Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 1 Creed or three others?

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Not all cheapies are bad. All of the classic Guerlains can be found on FN for around $50 or less. A cheap price doesn't always mean a cheap formula, and a cheap formula doesn't always mean a bad fragrance, and vice versa. Many classics are sold at cheap prices. Price does not usually reflect quality.
    Talk was about blue, allure, invictus and pour monsieur. These 4 are bad.
    Guerlain - debatable.
    Production price reflect quality, not market price, but it is still a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Lol. Is Basenotes taken over by Creed commercial bots?
    No, you just make uneducated assumptions. I have only 2 bottles of Creed, so dont know how that makes me "creed commercial bot", and my answer was directed to OP and dictated by personal experience with best intentions.

Lol. Anyway, OP, perfumes are of course not about how they cost but how they smell. You may be new to fragrances so my only suggestion is trust your sense of smell and don't believe when someone says wearing Pour Monsieur "makes people run away" while Creeds gets you respect or girls or whatever. (you probably know that already, but still...)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Lol. Anyway, OP, perfumes are of course not about how they cost but how they smell. You may be new to fragrances so my only suggestion is trust your sense of smell and don't believe when someone says wearing Pour Monsieur "makes people run away" while Creeds gets you respect or girls or whatever. (you probably know that already, but still...)
    Agree with this 100%.

I'm just talking about the psychological aspect of desiring something but settling for something else.
    Bleu is one of my favourites btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I hear Mancera Cedrat Bois is a good Aventus alternative (not exact clone) perhaps sweeter and less smokey?
    I had a bottle of Aventus and sold it, but I love cedrat Boise. To me it's a little vanilla in the dry down. Similar but somewhat different. But they both get you compliments

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tres nuit, cedret Boise and lalique Pour Homme. You will get similar vibes, smell good and expensive and have money left...

Basenotes Member

Ya but you only know that because you bought a bottle of Aventus (itch scratched). This is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by propofolboy View Post
    Ya but you only know that because you bought a bottle of Aventus (itch scratched). This is the problem.
    You can order samples.

There are lots of ways to scratch the itch. You could read drseid reviews here on Basenotes, to name one - that's a little like trying a perfume, for me. Or some other reviewer with tastes similar to yours.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    You can order samples.
    Agreed!

Agreed!
    I just don't want to see you OD'ing on propofol or hyped perfumes.

Basenotes Member

Reading reviews doesn't really scratch the itch though for most people, especially something like fragrances.

My itch right now is Slumberhouse which is pretty much impossible to procure.. I don't even think i'll like it, but I pretty much know at some point I will buy one.

Reading reviews doesn't really scratch the itch though for most people, especially something like fragrances.

My itch right now is Slumberhouse which is pretty much impossible to procure.. I don't even think i'll like it, but I pretty much know at some point I will buy one.
    Good luck with that house. I had four samples and let's just say I couldn't /didn't wear none of them.

Basenotes Member

EXACTLY! and even after hearing this I still need to try it.

Lol

Haha I had the Creed itch too - get some 10ml decant perhaps- then you can really decide what you really like over want. You will feel really good - I did Gave me a comprehensive experience with each and I feel good in the knowledge that some I will spring for a full bottle (BdP) , others a definite no no (SMW). The End (of scratch.) hehe

I initially viewed Slumberhouse with a lot of cynicism...and then I got a sample of Kiste. I was sold from the first whiff.

Not all of the Slumberhouses that I've tried have been total winners (Kiste, Baque, Jeke, Ore, Norne, New Sibet, Grev, and Sadanne), but the ones that are good are really good. His batting average his pretty high for me.

I'm really picky about fragrances, so I would opt for a lesser quantity of scents that I know that I'm going to like wearing

I wouldn't buy a Creed blind though, you can get a decant/split from Basenotes to try before you buy

It really depends on what else you have in your collection. A single bottle of Creed and nothing else? Then I'd either opt for several designers or several decants of various Creeds. If you already have a nice collection then get a bottle of whichever Creed you like more.

Three others no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I just don't want to see you OD'ing on propofol or hyped perfumes.
    I think blue, allure, and invictus are hyped and not so good. LIked the old PM but it is surely different now. (Maybe no one but Mak-7 agreeing here!!)

Do not have either Creed but did enjoy BDP when sampling. But Creed is definitely hyped.

Sounds like you are ready to buy, but best suggestion and made by many is to wait a bit and do some more sampling first, then decide what to buy and get what really works for you.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Personally, I would splash the cash on a big bottle of Creed.
    I would agree on Bois du Portugal or Green Irish Tweed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Okay, thanks guys for your honest and straight advice.
    It seems that there are mixed opinions between buy the Creed and buy the other/s.
    I think that without smelling BDP and refreshing my memory of GIT it would be foolish to blow my cash on a Creed. Yes I could go for Aventus in their place and if it smelt the same on me as it seems to smell to me on others I'd be all over it ... but ...it doesn't sadly and I seem to go nose blind to it and even when I smell it in the opening all I get is dry, almost fusty citrus that makes my teeth itch! So for me Aventus is something that in reality does not seem to be for me and can only be enjoyed on others.
    The 20% off has now expired for the designer frags at present, although it will be back, it always is. Gives me time to (over) think some more I suppose although as things are currently it's very unlikely I'll be able to get my nose on any Creeds without buying samples, which puts more dents in my total budget (which, for the foreseeable future at least will not get 'topped up' unfortunately).
    You see, with past, ongoing and future house renovation, it is rare that I would have any significant spare cash to blow on fragrances, an interest that my wife does not share and to be honest thinks is stupid and a waste of money. I cannot in fairness argue much right now, as all our money is going into the house and in the big picture of world financial uncertainty fragrances are not and cannot be argued as, a priority.
    However, from selling a few other frags and other bits and bobs I have this cash to spend on frags should I wish and thats why I'm 'over thinking' it to quote someone. I simply don't want to waste my money as it will not easily be replaced. Some on here seem to have a fairly blase or cavalier attitude toward this decision process i.e. 'just buy it and buy something else later' (as if there will be a 'later' in the foreseeable future. You see I don't have a regular fragrance buying 'budget' like it seems so many on here (must) have to have the collections they have and to spend, almost as if it were nothing, so much money, so often on so many, expensive fragrances.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I just don't have that luxury or rank fragrances that high on my life list as to sacrifice other things to obtain.
    So there you have it, I am dithering because this is not a position I am often in, I have plenty of disposable income but have other priorities for it and as much as I enjoy fragrances, they are not that high on the list.
    I want to get it right and not have buyers remorse, it's a mistake I cannot afford to make right now.
    That may mean I go for the safe option in buying designer fragrances that I have either had before or have tried often enough, recently enough to know I will like or even love.
    Then again I may do nothing for a while and just see what happens.
    Continually buying samples out of a war chest that does not get topped up is not the answer although decants may be if I can get past not having the full presentation of an expensive fragrance. Sometimes that's half the fun in owning isn't it? Can you all say, in all honesty that if your wardrobe of fragrances consisted of dozens or hundreds of bland, non branded bottles of decants that you would get the same pleasure of ownership? I don't think I would.
    Sorry for rambling on.

Quality over quantity - I would go with the Creed 100%

Oh and if you cannot go to a store to sample these properly I recommend getting 2 or 3 10ml decants from Tom's Creed Decants. Then you'd still have enough for a 50ml bottle from one of the french sites.

If I were strapped for cash and looking for quality fragrances in the GIT and Bois du Portugal realm, I would buy:

Kiton Men ($40ish) and Lalique Pour Homme EDP ($30ish)
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

1: Is Creed worth the price, be it GIT or BDP and be it 50ml or 100ml?

2: Would you blow your cash on a single bottle of Creed or get 2, 3 or even 4 cheaper/designer frags for the same money?

3: Would you only get a 50ml of Creed and then use the remainder to buy another, cheaper frag?
    1. If you like it that much - yes. I dislike BDP but I could pay for a Creed, sure.

2. Probably some Chanels as you gave as an example. And so have I done, to some part.

3. Probably, yes.

Good luck and enjoy

OK, so I've messed about with several threads asking for advice and opinions on Chanel PM EDT, Bleu de Chanel Parfum, Creed GIT and it's alternatives, Gentlemen's fresh colognes and so on.....

Basically, the situation is that I have a sum of cash that is mine to spend on fragrances, should I choose...and I do.
    I have around £180 GBP as a total budget limit and that of course gives me options, too many to be honest.

I have stated in previous threads that buying a Creed at retail is not an option as I would resent paying that much. However, I may be able to get a 100ml bottle of pretty much any Creed for around £148 GBP Inc. delivery to the UK. The site is called 'Origenes' https://www.origines-parfums.com/en/find-a-store.htm and are a French perfume company.
    I would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has dealt with them and can vouch for them and the authenticity of their products??

I could go for a 100ml bottle of GIT or Bois de Portugal, depending on which one I want the most but 2x 50ml (one of each) does not fall within budget of course, although a single 50ml at £125 would give me a little more change i.e. £65 to get something else with should I choose, i.e. a 50ml Bleu de Chanel or something else?

So my questions are:-

1: Is Creed worth the price, be it GIT or BDP and be it 50ml or 100ml? Do they perform or will I end up wondering why I spent so much on a poor performing scent?

2: Would you blow your cash on a single bottle of Creed or get 2, 3 or even 4 cheaper/designer frags for the same money? (for e.g. I have enough (with currently available discounts) to get a 50ml Bleu de Chanel 'Parfum' + 100ml Allure homme Sport ETD + 100ml Pour Monsieur EDT OR the same scenario but substitute any of them for another i.e. 100ml of Invictus Aqua (yes I do like it) in place of say the Allure Homme Sport, or whatever?) You get my drift?

3: Would you only get a 50ml of Creed and then use the remainder to buy another, cheaper frag? However as there is only £20 difference between the 100ml and the 50ml Creed, that does not really stack up I suppose?

I appreciate this is all subjective and a matter of personal opinion but I am asking what you would do with that money if you had to use it all, in one way or another to buy the above or similar style of frags?

I'm asking for your opinions on this subject, not on my mental health or forum activity.

Thanks guys
    It depends on your own very personal and subjective criterion.
    a........Do you admire the artistry and quality of a scent? If Yes, get one of the Creeds.
    b........Do you like women saying how nice you smell, or how amazing the scent you are wearing is? If Yes, then get 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 or more cheaper designer frags for the same money.

I own Silver Mountain Water, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed, Himalaya, Tabarome Millesime, Erolfa, Aventus, Original Vetiver and Royal Water I gave to my wife (but can still use it should I ever for some strange reason want to).
    Never had a positive comment wearing any of them - but lots of positive comments from wearing the cheaper stuff.

I had three 125ml bottles of GIT - I used up 100mls out of one bottle and gave the remainder to my nephew who thought it was pretty ghastly. I seem to be the only person I've ever known in person who likes it.

If you do go the cheaper scent route, just avoid the made-cheap-to-be-sold-cheap scents, as they often smell okay to novices, but smell cheap to the more experienced noses (and especially to the noses of women). Down here in Australia, I just wait a year of two, and many expensive designer scents in department stores wind up heavily discounted in Chemist stores down to 15 to 20 of your Pounds - and all of them were created with much care by experienced noses.

But if you go for the Creeds. make sure you test BDP. The one I sprayed on my arm became a skin scent after two hours, so I didn't buy it. There is a lot of batch variation among Creed scents e.g. the first Millesime Imperial I tried barely lasted two hours on my skin, and I tried it on several occasions at that time with the same result. I tried it again four years later, and it easily lasted eight hours.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It depends on your own very personal and subjective criterion.
    a........Do you admire the artistry and quality of a scent? If Yes, get one of the Creeds.
    b........Do you like women saying how nice you smell, or how amazing the scent you are wearing is? If Yes, then get 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 or more cheaper designer frags for the same money.
    Lol, I laughed at this comment but I have to say you make a very good point.

Get some samples and check with your wife what she likes best. Seems that you dont necessary need attention from others, you already have someone special to keep happy. That would be my focus.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Lol, I laughed at this comment but I have to say you make a very good point.
    Wellll, CREEDs do garner quite a lot of compliments. Especially, you know, the one that has it's own thread! I get what Renato is trying to say, though.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

In my opinion, no single Creed scent is so great so as to prioritize over others for whatever rationale other than nose preference.