Code of Conduct

Default Thinking about buying thierry mugler angel men

Hi guys
    When i started my journey i read alot about colognes and sampled this thierry mugler angel men and hated it at thag moment
    Now after sampling some of the popular niche and most designers i re sniffed this thierryugler angel and really liked it no idea if it cganged or my taste have changed but i plan to buy it for this winter .
    My question is to the guys that have batches of 2019 or 2020 what longivity / projection do you get ?
    Also do you guys think this is a compliment getter or a challenging scent ?

Default Re: Thinking about buying thierry mugler angel men

That's one that I've always avoided, but perhaps I would like it if I gave it another sniff now.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Ismellperfect View Post
    Also do you guys think this is a compliment getter or a challenging scent ?
    Challenging scent for some perhaps, but not for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It has not changed. Your tastes have shifted.

I think the batch thing is a bit overblown. Especially with a scent like this.

The "compliment getter' stuff is very arbitrary. Some people will like it and some people won't. They may or may not say "you smell great" or "that smells bad." Spend more time in the "What scent gets you the most female compliments" thread until you grasp that with over 10,000 posts, at some point everything is a "compliment getter."

Just wear what you like and make you feel centered.

It's a great scent, but some do find it off-putting. Not a good business/work kind of scent.

Just be careful with how much you apply. You're probably young, horny and hoping to attract women. Don't over apply this one or it can piss people off.

Don't wear so much it attacks people. Wear it so if someone likes it they have to come closer....
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Personally I enjoy Amen. It's my favorite of the entire Amen line, including all of the flankers.

I'd recommend an earlier bottle if possible as the recent bottles are weaker in performance imo.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I was sort of put off by it ~14 years ago when I first sniffed it, but that was when I was first getting into this hobby. Now it's one of my favorites for cold weather. The tar note can be challenging to some, but it's a great fragrance if you like gourmands.

As a side note, I've read that recent batches (reformulation?) have muted or dropped the tar note, but not sure how much truth there is to that. I personally enjoy that note.

Haven’t had any experience with newer batches, but noticed a strange fact: my metal flask one has better performance than the rubber one from the same year and smells slightly different. I read somewhere that the refil bottles (used in the metal flask) smells different from the rubber ones. I thought it was just my mind playing tricks, but it isn’t. They are (were?) indeed different.
    Last edited by Beck; 14th August 2020 at 03:54 AM.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I never got on with the A*Men DNA and actually find it off putting. I do love, yes love Ultra Zest though.

So, can't answer the weaker/longevity question; though I hear it's "watered down."

The second part, I would say it's challenging when compared with the general population of today's fragrances. Not always a bad thing, but it is for me in this case.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

everyday i'm samplin'

I sold it off. I like it. I respect it. I don't really miss it.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Like many others, I thought it was revolting when I first smelled it, then eventually got on its wavelength. That coffee/bergamot/cedar/whatever-the-fuck that smells like tar in the opening takes getting used to. I don't wear A*Men as much as I wear the original Angel (both are unisex, in my opinion), but I like keeping it around. It's a winter comfort scent to me, all chocolate and coffee and caramel and musky warmth, once that opening salvo is done with.

I avoid the slippery slope toward madness that is batch code comparisons, so others might have more detailed info on whether A*Men has been reformulated and, if so, how drastically; for what it's worth, my current bottle (purchased last year) still smells like the A*Men that put me off all those years ago. It's a pretty distinctive scent - I imagine only the most drastic reformulation would significantly alter its core character, and that hasn't happened (yet). If anything, it probably smells smoother and sweeter than the old stuff - gourmand scents have come a long way since 1996, and I wouldn't put it past Mugler to modernize the materials a bit.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, just get it. I did a 180 just like you. I'm so glad I own a bottle. Such an awesome scent.

It's just too sickly-sweet as it goes on and you will have smelled the typical cloud of A*Men and Angel many a time. People just seem to love to overapply these. Encountered it again a few days ago. I'M WEARING ANGEL was announced approximately 30 seconds before the perp crossed my path. Angel is the more pleasant of the 2.

it is indeed not as strong as it used to be.
    the flankers last longer now.
    however, a weaker amen is welcomed by many..

Dependent

If you really like it, then just buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    If you really like it, then just buy it.
    indeed yes, fully seconding this particular past and opinion.

Besides this happens to be among the quite few (and increasingly fewer) male scents can truly say about and personally/subjectively rate that its good performance and projection as well as unmistakable notes were largely if not even entirely unaffected/unchanged over the years, irrespective of batch, version, formulation etc.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I agree with Scents and Sense, and Ken_Russel, if you enjoy it just grab a bottle and don't sweat the reformulations/batches/year produced issues. This one has stayed near the top of my favorites list for almost a decade now, it's just such an enjoyable wear, especially when cold outside. Plus it is pretty cheap at the discounters; I find it one of the best values out there since it goes for like $40 bucks for 100ml.

Buy an old batch.

The new batches no longer have the tar/funk in them, and smell like straight cotton candy.

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    The new batches no longer have the tar/funk in them, and smell like straight cotton candy.
    Wow that sounds awful. Mugler has really fallen off as of late.

Dependent

Don't.
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Got a sample of the new angel men (batch not specified , the star bottle) ,i find it quite nice ,performance is actually good , as of compliments I cant really tell since I didn’t wear it outside yet .
    I can see this as a winter/fall signature scent , if you like it , go for it.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage