Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: 1 Creed or three others?

Quote Originally Posted by propofolboy View Post
    Reading reviews doesn't really scratch the itch though for most people, especially something like fragrances.

My itch right now is Slumberhouse which is pretty much impossible to procure.. I don't even think i'll like it, but I pretty much know at some point I will buy one.
    Skillfully written reviews by the good noses on this board make the itch far worse. The more time spent here the more you spend.

Slumberhouse is tough to get but not that tough if you are seeking his current releases. If you use Instagram follow Slumberhouse and set up notifications. Josh almost never posts but when he does you can be among the first to know the shop is open. Easy-peasy and it works. He is overdue to open again so the wait "shouldn't" be too long? If you need to sample all bets are off.
    Currently wearing: Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Get some samples and check with your wife what she likes best. Seems that you dont necessary need attention from others, you already have someone special to keep happy. That would be my focus.
    MAK!!! please don't be posting thoughts like this in a public forum. Some of us have wives who could see it.
    My collection would be reduced to Creeds only and I would have to buy Adventus. I would be paralyzed over what batch...
    Between the lines did you mean take a Machiavellian approach and let her sample the one you want and several you are sure she will dislike even more? If so you can slowly educate her nose and lead her in the direction a frag head needs to go.
    Hope the OP finds satisfaction... responded to him on "the other" forum. Buy the Creed.
    Currently wearing: Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Get some samples and check with your wife what she likes best. Seems that you dont necessary need attention from others, you already have someone special to keep happy. That would be my focus.
    Depends on the sort of wife one has.

A jealous wife probably doesn't want the husband to look good or attract attention - might pick the least attractive smelling scents.

A non-jealous wife might pick the opposite - want's the husband to look good and smell good.

Also, wives are can be very handy for blind buys.
    I got a gift set of Laura Biagiotti's Roma Passione Uomo in the mail today, and I wasn't too impressed - but my wife thought it smelled great. So it doubles the chances to the household that a blind buy won't be a dud.

My wife and I have close to a thousand bottles of scents between us. Very handy during this perpetual Twilight-Zone lockdown we are currently stuck in.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Exciting when you know you're spending a sum of money on fragrances. Honestly, as I've rummaged through this hobby, I've gravitated towards getting one special (and if that means expensive, fine) bottle rather than many cheaper ones. In the end, I feel I've wasted my money on those cheaper ones and could've bought one "expensive" special one. Put it this way - when you have a bunch of cheapies laying around, would you trade all of them now for a more expensive bottle? I.e., the cumulative sum of those cheapies? For almost 100% of the time, my answer is yes!
    While I agree in general, there are exceptions. I paid $20 for my bottle of Havana, and I wouldn't trade it for anything from Creed, Bond, Marley, Initio or Mancera. I have several from Lutens that I paid around $60 each (50 ml), I wouldn't trade any of those for anything from the above-mentioned brands.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e_s1950@yahoo.com View Post
    It really depends on what else you have in your collection. A single bottle of Creed and nothing else? Then I'd either opt for several designers or several decants of various Creeds. If you already have a nice collection then get a bottle of whichever Creed you like more.
    +1.

Origines is Legit.
    I would personally get 3 designer fragrances because i know of multiple designer fragrances that i prefer over any creed. thats if i didnt already have them. but that would depend on you. if you like one of those creeds better than the designers you mentioned then go for the creed.
    so basically i suggest you choose what you like more in terms of smell rather than quantity.
    For Sale: DHP, Guerlain L'Instant d'un Ete pour homme, Thameen, Oud Rosewood, Vintage Oud wood, Santal Noir, kalan, Guerlain homme l'eau, patchouli Ardent, bond love NY, Sauvage parfum, Fidelis and others. Many decants/splits too.

Bottle Sale thread: Click here

Decants Thread: Click here

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    While I agree in general, there are exceptions. I paid $20 for my bottle of Havana, and I wouldn't trade it for anything from Creed, Bond, Marley, Initio or Mancera. I have several from Lutens that I paid around $60 each (50 ml), I wouldn't trade any of those for anything from the above-mentioned brands.
    Definitely agree there are exceptions. That's why I couldn't quite say 100%, because I do have some "cheapies" that I would not lump into a cumulative replacement of a more expensive bottle.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    MAK!!! please don't be posting thoughts like this in a public forum. Some of us have wives who could see it.
    My collection would be reduced to Creeds only and I would have to buy Adventus. I would be paralyzed over what batch...
    Between the lines did you mean take a Machiavellian approach and let her sample the one you want and several you are sure she will dislike even more? If so you can slowly educate her nose and lead her in the direction a frag head needs to go.
    Hope the OP finds satisfaction... responded to him on "the other" forum. Buy the Creed.
    Perfume is a hobby that everyone can get in to, and every person will find something dear.
    Generally speaking, without making any assumptions, if OP wife is not too keen on perfumery, maybe she didnt find the perfume she would love to smell on her man, but if such thing existed - it would be double victory, he would get a nice scent, and she would love an approve of it.
    And yes, step by step education is important, more so, it goes both ways, he would learn what she likes and dislikes, and why so. For example, i like to sniff oud palao from time to time, but my friend got her sense of smell killed by it, so strong it was. So i know what not to wear around her. Maybe similar is the story with his wife, thats why she doesnt approve of it. But because selection of perfumes is so vast from chem to natural smelling, they will find common ground. Make a guessing game out of it, put a fun into the process. Sky is the limit.

Jealous wife thing though is something to consider, but more or less knowing women, they do like nice things, and same goes for husband. I am skeptical, that if he approaches her the right way about it and gets her involved in the process, that she would pick a stinker. What you give is what you get. Thats my thought process

Get decants of the fragrances you have not already sampled. By the time you are done with them you'll have saved up for a full bottle and know what you like. Easy

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    so basically i suggest you choose what you like more in terms of smell rather than quantity.
    Bingo.

Take it from someone with an extremely limited budget. Other people’s opinions are not going to tell you what you need to know: which scent you enjoy the most and how it performs on YOUR skin.

The most economical way to do that, it seems to me, is to start by sampling the two Creeds you have your heart set on. You don’t need 10ml to do a test drive - get the smallest, cheapest samples that will allow you 2-3 solid wearings of each. (1ml dabbers aren’t enough for me, but 2ml sprayers are plenty, since I wear fragrances very lightly. Your mileage may vary.)

Test and compare. If you fall in love with one of them, now you know where to spend your money.

If they’re nice but don’t quite live up to your expectations, then you can test other, cheaper scents.

I’d recommend having your wife check out your final choice to make sure she doesn’t hate it, but if she’s not really into fragrances she doesn’t need to be part of the narrowing process. You need to learn what YOU like, and then you both may be assured that it’s money well spent.

I would try a lot of designer scents instead. In your situation it looks like you’ll have way more fun with multiple beloved fragrances.
    I just would buy the Creed if my thought was: “Oh, I can’t live without this”.
    I don’t see all the quality people tell Creed has.
    Basically what you have to do is to think about what everyone here said and check out what fits better for you.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.