Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Recommendation for Men's Fragrance in a Office/School setting

Quote Originally Posted by chewydrop View Post
    Thoughts about Armani Code EDT?
    Low projection for your objectives. But pleasant (I love it tbh).
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Carioca by Granado

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I am new to using fragrances. Last year I recently blindly bought a bottle of lacoste essential, but i feel like the scent does not last even an hour. I have gotten 0 compliments. I believe it's time for a change...

I need a scent that will turn heads, but appropriate for the setting! I've watched a couple of you tube videos and read up on some articles... and the two most common ones that I've seen constantly are 1. Dior Sauvage 2. Chanel de bleu (pretty pricey)

I am a graduate student so I can't afford over the top expensive fragrances! Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
    Fahrenheit or A* Men / A* Men Pure Havane

I wore a lot of Kouros, Chergui, Rive Gauche pour Homme and Azzaro pour Homme when I was a grad student in addition to Fahrenheit and Pure Havane.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Pretty good but I think Code A-List is much much better. Still has the same Code structure and DNA but more smoothed out.
    Can you explain what DNA (in terms of frags) means? I keep seeing it on the forums.

Can you explain what DNA (in terms of frags) means? I keep seeing it on the forums.
    It's sort of an ethereal descriptor of a scent. The term is used to represent the feeling or composition frequently associated with a particular fragrance or house. It does not specifically refer to notes or accords, but I suppose it could be used in that context. If you ever sniff something and think "this smells like something Hermes would make" you could say that it has Hermes's DNA. Hard to explain but hope that helps.

Dependent

DNA is when you can smell a similar structure in fragrances from the same brand or line. Like an olfactive signature or catch phrase. It's not really the direct smell of something, it's more of the stuff that makes up the smell.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Don't listen to the Sauvage haters, it's great for what you're looking for, if you like how it smells and find it at a price you can afford. The EDP would be a bit better for an office than the EDT.

If you like Aqcua Di Gio, then Perry Ellis 360 Red is a safe blind buy. It smells the same, except that it isn't bitter, and has a bit of spiciness to it. It performs better, and it's extremely cheap.

+1 D&G The One EDP.

I would recommend recommend Valentino Uomo Intense, in lieu of Dior Homme, due to Uomo's better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    Don't listen to the Sauvage haters,
    LISTEN to the Sauvage haters. It will avoid you to be fired. It’s intoxicating. Thank them later.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

All about the masculines.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee
    Mont Blanc Explorer
    Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Dior Homme 2020
    Dior Homme Original
    Dior Homme Intense

These are excellent office staples and don’t come off generic.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    LISTEN to the Sauvage haters. It will avoid you to be fired. It’s intoxicating. Thank them later.
    Two sprays of Sauvage EDP won't get anyone fired.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thoughts about Armani Code EDT?
    I happen to enjoy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Two sprays of Sauvage EDP won't get anyone fired.
    There’s still a risk. lol

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I wore a lot of Kouros, Chergui, Rive Gauche pour Homme and Azzaro pour Homme when I was a grad student in addition to Fahrenheit and Pure Havane.
    Jeebus... you were a classy student, dude. For me it was Paco Rabanne XS Black, Kenneth Cole Black and many splashes of eau de stale beer.

A lot of awesome suggestions on this thread and you can't go wrong with most of them. If you do go for Sauvage, just go easy on the trigger in an office setting. It projects like a mofo.

I'll +1 Bowling Green and Homm L'eau Boisee. Both are solid you're unlikely to run into someone else wearing the same thing. If you can still find a bottle floating around, Guerlain's discontinued L'Homme Ideal Cologne is also magnificent and you can practically steal it from a seller.

If you enjoyed BdC and Sauvage, I'd also recommend Montblanc Legend Spirit. It's sneaky good, a derivative little compliment monster that is also a complete bargain.
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde

Based on your setting and price requirements:

- Versace Pour Homme +1
    - Montblanc Legend Spirit +1

Both affordable, appropriate for office/school, and will garner compliments. These would be ideal for you to test.

I want to try ADG Profondo at Sephora this week to see how I like it. I would use it mostly for school/office settings.

As far as wearing a fragrance that's too strong, I just change my spray routine so it won't be a problem. I've gotten away with one spray of Bentley of Men Intense at work/school many times, and that one is a monster as far as performance (I'm talking it's still projecting well 12 hours in with three sprays).

I want to try ADG Profondo at Sephora this week to see how I like it. I would use it mostly for school/office settings.
    ADG Profondo would be a good choice for such purposes. I've been thinking of doing the same thing as well!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."