Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    I came across this accidentally and they're over here selling pheromones.
    Has anybody come across this and/or tried using any of their items? I'm thinking some of these would bring out my milk lactone(sounds so wrong).

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus
    pkiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,991

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    You may try, but do not be dismayed with lack of success.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    It's blithering nonsense. Humans don't have the type of sensory organ that detects pheromones to begin with, so there's the entire concept already shot down. Additionally, it's not even clear that any such thing as "human pheromones" even exist at all.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by ourmess View Post
    It's blithering nonsense. Humans don't have the type of sensory organ that detects pheromones to begin with, so there's the entire concept already shot down. Additionally, it's not even clear that any such thing as "human pheromones" even exist at all.
    Slow down and put your thinking cap on. Of course we have such a system or we wouldn’t have survived to evolve. Sure, the system has gone increasingly under-utilized and increasingly dormant in the modern few tens of thousands of years of language and upright walking and becoming the devolved mess we are today. But once we were really alive out in the jungle and such, smelling prey, smelling predators, smelling when mates were mate-able. It was real and we were getting our B-12 from dirt, not cherry-flavored tablets. We definitely have it, but it is mostly dormant, thus the science world can’t come up with much.

    And, to the OP, since that system is mostly dormant and therefore impossible to collect data on, then of course nobody knows the how or what of it so obviously their product is fake crap.

    And. lastly, have I mentioned tonquitone lately?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Putative sex-specific human pheromones do not affect gender perception, attractiveness ratings or unfaithfulness judgements of opposite sex faces. Science proves once again that human pheromones aren’t real. Etc.

    It's certainly a complicated question, and scent cues appear to maybe play some role in human reactions, somehow, possibly, in a way that still isn't clear. But there's no such thing as "human pheromones" in the way that there are for insects, and anything sold as "human pheromones" is trash pseudoscience and/or trash marketing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"


  7. #7

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by ourmess View Post
    It's blithering nonsense. Humans don't have the type of sensory organ that detects pheromones to begin with, so there's the entire concept already shot down. Additionally, it's not even clear that any such thing as "human pheromones" even exist at all.
    This is not entirely true. The human nose does contain a vomeronasal receptor that does contain the vomeronasal receptor proteins VN1R5, VN1R3, VN1R2, and VN1R1 which surprisingly binds to Hedione. We know that these are pheromone receptors due to the sequence similarities on the upwards of 90% to other animal VN1 pheromone receptors.

    There is very little known about the ligands for these receptors and as far as I know only Hedione has been shown to definitively bind to the VN1R1 human vomeronasal protein. Anything claiming to sell pheromones IS lying, since there are no scientifically recognized pheromones other than Hedione.

    Remember that we still have a relatively poor understanding of how the olfactory bulb works in identifying different odors and there is always much more to be learned.

    Edit:
    I would also like to point out a bigger question as well, what is a pheromone? Is it just a chemical that instigates some form of psychosomatic response? There are many compounds that bring forth this type of response for me. Scents can change my mood and change my perception of a space or a person.

    If you are defining it as something that must be produced from the same organism to affect another organism of the same species then that definition would rule out human pheromones entirely (at least for now, maybe some will be discovered in the future). If you define it as any substance that alters perception and mood, then things get much more muddled and complicated.
    Last edited by Levanthenon; 14th August 2020 at 06:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    Slow down and put your thinking cap on. Of course we have such a system or we wouldn’t have survived to evolve. Sure, the system has gone increasingly under-utilized and increasingly dormant in the modern few tens of thousands of years of language and upright walking and becoming the devolved mess we are today. But once we were really alive out in the jungle and such, smelling prey, smelling predators, smelling when mates were mate-able. It was real and we were getting our B-12 from dirt, not cherry-flavored tablets. We definitely have it, but it is mostly dormant, thus the science world can’t come up with much.

    And, to the OP, since that system is mostly dormant and therefore impossible to collect data on, then of course nobody knows the how or what of it so obviously their product is fake crap.

    And. lastly, have I mentioned tonquitone lately?
    That tonquitone though! I got it after you told me, 40% final fragrance lmao

  9. #9

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by Casper_grassy View Post
    That tonquitone though! I got it after you told me, 40% final fragrance lmao
    You know, that tonq is 5-10% that exaltolide you’re so fond of. I’m quite addicted to it in a very Marquis de Sade kindof way. I wear it on my forearms when I lift weights. Huff a big whiff between sets. Been setting new personal records like crazy. Pheromone discussion aside, there is no doubt that scents do very real stuff in the brain that comes back out the neural messaging in very real physical expression.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by ourmess View Post
    Putative sex-specific human pheromones do not affect gender perception, attractiveness ratings or unfaithfulness judgements of opposite sex faces. Science proves once again that human pheromones aren’t real. Etc.

    It's certainly a complicated question, and scent cues appear to maybe play some role in human reactions, somehow, possibly, in a way that still isn't clear. But there's no such thing as "human pheromones" in the way that there are for insects, and anything sold as "human pheromones" is trash pseudoscience and/or trash marketing.
    Always important to note that not proving, including for reason of failing to prove, a thing to statistical significance in a given study doesn't prove it doesn't exist.

    As an amusing example, there was quite a long stretch in which seemingly one could not publish a scientific paper about anabolic steroids without including the shiboleth "Anabolic steroids are not proven to improve athletic performance or strength." Or at least one could scarcely find an article that did not have that stock phrase, even where as was usually the case the article had nothing to do with human performance whatsoever.

    "Not proven" did not mean "do not." Because of course they do and anyone who was the slightest informed at all knew that they did.

    And generally speaking, studies not finding a thing need to not be interpreted as the effect certainly or nearly certainly not existing, except where the study is closely examined and indeed has the power to rule out any substantial effect, and particularly where replicated in various ways.

    At one time, a given person or group found no evidence the Earth went about the Sun, but that doesn't mean it didn't.

    Another example I will not mention details of to avoid controversy is one can have a drug used for decades by hundreds of millions of people with virtually zero reported adverse events, OTC in many countries and routinely prescribed as a prophylactic as well as for therapueutic reasons, but for which now there is "no evidence of safety" or is even "proven and unacceptable risk," or where one can look at actual outcomes in multiple countries both over populations and in studies with thousands of people where positive effect is stunningly good, documented results in controlled settings not "anecdotal," but say there is "no evidence of efficacy." It's just how you define "no evidence."

    Until digging deeper, in very very many cases scientific studies saying there is no evidence or there is no effect aren't worth the ink their printing consumed.

    I am no pheromone expert but from personal experience I have no doubt that topically applied 4-androstenediol, at quite high dosages, which I was doing for another reason, had obvious and completely unexpected very positive effect in existing relationships, and so did quite a number of customers who used it. Without there ever having been promotion or mention of that effect. (The compound is now illegal in the United States due to "sanctity of sports" considerations, one really cannot get it anymore.)

    As mentioned on other occasions, I doubt that it is the 4-androstenedione itself that has that effect, but a skin metabolite. Just an expectation. In either case there is no perceptible odor from that compound whatsoever, I mean none, and if there was an odor from the skin metabolite as it developed, I never picked it out, though that's not to say it couldn't have existed.

  11. #11
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    You know, that tonq is 5-10% that exaltolide you’re so fond of. I’m quite addicted to it in a very Marquis de Sade kindof way. I wear it on my forearms when I lift weights. Huff a big whiff between sets. Been setting new personal records like crazy. Pheromone discussion aside, there is no doubt that scents do very real stuff in the brain that comes back out the neural messaging in very real physical expression.
    Absolutely, it's funny you say that cause I put exaltolide, now tonquitone on by itself and even the wife is like "you made that? it smells good" little does she know there's 0 effort haha. And I'm far removed from hitting a gym up, but every whiff after I curl my beer is quite pleasant.
    Are you talking about the Histoires de parfums marquis de sade? If so, that frag forced me to buy immortelle abs, that's a whole other discussion in terms of good

  12. #12
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Those heliocentric thoughts were a death sentence. At least we can be wrong about pheromones

  13. #13

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Bill makes an excellent point about logic implication/inference.

    Another thing that scientists and non-scientists ought to understand is that there is and always has been (through several centuries of scientific journals) a fundamental human problem that is rampant through the “sciences.” It is a problem of internal self-deception by scientists which then propagates as external deception in documenting work. There is such impetus to generate data, to publish, to seem to know, that many scientists unknowingly/subconsciously brush aside unknowns and internally accept assumptions as foundational facts, then they run their experiments and write up their data and in the process the reliance on assumptions is kindof lost, forgotten, hidden under the rug. The usefulness of the results are then exaggerated and falsely propped up while the degree to which said results are assumption-dependent is submerged. I’ve been through thousands of papers in my career and probably had less than fifty in which I did not observe this habit of assumption masquerading as fact and then forgotten by publication. I’ve emptied a lot of red ink pens in my career.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    I haven't heard of Tonquitone before but I looked it up on PA. I have all the constituent ingredients (ethylene brassylate 30-60%, exaltolide 5-10%, habanolide 5-10%, benzyl benzoate 5-10%, IPM 5-10%, hydroxycitronellal 0.1-1%). Would that be sufficient? Or does the SDS not necessarily include all the ingredients in a mixture? https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/msds/7655.pdf

  15. #15

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    The SDS does not necessarily include everything, and surely does not in this case.

    It's a shame we can't buy Tonquitone without the named ingredients, which are at least half of it and maybe even something such as 90%, but IFF has one or more things in it they want no one but themselves to be able to use however they might like, but only in combination with these things.

    But it's not that any of the ingredients are bad ones. I'd just rather have my own control of what musks are used. The more characteristic quality of Tonquitone I doubt to be a musk -- you certainly won't get it, at all, from mixing the above musks in any of the possible ratios shown there, or any possible ratios at all.

  16. #16
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by NanashiSaito View Post
    I haven't heard of Tonquitone before but I looked it up on PA. I have all the constituent ingredients (ethylene brassylate 30-60%, exaltolide 5-10%, habanolide 5-10%, benzyl benzoate 5-10%, IPM 5-10%, hydroxycitronellal 0.1-1%). Would that be sufficient? Or does the SDS not necessarily include all the ingredients in a mixture? https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/msds/7655.pdf
    "Industry secret"

  17. #17

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    The SDS does not necessarily include everything, and surely does not in this case.

    It's a shame we can't buy Tonquitone without the named ingredients, which are at least half of it and maybe even something such as 90%, but IFF has one or more things in it they want no one but themselves to be able to use however they might like, but only in combination with these things.

    But it's not that any of the ingredients are bad ones. I'd just rather have my own control of what musks are used. The more characteristic quality of Tonquitone I doubt to be a musk -- you certainly won't get it, at all, from mixing the above musks in any of the possible ratios shown there, or any possible ratios at all.
    Does that mean you think there's a captive in Tonquitone? Or just that they're not disclosing the "secret sauce", even if that sauce is a readily available ingredient?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    CG, I meant the dude, channeling the dude (won’t elaborate); however, 1740 is a patchouli masterpiece (immortelle much less after 2012ish reformulation); I have gravitated away from that level of sweet and gave it to my wife; absolutely magnificent on her belly

    NanashiSaito, go for it anyway! can’t wait to hear back

    Seriously though, guys, we should dilute Tonq and sell it in the body-builder magazines... call it “Gym Musk, guaranteed to pump you up”

  19. #19

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    I just gave it a quick whirl, 6mL Brassylate, 1mL Exaltolide, 1mL Habanolide, 1ml Benzyl Benzoate, 0.05ml Hydroxycitronellal (I left out the IPM), diluted with 36mL ethanol. Having never smelled Tonquitone, I can't really say, but I let my wife have a whiff and she said it reminded her of "that smell" from Axe body spray. Probably the Exaltolide, if I had to guess.

    Fun Fact #1: Women are more sensitive to the smell of Exaltolide when they're ovulating: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/....1967.22.2.311

    Fun Fact #2: -db- I totally confused my French sadists and thought you were talking about channeling your inner Gilles de Rais and I was very disturbed for a moment.

  20. #20
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    CG, I meant the dude, channeling the dude (won’t elaborate); however, 1740 is a patchouli masterpiece (immortelle much less after 2012ish reformulation); I have gravitated away from that level of sweet and gave it to my wife; absolutely magnificent on her belly

    NanashiSaito, go for it anyway! can’t wait to hear back

    Seriously though, guys, we should dilute Tonq and sell it in the body-builder magazines... call it “Gym Musk, guaranteed to pump you up”
    A little 120 days of sodom?
    i can second that, it's literally perfect on it's own.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by NanashiSaito View Post
    Does that mean you think there's a captive in Tonquitone? Or just that they're not disclosing the "secret sauce", even if that sauce is a readily available ingredient?
    I don't know if it's a captive but I would suppose so. I wouldn't know what available material, added to those materials, would give the same effect

  22. #22
    Super Member Casper_grassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    Quote Originally Posted by NanashiSaito View Post
    Does that mean you think there's a captive in Tonquitone? Or just that they're not disclosing the "secret sauce", even if that sauce is a readily available ingredient?
    A wise man named George Carlin once said "it's a big club, and you ain't in it"

  23. #23

    Default Re: Anybody heard/used "love-scent.com"

    NanashiSaito,
    1. Be sure to get it sometime so you’ll know
    2. Yikes. Not that dude. Horrific. Not Vlad the Impaler either. Just nice playful Marquis de Sade.




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11th February 2017, 01:44 PM
  2. Favorite "smell good"/"safe"/"blind buy" scent?
    By tommygunz in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 5th May 2013, 09:06 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st December 2012, 09:05 PM
  4. Actually heard someone say "old lady scent"! About a Tauer!
    By redrose in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 25th June 2012, 02:33 AM
  5. looking for a "cheap" masculine scent that women will love
    By starbloom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 13th September 2010, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000