you won’t be out of pocket. But do try it first.

Also if you are keen on the Versace PH, you may end up liking Estes Lauder for Men as well. Also very cheap but a little harder to find.