Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Would you recommend Tam Dao?

Hello everyone,
    I’m thinking about buying a 100ml of Tam Dao EDT by Diptyque .
    Sadly , I can't sample it , and never seen a diptyque bottle in my town’s fragrance stores.
    Being a huge fan of creed’s royal oud (my favorite fragrance , period) , would you recommend tam dao ?
    how’s the performance like (seems from the reviews that people are having different opinions)? And how’s the quality (is it better than creeds ? Or is it comparable?)
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Would you recommend Tam Dao?

I have it and enjoy it. It is a cedar sandalwood combo to me. Royal Oud is very nice and not really like Tam Dao, which is more focused on the cedar and sandalwood.

I actually find that I reach for Egoiste by Chanel a lot more often as it is a much better sandalwood scent, and the rosewood there is lovely indeed and much better blended than Tam Dao.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

It's a nice sandalwood, potentially blind buy worthy, but I think that Royal Oud is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsx View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Sadly , I can't sample it , and never seen a diptyque bottle in my town’s fragrance stores.
    Being a huge fan of creed’s royal oud (my favorite fragrance , period) , would you recommend tam dao ?
    how’s the performance like (seems from the reviews that people are having different opinions)? And how’s the quality (is it better than creeds ? Or is it comparable?)
    I feel the two smell nothing alike. This is weird, but I've always gotten a "Thai food" vibe with Tam Dao.

I wouldn't blind buy it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

All Is Beautiful

Tam Dao can remind people of newly shipped wood furniture that's been freshly varnished.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

would you recommend tam dao ?
    Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for your replies everyone,
    To clarify something : I'm not looking to replace royal oud at all (can’t live without it) , I’ve just thought that tam dao (based on the notes) should have a bit of similarity to RO
    How’s the quality of the diptyque ? Because it has quite a similar price to that of creed’s (i can get a 100ml VIW for the same price)
    I love how creeds have a clear and realistic scent (the notes usually smell exactly like how it would in nature)
    Never had thai food , so does it have a gourmand quality to it ? I though it should smell dry woody

Thanks for your replies everyone,
    To clarify something : I'm not looking to replace royal oud at all (can’t live without it) , I’ve just thought that tam dao (based on the notes) should have a bit of similarity to RO
    How’s the quality of the diptyque ? Because it has quite a similar price to that of creed’s (i can get a 100ml VIW for the same price)
    I love how creeds have a clear and realistic scent (the notes usually smell exactly like how it would in nature)
    Never had thai food , so does it have a gourmand quality to it ? I though it should smell dry woody
    The quality is definitely up there with the best of them, no question. I've always been impressed with Diptyque's quality.

The "Thai food" vibe will probably only come from me. It also only hits me in the opening, and the dry down is definitely dry woody. I think it's a combination of the lime and the spices that give me the "Thai food" vibe.

Okay, that's good that you're looking to somewhat complement your Royal Oud and not picking one between seemingly like scents. If this is something you do like (and that's the IF part), this would definitely be a great addition to Royal Oud because they check off different boxes, while still maintaining that woody genre.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    The quality is definitely up there with the best of them, no question. I've always been impressed with Diptyque's quality.

The "Thai food" vibe will probably only come from me. It also only hits me in the opening, and the dry down is definitely dry woody. I think it's a combination of the lime and the spices that give me the "Thai food" vibe.

Okay, that's good that you're looking to somewhat complement your Royal Oud and not picking one between seemingly like scents. If this is something you do like (and that's the IF part), this would definitely be a great addition to Royal Oud because they check off different boxes, while still maintaining that woody genre.
    Thanks that just clarified everything

Thanks that just clarified everything
    Awesome! Funny thing is, even though I say DO NOT blind buy, I'm almost leaning towards the opposite.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs

Awesome! Funny thing is, even though I say DO NOT blind buy, I'm almost leaning towards the opposite.
    Just did :P , the order have been placed .
    Thank you all everyone, you’ve always been great help making such decisions.

Just did :P , the order have been placed .
    Thank you all everyone, you’ve always been great help making such decisions.
    Congrats! And of course, please let us know how you find it when it arrives.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs

Congrats! And of course, please let us know how you find it when it arrives.
    Thank you , will do

No, don't blind buy it.

The EdP is a safer blind buy since it's more dense, but even that's a stretch.

Tam Dao is a more dry take on the smell of sandalwood than you might expect. They both have excellent longevity, but the sillage isn't powerful.

Then again, the smell of sandalwood isn't all that cloying anyway. Which is why it's commonly amped up with other notes.

That said, I love the EdP.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Hello everyone,
    Royal Oud is not a safe distance to jump into conclusions about Tam Dao. Not at all similar.

Do you like: Wonderwood, 2Man, Encre Noire A L'Extreme or Sycamore? It's closer to them, anyway if you decide to blindbuy go for the EdP.

The only bottle available (of which there’s only 1 in stock) is the edt (i dont use fragrancex,or fragrancenet due to the fact that adding in the taxes and shipping it becomes way overpriced , thus i use local established and trustworthy online stores that offer better overall price vs the other discounters)
    For a point of reference, i own sandlewood in it’s wood form and i love it , as long as the fragrance is a high quality dry woody (which is what I’m looking for specifically, since royal oud is the only fragrance of this kind that i own, and i want to add something else) I’d be satisfied .
    Also it seems that the edp would lean a bit sweeter and less dry (based on the note differences and reviews) , which isn’t what i want .

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Tam Dao can remind people of newly shipped wood furniture that's been freshly varnished.
    Wow, I never thought of that, but that is a good picture of what it smells like.
    OP, Its dry, woody. It has a bit of a yellow warmth to it that is lacking in the crystal cool Royal Oud. They share notes, but interestingly smell not alike. Its a great fragrance, both are really. I think Tam Dao is a very likable fragrance, and will not be something many find offensive or anything. I think it is pretty blind buy safe in that regard. I want to call it basic, but it is hard to find something else that smells like it. I keep coming back to wanting that smell. I haven't tried the EDP, just the EDT.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    Tam Dao is a more dry take on the smell of sandalwood than you might expect. They both have excellent longevity, but the sillage isn't powerful.
    All of the opinions offered in reply to the thread are greatly appreciated.

I own sandalwood in it’s pure wood form , and i find it amazing , if it smells close enough to the dry scent of the real sandalwood , i’d be quite satisfied.
    about the sillage : royal oud doesn’t project far but it envelopes the wearer with an aura of pure sophistication IMO, and i love that , for a sophisticated scent , it have to have a sophisticated projection and sillage

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Wow, I never thought of that, but that is a good picture of what it smells like.
    OP, Its dry, woody. It has a bit of a yellow warmth to it that is lacking in the crystal cool Royal Oud. They share notes, but interestingly smell not alike. Its a great fragrance, both are really. I think Tam Dao is a very likable fragrance, and will not be something many find offensive or anything. I think it is pretty blind buy safe in that regard. I want to call it basic, but it is hard to find something else that smells like it. I keep coming back to wanting that smell. I haven't tried the EDP, just the EDT.

Thank you very much , thats quite helpful
    Last edited by Hsx; 12th August 2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added the quote

My nose gets more cedar than sandalwood, but it's a good woody scent.

It didn't smell to me just like ROYAL OUD, but think you will quite like it.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I sampled tam dao for a couple years before i bought it as i was always on the fence. Now i wish i had bought it sooner.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Diptyque make quality scents for sure and are among the best niche there is. Everything right down to the packaging and presentation is very good.

As far as Tam Dao and Royal Oud go, there is a common cedar wood note between them but other than that they go their own separate ways. I actually find Tan Dao *in the edp* a bit too cloying and even one full spray is too much. Royal Oud comes across as much smoother especially the latest formulation. I wouldn’t recommend blind buying Tan Dao either.

Yes I agree; in the exact same way that Tupperware smells in nature.

Basenotes Plus

Would you recommend Tam Dao?
    Yes. Without hesitation. The best Sandalwood fragrance IMO. If the sprays are 'fresh' (haven't been oxidized in the straw of the sprayer for months) then I get an almost "coconutty" vibe from the woods. I bought over a dozen samples of the most highly regarded sandalwood fragrances and sampled them all. I narrowed it down to Diptyque Tam Dao EDP and Kilian Sacred Wood. Those are the best sandalwood-centric fragrances I've ever smelled.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

The only bottle available (of which there’s only 1 in stock) is the edt (i dont use fragrancex,or fragrancenet due to the fact that adding in the taxes and shipping it becomes way overpriced , thus i use local established and trustworthy online stores that offer better overall price vs the other discounters)
    For a point of reference, i own sandlewood in it’s wood form and i love it , as long as the fragrance is a high quality dry woody (which is what I’m looking for specifically, since royal oud is the only fragrance of this kind that i own, and i want to add something else) I’d be satisfied .
    Also it seems that the edp would lean a bit sweeter and less dry (based on the note differences and reviews) , which isn’t what i want .
    It's not sweet, at all, the vanilla elevates the creaminess of Sandalwood and makes it richer in EdP, I hate sweetness and again Tam Dao has none. If you already got EdT though don't sweat it, it's also beautiful they're pretty much the same thing.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

EDP is far superior to the EDT IMO. Saying that....I got rid of my bottle a couple of years ago. It's a well blended fragrance and smells very natural and extremely clean. But if I'm honest....It's a tad boring.
    Favorites
    Fahrenheit - Dior
    Coromandel- Chanel
    Aventus- Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Danger- Roja Dove
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    1962 - Floris
    Polo Green - Ralph Lauren
    Heritage (edt & edp) - Guerlain
    Noir de Noir - Tom Ford
    Layton - Parfums de Marly
    Oajan - Parfums de Marly
    Currently wearing: Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I love it, and it's one of my top 3 favorite scents, but I don't think I'd put it in the same category as Royal Oud. I dislike Royal Oud, but objectively, there is more depth, complexity, and development to RO.

Tam Dao is basically a cedar and sandalwood bomb. Just smells of sawdust/freshly hewn wood through most of its life. Maybe a blind buy if you love dry, woody scents.

Most people here prefer the EDP of Tam Dao because it is a bit richer, creamier and has more of a focus on sandalwood.
    I'm in the minority and prefer the slightly dryer, more diaphanous EDT with a touch of cypress giving it a more sparkling opening.
    Both have vanilla used very subtly to boost the creaminess to try and recreate the creamy/lactic aspects of sandalwood. Tam Dao definitely smells natural, but as some mentioned, it can seem a bit one dimensional or boring depending on what you want from a scent.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Hello everyone,
    If you like Royal Oud, you might like it as well. Quality and performance comparable IMO.

Dependent

I guess I would recommend it. I think it's ok; not great but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post

Tam Dao is basically a cedar and sandalwood bomb. Just smells of sawdust/freshly hewn wood through most of its life. Maybe a blind buy if you love dry, woody scents.
    . Tam Dao definitely smells natural, but as some mentioned, it can seem a bit one dimensional or boring depending on what you want from a scent.

Darjeeling nailed it with those two sentences. I like Tam Dao and would recommend, but there is not much going on beyond the wood and it is quite dry. Some people like this (eg. my member name) where some want more variety/changes during the wear or more scents mixed in. Since you like actual woods I think you will like the fragrance a lot.

Never! It smells like sweat to my nose: Super Stinker Deluxe!