Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - September 2020

Thanks to all who contributed to last month's thread! Looking forward to reading more of your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sample of the Day - September 2020

Clash: Chlorophyll Gardenia by Comme des Garcons:

l get a delightful dose of rhubarb in the opening, of the raw, unsweetened kind. lt makes me smile, as it's a relatively unusual note in perfumery, & always reminds me of the rhubarb my dad used to grow in the garden when l was a child. lt's supported here by a crisp, green note of galbanum, which doesn't become too sharp or strident as it sometimes does on my skin. There's spearmint here too, & a faint rubber/vinyl note, & then twenty minutes in l begin to detect a creamy gardenia beneath it all. After an hour the gardenia takes centre stage, & it's wonderfully realistic, projecting very nicely. A little later, the gardenia is joined by an ozonic/marine note, & three hours in there's a sweeter fruity aspect.

l've had this on for four hours now & it's settled very close to the skin, but l dabbed it rather than spraying, as l wasn't sure if l'd like it. l'll need to try spraying it to see if that improves the longevity, but l think this would be a lovely fragrance for spring or early summer. Rather than clashing, l think these notes work very well together, the green notes adding a cooling effect to what can sometimes be a rather cloying floral when the heat is on. Thumbs up!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Finally tested after certain postponing Versace Eros Flame.

To my surprise regrading a hyped popular choice, its is a fairly inoffensive sweet gourmand with extremely good/near outstanding performance and longevity.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Working my way through Chanel Exclusifs yesterday I gave a full wearing to Bel Respiro.

I had tried it at the store before and I loved the punchy green opening but thought it disappeared quickly after that. Now that I've been able to give it a full wear, I found it has a lovely warm creamy iris/floral/amber dry down that smells almost exactly like No. 18! Quite nice, but since I have No. 18 and I find the green opening only last a few minutes I think I would find this redundant.

I have to agree with something I saw on Super Dacob's channel (THE Chanel enthusiast), that No. 18 is the "key" to the Exclusifs collection. No. 18 is like the Chanel-ade distilled and concentrated into a stand alone fragrance, I love it and find echoes of it in many of their fragrances. But weirdly I don't see ambrette listed in any other Chanel Exclusifs and it is the star ingredient of No. 18.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Very quick takes on a couple of samples I got since these aren't reviewed on Basenotes -

LM Parfums Radikal Lotus - Sort of a dark, floral creation. A dark rose, with hints of lotus, saffron, vanilla and patchouly. Sort of an introverted Black Orchid in terms of personality. Many women could find this too dark/masculine, and many men could find this too floral. It reminds me of some darker Montales but more refined, and something like Noir de Noir in terms of its vibes. Worth a try, can't comment much on sillage / duration, but they seem fine. I like it, can't say I love it, and I probably wouldn't wear this (because there are other dark florals I'd prefer). The lotus note is mostly in the beginning, but thereafter it moves more towards rose, saffron, vanilla, patchouli accord. Minimal sweetness, hint of a syrupy attribute.

LM Parfums Infidele - This is not very impressive. Sort of a second grade Carnal Flower with less tuberose and more coconut.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Le Musc La Peau 4.1 - Parfumerie Generale/Pierre Guillame

I got this sample in 2018. It still smells exactly like I recall. Very simple and easy to like. Somewhat edible and somewhat creamy smelling soap fragrance. I've not tried the 4.0 chocolate thing that seems more popular, and I'm not really interested in chocolate smells, but I think 4.1 smells more than enough creamy and edible to me. Gourmands isn't something I'm into anymore.

I might just buy this one. It's great. But great because it's simply so comfortable. A ton of white musks, some rosemary, some sweet tones like a hint of cinnamon or tonka bean, mild spiciness that occasional comes across as such or alternatively like the bitterness of soap. Slightly salty. It actually smells a lot like a somewhat ordinary liquid soap that costs 8 SEK (ICA Basic whatever, or some other liquid soap), but a lot better and with some subtle additions. Every wear it reminds me of the hot humid air inside a café, with the winter freezing air outside, but more the idea than the actual thing. It brings to mind the contrast between warm and cold.

Basically a glorified soap smell. Since I last wrote about this fragrance (saying it's probably a crowd-pleaser - whatever that means) there's at least 2 youtube videos mentioning it as a "panty-dropper" "sexy" etc I still think, without actually having worn it around people, if those labels fits a fragrance it's probably this one. It sits in that sort of L'eau d'hiver category of "pleasant smell", and even more so with this PG scent I could put it on any day without hesitation as it is a bit more straight-forward. (The scents I do tend to get compliments on are these more ordinary or lighter smelling things, on average, like L'eau d'hiver, Flash Back by Olfactive Studio....and that's about it... I don't really think loud gourmands or odd loud scents are that appealing to most, except to get oneself noticed.)

Previously I was concerned about the longevity and projection with this one, but I think with these sort of ingredients (tons of musks) it probably causes above average olfactive fatigue. Projects well-enough for the first hour anyway, but it is rather subtle. Might be my 3rd workhouse/everyday fragrance alongside Flash Back and Volutes EDP.

Final words to describe it: cozy and clean.

Blog Entries

Santal Basmati by Affinessence:

Toasted rice & sandalwood are the introduction to this sweet & comforting fragrance. Patchouli & iris are also detectable here, but seemingly only in a supporting role; the former to enhance the woodiness, the latter to smooth them out. The rice impression dissipates after thirty minutes along with the fuzzy texture, leaving a smooth, buttery sandalwood which slowly fades. The projection is low to moderate, it's very close to the skin after eight hours, but it lasts a good fourteen hours before fading entirely.

The rice note makes this one deliciously different from other sandalwood fragrances. lf only it lasted longer, because what remains after that first half hour, while pleasant, does not distinguish this from other sandalwoods that l enjoy far more.