Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 609
  1. #271
    Basenotes Junkie Mak-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Leaks would mean bad bottle design, cheap bottle selected. if its twist on sprayer, then no sealant between threads, or not tighten well. If its crimping, then not crimped well enough. I personally prefer adams system of crimpless sprayer with metal sleeve over it. Tight fit and great seal.

  2. #272
    Super Member Robin oud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    ben805 got banned, I'll miss him
    really? for what?
    I find the pictures of the leaking kinam bottle more offensive than anything that got deleted by our friendly basenotes censors.

  3. #273

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    about the leaks, are these the same bottles Dixit and Zak just used? they look similar. I thought the cap of rising mysore 2 was light and cheap feeling. maybe this is some crappy bottle company they need to upgrade from next release.

  4. #274

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Castingshadows updated me on the exact nature of the situation here and I’m just going to delete my earlier comment.
    Last edited by Proust_Madeleine; 19th September 2020 at 12:08 PM.

  5. #275
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin oud View Post
    really? for what?
    I find the pictures of the leaking kinam bottle more offensive than anything that got deleted by our friendly basenotes censors.
    Ben got a little racist towards another member on here and it got nasty/messy. But we got strict orders to keep this thread on track so I won’t go down that road anymore.

    There’s too many leaking bottles in this thread as well. I too find that highly disturbing.

  6. #276

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Ben got a little racist towards another member on here and it got nasty/messy. But we got strict orders to keep this thread on track so I won’t go down that road anymore.

    There’s too many leaking bottles in this thread as well. I too find that highly disturbing.
    Thanks moderators!

    Hope y’all are enjoying your SOTD!
    Last edited by Proust_Madeleine; 19th September 2020 at 12:09 PM.

  7. #277
    Basenotes Plus
    HabibiGotIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    BROOKLYN / NORTHSIDE CHICAGO
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Anyways, my bottle arrived in NY. May get it today or tomorrow, and will report back.

  8. #278
    Basenotes Plus
    HabibiGotIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    BROOKLYN / NORTHSIDE CHICAGO
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    So can anyone please describe how Kinam Attar smells? Is it leather? animalic? fruity? chocolate-y? What other notes besides oud do you get?

    Thanks.

  9. #279

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    So can anyone please describe how Kinam Attar smells? Is it leather? animalic? fruity? chocolate-y? What other notes besides oud do you get?

    Thanks.
    To me it smells like gently warmed Agarwood chips...or as close to that I’ve smelled. It’s warm and sweet (not sweet like AdN). It’s very very nice. Very oud forward.

    Edit: definitely not animalic or fruity. Not chocolatey or leathery either. I’ll go check it out again and try to give a better description.

    Ok, smelling from the cap because I only have less than a ml but it’s a sweet spicy woody oud but in a natural sweet and spicy way. It doesn’t smell like he added spices or anything sweet though. It’s how I imagined oud smelling before I actually tried it for the first time and was much fruitier than I expected (Cambodian/Thai). Sorry I can’t make many parallels because most of them would be misleading. It’s a juicy woody, not dry but freshly split. Not alive but aged so the resins thickened up and smell matured. There is a bit of zing to it especially in the opening and heart before drying to a warm gently heated Agarwood. The zing is not lemon peel, closer to orange peel but not. More like the zing in any wood sap, cedar-ish? But not really, cedar is sharper and dryer. Dang it’s hard to explain but it’s not crazy difficult or new it’s just a very refined oud with a pure, natural, sweet, warming effect with a nice zing that you’d expect from tree resin. I really hope this helps. It’s incredible, if you love oud for sure.
    Last edited by Dothraki; 18th September 2020 at 05:55 PM.

  10. #280
    Dependent Cheetah1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,718

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    To me it smells like gently warmed Agarwood chips...or as close to that I’ve smelled. It’s warm and sweet (not sweet like AdN). It’s very very nice. Very oud forward.

    Edit: definitely not animalic or fruity. Not chocolatey or leathery either. I’ll go check it out again and try to give a better description.
    So the agarwood chips I’ve been burning have a woody (of course) but slightly anise type sweetness in them, and of course a smoky aspect since it’s burning. Is it anything like that? I’m hoping it’s not too soft, and maybe has a little umph to it.

  11. #281

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    So the agarwood chips I’ve been burning have a woody (of course) but slightly anise type sweetness in them, and of course a smoky aspect since it’s burning. Is it anything like that? I’m hoping it’s not too soft, and maybe has a little umph to it.
    No anise..not too soft either. The drydown is more akin to heated chips, much more alive with a zest before drydown.

  12. #282
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Chi-town
    Posts
    29

    Default Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    To me it smells like gently warmed Agarwood chips...or as close to that Iíve smelled. Itís warm and sweet (not sweet like AdN). Itís very very nice. Very oud forward.

    Edit: definitely not animalic or fruity. Not chocolatey or leathery either. Iíll go check it out again and try to give a better description.

    Ok, smelling from the cap because I only have less than a ml but itís a sweet spicy woody oud but in a natural sweet and spicy way. It doesnít smell like he added spices or anything sweet though. Itís how I imagined oud smelling before I actually tried it for the first time and was much fruitier than I expected (Cambodian/Thai). Sorry I canít make many parallels because most of them would be misleading. Itís a juicy woody, not dry but freshly split. Not alive but aged so the resins thickened up and smell matured. There is a bit of zing to it especially in the opening and heart before drying to a warm gently heated Agarwood. The zing is not lemon peel, closer to orange peel but not. More like the zing in any wood sap, cedar-ish? But not really, cedar is sharper and dryer. Dang itís hard to explain but itís not crazy difficult or new itís just a very refined oud with a pure, natural, sweet, warming effect with a nice zing that youíd expect from tree resin. I really hope this helps. Itís incredible, if you love oud for sure.
    I just sprayed 4 pumps. I am lost at words. I cant describe how it is or make parallels. But i can say it smells like Royal grade stuff which kings and emperors would have in their collection. The best incense combined with an smell from outer worlds (it could be kinam).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #283

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hosaynmujtaba View Post
    I just sprayed 4 pumps. I am lost at words. I cant describe how it is or make parallels. But i can say it smells like Royal grade stuff which kings and emperors would have in their collection. The best incense combined with an smell from outer worlds (it could be kinam).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely. High quality juice!

  14. #284
    Basenotes Plus
    HabibiGotIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    BROOKLYN / NORTHSIDE CHICAGO
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Gosh darn! I cannot wait. Sounds so good. I love to wear undiluted oud oils and to burn the woodchips. I have always wanted a sprayable perfume that focused on oud exclusively. Sounds like this is it. Praying that that it hasn't leaked on its long journey from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong to New York to a Chicago suburb to Cincinnati and then BACK TO New York, LOL. Maybe it was stuck on a plane with a fixed route.

    Anyways, thanks for all the impressions. Looking forward to adding mine.

  15. #285

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Ur in the Roja Haute Luxe territory
    I would love to get an ml of it, just for reference, but cant justify the price for FB.
    Will buy Dyson vacuum instead, wont give me mind buzzz, but at least my floors will be clean for years to come
    get a shark instead
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

  16. #286

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Gosh darn! I cannot wait. Sounds so good. I love to wear undiluted oud oils and to burn the woodchips. I have always wanted a sprayable perfume that focused on oud exclusively. Sounds like this is it. Praying that that it hasn't leaked on its long journey from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong to New York to a Chicago suburb to Cincinnati and then BACK TO New York, LOL. Maybe it was stuck on a plane with a fixed route.

    Anyways, thanks for all the impressions. Looking forward to adding mine.
    I think this will be the most amazing, simplistic, oud forward composition you’ve ever got your nose on. It’s not a perfume, it’s 100% oud on oud on oud, with anything that was added just to compliment the oud. Great stuff.

  17. #287
    Dependent Cheetah1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,718

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Gosh darn! I cannot wait. Sounds so good. I love to wear undiluted oud oils and to burn the woodchips. I have always wanted a sprayable perfume that focused on oud exclusively. Sounds like this is it. Praying that that it hasn't leaked on its long journey from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong to New York to a Chicago suburb to Cincinnati and then BACK TO New York, LOL. Maybe it was stuck on a plane with a fixed route.

    Anyways, thanks for all the impressions. Looking forward to adding mine.
    It went through Cincinnati?!? Darn, I could have gone downtown and intercepted it, LOL!! Hope you really enjoy it, wish I would have been able to get one

  18. #288

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    To me it smells like gently warmed Agarwood chips...or as close to that I’ve smelled. It’s warm and sweet (not sweet like AdN). It’s very very nice. Very oud forward.

    Edit: definitely not animalic or fruity. Not chocolatey or leathery either. I’ll go check it out again and try to give a better description.

    Ok, smelling from the cap because I only have less than a ml but it’s a sweet spicy woody oud but in a natural sweet and spicy way. It doesn’t smell like he added spices or anything sweet though. It’s how I imagined oud smelling before I actually tried it for the first time and was much fruitier than I expected (Cambodian/Thai). Sorry I can’t make many parallels because most of them would be misleading. It’s a juicy woody, not dry but freshly split. Not alive but aged so the resins thickened up and smell matured. There is a bit of zing to it especially in the opening and heart before drying to a warm gently heated Agarwood. The zing is not lemon peel, closer to orange peel but not. More like the zing in any wood sap, cedar-ish? But not really, cedar is sharper and dryer. Dang it’s hard to explain but it’s not crazy difficult or new it’s just a very refined oud with a pure, natural, sweet, warming effect with a nice zing that you’d expect from tree resin. I really hope this helps. It’s incredible, if you love oud for sure.
    Very nice description, Dothraki. I feel like I can smell it already.


    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Gosh darn! I cannot wait. Sounds so good. I love to wear undiluted oud oils and to burn the woodchips. I have always wanted a sprayable perfume that focused on oud exclusively. Sounds like this is it. Praying that that it hasn't leaked on its long journey from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong to New York to a Chicago suburb to Cincinnati and then BACK TO New York, LOL. Maybe it was stuck on a plane with a fixed route.

    Anyways, thanks for all the impressions. Looking forward to adding mine.
    Really looking forward to your thoughts. You have great taste.

  19. #289

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    This is Taha's first time providing spray bottles, so I wonder if the leaking problem results from his inexperience with crimp sprayers.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

  20. #290
    Basenotes Junkie FragSyndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    543

    Default Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    This is Taha's first time providing spray bottles, so I wonder if the leaking problem results from his inexperience with crimp sprayers.
    Without a doubt. Same with him mailing out preorder bottles with screw on atomizers without Teflon tape wrapping.

    Just because heís an Oud legend doesnít make him immune from making mistakes.

  21. #291

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Without a doubt. Same with him mailing out preorder bottles with screw on atomizers without Teflon tape wrapping.

    Just because he’s an Oud legend doesn’t make him immune from making mistakes.
    Yes. But at these prices and with FOMO marketing added on top, these mistakes are inexcusable.

  22. #292
    Basenotes Junkie Mak-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Without a doubt. Same with him mailing out preorder bottles with screw on atomizers without Teflon tape wrapping.

    Just because he’s an Oud legend doesn’t make him immune from making mistakes.
    These mistakes are too basic. I want to believe that there was a flaw or gap in design of the bottles.
    He is just a bit too versatile of a man with experience in various fields. When i listen to him, i know he has common sense.

  23. #293
    Basenotes Plus

    JBS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Just got this questionaire from Agar Aura/Taha .
    below copy&pasted

    I am a big believer in learning, adapting, and improving.
    If you have followed my journey over the past decade, you will have noticed that in my distillation philosophy: not settling for the status quo, rather always trying to learn, innovate, and improve.

    With Agar Aura's recent endeavor in spray perfumes, I learned that I have much to learn.
    From discovering that screw-on nozzles are a big no-no for spray perfumes (whereas screw caps are the norm for oud and attar oils), to learning how formulas must be modified when alcohol is added to the equation, its been an educational journey.

    But the most important thing to me is to hear from you.
    And for this, I would greatly appreciate it if you can participate in this short questionnaire:

    Click Here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...khSvQ/viewform

    And it would be awesome if you could share this questionnaire with others as well (Facebook & Email links below).


    Best regards,
    Taha
    Last edited by JBS1; 19th September 2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: cnatspeeel
    Currently wearing: Elite by Floris

  24. #294
    Basenotes Junkie Mak-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    What you all think about his endeavour to french perfumery?
    I say stay in the east. There are alot eastern perfumes, but not enough top notch eastern perfumes.

  25. #295

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AnyEmerald View Post
    I got back from my holidays last night. My Plumeria de Oris was the first I reached for from my deliveries. It seems to be quite musk dominant. I was surprised at how strong the musk note is and itís drowning out the other notes to me. Maybe my nose is playing up! Has the synthetic civet in this got more powerful over time since other earlier reviews? Is that even possible?
    Wrong thread?

    I hope Strifeknotís bottles are full when he gets them, for all of us that are waiting for decants

  26. #296
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    What you all think about his endeavour to french perfumery?
    I say stay in the east. There are alot eastern perfumes, but not enough top notch eastern perfumes.
    Just like with Russian Adam, I think if Taha goes the French route it might be a big flop and could potentially alienate customers by trying to appeal to the vintage perfume crowd. I feel like an entirely different skill set has to be mastered in order to pull off that kind of versatility and in my experience not many perfumers can do that well. At least not as good as the way they do eastern style perfumery.

    I love Al-Jazaab but if he started making more French derived perfumes I’d rather go to someone who has mastered French perfumery or is extremely well versed in it. It’s kind of the reason why I don’t seek out Oud based oriental perfumery from strictly western houses trying their hand at Oud perfumes. I’d rather go to a master like Taha, Ensar or Russian Adam for that.

    Sultan Pasha might be the only perfumer out right now capable of creating versatility with his collections and showing true sophistication in each category. I can only hope Taha comes out the gate swinging if he does plan to step into that world.

  27. #297

    Cool Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bl00drunzcold View Post
    Wrong thread?

    I hope Strifeknotís bottles are full when he gets them, for all of us that are waiting for decants
    Yep!

