Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not into rose fragrances usually, but fell in love with this one

Hi everyone!

While on vacation recently, I sampled Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle, and I fell in love with it. While not normally a huge fan of rose fragrances, it didn't seem to bother me this time. On the other hand, I am a huge fan of incense, patchouli too, so that might have been the reason I loved it so much.

As it is, the fragrance is pretty expensive, so it is not easy for me to splash out on it, since it is pretty specific and definitely not for everyday/office wear.

Can you recommend me something along this vibe that I should try out and consider buying instead of PoaL? In the end, I might buy it, but would at least like to try and sample stuff before splashing out.

The only rose fragrance that I could think about was Noir de Noir..

If it means anything, I am a 25 year old male, consider myself well dressed, but rarely wear suits/shirts, more of a leather jacket or hoodie/sneakers type of guy.

Default Re: Not into rose fragrances usually, but fell in love with this one

Masculine rose done very well.

If you're looking for something closer to POAL, this is fairly close and a fraction of the price (check out reviews on Fragrantica.)

Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post

Excellent suggestion!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It deviates from the usual rose perfumes (usually jammy, chocolaty and of course the overdone oud combo), to me it's equally about patchouli as it's about rose which makes it "masculine" despite the heavy rose dose! The rose itself isn't the juicy jammy type it's more realistic floral type which I adore. I also enjoy the similar Porpora. Which I recommend for you to try. Idk if it's cheap enough for you but I prefer it to PoaL.

My own favorite rose now is Hermès Rose Amazone. I used to enjoy Lumiere Noir but it was too "innocent", if it makes any sense.

Ps, if you like Noir de Noir try Armaf club de Nuit Intense Woman, it doesn't have the chocolate, the rose is more dominant, it's insanely louder and longer lasting, the scent quality is equally good.

Chanel Egoiste, particularly the vintage version, is my all-time favorite masculine rose frag. It's a gem.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Dependent

+1 for Egoiste.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Chanel Egoiste, particularly the vintage version, is my all-time favorite masculine rose frag. It's a gem.
    +1 for Egoiste
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I would just shell out for the Portrait of a Lady. Best rose fragrance ever IMHO.

Lyric Man or Opus X from Amouage -- not cheaper though

Le Parfums Rosine specialize in rose fragrances only -- well worth checking out if you can

Portrait of a Lady is great. If you love it, it might be worth saving up for. It's always fun when you find a fragrance you love in an unexpected genre.

Have a sniff of Opus 1870 - one of my wowed me fragrances. Good stuff - leans formal

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    I would just shell out for the Portrait of a Lady. Best rose fragrance ever IMHO.
    This. There is nothing else like poal.

I personally don't think of EGOISTE as a rose frag, but there is a rosey element to it for sure. I get more sandalwood and cinnamon (which I love).

But I'm another voice saying to check it out. Very wearable and nice.

LUMIERE NOIR POUR HOMME is another vaunted rose scent for men, but it wears way too light on me. Not all seem to have that issue.

As a dark horse suggestion, DOMENICO CARACENI 1913. One of the primary reasons I joined Basenotes was that I was looking for a masculine rose scent. DC 1913 was my first ever purchase at Lucky Scent and first ever purchase I discovered as a Basenotes member. A great rose, tobacco, incense. Comes off as a sort of dark but soapy European barbershop scent. Worth a sample.

I kind of like POAL, but it has just never really clicked for me. The people who like it really LOVE IT, that's for sure.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Welcome!

Portrait of a lady is quite unique. Big woods behind the rose-doesn't feel rosy at all. Hard to think about anything that feels the same.

For something that has rose but where the rose is more than balanced by masculine materials, Aramis 900 has patch over rose (but a dirtier,more classic patch relative to the dry woody one in PoaL). seconding also some Parfums de rosine (niche, though less expensive than Malle)-in particular Twill Rose (musky vegetal) or Rose d'Homme (spices).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    It deviates from the usual rose perfumes (usually jammy, chocolaty and of course the overdone oud combo), to me it's equally about patchouli as it's about rose which makes it "masculine" despite the heavy rose dose! The rose itself isn't the juicy jammy type it's more realistic floral type which I adore. I also enjoy the similar Porpora. Which I recommend for you to try. Idk if it's cheap enough for you but I prefer it to PoaL.

My own favorite rose now is Hermès Rose Amazone. I used to enjoy Lumiere Noir but it was too "innocent", if it makes any sense.

Ps, if you like Noir de Noir try Armaf club de Nuit Intense Woman, it doesn't have the chocolate, the rose is more dominant, it's insanely louder and longer lasting, the scent quality is equally good.
    Nice! Big fan of Rose Amazone as well, but only have samples. It is in my buy list.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I personally don't think of EGOISTE as a rose frag, but there is a rosey element to it for sure. I get more sandalwood and cinnamon (which I love).

LUMIERE NOIR POUR HOMME is another vaunted rose scent for men, but it wears way too light on me. Not all seem to have that issue.
    I'm with you on Egoiste. I love it as well, but I would never call it a rose fragrance.

Lumiere Noire ph works well on my skin, fortunately. It's one of a handful of scents that I would consider a signature scent, if I were ever forced to do that again.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

Among so many other great recommendations also adding:
    Habit Rouge in EDP concentration, Ungaro II, Ungaro III and/or III Parfum Aromatique, Cerruti 1881 Amber, Esencia Loewe, Zino Davidoff, Acteur by Azzaro, Furyo by Bogart, Tasmeem by Rasasi, Egoiste Concentree, most Marbert scents including Homme, Lancetti Uomo Concentree, ADP Rosa Nbile, certain aspects of Versace Black Jeans and of Boss Elements, Joint by Roccobarocco, l'Occitanne Arlesienne and/or Jardin en Fete
    Currently wearing: Envy for Men by Gucci

I would save for PoAL as I don’t know anything similar and it’s indeed one of the best rose scents I know. I just don’t tell it’s the best cause I do like rose scents and there are many kinds of excellent rose scents.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Plus

As a dark horse suggestion, DOMENICO CARACENI 1913. One of the primary reasons I joined Basenotes was that I was looking for a masculine rose scent. DC 1913 was my first ever purchase at Lucky Scent and first ever purchase I discovered as a Basenotes member. A great rose, tobacco, incense. Comes off as a sort of dark but soapy European barbershop scent. Worth a sample.

I kind of like POAL, but it has just never really clicked for me. The people who like it really LOVE IT, that's for sure.
    Does anyone else smell obvious tobacco in Egoiste as well? The rose is a bit 'in the mix' in my opinion. The sum of Egoiste is so obviously greater than its parts. A fantastic blending. The modern Egoiste is more wearable in today's fragrance culture than the vintage. The vintage is rough around the edges while the modern version is more clean and classy. So, I prefer the modern, but respect and still enjoy the vintage. The modern re-imagining could not be possible without the vintage.
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

My favorite rose scent: 'Voleur de Roses' (1993) by Michel Almairac for L'Artisan Parfumeur Paris
    'Voleur de Roses' (1993) by Michel Almairac for L'Artisan Parfumeur @LArtisan Paris (01bb1).jpg
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 14th August 2020 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Does anyone else smell obvious tobacco in Egoiste as well? The rose is a bit 'in the mix' in my opinion. The sum of Egoiste is so obviously greater than its parts. A fantastic blending. The modern Egoiste is more wearable in today's fragrance culture than the vintage. The vintage is rough around the edges while the modern version is more clean and classy. So, I prefer the modern, but respect and still enjoy the vintage. The modern re-imagining could not be possible without the vintage.
    I see the note listed, but I never get much other than rose, cinnamon and sandalwood to my nose.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Have a sniff of Opus 1870 - one of my wowed me fragrances. Good stuff - leans formal

Opus is great stuff, would recommend it too. But... it doesn't have incense or patchouli so may not compare directly....

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Opus is great stuff, would recommend it too. But... it doesn't have incense or patchouli so may not compare directly....
    Your exactly right, but possibly and contender for rose scents for those who dont do rose . Toppie!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+1 ...Lumiere Noire is very good.

I'm a fan of Rose 31 by Le Labo as well, but it doesn't have any patch.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Green Irish Tweed
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

You said it

This is a one in a million scent that any rose lover should at least make an effort to try. The artemisia note is blended beautifully in this and I would not want to be without this scent, having got it barely a few months ago. I find that I crave for Lumiere more than Egoiste and C&S No. 88 given how unique it is.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Lumiere Noire ph works well on my skin, fortunately. It's one of a handful of scents that I would consider a signature scent, if I were ever forced to do that again.
    Yes same here. Two sprays max and it projects like a monster and lasts the whole day.

When i first got my bottle (from new I should say), it took a couple of wears to open up to full strength. So don't be put off by weak performance from the first spray of a new bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Yes same here. Two sprays max and it projects like a monster and lasts the whole day.

When i first got my bottle (from new I should say), it took a couple of wears to open up to full strength. So don't be put off by weak performance from the first spray of a new bottle.
    Really? All day?? That one sadly wears very light on me. Criminally light.

I'm envious.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    +1 ...Lumiere Noire is very good.

I'm a fan of Rose 31 by Le Labo as well, but it doesn't have any patch.
    I always forget about ROSE 31 and quite like it. Will break it out tomorrow.
    But no patch. More cedar if I recall.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Two sprays max and it projects like a monster and lasts the whole day.

I'm envious.
    I'm somewhere in-between. I don't get monster projection from Lumiere Noire, but it's not quiet either. Three sprays & I'm good for the day.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Green Irish Tweed
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I'm envious.
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm somewhere in-between. I don't get monster projection from Lumiere Noire, but it's not quiet either. Three sprays & I'm good for the day.
    Yup same here. The projection is very good. It's soft, yet doesn't enter the room before you do. All day longevity and perhaps longer. I can't wear a second scent if I've put on Lumiere. And the dry down is magnificent!