Code of Conduct
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Oud Parisien: I've never tried classic french stuff, or any guerlian besides l'homme ideal, so I might not "get" what's going on but I'll try to give those without samples an idea...
    3:08 opens with sour lemons / sour oranges, orange peel; a cell of orange pulp filled with juice, mixed floral - flower petals
    trying to describe the overall feel of it… like a thick cotton shirt that has been scented with a citrus floral mix
    very much laundry citrus and florals but not in the dryer sheet texture or even the smell of them but in the meaning that the fruits and flowers that would be used to scent the dryer or detergent are these same ones... however they are much more "real" much less fuzzy and synthetic… the difference between tropicana OJ and OJ you just made in your juicer - lighter but real and and natural
    3:15 same, a container of citrus pulps and laundry florals being smelled through a cotton shirt
    theres something in the back of everything… play doughy kinda thing you can smell in agar de noir, … from oud or a woody note… the peru balsam?
    3:30 the oud or ambergris is a little fruity too, hides in with the citrus
    3:30 fruits n florals give way to more fruity floral oudy ambergris
    3:35 getting some lavender and geranium fougre style now. So no more citrus, this style instead
    3:40 vanilla and tonka? Spices?
    3:45 yes, vanilla, tonka, spices, balsam, light florals. This stage so much reminds me of agar de noir but remove the darkness/guiac/woody top notes and put in those pink green florals and citrus
    4:30 now more gourmand-y, balsam, sweet vanilla, sweet spices... but cedar is starting to come through now...

Quote Originally Posted by Swoleiosis View Post
    Hey my package came... ok right to the good stuff:
    Oud Lubani: There is no other way to describe this besides, light a coal, place frankincense, let it bubble, smell. There it is, haha. Only there's no smoke here!
    2:49 PM slight stink for 5 seconds revealing the type of oud used to create the frankincense smell, a green oud?… then right into that melting bubbling frankincense smell
    2:50 PM bubbling frankincense WITHOUT THE SMOKE, the lemony kind
    2:53 PM a little sweeter and less green sharp… more of a fully melted frank piece..
    2:57 PM getting dryer, bitter, sour ash and coal sometimes… back to the melted bubbling with lemon other times….
    3:15 PM 3:30 PM 3:40 same, no change
    Yep! That’s what I was stating before too, it’s exactly like that! I’ve seen sooo many times over the years and threads of people trying to find a burning incense fragrance...and now here is the truest version of that there can be, imo

Basenotes Plus

Well, it says my package was delivered , but I didn't get it.
    I have informed delivery , but it doesn't show up as an expected , or delivered.
    The regular updates you get from USPS says it was delivered .
    I'm so used to leaving instructions on the leaving whereabouts, and the package would just be placed on the front steps,
    that I gave up .
    The highlight of my day was getting home to my Agar Aura discovery set.
    Ya know, I've gotten other peoples packages delivered to me , and I brought them to their house and placed them on their stoop .
    Maybe I'll get lucky and karma will lead Taha's 2nd release back to me.
    But I know what happened .
    The postal person just set it on the steps , instead of putting it in the mailbox , or inside the door ,
    and somebody swiped it .
    I'm not the only person this happens too.
    That said though, it's not a shirt that I can reorder .
    I just wish people would follow through with their jobs.
    I really wanted this set more than anything.
    Fingers crossed on that karmic individual.
    I feel better I pitched a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    Well, it says my package was delivered , but I didn't get it.
    I have informed delivery , but it doesn't show up as an expected , or delivered.
    The regular updates you get from USPS says it was delivered .
    I'm so used to leaving instructions on the leaving whereabouts, and the package would just be placed on the front steps,
    that I gave up .
    The highlight of my day was getting home to my Agar Aura discovery set.
    Ya know, I've gotten other peoples packages delivered to me , and I brought them to their house and placed them on their stoop .
    Maybe I'll get lucky and karma will lead Taha's 2nd release back to me.
    But I know what happened .
    The postal person just set it on the steps , instead of putting it in the mailbox , or inside the door ,
    and somebody swiped it .
    I'm not the only person this happens too.
    That said though, it's not a shirt that I can reorder .
    I just wish people would follow through with their jobs.
    I really wanted this set more than anything.
    Fingers crossed on that karmic individual.
    I feel better I pitched a bitch.
    I REALLY hope that somehow it shows up. Geez, I feel sick for you.

jbs that sucks dude....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I REALLY hope that somehow it shows up. Geez, I feel sick for you.
    jbs that sucks dude....
    Appreciate the kindness.
    It happens .
    From now on, I'll do a hold on packages.
    It was my day off from work too.
    I went in for overtime .

Basenotes Plus

Just got this from Agar Aura

On October 31 at precisely 6:30 AM Malaysia time (click here to convert that to your local time zone), Agar Aura's second collection of extrait sprays will be officially launched.
    This time around, the orders can be placed directly on the website instead of having to send an email for reserving your purchase.
    Stay tuned!

quick thoughts:
    Agar Attar - uh this smells like Nabeel - Macho Man the tuscan leather roll-on clone xD it's like pure raspberry and oud "leather." I'd say this is the most like his oud oils because of the powerful "chemical" smell. The clean, strong oud blast is what I was looking for, but really none of these have it, they are all their own thing and very different like cheetah said a page ago.

Neriko - Complicated fruity opening that very quickly turns into pure, STRONG, mysore sandalwood. I do not get the licorice candy avrora and cheetah mentioned at all, but yes to mysore sandalwood. And not after 2 hours, more like in 5 minutes. Also has that play-dohy smell in the background, I guess that's just oud I keep smelling with these and with areej and sultan pasha?

Agar Parisien - still pretty sweet and nice hours later, fruity oakmoss drydown. i may just delete my earlier review because it is so hard to pin down and describe...

Oud Lubani - Like cheetah said, heat coal, place frank, smell, that's oud lubani! Unlike avrora and alvinsii I got zero "plasticy green oud."

Not sure if I'd want to buy any, leaning towards getting his oud oil instead. But there's still a week to test...

Basenotes Plus

quick thoughts:
    Agar Attar - uh this smells like Nabeel - Macho Man the tuscan leather roll-on clone xD it's like pure raspberry and oud "leather." I'd say this is the most like his oud oils because of the powerful "chemical" smell. The clean, strong oud blast is what I was looking for, but really none of these have it, they are all their own thing and very different like cheetah said a page ago.

Neriko - Complicated fruity opening that very quickly turns into pure, STRONG, mysore sandalwood. I do not get the licorice candy avrora and cheetah mentioned at all, but yes to mysore sandalwood. And not after 2 hours, more like in 5 minutes. Also has that play-dohy smell in the background, I guess that's just oud I keep smelling with these and with areej and sultan pasha?

Agar Parisien - still pretty sweet and nice hours later, fruity oakmoss drydown. i may just delete my earlier review because it is so hard to pin down and describe...

Oud Lubani - Like cheetah said, heat coal, place frank, smell, that's oud lubani! Unlike avrora and alvinsii I got zero "plasticy green oud."

Not sure if I'd want to buy any, leaning towards getting his oud oil instead. But there's still a week to test...
    Thanks for your and everyone else's thoughts on Taha's second relese.

quick thoughts:

Good thoughts on Neriko. That bit of licorice smell goes away fairly soon for me, especially on my wearing today. And your sandalwood thought, I’m right there with you now too. Initially I was missing that as I picked up on more of the pure Oud. I still get different vibes when I have my arm close, as opposed to when I catch a distant waft.

quick thoughts:

Hey at 10:45, 8 hours later, I'm finally at the drydown and I can smell the real Taha oud! It's great stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Good samaritan's still exist.
    Someone must have dropped off my discovery set last night after 8PM.
    I checked for the package about that time before I went to bed.
    When I went outside at 4;30 AM for work , the package was there.
    Did a 12 hour shift today , and I have to be out at the same time tomorrow,
    so I'll sample something from Taha's second release then .
    Just doing a 6 to 12 , so I'll have time to see how it develops .
    Till then.

that's such a relief

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    Good samaritan's still exist.
    Someone must have dropped off my discovery set last night after 8PM.
    I checked for the package about that time before I went to bed.
    When I went outside at 4;30 AM for work , the package was there.
    Did a 12 hour shift today , and I have to be out at the same time tomorrow,
    so I'll sample something from Taha's second release then .
    Just doing a 6 to 12 , so I'll have time to see how it develops .
    Till then.
    Sweet! I had a feeling it might show up!

after another day, I feel like you really need to catch the sillage of these vs smelling the skin directly. nose to skin just gets me that dull play doh, but when I go outside or just walk around, I'll smell real apricots and sandalwood in the air from neriko, or taha's oud, spices and tart berries with agar attar.

after another day, I feel like you really need to catch the sillage of these vs smelling the skin directly. nose to skin just gets me that dull play doh, but when I go outside or just walk around, I'll smell real apricots and sandalwood in the air from neriko, or taha's oud, spices and tart berries with agar attar.
    Spot on, these are all about catching the sillage or wafts, and they smell amazing from a short distance! It really is crazy how different the smell is when you try and smell them up close. The fresher, spicier, fruity, notes completely disappear.

full day of no arm-smelling-just-sillage with agar parisien. It's a linear fruit cocktail / fruity oakmoss / slight oud in the background.

also, did only three people on this board bother to order the samples?! xD I'm wondering how these "feel" compared to the first release, or compared to their attar versions.

Basenotes Plus

that's such a relief
    Sweet! I had a feeling it might show up!
    Thanks .Means a lot.

Did sample Agar Attar.
    It took a few minutes , much like how an Amouage develops on my skin, to waft up to my nostrils ,
    but when it did reach me, it was very noticeable .
    Nothing to dislike . It didn't make my temples twinge .I didn't find it pungent , nor was it anything like a metal storage cabinet that you house thinners in.
    I did experience an oud sample a couple years back , forgot the name , where it smelled like , well paint thinner.
    There was no greenness like in the description , and the fruity banana smelled like the old banana oil used in paints.
    That did fade , and it took awhile, but by then, I had a headache . I still have the sample someplace.
    I'll find the name and company and post it here. Maybe it's improved ?

With Taha's , i think I know why he calls it Agar Attar.
    It's sort of like one of his attars .
    This one though smooths out very nicely . What came to mind was amber .
    Not sure why, but maybe that's the thicker vanilla among the other sweet facets in the beginning.
    I do notice the spices more on my clothes more than on my skin.
    The stuff tends to spread around.
    So my thoughts, I might get a 3ml from strifeknot, and an attar from Taha, when he offers them again,
    they sell out quickly now, and layer them.
    Oh, while thinking of Amouage, I think it would be great if Taha , Ensar , Russian Adam etc,
    would consider making a homage to Amouage's Tribute. Love that one.
    Going to sample Oud Labani tomorrow.

Yup, Agar Attar, very nice wood.
    Last edited by JBS1; 25th October 2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: cnatspeeel

JBS1 have you ever tried Sultan Pasha’s Ame Sombre? It’s his tribute to Tribute. It’s unbelievably great. The G1(more expensive version) I might even like more than Tribute.

I'm not sure if I will participate this time. Neriko calls me, but my real interest goes to future vietnamese (and perhaps cambodian) Kinam interpretations. Beyond that, nothing seems to be that special to me or desirable.

Everything will be sold out within the first 10 minutes, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    I'm not sure if I will participate this time. Neriko calls me, but my real interest goes to future vietnamese (and perhaps cambodian) Kinam interpretations. Beyond that, nothing seems to be that special to me or desirable.

Same. I'm not feeling the magic in any of these the way I do with Kinam. When I first smelled Kinam I was just speechless, that didn't happen with any of these. Neriko is the only one I'm considering buying, but I'm feeling a bit 'meh' about all of it at the moment. They're all really nice, but I'm not wow'd and for the price (and the hassle of the ordering rush) I really want to be.
    Last edited by qja; 30th October 2020 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post

Share very similar sentiments that you have expressed here.

At this stage of my journey, I'm very selective about what I spend my cash on. The perfume either has to fill a space in a genre I'm running low on or be unique enough for me to take an interest in sampling it or risk blind buying. Can't be doing with a horde of frags that all run along a similar theme clogging up valuable real estate!
    Last edited by Sultan al Hindi; 26th October 2020 at 05:59 PM.

yeah I wanted to love these, but his oud oils are better. I'll hold out until he releases a perfume that smells like his oil, with its unique, unmistakable sharp clean smell, or at least has that as the main note / oud profile.

I think I’m going to sit this one out as well. I mean, Brandon gave one of them an 88. That’s like a 23 for him ;-)

yeah I wanted to love these, but his oud oils are better. I'll hold out until he releases a perfume that smells like his oil, with its unique, unmistakable sharp clean smell, or at least has that as the main note / oud profile.
    For me, Neriko comes closest to his oils in terms of a similar smell. From time to time I get a slight sweet anise, and I can smell the (dough) aspect you mentioned too. But I still get that strong sharp kinda clean aura for most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I think I’m going to sit this one out as well. I mean, Brandon gave one of them an 88. That’s like a 23 for him ;-)
    Man, that’s so funny cos it’s so true!

For me, Neriko comes closest to his oils in terms of a similar smell. From time to time I get a slight sweet anise, and I can smell the (dough) aspect you mentioned too. But I still get that strong sharp kinda clean aura for most of the time.
    It's funny because I only get the soft oud / sandalwood with neriko, but I felt that agar attar had the most "sharp aura" to it.

I really am so happy I got Suka Cita. That oil. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I really am so happy I got Suka Cita. That oil. Wow.
    yeah you got the good stuff :>

It's funny because I only get the soft oud / sandalwood with neriko, but I felt that agar attar had the most "sharp aura" to it.
    Agar Attar would be the next closest to me. The other two are completely different to me. AP might be a little to pungent fruity for me.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast