Code of Conduct

Default Looking for recommendations for classic fragrances (timeless classic or modern classics are fine!)

I recently became aware that Saks here reopened so want to stop by next week for some fragrance shopping. I'd love to get another classic, must have fragrance or two, something that my wardrobe is lacking. Ideally not something entirely too similar to anything I already own but same genre is fine of course.

I'm a woman but will happily wear feminines, unisex fragrances, and even masuclines provided they aren't "too much". I love florals of all kinds (rose, white florals, etc etc...), orientals, chypres, rich gourmands, boozy fragrances, animalics. Great longevity and sillage is a plus. Of course at this point I enjoy things that stand out somehow and is different from what I own yet still has a place in my wardrobe.

Lately I feel I've been shopping mostly niche and even branched into some indie houses, so I'd like to go back to trying some of the great designer fragrances that my wardrobe is suspiciously missing. (Of course niche recommendations are welcomed too if anyone knows one I will absolutely love.)

For whatever reason, I don't like Angel much at all (though I do enjoy some fragrances that were obviously inspired by or pay homage to it) or Flowerbomb.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Dependent

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for classic fragrances (timeless classic or modern classics are fine

There are a lot so pay attention carefully.
    Just off the top of my head:

No 5
    No 19
    No 22
    Cuir de Russie
    31 Rue Cambon
    Coco
    Bois de Iles
    Egoiste
    Pour Monsieur
    Apres L'Ondee
    Mitsouko
    Shalimar
    Chamade
    Nahema
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Habit Rouge
    Pamplelune
    New York Intense
    Sacrebleu
    Odalisque
    Joy
    Bandit
    Fracas
    Futur
    Baghari
    Rive Gauche
    Opium
    Paris
    Diorissimo
    Diorama
    Diorella
    Dioressence
    Poison
    Eau Suavage
    Emeraude
    L'Origan
    Boucheron
    Dior Homme
    Calyx
    White Linen
    Knowing
    Pleasures
    Aromatics Elixir
    Private Collection
    Azuree
    Youth Dew
    Beyond Paradise
    Lolita Lempicka (a Angel smell alike, though toned down a bit)
    Arpege
    Chypre
    Timbuktu
    Dzing!
    Knize Ten (may be too masculine smelling)

This isn't nearly all of them.

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for classic fragrances (timeless classic or modern classics are fine

Cruel gardenia, try Divine by Divine.

Freed from BN Institution

The vintage forum would be a good place to look.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Flowers and animalics make me think of Joy (as in Patou Joy). But I'm not sure it still exist and how any current version could be.

Seconding also old (and cheap ) Youth Dew. The bath oil is actually stronger.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Just off the top of my head:
    Bandit
    + 1
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Classics that I think are still enjoyable in their current formulation are (not listing the classics I see you already own):

Guerlain Samsara parfum (floriental)
    Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps EDP (spicy floral)
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew (oriental)
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar (oriental)
    Estee Lauder Private Collection (green floral)
    Givenchy Ysatis (animalic floral)
    Chanel Cuir de Russie (leather)
    Chanel Bois des Iles (woody oriental)
    Lancome Magie Noire (floriental)
    Dior Miss Dior Original (green chypre)

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The vintage forum would be a good place to look.
    I had no idea that forum was used even for current versions of the classics. Thank you, will check!
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Salome
    Iris Nazarena
    L'Ange Noire
    Cuir de Lancôme

Will check as many of these as I see there out!
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I recently became aware that Saks here reopened so want to stop by next week for some fragrance shopping. I'd love to get another classic, must have fragrance or two, something that my wardrobe is lacking. Ideally not something entirely too similar to anything I already own but same genre is fine of course.

I'm a woman but will happily wear feminines, unisex fragrances, and even masuclines provided they aren't "too much". I love florals of all kinds (rose, white florals, etc etc...), orientals, chypres, rich gourmands, boozy fragrances, animalics. Great longevity and sillage is a plus. Of course at this point I enjoy things that stand out somehow and is different from what I own yet still has a place in my wardrobe.

Lately I feel I've been shopping mostly niche and even branched into some indie houses, so I'd like to go back to trying some of the great designer fragrances that my wardrobe is suspiciously missing. (Of course niche recommendations are welcomed too if anyone knows one I will absolutely love.)

For whatever reason, I don't like Angel much at all (though I do enjoy some fragrances that were obviously inspired by or pay homage to it) or Flowerbomb.
    I second the nomination of Bandit and/or Shalimar. These classics are often overlooked by the "younger generation" as being dated, but they are exquisite. Next time you have a chance, sniff the testers!

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I second the nomination of Bandit and/or Shalimar. These classics are often overlooked by the "younger generation" as being dated, but they are exquisite. Next time you have a chance, sniff the testers!
    I haven’t tried Bandit yet, hopefully they have it at Saks, but Shalimar is one of my all time favorite fragrances!
    Last edited by 24 Faubourg; 12th August 2020 at 04:32 PM.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Blog Entries

I haven’t tried Bandit yet, hopefully they have it at Saks, but Shalimar isn’t one of my all time favorite fragrances!
    Fair enough, it isn't for everyone. My wife doesn't like it either so I'm content spritzing a pillow since as a guy, I just can't pull off wearing it. Have you tried White Shoulders? a bit less "dated" smelling Originally made in the 1940s it's definitely a classic but doesn't get as much love as some of the others

Fair enough, it isn't for everyone. My wife doesn't like it either so I'm content spritzing a pillow since as a guy, I just can't pull off wearing it. Have you tried White Shoulders? a bit less "dated" smelling Originally made in the 1940s it's definitely a classic but doesn't get as much love as some of the others
    I don't know why my autocorrect said isn't but it is one of my all time favorites!! I wear Shalimar often, it's actually the second most worn in my wardrobe!

I will try White Shoulders! But anything similar to Shalimar I will love because it definitely is one of my favorites, I'd easily put it in my top 10 fragrances of all time.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

I haven’t tried Bandit yet, hopefully they have it at Saks, but Shalimar is one of my all time favorite fragrances!
    Bandit is so different in vintage form, the new one is a typical green leather compared to that loud sexy beauty.

If you like classic chypres I'd put something like Salome way over the current Bandit. It's way more dirty and animalic compared to Guerlain classics though.

Blog Entries

I don't know why my autocorrect said isn't but it is one of my all time favorites!! I wear Shalimar often, it's actually the second most worn in my wardrobe!

I will try White Shoulders! But anything similar to Shalimar I will love because it definitely is one of my favorites, I'd easily put it in my top 10 fragrances of all time.
    Ah, good. You do like Shalimar! I know that Habit Rouge is a man's fragrance, but have you tried it? It is a powdery rosey scent that is a Guerlaine classic. I'm wearing it right now and it easily could be worn by a woman.

Clinique Aromatics Elixir

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Bandit is so different in vintage form, the new one is a typical green leather compared to that loud sexy beauty.

If you like classic chypres I'd put something like Salome way over the current Bandit. It's way more dirty and animalic compared to Guerlain classics though.
    I will definitely check out both as soon as I see them somewhere!
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Ah, good. You do like Shalimar! I know that Habit Rouge is a man's fragrance, but have you tried it? It is a powdery rosey scent that is a Guerlaine classic. I'm wearing it right now and it easily could be worn by a woman.

I actually haven’t yet but will definitely check this out! I’m comfortable wearing fragrances marketed towards men if they are unisex enough and powdery rose seems right up my alley.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

I would try Roja Danger Parfum. Excellent lavender based scent harkening back in time in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Macsrul View Post
    I would try Roja Danger Parfum. Excellent lavender based scent harkening back in time in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This looks excellent, thank you!
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances