Code of Conduct

Default James Heeley Figuier

According to thiis thread HERE Figuier by Heeley was discontinued back in 2015.

Annoyingly, I'm finding that the more I try my small sample, the more I love it - it seems one part Davidoff's Good Life, another part the hay and tea from Villoresi's Yerbamate: a real 'sweet spot' fragrance that ticks several boxes I enjoy.

However, it appears to be a complete unicorn in the big old world of ebay - I have an official atomiser sample I was lucky to pick up partially used and I probably have less than 1ml left.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this - the likelihood of reissuing (I will email them shortly but not much hope on that front...!), anything that is incredibly similar (I find it to be significantly different to Philosykos, for instance), or even just general thoughts about the fragrance as it doesn't appear to have had much traction (there's no standalone thread for it on this forum - I looked!). Are there any other fig lovers out there - any thoughts on this? The idea it was discontinued because of room sprays seems...depressing. The warm hay and tea accord on my skin makes this smell quite unlike a room spray.

375x500.7849.jpg
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: James Heeley Figuier

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I will email them shortly but not much hope on that front...!)
    You never know. They might surprise you with an unexpected timely response.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Try Figuier Fleur by Fragonard
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

If you don't like Philosykos, try the fig offering by L'Artisan Parfumeur and/or Acqua di Parma.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    If you don't like Philosykos, try the fig offering by L'Artisan Parfumeur and/or Acqua di Parma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Try Figuier Fleur by Fragonard
    Thanks, but I suppose I wanted the thread to be more specifically about Heeley's Figuier to see if there's any love for it - given the relative lack of commentary and the fact it's discontinued. I suppose I did ask if anyone's tried anything similar so my fault perhaps on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You never know. They might surprise you with an unexpected timely response.
    Thanks hednic - my lack of hope was actually due to the prospect of the fragrance being reissued!

I found this link which is interesting: it also looks like the early Heeley bottles were different from what followed: https://nstperfume.com/2006/05/22/he...grance-review/

heeley-eau-de-figuier.jpg

I definitely prefer to no-label versions of the current bottles.

Also, $70 for 125ml. I know this was 2006 and so the value is quite different, but it's strange and slightly galling seeing pre-recession prices of products like this!

2020-08-11.jpg

90ml just sold for $200!

Anyway, I don't think it's the perfect fragrance and there's no way I'd pay more than £80-100 for 100ml - but there's something about it that's really pleasing and it's like a 'true niche' version of Good Life by Davidoff to my nose. It just amps up the sweetness and perhaps loses some of the more 'masculine staple' notes for the hay accord in the heart. Perhaps it's also deemed too feminine for most men, I know fig can veer that way.

If you haven’t already, it might be a good idea to post a thread in the Fragrances Wanted section of the marketplace.

I can see this being one that somebody might just have sitting in their collection acquiring dust.

I don’t remember much about it, but it was released during Heeley’s heyday, and was overshadowed by their more popular releases like Sel Marin, Cuir Pleine Fleur, and Menthe Fraiche.

Heeley was an amazing house for a moment there, probably my favorite true “niche” outfit around 2010, but then they had a strange period where it seemed they went off track from their standard protocol and things got erratic and hit or miss.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    If you haven’t already, it might be a good idea to post a thread in the Fragrances Wanted section of the marketplace.

I can see this being one that somebody might just have sitting in their collection acquiring dust.

I don’t remember much about it, but it was released during Heeley’s heyday, and was overshadowed by their more popular releases like Sel Marin, Cuir Pleine Fleur, and Menthe Fraiche.

Heeley was an amazing house for a moment there, probably my favorite true “niche” outfit around 2010, but then they had a strange period where it seemed they went off track from their standard protocol and things got erratic and hit or miss.
    Thanks for this advice - I'll probably not take it though. I was genuinely just trying to start a thread to see if there's anyone who like(d) this, which doesn't seem to be the case. Unless I could find 500ml for less than £400, I probably wouldn't bother buying, but that's just me and my particular needs. Thanks again though.

I'd say Heeley is probably my favourite house, still, so it's surprising/interesting to see your analysis. Where do you think they went askew? Have you tried some of their newest releases?

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Thanks for this advice - I'll probably not take it though. I was genuinely just trying to start a thread to see if there's anyone who like(d) this, which doesn't seem to be the case. Unless I could find 500ml for less than £400, I probably wouldn't bother buying, but that's just me and my particular needs. Thanks again though.

I'd say Heeley is probably my favourite house, still, so it's surprising/interesting to see your analysis. Where do you think they went askew? Have you tried some of their newest releases?
    Although I actually love Coccobello, this is around the time period they went off the rails. I’d say with that sad Vetiver fragrance...I forget the name.

And then Note de Yuzu was a very lateral, unnecessary move in my opinion, adding an annoyingly unsettling citrus note to the great base of Sel Marin. They’re still decent, but I haven’t seen anything close to the string of releases they put out early on.

But it’s not just them: L’Artisan, Parfums d’Empire, Penhaligon’s, Parfums MDCI, Tauer, Histoires de Parfums and others all showed out in the little niche golden age of 2002–2012 and have gone downhill since. There are some good releases more recently, but more inconsistently than the previous era.

And yeah, sorry I can’t say much about Figuier itself, I remember avoiding it because Philosykos was the big Fig back then and that seemed to be the one everybody recommended.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford