Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How many bottles is too many?

How many bottles is too many? To the point whereby it takes a lot of space and starts to look like hoarding?! Haha

I now have 35 and will not be getting anymore. 1 in 1 out policy from now on..

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How many bottles is too many?

Haven't gotten there yet.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have no rule of limits my back up bottles have reached ridiculous amounts hahahahaha. I feel a comfortable amount of fragrances to choose from is 50-60 since there is so many excellent fragrances to enjoy.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Mine vary, between 50 and 80 pieces. But it's high time I stopped. Anyway, I can't spend them all, and over time their qualities change. Some of them are straight for the garbage, they just spoil.

Basenotes Institution

When you can no longer afford to purchase them.

Blog Entries

I think the real problems arise when people collect a lot of junk. Designer duds, clones/substitutes, overhyped cheapies by Antonio Banderas.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by rmm.0811 View Post
    How many bottles is too many? To the point whereby it takes a lot of space and starts to look like hoarding?! Haha

Well, good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I think the real problems arise when people collect a lot of junk. Designer duds, clones/substitutes, overhyped cheapies by Antonio Banderas.
    This is a valid point. This might demand some character but it is important.

All Is Beautiful

My collection is, I feel, for me anyway, amazing, and I plan to just continue.

Probably north of 500 bottles and 200 attars. And love most of them.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

50 is a good number that have failed miserably to keep to
    Currently selling:

New, sealed MFK Aqua Celestia, Squid, Journey Man http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442795-Sale-Time

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by rmm.0811 View Post

35 is about that number for me too. It has to do with how much space they take up in my cabinet and in my head. But I have a lot of extra storage space, and usually just put extra bottles in a box in a closet instead of actually getting rid of them. Once in while I throw a few out.

I wish I had fewer bottles. My collection just edged north of 50.

Not sure what to ditch, though. I do wear all of the ones I have. Some of them are getting low and will not be replaced.

I've gravitated towards buying 30 ml/1 oz bottles when possible. I don't need 100 ml of most things.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Everyone has their own number. Whatever fits your budget and income, and also taking into account how much space you have. I have a big house, lots of storage. But I don't really see myself climbing too far above 100. I could go up to 200 or more if I wanted but for me, that is way too much.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I think it’s a different number for everyone. Time, space and money will play a factor for most.

I usually keep around 35-40 as a good easy to access number in rotation. There are many I just don’t reach for in certain seasons as the weather cools or warms so once in a while I’ll swap out a handful for some others and it keeps things fresh. If I have more than 40 out it can feel like a task to choose what to wear.

If it starts to have a negative effect on your dosh, space at home or it sucks too much of your attention from things that are more important to you take a step back and reassess.

The fragrance community can be a bit like Hotel California -
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!
    <cue epic guitar solo>
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I've said this a few times but I suppose 'less is more' is my approach - not to sampling, which I think is integral to finding a small collection, but to owning and wearing full bottles.

My current thinking is that 4 is the magic number.

You can split it a number of ways

- In to seasons; so generally speaking one each for Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter
    - In to weather situations; Very Hot, Very Cold, 'Neutral', Unsure/Changing
    - In to situations or occasions; Work, Day to Day i.e. 'Dumb' or Casual, Date/Romantic, Formal/Special Event
    - In to 'tones' or colours; Green, Yellow, Brown, Blue (or perhaps Red)
    - ...and perhaps that idea might be better expressed by prominent notes; Herbs/Ferns/Conifers, Citruses and Soaps, Leathers/Woods/Tobaccos/Balsams, Fruity/Sporty/Ambroxan (Spice for Red)
    - In to more typical genres; Fougere, Citrus Aromatic, Oriental, Aquatic (others are also available of course)
    - In to 'eras'; Old School/Vintage; The recent past i.e. scent of your youth/coming of age; Modern/Contemporary and/or Youthful; Ambiguous and perhaps Otherworldly/Timeless
    - In to 'functions'; Inoffensive/Clean/Safe; Versatile; Unambiguously Masculine (or going to other way, Gender Bending/Feminine); 'Sexy' or Mass Pleasing
    - In to performance; Loud Projection; Very soft projection/short longevity; Soft projection, good longevity; Middling or Average for both performance and longevity.
    - In to price: 1x Very cheap; 2x Median Price for your budget ; 1x Expensive
    - ...and following on from that different market options: Cheapie; Discounted Designer; Full Price/Current Designer; Niche/Luxury/Boutique

Generally speaking, I believe it's possible to find 4 fragrances that slot in to most of these different needs...it just takes time and leaves very little room for tolerating weaknesses and/or failings in a fragrance. It also requires one to be somewhat hard-headed and honest and really judge fragrance on several key metrics, including wearability, versatility, and how much you really like/love it (and if it truly suits you).

I think 4 is where you can gain the most enjoyment while still retaining a sense of 'signature' smells. You also have options and versatility, as evidenced above, without giving in to overconsumption and the stress and option paralysis (as well as monetary expenditure and clutter) that comes with that.

I think 3 would be a similarly good number to aim for. You could split it down further and for the most part quite easily: say, for instance, weather would be hot/cold/in between; occasions would be work/not work/special event etc.

Having said all of that I'm on my way to either 5 or 6 bottles. Which...yeah. Maybe over time I will convince myself I can live with 4 but I think I'm just going to miss my own target by virtue of the fact that I can't let go of Aventus. That said, by and large I think 4 is the sweet spot. Anything 10 and over is getting in to something that stresses me out and I'd see it more as collecting and something 'more' or at least different to the way I approach fragrance. That sort of approach seems common on here and elsewhere online but I just don't get the 'feeling' or any sense of emotional or spiritual harmony to having so many different aromas. I couldn't and can't do it, it has felt like aromatic cross dressing and distinctly awkward. 4 is ideal, even if (at present) I'm just over the mark (I currently have 4 full bottles but am on the search for one day to day/casual fragrance, and possibly an Eau de Cologne that is a step up on 4711 or aftershave. So maybe it's, technically speaking, 5...if I ever find the final scent).
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

you say '1 in 1 out' are you going to wait until one is finished before buying again? That requires a lot of patience and self-discipline if you have 35 to start with.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The fragrance community can be a bit like Hotel California -
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!
    <cue epic guitar solo>
    On a dark desert highway,
    Cool wind in my hair.
    Warm smell of POLO,
    Rising up through the air.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I have 160+ and as long as I'm able to get them at the prices I do, the sky is the limit.

https://www.fragrantica.com/member/708195
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post

On a dark desert highway,
    Cool wind in my hair.
    Warm smell of POLO,
    Rising up through the air.
    Exactly

And still those fragheads are calling from far away.

Dependent

If you love them all, then there's never too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    you say '1 in 1 out' are you going to wait until one is finished before buying again? That requires a lot of patience and self-discipline if you have 35 to start with.
    That would never work for me, because of batch tolerances and reformulations.
    If I find a really good batch of a fragrance that I enjoy I immediately buy a couple of backups of exact that batch.
    For me there is just no way around it.

I stay with my first post - 30 different fragrances is a good amount. 20 would be hard for me to do.
    If we're talking the pure amount of bottles then the number is way, way higher (with all the backup bottles included).

Sounds like I'm about average - I find a wardrobe in the vicinity of 40 a comfortable. amount.

Basenotes Junkie

......when looking at your collection at a glance you don't recognize that the girl that just left your place stole two of your bottles.

As much as your gut and/or feel tells you. I ain't stoppin' yet

I wanted to stop adding to my collection and was doing well until lock down went I went mad and have added about 30-40 bottles to my collection. I probably have about 100 opened fragrances and 300 sealed / back up / collectables. I need to start selling but can't bring myself to.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    I wanted to stop...
    I need to start selling but can't...
    I think it would be best if you proactively look in to how to manage fragrance 'addiction'. I don't believe you're addicted in the true sense, I don't anyone really is as fragrance itself doesn't produce to physiological response of a 'true' addiction, but that doesn't mean you're not in a cycle of neurologically rewarding buying and collecting and all the rest of it.

If you recognise there is a problem and find it difficult to stop I would look at the addiction page (or something similarly titled) over on fragrantica and just start following the guidelines. It will necessarily bring you immediate discomfort but the long term gains will be worth it.

This is also why I encourage a small number, focusing on 4. If you follow the 'see where it goes' or 'just buy what you like' mantra, we are designed to crave and search and 'collect' (consume and purchase) more and more and more and...I've yet to see anyone really curtail that number in a way that isn't dictated by what they earn and/or living space (and situation i.e. a spouse to contend with) unless explicitly stating they are aiming for a number (usually small) and sticking to it. The 'see what happens' attitude is a recipe for this sort of collecting, possibly hoarding, and unfulfillment (an unfulfillment that is recognised as such yet is deemed too difficult to amend).

Almost certainly there is an emotional and/or boredom issue at the heart of collecting in this manner.

I wish you all the best in addressing what you've said is a "need" as well as a "want". Hopefully other people who have personal testimony on this in a manner that has worked can help you. At a push, I would say the best thing to start doing is stop using internet fora and get away from auction and/or discounter sites in general. Replace the time and 'pleasure' spent on those in something else: not easy in lockdown, admittedly, but hopefully not an impossible thing to start doing now.

Best of luck.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I wish I had fewer bottles. My collection just edged north of 50.

Not sure what to ditch, though. I do wear all of the ones I have. Some of them are getting low and will not be replaced.

I've gravitated towards buying 30 ml/1 oz bottles when possible. I don't need 100 ml of most things.
    I've been going in that direction myself as my collection is edging close to 200 bottles.

Are there any other hobbies where questions like this come up so often?

I'm right around 15 but could quite honestly be content with 6: Nicolai NYI, Azzaro Pour Homme, Aventus, GIT, Royal Oud, and Beau de Jour. Novelty is the main culprit for quite a few of us, not collecting.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post
    Are there any other hobbies where questions like this come up so often?
    Shoes and t-shirts, for sure. Legos, I believe. Non-rookie baseball cards. Coins that aren't rare? Now I'm just guessing.