Code of Conduct

Default Anyone still rocking Castile?

Just scored myself a bottle. Fantastic stuff in the heat.

Default Re: Anyone still rocking Castile?

Love it.

And even though it initially feels like a very light scent, it keeps making an appearance throughout the day. (on my skin at least)

Clean and soapy!

Waiting for L'homme blanc Individuel to enter...

I'm wearing it from time to time. It is a nice one. If I had to criticize it it is just a tad to bitter for my taste. Makes it a bit old school. But I'm ignoring that part and enjoying the rest

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    EXACTLY!

L'Homme must be in sales or he should be. His gushing about scents he really likes has caused me many a purchase and I have been greatly tempted by his extolling the virtues of this one.

I just picked up GUERLAIN HOMME so I'm all set on light scents for the just starting SoCal heatwave. (But while in a Los Angeles perfume store Saturday I admit I WAS asking about CASTILE and probably would have blind bought if they had it. And thinking of all of L'Hommes laudits when asking).
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th August 2020 at 10:08 AM.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I own a bottle but Penhaligon's is so expensive for the quality nowadays and I have things which overlap so I don't wear it much,
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 17th August 2020 at 10:06 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    EXACTLY!

L'Homme must be in sales or he should be. His gushing about scents he really likes has caused me many a purchase and I have been greatly tempted by his extolling the virtues of this one.

I just picked up GUERLAIN HOMME so I'm all set on light scents for the just starting SoCal heatwave. (But while in a Los Angeles perfume store Saturday I was asking about CASTILE and probably would have blind bought if they had it).
    For sure! He made me go for it as well

I never really liked any Penhaligon's scent. But this one would likely be my choice if I had to pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I never really liked any Penhaligon's scent. But this one would likely be my choice if I had to pick one.
    Well get your wallets ready because once L'Homme Blanc shows up here (and with the name of this thread, he will), we'll all be whipped into a "MUST HAVE CASTILE SOON" frenzy.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

The opening is quite beautiful and for about 30 minutes it is really something. I find the drydown slightly flat though.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I never really liked any Penhaligon's scent.
    Pretty much the same although still have hope.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I’ve wanted to check this one out, I’ve slept on it too long and now prices are retail and nothing but so a pass for now.

The only reason for not rocking this currently is almost only/entirely its quite limited/infrequent availability where I live

Ha! Was thinking the same thing. He convinced me to buy Castile too, and I'm sure glad he did. One of my favorite summer fragrances.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Castile is my most worn scent, by far. And you're right that it wears really well in the heat, but it wears equally well in the cold, mostly due to the depth of its base. It isn't heavy, but it isn't light either.

Well get your wallets ready because once L'Homme Blanc shows up here (and with the name of this thread, he will), we'll all be whipped into a "MUST HAVE CASTILE SOON" frenzy.

It's unintentional, I promise! I just really love the way this one wears. It's funny too, because I went through two samples before I finally committed to a bottle. Castile wasn't the sort of thing I used to wear, and when I finally bought a bottle (I got a tester dirt cheap) I figured it would be something I'd only reach for every now & then, or maybe just in spring... but each time I wore it, I enjoyed it more than the time before.

I might start wearing it a bit less often since the days of buying Penhaligon's testers for $30 to $40 seem to be long gone. Sigh.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes
    Aqua Universalis
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

I might start wearing it a bit less often since the days of buying Penhaligon's testers for $30 to $40 seem to be long gone. Sigh.

Think Castille is great stuff so good you showed up to raise the flag.

But double sigh, I have a mess of Penhaligons, testers picked up at modest price as you mention, but they do seem to be less common as current retail zooms up.

Maybe time to look for backups.... But still stumble across things, got deals on Zizonia and Juniper Sling in last few months....
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Castile is my most worn scent, by far. And you're right that it wears really well in the heat, but it wears equally well in the cold, mostly due to the depth of its base. It isn't heavy, but it isn't light either.

It's unintentional, I promise! I just really love the way this one wears. It's funny too, because I went through two samples before I finally committed to a bottle. Castile wasn't the sort of thing I used to wear, and when I finally bought a bottle (I got a tester dirt cheap) I figured it would be something I'd only reach for every now & then, or maybe just in spring... but each time I wore it, I enjoyed it more than the time before.

I don't mean to imply you are pushing it on anyone. But when you have a scent you really love, you are able to write about in a manner that is compelling.

I nearly got a speeding ticket on the way to buy AQUA UNIVERSALIS.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I have a bottle.

I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with Cologne Indelebile.

Castile is quite nice, though.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I have a bottle.

I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with Cologne Indelebile.

Castile is quite nice, though.
    Yup. I can totally understand that. Cologne Indelebile is sort of like Castile, but with the weight in Castile replaced by an almost etherial lightness plus bit of wood in the base, and with florals that are breezy instead of soapy.

Cologne Indelebile, Chanel's Eau De Cologne, and Castile, are perfect examples of how misguided people are when they say Niche means Challenging. NONE of those three scents are challenging, but each is a very niche take on a similar & common idea. Hey, I loves me some challenging stuff. Interlude Man is an all time favorite! WOW! But I also love when a perfumer takes a simple concept and executes it to an almost absurdly high quality. Chanel's Eau De Cologne is ridiculous in its smoothness. That's a $300 version of a $5 idea, done to perfection. To anybody who says it's not worth it, I'd say "You're right." But for somebody who enjoys that style of scent and has the ability to appreciate the difference that level of quality makes, it's definitely worth it.

To me, that's the beauty of niche perfumery. Niche, by definition, means it ain't for everybody, nor is it meant to be. That's the key to success in any business, really. Know your audience. Do everything you can to exceed their expectations.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes
    Aqua Universalis
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

It's one I'm interested in trying.

Blog Entries

I don't mean to imply you are pushing it on anyone. But when you have a scent you really love, you are able to write about in a manner that is compelling.
    Oh, I know. No worries!

I do worry sometimes about unintentionally convincing people to buy scents I rave about. I'd feel bad if I caused somebody to waste money on something that wasn't for them. On the other hand, it's always great to help someone find something they enjoy.

Anyway... as long as we're talking about Castile, I'll tell my Castile story*.

I love getting unbiassed opinions - but the key to getting an unbiassed opinion is knowing how to not say anything about the scent you're spraying for someone. I don't tell names, notes or info. Nothing. I don't even let someone see the bottle until she's given me her opinion of what she smells because I don't want to unintentionally guide her. I will sometimes set up a scenario. For example, I'll say something like "Imagine you're standing in an elevator & you notice the guy behind you smells like THIS (handing her sprayed paper). What kind of guy is he? Is he single, is he married? Young? Old? Is he an introvert or extravert? Sports? Books? Tell me what you expect to see if you turn around to look at him." God, that's fun.

The day I got Castile, I did what we all do. I wore it! I had a date that night with a woman who was into fragrances, but she wasn't familiar with anything beyond the stuff you'd see at Macy's, so I was hoping to getting her thoughts on it - but I didn't mention it at all, because I wanted her honest opinion. If she didn't say anything, that would mean she either didn't notice it on me, or she didn't enjoy it enough to mention it.

That evening, I opened a bottle of wine and we started going through my wardrobe. Her two favorites from what I sprayed were Original Vetiver and Noir De Noir. But she shot down Castile, HARD. She sniffed it & gave me a "WTF?" look.

She said "I don't get it. It's soap. You bought cologne that smells like soap?" Hey, whatever. Different people like different things, and she's right that it DOES smell like soap.

Fast forward to later in the evening. She put her head in my chest & said "Ooh, you smell so good. Why didn't you bring this one out when we were smelling stuff?"

I told her I did. I said "It's the one that smells like soap," but she didn't believe me. So I fetched the bottle and asked if I could spray her wrist. She smelled it on her skin and said something like "Yeah, this is the soap one. It's... nice. Why does it smell so different on you?" I explained how fragrances evolve on skin as some notes fade more quickly than others, blah blah. Eventually, I got up to open another bottle of wine & when I came back, she said "OK, I get it now. Wow! This is great!"

She pretty much summed up the way I feel about Castile.

I don't think the opening is the best part of the scent. In fact, I'm glad it isn't. The opening is nice - it's a burst of springtime soapy/flowery freshness, but let's be honest: tons of scents do that. For me, the magic of Castile is the quality of the scent as a whole, and in particular, it's about whatever they're using in the base.

I do not believe the list of notes for Castile - or any scent - reflects what's actually in it. Notes are about marketing (the same is true for wine).

I've been wearing the heck out of this stuff since 2017, but I still haven't figured out what I'm smelling in that base. I'd swear I'm getting a hint of patchouli - or something sort of mossy/earthy - mixed with rose and a wonderful warm musk. That combination gives Castile a marvelous humanness. It isn't masculine. It isn't feminine. It's just human, and it's infinitely huggable.

*Asterisk note from above: Yeah, I tell stories. That's the way my mind works. Some people go through life like they're knocking down dominoes. First this, then that, and then the next thing. For me, an experience isn't just about what happened. It's about why. A deeper understanding of it all is what makes life so much fun.
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre d'Hermes
    Aqua Universalis
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

That's a great story.

I wouldn't want you to restrain your enthusiasm one bit. Note that many of us were happily expecting you to show up in this CASTILE thread.

I enjoy that there is a pretty strong core group here and you get to know people a bit. Their likes- their dislikes. Other quirks.

Blog Entries

It's nice, but overly chemical, which is why it lasts so long and projects so well compared to others of similar style. Personally I prefer Dunhill Icon, as I find it similar enough, and actually more depth, better quality, and costs less.
    Currently wearing: Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I nearly got a speeding ticket on the way to buy AQUA UNIVERSALIS.
    Our favourite enabler
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Still have my very old bottle, since I use it only infrequently, despite liking it ALOT.

Basenotes Plus

I use Castile.... soap!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I use Castile.... soap!
    Ha I did pick some up for a plant wash, haven't gotten round to sniffing it.

Eventually, I got up to open another bottle of wine & when I came back, she said "OK, I get it now. Wow! This is great!"

She pretty much summed up the way I feel about Castile.
    I love these types of fragrances.

The neroli is really good. I still have a sample. I think the musk is a bit too off-putting and slightly feminine for me to wear regularly. Top marks though compared to what Penhaligons has put out in the last 10 years. Just garbage.

I wear it quite frequently, it's near the top of my most worn over the last year.