  28. #298
    Basenotes Plus
    HabibiGotIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    BROOKLYN / NORTHSIDE CHICAGO
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Just like with Russian Adam, I think if Taha goes the French route it might be a big flop and could potentially alienate customers by trying to appeal to the vintage perfume crowd. I feel like an entirely different skill set has to be mastered in order to pull off that kind of versatility and in my experience not many perfumers can do that well. At least not as good as the way they do eastern style perfumery.

    I love Al-Jazaab but if he started making more French derived perfumes I’d rather go to someone who has mastered French perfumery or is extremely well versed in it. It’s kind of the reason why I don’t seek out Oud based oriental perfumery from strictly western houses trying their hand at Oud perfumes. I’d rather go to a master like Taha, Ensar or Russian Adam for that.

    Sultan Pasha might be the only perfumer out right now capable of creating versatility with his collections and showing true sophistication in each category. I can only hope Taha comes out the gate swinging if he does plan to step into that world.
    There was an ALD big flop? When?

    I know you didn't mean that exactly, but this raises an interesting question. Look at the name Russian Adam chose for his brand: Areej le Dore, a mix of Arabic (oriental/eastern) and French (roughly, "Golden Fragrance"). Wasn't this project always supposed to be a blend of traditional eastern perfumery (Middle Eastern and South Asian traditions) with French perfumery? Maybe I'm misinformed. Unfortunately, I never got to try the early releases. The earliest I tried were Ottoman Empire II, Koh-i-Noor and Baikal Gris.

    Anyway, isn't Feel Oud his purely "oriental" project? Adam and Dmitry did some really cool things no one talks about, like reviving the traditional Indian attar tradition and distilling florals like champa and lotus into an oud base (a completely novel idea). I'm actually kicking myself for not ordering some of that sooner - it's on my list.

    Whatever Taha does, I just hope he does it well. Once you start making alcohol based perfumes, I feel like it's hard to stay within the attar/mukhallat tradition. Alternatively, I suppose he could stick to traditional oriental ingredients and simply dilute them in alcohol.

  29. #299

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Yes. But at these prices and with FOMO marketing added on top, these mistakes are inexcusable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    These mistakes are too basic. I want to believe that there was a flaw or gap in design of the bottles.
    He is just a bit too versatile of a man with experience in various fields. When i listen to him, i know he has common sense.
    This is how I sort of feel.. But I don't want to be too hard on him as he is a fantastic guy and seems to want to make things right, and I can't imagine in any reality he would of wanted this to occur, so it must of been as Mak said, just a really bad streak of luck with the bottles he chose (am hoping the official release didn't have many leaks too and I'm an anomaly..) After speaking to him, he has enough to make a replacement bottle, but is insisting on shipping it with full value declared and insurance. I totally understand and feel where he's coming from, but I'm in Canada, so I really fear what DHL may charge me, Fedex recently took $80 on a $150 package of mine.. I also paid the return shipping on my pre release bottles, so I really am hoping I can somehow get a kinam bottle replacement without having to drop a bunch more $, the initial price was already quite steep and hard on my wallet..

  30. #300
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    There was an ALD big flop? When?

    I know you didn't mean that exactly, but this raises an interesting question. Look at the name Russian Adam chose for his brand: Areej le Dore, a mix of Arabic (oriental/eastern) and French (roughly, "Golden Fragrance"). Wasn't this project always supposed to be a blend of traditional eastern perfumery (Middle Eastern and South Asian traditions) with French perfumery? Maybe I'm misinformed. Unfortunately, I never got to try the early releases. The earliest I tried were Ottoman Empire II, Koh-i-Noor and Baikal Gris.

    Anyway, isn't Feel Oud his purely "oriental" project? Adam and Dmitry did some really cool things no one talks about, like reviving the traditional Indian attar tradition and distilling florals like champa and lotus into an oud base (a completely novel idea). I'm actually kicking myself for not ordering some of that sooner - it's on my list.

    Whatever Taha does, I just hope he does it well. Once you start making alcohol based perfumes, I feel like it's hard to stay within the attar/mukhallat tradition. Alternatively, I suppose he could stick to traditional oriental ingredients and simply dilute them in alcohol.
    I never said there was flop nor did I call Russian adam’s release a flop. I said there was potential that it could flop and there most definitely has been pushback regarding the 6th collection. With Taha who has been an Oud distiller and Attar maker, stepping into the world of French perfumery could be hit or miss and I for one would sit that out if he went that route.




Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Agar aura
    By tushar in forum Items for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st May 2020, 10:01 PM
  2. Agar Aura
    By cwill in forum Online Shopping
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th January 2014, 03:39 PM
  3. OUD,s from Agar Aura
    By garionuk13 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th March 2011, 03:15 PM
  4. Agar Aura
    By ccck in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th January 2010, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000