Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1 Creed or three others?

OK, so I've messed about with several threads asking for advice and opinions on Chanel PM EDT, Bleu de Chanel Parfum, Creed GIT and it's alternatives, Gentlemen's fresh colognes and so on.....

Basically, the situation is that I have a sum of cash that is mine to spend on fragrances, should I choose...and I do.
    I have around £180 GBP as a total budget limit and that of course gives me options, too many to be honest.

I have stated in previous threads that buying a Creed at retail is not an option as I would resent paying that much. However, I may be able to get a 100ml bottle of pretty much any Creed for around £148 GBP Inc. delivery to the UK. The site is called 'Origenes' https://www.origines-parfums.com/en/find-a-store.htm and are a French perfume company.
    I would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has dealt with them and can vouch for them and the authenticity of their products??

I could go for a 100ml bottle of GIT or Bois de Portugal, depending on which one I want the most but 2x 50ml (one of each) does not fall within budget of course, although a single 50ml at £125 would give me a little more change i.e. £65 to get something else with should I choose, i.e. a 50ml Bleu de Chanel or something else?

So my questions are:-

1: Is Creed worth the price, be it GIT or BDP and be it 50ml or 100ml? Do they perform or will I end up wondering why I spent so much on a poor performing scent?

2: Would you blow your cash on a single bottle of Creed or get 2, 3 or even 4 cheaper/designer frags for the same money? (for e.g. I have enough (with currently available discounts) to get a 50ml Bleu de Chanel 'Parfum' + 100ml Allure homme Sport ETD + 100ml Pour Monsieur EDT OR the same scenario but substitute any of them for another i.e. 100ml of Invictus Aqua (yes I do like it) in place of say the Allure Homme Sport, or whatever?) You get my drift?

3: Would you only get a 50ml of Creed and then use the remainder to buy another, cheaper frag? However as there is only £20 difference between the 100ml and the 50ml Creed, that does not really stack up I suppose?

I appreciate this is all subjective and a matter of personal opinion but I am asking what you would do with that money if you had to use it all, in one way or another to buy the above or similar style of frags?

I'm asking for your opinions on this subject, not on my mental health or forum activity.

Thanks guys

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 Creed or three others?

I would pay the price for a 100ml Creed. BdP would be my choice over GiT.

Designers don’t come close. But it’s not enough for someone to just say that. Often we have to go through a process of testing for years to understand the quality in Creeds and other well regarded niche houses.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Precious Oud by Mancera

Options:

1. Get Pour Monsieur edt and Egoiste. You can order from Chanel and come in on budget. For a two-fragrance combo, that's the way I would go.

2. Get good, inexpensive stuff like Versace L'Homme, Versace Pour Homme, and Aramis Tuscany. Have fun with discounter sites.

3. Get into inexpensive vintage: vintage Versace L'Homme, vintage Tuscany, Ho Hang Club, Polo, Santos. Have fun with eBay.

These are pretty much the only options I would consider.

What Nick says about going through a years-long process to understand how good some fragrances are doesn't work for me, and I have tried, based on comments like his. I now rarely test things more than a couple times if I'm not really digging them. If the perfume is going to take more than a couple wearings to bond with, it could be one for later in life, but probably not.

I would opt for the Creed. I love both GIT and BDP. Try discounter sites and you can get close to half what you'd pay full retail.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I could go for a 100ml bottle of GIT or Bois de Portugal, depending on which one I want the most but 2x 50ml (one of each) does not fall within budget of course, although a single 50ml at £125 would give me a little more change i.e. £65 to get something else with should I choose, i.e. a 50ml Bleu de Chanel or something else?

1: Is Creed worth the price, be it GIT or BDP and be it 50ml or 100ml? Do they perform or will I end up wondering why I spent so much on a poor performing scent?

2: Would you blow your cash on a single bottle of Creed or get 2, 3 or even 4 cheaper/designer frags for the same money? (for e.g. I have enough (with currently available discounts) to get a 50ml Bleu de Chanel 'Parfum' + 100ml Allure homme Sport ETD + 100ml Pour Monsieur EDT OR the same scenario but substitute any of them for another i.e. 100ml of Invictus Aqua (yes I do like it) in place of say the Allure Homme Sport, or whatever?) You get my drift?

3: Would you only get a 50ml of Creed and then use the remainder to buy another, cheaper frag? However as there is only £20 difference between the 100ml and the 50ml Creed, that does not really stack up I suppose?
    Have you tried BdP, Sloth? I would say if you haven't, don't blind buy this one as it might ot be your cup of tea, given how I understand your tastes. Perhaps something a little fresher may suite your tastes better, like Original Vetiver?

I would definitely go for more fragrances from different brands. You don't need to get 100ml sizes of everything. Also bear in mind that 100ml of a Creed will last you a lot longer than say 100ml of Chanel PM which is easy to overspray (and sometimes necessary). Doing that with a Creed will just get too cloying, especially BdP or even GIT.

GIT used to be a lot longer lasting than it is now, but it has become more summer friendly. I do prefer to GIT in wet and slightly cooler weather.

As for Allure Homme Sport, I am not a fan of this scent and I can't recommend it in any case. BdC Parfum is a better option but it comes as a price.

I'm asking for your opinions on this subject, not on my mental health or forum activity.
    LOL - this made me laugh.

Old school never tires.

Creed Bois Du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Dependent

I own some Creeds, and no way in hell would I blind buy if performance was a big concern of mine...but I also wouldn't throw away my money on Bleu de Chanel or Invictus.

Another vote for BDP, so far having experienced with this a worthy performance and also on quality notes worth their asking price.
    At least, this one would be the personal choice and recommendation on this budget even before considering three others.

I would have said GIT a few years ago but the current formulations just don't smell as good as they used to. If you can find vintage GIT for that price then I would 100% go for that. £148 for what Creed now calls GIT is not worth it, in my opinion.

Both Creeds are great, but I’d suggest GIT as it’s more versatile and current.

Basenotes Plus

IMO,

You won't lack performance on GIT and definitely not BDP. These are among Creed's best in terms of longevity. GIT lasts nearly all day and BDP can last into the next day.

And, if you have the cash 'now', to afford a Creed, then do it. When is comes to less expensive frags you will always be able to spring for a sub-$100 designer.

And as mentioned, don't blind buy BDP. And don't judge it off of a paper strip either. Buy a sample and wear it on your skin. And give it like 2-3 hours before passing judgement. BDP is a scent that gets better after it develops on skin.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    IMO,

You won't lack performance on GIT and definitely not BDP. These are among Creed's best in terms of longevity. GIT lasts nearly all day and BDP can last into the next day.

And, if you have the cash 'now', to afford a Creed, then do it. When is comes to less expensive frags you will always be able to spring for a sub-$100 designer.

And as mentioned, don't blind buy BDP. And don't judge it off of a paper strip either. Buy a sample and wear it on your skin. And give it like 2-3 hours before passing judgement. BDP is a scent that gets better after it develops on skin.
    Agree with everything here....longevity isn't an issue with either of these. And BDP is very hard to judge on a paper strip or even after immediate application on skin. I use to think it was somewhat unpleasant until after I've left Saks and was blown away with the drydown. It's near perfect for me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Dependent

I would go with getting multiple designer fragrances instead of just one Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    I would go with getting multiple designer fragrances instead of just one Creed.
    Same here. Look into Afnan, they have fragrances that smell expensive and also have some killer cloned. I own a couple of Creeds and IMO other niche are better. The other being Montale, Amouage and Mancera to name a few. In a matter of fact I would get two manceras and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hear Mancera Cedrat Bois is a good Aventus alternative (not exact clone) perhaps sweeter and less smokey?

Would also go with a creed (the difference in quality is worth it IMO), both of GIT and BdP are amazing , but i find BdP to be more unique and more old school , performance is good with both but BdP has better performance.
    My choice would be BdP , but sample first.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Agree with everything here....longevity isn't an issue with either of these. And BDP is very hard to judge on a paper strip or even after immediate application on skin. I use to think it was somewhat unpleasant until after I've left Saks and was blown away with the drydown. It's near perfect for me.
    I also agree with that , tester strips doesn’t do it justice at all (i love the woods in BdP)
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

OK, so I've messed about with several threads asking for advice and opinions on Chanel PM EDT, Bleu de Chanel Parfum, Creed GIT and it's alternatives, Gentlemen's fresh colognes and so on.....

Basically, the situation is that I have a sum of cash that is mine to spend on fragrances, should I choose...and I do.
    I have around £180 GBP as a total budget limit and that of course gives me options, too many to be honest.

I have stated in previous threads that buying a Creed at retail is not an option as I would resent paying that much. However, I may be able to get a 100ml bottle of pretty much any Creed for around £148 GBP Inc. delivery to the UK. The site is called 'Origenes' https://www.origines-parfums.com/en/find-a-store.htm and are a French perfume company.
    I would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has dealt with them and can vouch for them and the authenticity of their products??

I appreciate this is all subjective and a matter of personal opinion but I am asking what you would do with that money if you had to use it all, in one way or another to buy the above or similar style of frags?

Thanks guys
    Exciting when you know you're spending a sum of money on fragrances. Honestly, as I've rummaged through this hobby, I've gravitated towards getting one special (and if that means expensive, fine) bottle rather than many cheaper ones. In the end, I feel I've wasted my money on those cheaper ones and could've bought one "expensive" special one. Put it this way - when you have a bunch of cheapies laying around, would you trade all of them now for a more expensive bottle? I.e., the cumulative sum of those cheapies? For almost 100% of the time, my answer is yes!

Anyway, I've grown a bit out of sorts with GIT honestly. It's funny, I smelled it on an SA and kinda turned me off somehow. Not quite ready to give up my bottle yet as maybe someday I find that spark again. In that regard, I would pick BDP between the two Creeds you mentioned.

Now, 50ml vs 100ml. I tend to go for smaller bottles as I've gotten more and more bottles. At the same time, there's that good feeling of having a 100ml of a special fragrance. I think I would go 50ml here and get another bottle with the remaining money. Caveat being, you can get the 100ml and still find something decent with the remaining £32.

Either way, good luck and have fun!

And finally, I enjoyed this as well...

Seems here at BN, people would rather diagnose your mental or social state than simply answer your question on which bottle to get.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

If you already have a lot of fragrances Iíd go with a Creed, but if you donít have many, Id go with two or three others:

Bleu Parfum, Egoiste, and Allure Homme Edition Blanche would be a nice trilogy that would cost less than a retail bottle of Creed.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

1: Is Creed worth the price, be it GIT or BDP and be it 50ml or 100ml?
    Yes IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

the best thing i can say about Creed is the flacon size and decants. i'd just buy a decant then the value is much better.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

Personally, I would splash the cash on a big bottle of Creed.

Quality over quantity.

BdP is pleasant to smell, created great aura and draws people near you.

Cheapies - make people run away, especially when over sprayed. You will smell like every other Joe wherever you go.

Consider as well current stance of the world on fragrances. I guarantee that even if you have perfume where its not allowed, but its high class, people wont give you hard time. I have seen people refused entry and let go home from work due to chem smell of some cheap stuff.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Cheapies - make people run away, especially when over sprayed. You will smell like every other Joe wherever you go.

Consider as well current stance of the world on fragrances. I guarantee that even if you have perfume where its not allowed, but its high class, people wont give you hard time. I have seen people refused entry and let go home from work due to chem smell of some cheap stuff.
    Not all cheapies are bad. All of the classic Guerlains can be found on FN for around $50 or less. A cheap price doesn't always mean a cheap formula, and a cheap formula doesn't always mean a bad fragrance, and vice versa. Many classics are sold at cheap prices. Price does not usually reflect quality.

Basenotes Member

The problem with NOT going for a bottle of Creed when your heart really desires it, is that even if you buy 2-3 others that are 'good' you will still have the desire for the Creed. Someday you will have more money again and you can then decide was the Creed worth it (ie I want another) or will I be just as happy with other (cheaper) designers.

Get a bottle of Creed now and deal with the future later. I would personally go with GIT as its just timeless, and works on every occassion. Alternatively I would go with Royal Oud > BDP (although I love both). The BDP is great, but I would strongly suggest you get a sample first and wear on your skin as its not for everyone. The Royal Oud could almost be a blind buy in my opinion, and is nearly as versatile as GIT.

The real question is have you smelled them? You are the one to decide if sth is worth it for you, eg. someone may love fragrance X so much than even twice the retail is a bargain to her while another one wouldn't even want to smell like that for free.

To me, no I would never buy them even for fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by propofolboy View Post
    The problem with NOT going for a bottle of Creed when your heart really desires it, is that even if you buy 2-3 others that are 'good' you will still have the desire for the Creed. Someday you will have more money again and you can then decide was the Creed worth it (ie I want another) or will I be just as happy with other (cheaper) designers.

Get a bottle of Creed now...
    Is this a commercial?

Basenotes Member

Ha sounds like it doesn't it!
    But seriously I have found this to be true in life - first rolex, first sports car, etc. Then your ok with not having them going forward or you develop a passion for them. Either way that itch has been scratched.
    Last edited by propofolboy; 12th August 2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post

Lol. Is Basenotes taken over by Creed commercial bots?