Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Better performing alternative to Chanel PM EDT?

Hi, I love Chanel Pour Monsieur (EDT) but its poor performance makes me hesitant to buy it again (I had it a while ago).
    I may just buy it anyway but before I do, is there anything that smells the same or almost but with better performance?
    Bearing in mind that one of the things I like about PM is its lack of skanky, dirty, bitterness that I smell with one of its main competitors Dior Eau Sauvage (so no point in recommending that or anything that has that dirty, animalic, skanky and bitter vibe going on as I hate that in a fragrance and prefer something that stays clean and if anything, perhaps sweetens up on the dry down rather than going all 1970's filth).
    I've heard good things about Lalique Pour Homme and the EDP version but have never had my nose on it.
    Is there anything else that I should consider?
    Although not the same scent I also like Acqua di Parma Colonia but again it performs badly.
    I've also looked at Pasha de Cartier (EDT) but it's not the same scent profile as CPM but then again perhaps a good, decent performing fresh, gentlemans scent that could nevertheless scratch the itch so to speak?

I don't mind if the CPM alternative is the same as or very close in price as CPM as long as it performs better, otherwise I may as well get CPM!
    Nothing more expensive though and remember if it's animalic, dirty or skanky, at any point I won't like it.
    Thanks.

Old school never tires.

Default Re: Better performing alternative to Chanel PM EDT?

I don’t believe one exists, try applying the 5-6 sprays to clothing it lasts all day that way. When I wore it when it was available in the USA after a 8 hour work day it was still very noticeable by others with that application method. Chanel PM EDT is quite unique no one has replicated it or come close imo, it’s one of those fragrances that stands out. If your really pressed for one Nicolai New York Intense is a good choice but still not identical to Chanel PM EDT.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

For a time, TIFFANY FOR MEN was thought to be somewhat similar, but it appears to be extinct or grossly overpriced if for sale.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Sloth, what is it that you see in Chanel PM that you like and would like a longer version of?

As I see it, this one is a tale of two parts: citrus and woods. The citrus aspect is short lived and not very pronounced in the composition. The woods are softer, they last long (on me at least) but are very muted and do not project from fifty feet. They sit close to the skin and it is mostly why I own this fragrance - not for the citrus I might add.

If you are looking for a longer-lasting chypre interpretation, I strongly suggest getting Caron's 3rd Man (in current formulation) or checking out something like French Lover or even Cacharel Pour Homme. Previous suggestion of Tiffany for Men is equally good, but alas that one is long gone and fetching for eye-watering prices.

The citrus aspect (which is what I think you are leaning more towards) is not so simple. The citrus in Chanel PM is only the supporting actor and therefore not long lasting. It's also commonly known that primarily citrus-themed scents do not last much. In any case, here are my choices:
    - Armani Eau Pour Homme
    - YSL Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Sloth, what is it that you see in Chanel PM that you like and would like a longer version of?

As I see it, this one is a tale of two parts: citrus and woods. The citrus aspect is short lived and not very pronounced in the composition. The woods are softer, they last long (on me at least) but are very muted and do not project from fifty feet. They sit close to the skin and it is mostly why I own this fragrance - not for the citrus I might add.

If you are looking for a longer-lasting chypre interpretation, I strongly suggest getting Caron's 3rd Man (in current formulation) or checking out something like French Lover or even Cacharel Pour Homme. Previous suggestion of Tiffany for Men is equally good, but alas that one is long gone and fetching for eye-watering prices.

The citrus aspect (which is what I think you are leaning more towards) is not so simple. The citrus in Chanel PM is only the supporting actor and therefore not long lasting. It's also commonly known that primarily citrus-themed scents do not last much. In any case, here are my choices:
    - Armani Eau Pour Homme
    - YSL Pour Homme
    Thanks to all so far.

What I love about Chanel PM edt is of course the lovely lemon opening but also the fact that even when the opening fades and the mid to dry-down occurs, it never goes skanky, dirty or animalic. That's why I don't like Eau Sauvage, Armani Eau Pour Homme or the YSL either as they all have some old amimalic bitterness to them that I literally hate.
    Does Boucheron go that way to?

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I don’t believe one exists
    This !

I had this conundrum too - i guess it beauty IS in its subtletly? Does stick around when matured ( 3-6months) and agree is close so not big projections - however get wafts much later on. Really got me an I went through the route of Boucheron ( citrus goos - too flowery), Versace L'Homme ( too cloying and powerful like a car interior) left in the sun, Armani Eau (top citrus and moss, yet lacks the sparkle and piquancy of CPM EDT), YSL PH (skanky), Capucci PH (near identical to Armani Eau)... and so on - yet not replacement for CPM EDT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I've heard good things about Lalique Pour Homme and the EDP version but have never had my nose on it.
    Lalique PH is closer to CPM Parfum ( a different thing altogether compared to CPM EDT) with big vanilla and syrupy thickness.

I hope you do find something - and report back, I'd definitley have a sniff

Best advice I can give is apply generously and +1 on clothing

NY Intense Nicolai
    Derby Guerlain

Both far better performing and more charming scents in the same vibe. More like an upgrade rather than a similar alternative.

I'd put in Eau Sauvage as well but personally prefer PM to that line.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Does Boucheron go that way to?
    Nope. Current'ish BPH (edt & edp) is delicious with its warm creamy glow of juicy lemon, woods/sandalwood, rose, soft moss. I love it. One of the best I've ever smelled.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Nope. Current'ish BPH (edt & edp) is delicious with its warm creamy glow of juicy lemon, woods/sandalwood, rose, soft moss. I love it. One of the best I've ever smelled.
    This exactly. Only bit I wouldn't entirely agree with is the rose note. In the vintage, it is there in all its glory in the heart of the fragrance. Not so much in the current EdT though - if it's even there at all.

Thanks to all so far.

What I love about Chanel PM edt is of course the lovely lemon opening but also the fact that even when the opening fades and the mid to dry-down occurs, it never goes skanky, dirty or animalic. That's why I don't like Eau Sauvage, Armani Eau Pour Homme or the YSL either as they all have some old amimalic bitterness to them that I literally hate.
    I get it, so you are after a soft lemon opening without spices. Except maybe the cardamom works for you in the Chanel (which by the way is one of the nicest note transitions ever used in a fragrance). That actually rules out quite a few scents.

I get it, so you are after a soft lemon opening without spices. Except maybe the cardamom works for you in the Chanel (which by the way is one of the nicest note transitions ever used in a fragrance). That actually rules out quite a few scents.
    Bang on correct. It would hopefully rule out those I'd not like anyway?

Dependent

Just get Pour Monsieur again and spray lots of it.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Maybe try the EdP?

Bear in mind that it is a little different, though.

Dior Eau Sauvage EDP 2017

New York Intense
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Old school never tires.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This.
    Easily a signature fragrance I could drown in!

Actually I think this might be the best idea.

Initio Rehab reminds me of Chanel PM. Maybe try a sample of that.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    Are you serious?

They’re not similar to even the slightest degree.

Maybe you’re thinking of something else?
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    Noway

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Maybe try the EdP?

Bear in mind that it is a little different, though.
    I'd say it's completely different.

EDT is pure ginger and not much more. I like it, but performance is close to none.
    EDP is ginger with noticeable citrus and lavender. I love it, but performance, while much better than EDT, is still poor.

If not this very scent in its Parfum/Concentree version, at least seconding/adding Boucheron EDP

Heaven's made of oakmoss

This exactly. Only bit I wouldn't entirely agree with is the rose note. In the vintage, it is there in all its glory in the heart of the fragrance. Not so much in the current EdT though - if it's even there at all.
    I hear ya, Rum. I got a lovely fresh rose a bit in the top towards the middle, that stayed for a little while, though not all the way till the end. Loved it. My bottle was from 2016, iirc. Would love to try the older versions, though.
    @OP, regarding CPM Concentrèe, you'll have to love vanilla, though, as I remember it. I own the EdC version of CPM which at least has better performance than the current EdT. Imho the EdC is worth a go if finding it at a reasonable price, or a sample .
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Freed from BN Institution

I wouldn't substitute Pour Monsieur with anything else.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I wouldn't substitute Pour Monsieur with anything else.
    Spraying lots will help with poor sillage, but won't help with poor longevity. I'd suggest wearing one with you and spraying every 2 hours or so. That's the only way to help fragrances that perform poorly (i.e. almost all these days).

The consensus is not a lot if anything really smells like CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR.

The new POUR MONSIEUR EdP version is a quite different scent, but may be worth a sample. Pleasant, some citrus.

BOUCHERON POUR HOMME is not "like" POUR MONSIEUR to me but it is a very strong citrus scent. Maybe the strongest citrus I ever tried.
    Quite potent and not over the top pricey. Probably not easy to find in brick and mortar now. Not sure where you live.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by beartown View Post
    I'd say it's completely different.

EDT is pure ginger and not much more. I like it, but performance is close to none.
    Sorry, but it does not smell like ginger.

Pour Monsieur EDP has the nicest smoothest civet in it that I've never seen mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Sorry, but it does not smell like ginger.
    What does it smell like for you? To me it's 100% ginger juice.

Old school never tires.

Has anyone actually sprayed their clothes with this one? I did 4-5 sprays and I was fine 6 would be louder not sure why the performance is so bad for so many clothing works like a charm with this fragrance, you won’t clear a room but will be noticed when around others.

Also, I don’t believe this fragrance was ever meant to be beast mode but my experience has been excellent when applied to clothing.