Code of Conduct
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    I think this will be a common problem caused by the dipstick vials; seems impossible to get the right amount out when using these.
    Yeah. It's always tricky with these kinds of vials, but I can see how underapplication could be more of a problem for AA samples than for your average LuckyScent sample - given the comparatively high price and limited availability. There's probably a bit too much caution involved, at least that was true in my case.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by avrora View Post
    All this Java talk got me to revisit my sample, and I now realize that I applied too little the first time around. The vetiver in here is absolutely beautiful, and Java is a real standout for me among all the AA collections - it's the first one that really speaks to me. The both chocolate-y and smoky vetiver reminds me somewhat of the use of vetiver in Fort & Manle's Bojnokopff, but this is just so much more smooth and natural smelling. I echo the sentiments stated earlier in this thread of the calming, grounding nature of this fragrance. It reminds me of some Di Sers in that sense, only it's got a completely different profile, darker and earthier. It definitely scratches a very specific itch, and I just ordered a bottle!
    Yeh, I often find this the case for spray based perfumes which come in dipstick samples.

Bought a whole load of 2ml empty atomiser sprays for this very reason, as it allows the perfume to be utilised the way it was made to. Gives you a completely different experience when the perfume covers a greater surface area rather than a tiny spot which you have to bring your nose to.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan al Hindi View Post
    Yeh, I often find this the case for spray based perfumes which come in dipstick samples.

Bought a whole load of 2ml empty atomiser sprays for this very reason, as it allows the perfume to be utilised the way it was made to. Gives you a completely different experience when the perfume covers a greater surface area rather than a tiny spot which you have to bring your nose to.
    Yeah, I usually do the same - but since my funds are limited and because I half didn't expect to find something that I really liked, I didn't want to ruin the re-sell value of this sample set... good thing you guys made me give it another shot.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Anyone see the new ouds released today via email? Thoughts?
    Current Favorites: Santal Galore (Areej le Dore), Kurokami (Di Ser), Sayat Nova (Bortnikoff)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JoniBorn View Post
    Anyone see the new ouds released today via email? Thoughts?
    Got me to apply a swipe of Myanma Gold as I contemplated his Ensar-esque verbiage...
    Saw me through the Areej le Dore sale without even glancing at the site. A first skipped ALD release in years.
    Left me wondering if you can combine three discount codes...
    The oils read very well in the links but I am into AA for six items so far and I am not getting the level of satisfaction I get from ALD, Elixir, Ensar, or Sultan Pasha.
    If the two "affordable" ones sell anywhere near like Myanma Gold did they won't be around long enough to sample. AA is giving me an aversion to blind buys while ramping up the FOMO. Khmer Atique hits my oud education level the best. Phd not required. Some of the descriptors for Lao Gold sell me, some say don't buy as it would be redundant. For myself I am thinking a soft pass on all but I will utilize my AA collection for the next couple of days and try to keep an open mind. What are your thoughts?

I’ve been looking for a Chinese or Vietnamese oil that has Kyara characteristics, so myitkinya is really tempting me. It’s either this or .5 of kyra Ltd 2.0...but I’m suuuuper torn as to which direction to go in.
    Current Favorites: Santal Galore (Areej le Dore), Kurokami (Di Ser), Sayat Nova (Bortnikoff)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    You all convinced me to blind buy Java. Can’t really imagine it being better than Khmer Kinam but it doesn’t really have to be
    Hopefully you bought Java from Taha , for it's Sold Out
    Some of the others moved quickly today too .

Banned

Default Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    Hopefully you bought Java from Taha , for it's Sold Out
    Some of the others moved quickly today too .
    I sure did! Luckily! Didn’t expect it to sell out so fast though, Taha’s collections have been sticking around. But I guess for such a well received fragrance at a relatively low price (by Taha and Ensar standards), it’s not really a surprise.

I haven’t gotten it though, it’s been in USPS limbo for over a week, basically dropped off the tracker. Now I don’t necessarily care that
    It’s going to be delivered late, I’m concerned that it’s stuck in a truck or open warehouse in an arctic vortex and is literally below zero Celsius for who knows how long. This is literally how delicate natural fragrances get damaged.

Dependent

I’ve been looking for a Chinese or Vietnamese oil that has Kyara characteristics, so myitkinya is really tempting me. It’s either this or .5 of kyra Ltd 2.0...but I’m suuuuper torn as to which direction to go in.
    Tough decision but either should be rewarding. Maybe more wearings vs a collectable?
    Went to move on Khmer Atique this morning only to find it sold out already. Less than a day... business is good. Sleeping on purchases can be risky.
    Best of luck with your decision.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    Tough decision but either should be rewarding. Maybe more wearings vs a collectable?
    Went to move on Khmer Atique this morning only to find it sold out already. Less than a day... business is good. Sleeping on purchases can be risky.
    Best of luck with your decision.
    It’s not sold out. Oud Mogilla on Instagram bought up the bulk of it so it’ll be available through him! He resells a lot of awesome oils including a huge selection of Agar Aura oils so you’re not out of luck or anything.

I went with Siam 4K. After trying Mynma Gold and being completely blown away by the kinamic presence it exhibits for the price point I want to further explore that profile. Jumping into a pure Thai Kinamic oil sounds amazing and it’s not often you find a deal like this. I eventually want to try all of Ensar’s Kinam/kinamic oils but for the price and the quantity going with Mynma Gold was a no brainer as is Siam 4K.

I have a little experience with burning some wonderful Vietnamese Kinam from a brother over on the Ouddict forum and I highly suggest anyone that wants to experience the Kinamic profile at an affordable price to try the wood from Olekactory.
    Currently wearing: Lustre by Hiram Green

I reached out to
    Taha, and based on what I was looking for, he sold me some Vietnam Special K, (I think this is a new batch?). I’m very excited to enjoy this oil, as it’s exactly what I was looking for. Cool, bitter, kinamic Vietnamese oil, distilled Taha style! Mind buzz galore .

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    It’s not sold out. Oud Mogilla on Instagram bought up the bulk of it so it’ll be available through him! He resells a lot of awesome oils including a huge selection of Agar Aura oils so you’re not out of luck or anything.

I went with Siam 4K. After trying Mynma Gold and being completely blown away by the kinamic presence it exhibits for the price point I want to further explore that profile. Jumping into a pure Thai Kinamic oil sounds amazing and it’s not often you find a deal like this. I eventually want to try all of Ensar’s Kinam/kinamic oils but for the price and the quantity going with Mynma Gold was a no brainer as is Siam 4K.

I have a little experience with burning some wonderful Vietnamese Kinam from a brother over on the Ouddict forum and I highly suggest anyone that wants to experience the Kinamic profile at an affordable price to try the wood from Olekactory.
    If I am reading the original email correctly there may be another chance to purchase directly from Taha. If not I may go to the alternate. Will follow him on Instagram regardless so thanks for the info. The day did end well as I ordered Siam 4K with a side of Lao Gold as consolations so to speak. Love your SOTD. Enjoy your S4K.

Banned

Java was just delivered today. This fragrance really is quite an experience with lots of development; I need to spend a lot more time with this one. I'm not a huge fan of vetiver in large quantities and this has tons of it but my first impression is that this is very well done and I like it much better than Bortnikoff's Vétiver Nocturne Absolu which has some pretty amazing vetiver in it but was simply overwhelming to a point that I just wanted it to end.

My spouse said that I smelled like "old Indian man" but that he "couldn't decide whether he likes it or not" - which is saying a lot for someone who was repulsed by Vétiver Nocturne Absolu and probably as good of a response as I'm going to get from him for a vetiver-centric scent.

Still in stock at Sealed Essence btw but it looks like the price went up. https://www.sealedessence.com/product/java/

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Java was just delivered today. This fragrance really is quite an experience with lots of development; I need to spend a lot more time with this one. I'm not a huge fan of vetiver in large quantities and this has tons of it but my first impression is that this is very well done and I like it much better than Bortnikoff's Vétiver Nocturne Absolu which has some pretty amazing vetiver in it but was simply overwhelming to a point that I just wanted it to end.

My spouse said that I smelled like "old Indian man" but that he "couldn't decide whether he likes it or not" - which is saying a lot for someone who was repulsed by Vétiver Nocturne Absolu and probably as good of a response as I'm going to get from him for a vetiver-centric scent.

Still in stock at Sealed Essence btw but it looks like the price went up. https://www.sealedessence.com/product/java/
    Yikes! A 140 dollar mark up is quite extortionate considering they were selling it for the original price a few weeks ago.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dependent

Siam 4K is unbelievably good. For a Thai oil this redefines everything I thought a Thai should smell like or what it could smell like with the right materials and distillation techniques.

Lots of depth to this one. Top and mid note driven.

Makes your throat go numb with a fat swipe and deep inhale.

I’m thoroughly impressed. For my first major Oud purchase I wasn’t let down.

I want to chime in on two oils I just received from AA. (One was a sample swipe which I immediately ordered a bottle of, the other a blind bottle purchase).

Let’s start with the sample, Lao Gold. If you’ve ever wanted a cinnamon-laced caramel apple, bottled up with mind-buzz, and a Oud-tea drydown, that’s what you’ll find here. It’s foodie, it’s buzzed, it’s boozy, it’s delicious, and it’s beautiful. If I blind swiped this oil, I’d tell you it was a Royal grade Borneo, not a $400-ish Laotian. There are so many layers to unfold here. There’s the tart metallic-gold apple top note, which, I’m having a hard time believing is actually Oud, and not juice from a fresh granny-smith, there’s the buttery heart, filled with cinnamon, spices, and a whisper of vanilla, and then there’s the Oud-a-Licious tea/hay drydown (revealing it’s true Laotian routes). My opinion of Oud from Laos has taken a complete 180; and I don’t ever want to hear any excuse from distillers for a “necessary” fermentation soak for Laotian oils, because Lao Gold proves them wrong. It’s crystal-pure (sans any hint of fermentation), and still EXTREMELY rich. My guess is this oil will sell out quickly once the next batch is officially posted.

Next up, Vietnan Special K:

This is the oil I have been longing for over the course of my “Oud Journey”. Pure kinamic notes stemming from a co-distillation of Vietnamese and Hainan agarwood. On swipe, the oil is somewhat quiet, but, as if it were on a kodo heater, it slowly whisps up, and reveals icy-green Kyara, laced with a buttery yellow mind-buzz, and then piercing bitterness. On drydown, the Hainan woody-ness takes over. Perfectly medicinal. Completely bitter. I want to give this oil a few more applications before I attempt to describe it in more detail, but in short, it’s earth-shatteringly stunning. I almost crashed my car when I was smelling my wrist, completely entranced by this oil. Sorry Suka Cita, move over, I’ve got a new favorite AA oil.

I want to chime in on two oils I just received from AA. (One was a sample swipe which I immediately ordered a bottle of, the other a blind bottle purchase).

Let’s start with the sample, Lao Gold. If you’ve ever wanted a cinnamon-laced caramel apple, bottled up with mind-buzz, and a Oud-tea drydown, that’s what you’ll find here. It’s foodie, it’s buzzed, it’s boozy, it’s delicious, and it’s beautiful. If I blind swiped this oil, I’d tell you it was a Royal grade Borneo, not a $400-ish Laotian. There are so many layers to unfold here. There’s the tart metallic-gold apple top note, which, I’m having a hard time believing is actually Oud, and not juice from a fresh granny-smith, there’s the buttery heart, filled with cinnamon, spices, and a whisper of vanilla, and then there’s the Oud-a-Licious tea/hay drydown (revealing it’s true Laotian routes). My opinion of Oud from Laos has taken a complete 180; and I don’t ever want to hear any excuse from distillers for a “necessary” fermentation soak for Laotian oils, because Lao Gold proves them wrong. It’s crystal-pure (sans any hint of fermentation), and still EXTREMELY rich. My guess is this oil will sell out quickly once the next batch is officially posted.

Next up, Vietnan Special K:

This is the oil I have been longing for over the course of my “Oud Journey”. Pure kinamic notes stemming from a co-distillation of Vietnamese and Hainan agarwood. On swipe, the oil is somewhat quiet, but, as if it were on a kodo heater, it slowly whisps up, and reveals icy-green Kyara, laced with a buttery yellow mind-buzz, and then piercing bitterness. On drydown, the Hainan woody-ness takes over. Perfectly medicinal. Completely bitter. I want to give this oil a few more applications before I attempt to describe it in more detail, but in short, it’s earth-shatteringly stunning. I almost crashed my car when I was smelling my wrist, completely entranced by this oil. Sorry Suka Cita, move over, I’ve got a new favorite AA oil.
    Wow!

Dependent

Just to add to the beautiful review above, after sitting with Siam 4K I have to say this is absolutely a new reference in wild Thai oil.

Siam 4K opens with an interesting fresh hay meets copper pot dipped in golden honey and spices. There’s an interesting herbal facet here that reminds me of a Chinese medicine shop sans the musk-meets-medicinal Hainan Aura. At first you’d think you’re smelling an ultra clean Hindi distillation but within minutes the most beautiful honeyed Thai-like syrup graces the opening. From here a massive horizontal spectrum builds up steam and where most Thai oils start to thin out and feel wet or damp Siam 4K showcases an interesting cream texture that oozes sesquiterpenes galore. It feels like yellow Kyra meets peppery green dragons breath. All of this happens within 15-20 minutes.

As the oil warms up on your skin the projection increases by the minute. I became nose blind to this scent easily but even after showering and changing clothes my wife said Siam 4K still choked her out in the car. Imagine the peak Thai experience and stretch it out over an entire day. At no point is there any off notes or wet, moldy woods. In fact this is purely resinous. Peppery, green kyara dominates the drydown that feels like Oud Yusuf on steroids. At this point Siam 4K is most reminiscent of what you’d expect from a Thai except the depth is limitless. It never feels boring and every time you take a whiff you’re entire throat goes numb.

Overall this is a gamble for anyone that feels Thai oil are boring because yes, you’re getting a Thai. BUT this also reads like a Vietnamese oil with the tenacious green dragons breath everyone is chasing lately. This is probably the most wearable oil I’ve ever smelled. There’s not a single moment where I’m not in total shock and awe at it’s beauty.

10 hours of performance which is well worth the price tag.

For the people who purchased Khmer Kinam, what are your thoughts after several wearings?

Quote Originally Posted by Balushi View Post
    For the people who purchased Khmer Kinam, what are your thoughts after several wearings?
    I’m loving it. Trying to use it sparingly. I love the Smokey-peat like opening, and then the creamy, buzzed heart. Oudilicious. I don’t have experience with Agar Attar or Kinam Attar V1, but I think the value is there if you’re looking for a kinamic Oud perfume.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Balushi View Post
    I am several wearings into it and my first round was not particularly good due to very cold dry weather. Today I started with Elixir Attars Ghaliya Rouge which features a prominent dose off Ensar Oud Kinam Rouge. The KR is glorious and makes an unmistakable massive contribution to the wearing experience. I would own some KR but it is too dear at the current $1,000.00 USD for 2 grams. I went to order it for the recent discounted price but missed the "sale" by a few hours... Now wearing Khmer Kinam on my opposite side as my SOTE and doing a little comparison. The Kinam notes are as billed and the perfume performs well so long as the weather isn't too cold. I have been dabbling in a number of ouds of late and would recommend Khmer Kinam as a good buy without reservation. I am not great at the verbiage like other posters but be assured it is a top tier scent worthy of the asking price.

Dependent

Agar Aura has a few newer oils available now... SIAM 4K, Lao Gold, and Malay Atique. There is also a sample pack with all three. Going to give MA a shot.

Basenotes Plus

Agar Aura has a few newer oils available now... SIAM 4K, Lao Gold, and Malay Atique. There is also a sample pack with all three. Going to give MA a shot.
    Wow, a lot of it is already sold .
    https://agaraura.com/oud-products.html#oud-oils

Coupon Codes

NEW OUD OILS RELEASED ��
    Coupon codes (valid until 10 April 2020):

70OFFS4K $70 off Siam 4K
    40OFFLAO $40 off Lao Gold
    20OFFMAT $20 off Malay Atique
    FREESHIP Free shipping over $500
    Last edited by JBS1; 31st March 2021 at 11:31 PM. Reason: cnatspeeel

WOW! Just busted out a spray of Soryo No Kaori from my sample bought last year. I love this bare bones top shelf ingredients style. I would love to find a bottle of this or Al Jazaab. I do love Kinam Attar too but something about Soryo and Al Jazaab that just pull me in.

I’m getting a sample of it(coming today I think). Definitely interested to see what kind of an oil Taha likes enough to resell. You kind of always know what to expect with Agar Aura distillation. Honestly this doesn’t totally do it for me, knowing Taha didnt distill it... but who knows, if he likes it enough to resell it, it might be amazing.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I’m getting a sample of it(coming today I think). Definitely interested to see what kind of an oil Taha likes enough to resell. You kind of always know what to expect with Agar Aura distillation. Honestly this doesn’t totally do it for me, knowing Taha didnt distill it... but who knows, if he likes it enough to resell it, it might be amazing.
    Been wearing mine for almost 24 hours. Can't pick out all the notes Taha describes but overall his description is solid. This is all about its base rather than the top. Thick, dark, gooey, and tar like in consistency. Unlike the other Agar Aura I have but it fits my needs well. A new region and profile for my modest collection. Pleased with the purchase... Looking forward to your thoughts.

Been wearing mine for almost 24 hours. Can't pick out all the notes Taha describes but overall his description is solid. This is all about its base rather than the top. Thick, dark, gooey, and tar like in consistency. Unlike the other Agar Aura I have but it fits my needs well. A new region and profile for my modest collection. Pleased with the purchase... Looking forward to your thoughts.
    Update. It came. I’m wearing it. Very much not an “Agar Aura” Oud but fantastic first impression. If I got this as a sample from Ensar I’d be thrilled. It’s his “old school” style. Nice and resinous with a great dark Oud base and beautiful top notes of jungle-minty-green-leafy stuff and pronounced oakmoss! The oakmoss effect is VERY STRONG... very interesting. Not getting the sweet stuff Taha describes but this is very worth a sample for the curious.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Just got my samples today also.

Malay Atique . No patchouli notes listed in description ?
    Last edited by JBS1; 8th April 2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: cnatspeeel

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31