Code of Conduct
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1180

Default Re: Agar Aura - Official discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber6685 View Post
    How's the Kelantan comparing to Neriko and Agar Parisien? does it have the same type of Bengay/IcyHot menthol vibe?
    Neriko and Agar parisien are 2 different beasts. AP is green, cool with a bit of a smoke, like a pleasant cigarette smoke stuck to a tshirt.
    Neriko is a very much oud composition that on me had a few stages of oud, Thai, chinese and maybe malay. There is a pinch of sweetness to it from the fruits, and then it settles to an earthy accord. Out of the whole 2nd collection this one is the most oudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    So... Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT is Ketchup for you speaking about fragrances? Have you ever tried it, Dothraki? Which one? The discontinued version? the OG blend? Both? Do you know what that fragrance means for the entire industry? Maybe you should do some tourism outside the artisanal corner for a while(!). You will for sure understand what we, Proust and I, are discussing on Ensar's thread with you and you would maybe take all this not that personal.

For me, Kinam Attar is not a finished product, although it smells deep, pleasant and simplistic. That's why I mix it with real blends. Neriko and Al-Arabiya are another different story, but still not a filet.
    Itís finished to me. Less is more with good ingredients. I canít do the synthetics but to each their own. I prefer mine to be naturally in full glory, same with my food. Of course I donít practice with food as much as I should. I guess I prefer quality over ďreal blendsĒ. And Iím not taking anything personal, maybe you are though? Itís ok you can like what you like, I donít hold it against ya lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    Itís finished to me. Less is more with good ingredients. I canít do the synthetics but to each their own. I prefer mine to be naturally in full glory, same with my food. Of course I donít practice with food as much as I should. I guess I prefer quality over ďreal blendsĒ. And Iím not taking anything personal, maybe you are though? Itís ok you can like what you like, I donít hold it against ya lol.
    When you state that Chanel CdR EDT, which I'm sure you have never smelled, is Ketchup and Sultan Pasha's work is garbage just to praise Taha and Ensar, yes, you are taking it personal; not against me, that was not my point, against the truth about these good proto-perfumers.

And by the way, Ensar took Chanel Cuir de Russie as his major inspiration for your adored OG SLA, so maybe you should take my advice, especially because vintage perfumery had more or less the same ratio of naturals than, let's say, Bortnikoff and Areej le Dorť, so I am sure that you can 'do their synthetics', but with masterful skills and blends.

I stop here with you, Dothraki.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Neriko and Agar parisien are 2 different beasts. AP is green, cool with a bit of a smoke, like a pleasant cigarette smoke stuck to a tshirt.
    Neriko is a very much oud composition that on me had a few stages of oud, Thai, chinese and maybe malay. There is a pinch of sweetness to it from the fruits, and then it settles to an earthy accord. Out of the whole 2nd collection this one is the most oudy.

Would you say the Kelantan is a better composition than both Neriko and AP? I have only tried the first and second collections, haven't got a chance to sample the newer stuff, trying to gauge where the Kelantan fit in between the previous releases. It seems like Taha is using the cola/menthol trick to extend the performance of his second collection, which I think he mentioned it's the "trick" he's been using on one of his previous video, the same cola/menthol vibe i'm getting from some of the first collection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber6685 View Post
    Would you say the Kelantan is a better composition than both Neriko and AP? I have only tried the first and second collections, haven't got a chance to sample the newer stuff, trying to gauge where the Kelantan fit in between the previous releases. It seems like Taha is using the cola/menthol trick to extend the performance of his second collection, which I think he mentioned it's the "trick" he's been using on one of his previous video, the same cola/menthol vibe i'm getting from some of the first collection as well.
    I didnt try Kelantan and overall dropping out of AA game, since its not for me.
    I got samples of the 3rd collection and its not doing it for me. Java was good, but not the money hes asking good.
    His more about material, and even with that, i can hardly discern oud in his compositions apart of a few.
    Longevity and strength wise, 2nd collection improved a bit, and 3rd is about 6-7hrs longevity without that menthol thing

I got samples of the 3rd collection and its not doing it for me. Java was good, but not the money hes asking good.
    His more about material, and even with that, i can hardly discern oud in his compositions apart of a few.
    Longevity and strength wise, 2nd collection improved a bit, and 3rd is about 6-7hrs longevity without that menthol thing
    I missed the 2nd and 3rd collections...were they similar to the 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr B1414 View Post
    None. Get a sample of his Vietnan Special K. That should satisfy your request.
    Awesome. HOpe it's still available!

Just a question: Have you tried AA oils on their own? If not, I can really imagine it's harder to discern the ouds as Taha's oils are quite special and not as typical in your face oud as others. They're often clean and airy. But when you're familiar with Taha's oils style, it's maybe easier to smell the oud in the extraits?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    Just a question: Have you tried AA oils on their own? If not, I can really imagine it's harder to discern the ouds as Taha's oils are quite special and not as typical in your face oud as others. They're often clean and airy. But when you're familiar with Taha's oils style, it's maybe easier to smell the oud in the extraits?
    I agree with that .
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

So I can always smell KtB the next day when I wake up. I can’t tell if it’s maybe the sandalwood that’s hanging on? You’d think it’d be the Oud but sometimes it comes across as salty and sometimes like sticking my nose in a jar of sandalwood chips. Even this late of a drydown smells woody fresh, clean and fantastic. I’m wondering if that’s the Vietnan Special K? The sandalwood? or something else?

So I can always smell KtB the next day when I wake up. I can’t tell if it’s maybe the sandalwood that’s hanging on? You’d think it’d be the Oud but sometimes it comes across as salty and sometimes like sticking my nose in a jar of sandalwood chips. Even this late of a drydown smells woody fresh, clean and fantastic. I’m wondering if that’s the Vietnan Special K? The sandalwood? or something else?
    I'd say it's the sandalwood, at least that's what I'm always left with the next day after swiping KtB in the evening. While I've warmed up to KtB more since I've got it (I especially enjoy the camphorous vibe in the opening), I still prefer VSK a lot more on its own...

Same for me, and I’m sure it’s the sandalwood. I’ve gotten my nose on 8 of Taha’s oils and 6 of these new perfumes now over a few years, and to me, the best overall smell is KtB. And the performance is really good too!

I'd say it's the sandalwood, at least that's what I'm always left with the next day after swiping KtB in the evening. While I've warmed up to KtB more since I've got it (I especially enjoy the camphorous vibe in the opening), I still prefer VSK a lot more on its own...
    I haven’t tried VSK but I’m sure it’s fantastic, although I could appreciate it as a stand-alone Oud...I can’t see it putting KtB to the side for me. It’s just too dang good. But yeah, VSK must be amazing I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Same for me, and I’m sure it’s the sandalwood. I’ve gotten my nose on 8 of Taha’s oils and 6 of these new perfumes now over a few years, and to me, the best overall smell is KtB. And the performance is really good too!
    Glad you and Tosef validated that for me because I didn’t think it’d be that clear and present still but thought it smelled like it. That sandalwood is crazy! It smells different than other sandalwoods I’ve tried. Like more alive and more “visible” or something. I only tried the first collection of Taha’s. I absolutely loved all 3. How did the 2nd and 3rd collections compare? I definitely say KtB could have been from the first collection, it fits right in and would’ve been the star of the show IMO. Addicting as heck. I hope he does more Attars soon!

Just received my bottle of KTB and I’m a bit baffled by it. It may be a settling thing, since it’s been traveling in the heat but I don’t get the Vietnan Special K from it OR Sandalwood. Mostly I’m getting cedarwood// bbq vibes? Interesting. But I’m also not discouraged because often Taha’s stuff takes a few wearing for my brain to sort the elements. Some oils are invisible, others smell poisonous. It’s fascinating how these high-top-note, brain busters take a while for me to figure them out. Often times changing radically over the course of a month. Sometimes I can taste them on my tongue before I can smell them. Like the heavy breathing numbs my palette. Then days later the scent starts to come across. I think the compounds overwhelm my senses, in a literal way, hence the nose blindness to some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Just received my bottle of KTB and I’m a bit baffled by it. It may be a settling thing, since it’s been traveling in the heat but I don’t get the Vietnan Special K from it OR Sandalwood. Mostly I’m getting cedarwood// bbq vibes? Interesting. But I’m also not discouraged because often Taha’s stuff takes a few wearing for my brain to sort the elements. Some oils are invisible, others smell poisonous. It’s fascinating how these high-top-note, brain busters take a while for me to figure them out. Often times changing radically over the course of a month. Sometimes I can taste them on my tongue before I can smell them. Like the heavy breathing numbs my palette. Then days later the scent starts to come across. I think the compounds overwhelm my senses, in a literal way, hence the nose blindness to some of them.
    I’m not sure what the special K smells like by itself but I definitely get Oud so I’m assuming it’s the VSK. For me I get huge amounts of sandalwood some days and more Oud with almost no sandalwood others ...depending on how my nose brain interprets it I guess. I definitely get that bbq wood smell other times too...I love it. It changes throughout the wear for me as well. Like I’ll get smoked almost charred woodsy vibe, then almost all sandalwood, then all Oud, then a mix...back and forth like this in 5-10 minute waves throughout the wear. Then I’ll step outside and it’ll change my nose even more lol. It’s a shapeshifter between those notes, including that great signature scent that almost all the AAs I tried have. It’s like a natural salty woodsy sometimes camphorus smell. This one rose to the top of the ranks for me very quickly. I think (like all ouds) it shines best outdoors around trees and foliage. If I was in a hammock I’d take a few big fat swipes, smear it all over myself and be in nature heaven.

Maybe you’ll have a similar experience that I do with the shape shifting. I’m gonna go slather up and hit the backyard with the mutt! Happy Friday!

I’m not sure what the special K smells like by itself but I definitely get Oud so I’m assuming it’s the VSK. For me I get huge amounts of sandalwood some days and more Oud with almost no sandalwood others ...depending on how my nose brain interprets it I guess. I definitely get that bbq wood smell other times too...I love it. It changes throughout the wear for me as well. Like I’ll get smoked almost charred woodsy vibe, then almost all sandalwood, then all Oud, then a mix...back and forth like this in 5-10 minute waves throughout the wear. Then I’ll step outside and it’ll change my nose even more lol. It’s a shapeshifter between those notes, including that great signature scent that almost all the AAs I tried have. It’s like a natural salty woodsy sometimes camphorus smell. This one rose to the top of the ranks for me very quickly. I think (like all ouds) it shines best outdoors around trees and foliage. If I was in a hammock I’d take a few big fat swipes, smear it all over myself and be in nature heaven.

Maybe you’ll have a similar experience that I do with the shape shifting. I’m gonna go slather up and hit the backyard with the mutt! Happy Friday!
    Awesome. You just got me excited to wear it outside and find all those other pieces. Thanks!!!

I would agree with this to an extent. I’m not calling it the best yet, but it very well could be perched on top of all Attars and Extraits. Which is saying a lot considering Kinam Attar is pretty amazing. The original SNK is no slouch either. Also, I really hope he does a musk creation again soon. His musk Attars (I’ve sampled 3) are fantastic. However, his Royal level oils blow them all away, but this is more a personal preference for pure Oud. Royal Malinau, Royal Malaku, Royal Sumatra, and Cintaku are on an entirely different level to me. JTB may be the “Best Buy” of all of them though. It IS def a stunner outside.
    Currently wearing: Agar Attar by Agar Aura

I realized when checking the website that Agar Attar is still available. Can anyone say something about it again? Does it compare in anyway to Kelantan?

I realized when checking the website that Agar Attar is still available. Can anyone say something about it again? Does it compare in anyway to Kelantan?
    I wondered about it too. There’s a review that mentions a big raspberry note from the strawberry in it. How is Kelantan compared to the first collection or KtB?

Kelantan is nice, very potent, and does have some elements of Agar Attar. At times I definitely smelled some dry strawberry in AA, but I don’t in Kelantan.

Kelantan is nice, very potent, and does have some elements of Agar Attar. At times I definitely smelled some dry strawberry in AA, but I don’t in Kelantan.
    Kelantan really grew on me, after I didn't care for it much initially. Especially also because it is quite potent. How about AA? And does it have a similar incense/smoke vibe as Kelantan? Somehow AA was always tempting me for the concept of having lots of different regions/profiles.

Kelantan really grew on me, after I didn't care for it much initially. Especially also because it is quite potent. How about AA? And does it have a similar incense/smoke vibe as Kelantan? Somehow AA was always tempting me for the concept of having lots of different regions/profiles.
    AA is not as loud as Kelantan, but definitely strong enough. You don’t ever need to go searching for it so to speak. I don’t get an incense type smell from it, but definitely some smoky woods with that previously mentioned faint strawberries or something of that nature.

Awesome. You just got me excited to wear it outside and find all those other pieces. Thanks!!!
    How’s the KtB going for you? I took a swipe to the arm tonight and sitting in the grass huffing it into my brain. About 20 min in I’m getting that cinnamon bark sandalwood again. Sometimes when I smell the sandalwood it’s all sandalwood for that moment but sometimes it’s what I describe as cinnamon bark woodsy dry sandalwood smell. I’m not sure exactly what cinnamon bark smells like but it’s what I’d picture it to smell like. Yesterday I got tons of Oud, I love how it’s playing out for me so far and seems to be getting better with each wear. This is an all time favorite for me. Right now top 5 of everything I own or have tried.

So I've just ordered Myitkyina 4K and Kelantan.

I kind of did a 180 on kelantan. First time I tried it I felt it was the one I like least out of the new collection. I couldn't shake the LDDM association. After few wearings I really appreciated it for it's vibe of coming back into a room in which you've just heated a very resinous chunk of Malay oud on coal. Also, the performance of Kelantan is greag, especially for a natural. Usually I'm a 5-6 sprays kinda guy but with Kelantan 2-3 sprays is enough.

How’s the KtB going for you? I took a swipe to the arm tonight and sitting in the grass huffing it into my brain. About 20 min in I’m getting that cinnamon bark sandalwood again. Sometimes when I smell the sandalwood it’s all sandalwood for that moment but sometimes it’s what I describe as cinnamon bark woodsy dry sandalwood smell. I’m not sure exactly what cinnamon bark smells like but it’s what I’d picture it to smell like. Yesterday I got tons of Oud, I love how it’s playing out for me so far and seems to be getting better with each wear. This is an all time favorite for me. Right now top 5 of everything I own or have tried.
    I got a bottle of Siam Special K at the same time and that one has been blowing my mind. Sweetest, gooiest, most resiny Thai I could ever imagine. So it’s taken over my arm space lol. I don’t know if it’s New York air or what but some days KTB is a little to cedar smoked wood bbq for me and some days it goes to that perfect spicy sandalwood meets Kinam cinnamon Oud that I really want. But when it’s bbq smoked wood on me, my partner haaaaates it. So it’s been a little hit and miss for me. But when it hits right, I get the hype.

Ps I think your description of it was 100% dead on.

I kind of did a 180 on kelantan. First time I tried it I felt it was the one I like least out of the new collection. I couldn't shake the LDDM association. After few wearings I really appreciated it for it's vibe of coming back into a room in which you've just heated a very resinous chunk of Malay oud on coal. Also, the performance of Kelantan is greag, especially for a natural. Usually I'm a 5-6 sprays kinda guy but with Kelantan 2-3 sprays is enough.
    Yeah, I’m really impressed with the potency and performance of Kelantan too!

I got a bottle of Siam Special K at the same time and that one has been blowing my mind. Sweetest, gooiest, most resiny Thai I could ever imagine. So it’s taken over my arm space lol. I don’t know if it’s New York air or what but some days KTB is a little to cedar smoked wood bbq for me and some days it goes to that perfect spicy sandalwood meets Kinam cinnamon Oud that I really want. But when it’s bbq smoked wood on me, my partner haaaaates it. So it’s been a little hit and miss for me. But when it hits right, I get the hype.

Ps I think your description of it was 100% dead on.
    I definitely hear ya about this dank humidity right now. It’s like a jungle out there! The Siam sounds awesome. Is the sweetness similar to the sweet fruityness in most Oud? Or is it totally different? I remember Ensar’s Oud Extraordinaire was like cherry pie filling, a good example if you’ve tried it...or the Kastalana, that fruityness. Unfortunately I haven’t tried any of Taha’s straight ouds so my only reference is Ensar stuff.

Myitkyina 4K is insanely good. The more I wear it, the better it gets. So complex and checks so many boxes as far as the scent profile goes. Never smelled an oil like this. Insane performance as well. This one almost goes at the top for me with my current favorite oil, Nha Trang Ultima from IO. I'll get a bottle of Vietnan SK later in August and see if that one deserves its praise, but Myitkyina definitely does.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr B1414 View Post
    Myitkyina 4K is insanely good. The more I wear it, the better it gets. So complex and checks so many boxes as far as the scent profile goes. Never smelled an oil like this. Insane performance as well. This one almost goes at the top for me with my current favorite oil, Nha Trang Ultima from IO. I'll get a bottle of Vietnan SK later in August and see if that one deserves its praise, but Myitkyina definitely does.
    Such a brilliant Oud. If you like Myitkyina 4K & IO Ultima, I have a feeling Vietnan Special K is gonna make you happy.

Such a brilliant Oud. If you like Myitkyina 4K & IO Ultima, I have a feeling Vietnan Special K is gonna make you happy.
    I am looking forward to it))

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast