Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Bracken and Myths Woman

I've been very curious about these lately. For those of you who tried, what do you think? Are there any die hard fans here?

I'm not sure if it's worth a blind buy but no store I tried in my area that's open has them in stock.

Myths I tried once and disliked, when it first came out and I was quite new to my fragrance journey. I wonder if anything has changed now and can't remember the specifics. Both seem by notes alone very unlike anything I own.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Default Re: Amouage Bracken and Myths Woman

Bracken man, to me is very bad. I for some reason cant stand that cucumber fern galbanum smelling combo. It is cold bitter and disturbingly green. Not sure about bracken woman. If that genre interests you, i would suggest le sillage blanc and nuit de bakelite by naomi goodsir.

Myths was pleasant to me, but nowhere near a masterpiece. New overture would be my center of interest.

While unfamiliar with both feminine Bracken and Myths Woman, therefore likely off-topic at least in part, happening to have personally enjoyed Bracken Men enough to recommend this further and in a fairly direct, non-reluctant way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Bracken man, to me is very bad. I for some reason cant stand that cucumber fern galbanum smelling combo. It is cold bitter and disturbingly green. Not sure about bracken woman. If that genre interests you, i would suggest le sillage blanc and nuit de bakelite by naomi goodsir.

Myths was pleasant to me, but nowhere near a masterpiece. New overture would be my center of interest.
    Thank you very much! Both seem to be on Luckyscent so will request some samples with my next order there.

Overture sounds interesting indeed. I haven't seen it around yet at all, nor have I explored the men's line yet, but I love cognac notes.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    While unfamiliar with both feminine Bracken and Myths Woman, therefore likely off-topic at least in part, happening to have personally enjoyed Bracken Men enough to recommend this further and in a fairly direct, non-reluctant way.
    Thank you very much! I really need to explore the men's line as well to find any that are unisex enough amongst them.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Between two pine trees

I haven’t tried Myths Woman, but I may have a sample of it that I haven’t catalogued yet. I’ll check this evening.

Now, Bracken Woman - I adore it, but it’s polarizing. It’s very green, very tart, very BWF, and loaded with patchouli. I fell in love with it when I was browsing at Osswald a couple of years ago, and Josie, shocked, said “You are literally the only person who has smelled it in this shop and not hated it!”

Imagine if Angel were stripped of the chocolate note, its fruits were replaced with a tart red currant (sort of like the tartness in Byredo Pulp), and the whole thing got loaded up with a bright green note (NOT a dark oakmossy note - it’s a happy, almost neon green note) - and that’s Bracken Woman.

If that sounds like your cup of tea, I would suggest trying it, but I can’t in good conscience recommend a blind buy, no matter how I personally love it.

Check your Inbox for a PM from me

This sounds super interesting! I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.

And interesting about Osswalds! I don't believe I ever got the chance to smell it there. I'm not a fan of Angel, but I have enjoyed many Angel inspired fragrances.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Between two pine trees

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I'm not a fan of Angel, but I have enjoyed many Angel inspired fragrances.
    I despise Angel but, like you, enjoy many fragrances that copied its structure. I love Angel Muse, Gucci Rush, Guichard's Visa, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I despise Angel but, like you, enjoy many fragrances that copied its structure. I love Angel Muse, Gucci Rush, Guichard's Visa, etc.
    I've yet to try Gucci Rush, but I hear it is often compared to Clive Christian X for Women which is the fragrance that started this journey for me! I assume I will love it!
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Just reading Extreme's review of Bracken, not sure I'm going to like my sample when it comes, you're welcome to it if I don't.

I love love love love Bracken Woman. It’s a postmodern, throwback, ultra luxe, Amouageization, of the darker classic green chypres IMO. Not s drop of sweetness. Green/patchouli perfumes can be quite austere, but the quality of its materials makes it velvety-smooth on skin. I suppose it could be polarizing, but if you like green fragrances, and you really like galbanum, you’ll probably like it.

I still have not smelled Myths, yet. I always approach any new Amouage, with trepidation, because I usually fall for them, hard.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    I love love love love Bracken Woman. It’s a postmodern, throwback, ultra luxe, Amouageization, of the darker classic green chypres IMO. Not s drop of sweetness. Green/patchouli perfumes can be quite austere, but the quality of its materials makes it velvety-smooth on skin. I suppose it could be polarizing, but if you like green fragrances, and you really like galbanum, you’ll probably like it.

I still have not smelled Myths, yet. I always approach any new Amouage, with trepidation, because I usually fall for them, hard.
    I am so intrigued! I think my sample will be here on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    I am so intrigued! I think my sample will be here on Monday.
    I hope you like it! Btw, the presentation—always great with Amouage—is outstanding. I don’t know why they chose the coral shade of the bottle (my synaesthesia sees shades of pine green and deep scarlet, with a bright white streak, because it has an Ivory soap accord, too, which makes it even more retro, to my nose), and the box has a gorgeous coral psychedelic paisley pattern on it. Most of Amouage’s perfumes have legible vintage ancestors (Gold is clearly related to No, 5/Arpege/Caeleche/etc, and so on), and I guess the great green heyday was the late 60s and early 70s, so maybe that’s what they were aiming for. BTW, I’m glad you’re enjoying Une Fleur de Cassie. It’s the exact opposite of what everyone smells like these days, but it isn’t really a throwback, either. Maybe some of the more serious-minded Ormonde Jaynes have a similar pitch, but the tone is different—not transparent and wispy, like most of the OJs, and it has something almost savory about it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s absolutely sublime to wear once autumn kicks in. It seems to capture the yellow/green/golden brown colors and damp earth/dry leaf textures of fall, in a way that no other perfume i’ve ever smelled has even remotely come close to. It is probably the only Malle I own that I would consider buying a backup for. I worry sometimes that Lauder will disco some of the early Malles, especially the ones that I don’t always see on the perfume counters. Then I remember that Lauder didn’t kill off Azuree or Alliage, that Aromatics Elixir still smells great, and that the only MFK that disappeared was Absolu Soir, and that they seem to be leaving Le Labo pretty much as is. Overall, they’re arguably doing better than LVMH, with some of their heritage scents.

You know, now that I think about it, Une Fleur de Cassie reminds me a little of Aromatics Elixir. They don’t smell anything alike, but there is some similarity of attitude. That dryness, and that shadowy golden quality. Note to self: put AE on the buy list for fall, with the lovely ancillary lotion included.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Khanada, waaaay above my novice level of knowledge but I love your descriptions! I absolutely adore 2 of my Amouage samples so I'm going for more. Makes sense to me!!!!