Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries
    3x2(nyz)4a

Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
    --John Keats
    Currently wearing: Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

Default Re: " Cutting Edge" Research

Very interesting article thanks.

I wish they'd stated which brands they used.

I find the Bic Flex disposable razors to last for ridiculously longer times than other equivalent brands sold at similar price points - so I figure they must be doing something different at Bic with their blades.
    Regards,
    Renato

Sharp reporting right there!
    Interested that while the blade slowly dulls, it's also being chipped by the facial hair. Who'd have thought that?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Orca by House of Matriarch

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Very interesting article thanks.

I wish they'd stated which brands they used.

I find the Bic Flex disposable razors to last for ridiculously longer times than other equivalent brands sold at similar price points - so I figure they must be doing something different at Bic with their blades.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I think that any water left on the blade after shaving has a deleterious effect on the near microscopic edge. I have been using Bic Comfort 3s disposables and shake off excess water after shaving and rinsing the razor and then gently blot the exposed edges with a soft absorbent towel to completely wick-dry the blade edges. That seems to help the blades retain much of their sharpness far longer than before I began doing so.
    3x2(nyz)4a

--John Keats

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I think that any water left on the blade after shaving has a deleterious effect on the near microscopic edge. I have been using Bic Comfort 3s disposables and shake off excess water after shaving and rinsing the razor and then gently blot the exposed edges with a soft absorbent towel to completely wick-dry the blade edges. That seems to help the blades retain much of their sharpness far longer than before I began doing so.
    Your experience is consistent with the instructions on the Razorpit packet, in which one cleans the blades on the rubber Razorpit, and then rests the razor with the blades facing upright - to get the water to run out off the blade edges as they dry.

I haven't seen any Bic Comfort 3s for sale here. I'll keep an eye out and pick up a packet when they do. It will be interesting to compare to the nearly everlasting Flex ones.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Your experience is consistent with the instructions on the Razorpit packet, in which one cleans the blades on the rubber Razorpit, and then rests the razor with the blades facing upright - to get the water to run out off the blade edges as they dry.
    Regards,
    Renato

Renato I agree with the theory of (most of) the adhering water running downward off the up-facing edges of blades but I think the extremely small droplets of water left may be held more firmly by the laws of attraction/adhesion to or near the blades edges than gravity can overcome.
    3x2(nyz)4a

--John Keats

Basenotes Junkie

Really interesting, although I can't help but think that greater levels of magnification might reveal more. What about loss of material from the edge when in contact with the skin?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    Really interesting, although I can't help but think that greater levels of magnification might reveal more. What about loss of material from the edge when in contact with the skin?
    skin is certainly much easier on a razors edge than whiskers..

this is interesting..

https://gizmodo.com/razors-under-a-microscope-5472426

as is this:

http://www.tameshigiri.ca/2014/01/07...harp-is-sharp/
    3x2(nyz)4a

--John Keats

I wouldn't have thought that our hair could chip steel blades so easily. Interesting.

What about blades of an electric razor? I have a Brawn 9 wet shaver that is over three years old. I've used it on/off the first two years then I started using a DE razor, but I'd still use it occasionally for a quick shave. I used it wet with shaving gel. It still shaves well without any discomfort. I always wondered how can these blades remain sharp for so long, whereas other blades get dull after a few use.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    What about blades of an electric razor? I have a Brawn 9 wet shaver that is over three years old. I've used it on/off the first two years then I started using a DE razor, but I'd still use it occasionally for a quick shave. I used it wet with shaving gel. It still shaves well without any discomfort. I always wondered how can these blades remain sharp for so long, whereas other blades get dull after a few use.
    hmmm..self-sharpening to some degree maybe?
    3x2(nyz)4a

--John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Good point. Just like hair clippers.

My electric razor and clippers have dulled quite a bit over the years, BUT I say over the YEARS! They must be made from a thicking and/or stronger metal so as to last longer, withstand the vibration that they make? But I had to either replace the blades or buy brand new clippers after about five years. I was starting to tell a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    My electric razor and clippers have dulled quite a bit over the years, BUT I say over the YEARS! They must be made from a thicking and/or stronger metal so as to last longer, withstand the vibration that they make? But I had to either replace the blades or buy brand new clippers after about five years. I was starting to tell a difference.
    But still, 5 years. Imagine a razor lasting you even 5 months!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    But still, 5 years. Imagine a razor lasting you even 5 months!
    LOL....makes me wonder how people get along using a barber blade and how long they hold up before needing sharpened.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I am now thinking that electric razors do not require an extra sharp blade to cut the whisker but instead rely on both speed of the moving "blade" and the relative brute power of a moving metal blade pushing the whisker against the stationary edge of the aperture in the screen. The whisker is sticking through the screen and the blade shears it off in concert with the aperture inner edge. I don't think an extremely thin sharp blade edge is needed to do that.

I imagine both the blade and screen are far thicker than the near microscopic edge of a razor blade and thus last far longer in cutting or shearing whiskers.
    3x2(nyz)4a

--John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I am now thinking that electric razors do not require an extra sharp blade to cut the whisker but instead rely on both speed of the moving "blade" and the relative brute power of a moving metal blade pushing the whisker against the stationary edge of the aperture in the screen. The whisker is sticking through the screen and the blade shears it off in concert with the aperture inner edge. I don't think an extremely thin sharp blade edge is needed to do that.

I imagine both the blade and screen are far thicker than the near microscopic edge of a razor blade and thus last far longer in cutting or shearing whiskers.
    I've no idea how good the cutters of new electric razors are because I've only used older models of Remington and Philishave razors.

My 30 year old plus Remington still cuts okay with its worn cutters.

I used to replace the cutters on my old Philishave models every six months - not because they weren't cutting - but because it was taking twice the amount of time to get the close shave I used to get in a few minutes, and getting red rawness in the process. Later when discussing shaving at work, it turned out a work colleague with much thicker whiskers than me, also used the same Philishave cutters. So I'd give him my worn cutters that I couldn't stand anymore - and he would happlily use them for another year or more.

Later I found that if I washed my face with skin drying soap like Sapoderm, then let my face dry, the cutters could last for up to two years before they got as bad as they had in six months without the soap.

So it doesn't surprise me that people with perhaps dryer skin, thinner or thicker facial hair, or more tolerance to dull cutters could get five years out of them.

I think the issue of "Your Mileage May Vary" definitely applies to electric razors too.

I wouldn't have minded buying new cutters every five years, but at every six months it got quite expensive - and even at every year and a half to two years it wasn't cheap.
    Regards,
    Renato

I couldn't find any info on the subject - Google failed to return any info. Strange.

My guess is that it's to do with the direction the blade moves: chopping vs slicing.

For example, the blade in a DE razor is stationary and the sharp hedge always strike the hair directly in a forward motion rather than slicing it in a sideway motion using the whole length of the blade. I think the blades/folis in an electric razor move very fast, perhaps a circular motion and sort of slice the hair using the length of the blade instead of one point. I hope it makes sense. This is probably why in a slant DE razor blades last a bit longer.