Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water: Similarities & Differences for Fans of Both

I think someone’s looking at me...I’m not gonna say who all I can say is, I’ve done my utmost to keep the peace and I tend to let sleeping dogs lay. Kicking up the Aluminium/Antiperspirant/Alzheimer’s debate crossthread feels a bit below the belt. Benefit of the doubt this time, I’ll bite my tongue but I’m no Hilary Swank.
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water: Similarities & Differences for Fans of Both

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I think someone’s looking at me...I’m not gonna say who all I can say is, I’ve done my utmost to keep the peace and I tend to let sleeping dogs lay. Kicking up the Aluminium/Antiperspirant/Alzheimer’s debate crossthread feels a bit below the belt. Benefit of the doubt this time, I’ll bite my tongue but I’m no Hilary Swank.
    Silly goose. You're not one of the wall-o-texters I was referring to. Your posts tend to be coherent at any length regardless. I'm not here to shame anyone, just pointing out that length of posts is irrelevant when the content is good, unless the reader is in a hurry, in which case cruising Basenotes is probably a bad idea anyway (big time sink let me tell you)!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Silly goose. You're not one of the wall-o-texters I was referring to. Your posts tend to be coherent at any length regardless. I'm not here to shame anyone, just pointing out that length of posts is irrelevant when the content is good, unless the reader is in a hurry, in which case cruising Basenotes is probably a bad idea anyway (big time sink let me tell you)!
    I get you. If you want to avoid a timesink, piece of advice - don’t watch the Clash of the Titans remake. 2 hours of your life you’ll never get back!
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I get you. If you want to avoid a timesink, piece of advice - don’t watch the Clash of the Titans remake. 2 hours of your life you’ll never get back!
    Creed fans vs Roja Dove fans vs Areej le Dore fans vs Vintage Forum is the Basesnotes version of that

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Cool Water use to be such a good fragrance. Very unique at the time, hard as it is to believe. The notes are still there in the current stuff but it's just too harsh and synthetic now.
    The new stuff is so cheap. Shame on coty who makes millions off this fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Creed fans vs Roja Dove fans vs Areej le Dore fans vs Vintage Forum is the Basesnotes version of that
    Huh? You missed out the Aventus sub-forum! That's like a whole empire there

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty impressionable to marketing and presentation.

Cool Water feels young and fresh, yet has a strong synthetic ingredient in there (starts with a "d") that adds some weight to it that either gives the impression of being bold or annoying. This always smelled modern and cutting edge to me. I can't disassociate this scent from images of blue water.

Green Irish Tweed smells fresh too, but based on the name, and description, and it having a different kind of weight to it, I think of a dark forest. It smells less chemical, which gives it a more grown up vibe to it. At first this was a pricey Cool Water clone, but now I see what all the hype is about. I'd like to have it my collection but I'm not paying $300 and up for it.

Now that I mention it, I might have to cop a bottle of Cool Water though. Yeah, I wore it during my awkward early teen years, but then again, it was my first ever bottle of cologne and I was pretty excited to have it at the time. I'm tempted to get a bottle now. Only problem is that my first bottle went seriously bad after 5 years, and the last time I sampled the reformulation at Marshall's, that bottle had turned as well. And I don't want to pay retail just to take a stroll down memory lane with a bottle devoid of oakmoss.

But both of these are pretty rad fragrances in their own way.

Banned

I had and wore Cool Water for a while until I grew tired of it (see also Bowling Green). Only tried GIT once and it immediately reminded me of Cool Water (yes, better quality, etc) and I regretted having sprayed it on as I was on my way to a party and it wasn't a 90s revival one, or a football hooligan/skinhead gathering, or an ex-con convention. The Aventus on my other arm was more pleasant but I mainly could smell Creed's Cool Water. I sold other fragrances that were too Cool Watery as well. I remember an Ungaro and something else, some cheapie. All of them may have smelled slightly less like CW (chemical warfare) but still too much like Cool Water.

If you for some reason still like the Cool Water style, GIT is probably a good, expensive option but most people will simply think that someone (still) wears Cool Water. Considering that it's 2020 and many better scents have been released since the Cool Water era, it's almost a political statement, even though for most it's probably just nostalgia (see Eternity, Obsession and other such 90s teenage favourites).

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Huh? You missed out the Aventus sub-forum! That's like a whole empire there
    It's the Thunderdome: two batch codes enter, one batch code leaves.

Nerf Herder

Cool Water is big, watery, airy, angular but not jagged. Synthetic but smooth. There is minty coolness with a non-specific citrus impression that isn’t citrus. Coriander, transparent sandalwood, oakmoss, 80s style amber, calone, DHM, hints of tobacco, iris (but not the Dior Homme lipstick) a clear scooped version. It wears great in the heat and will be noticed.

I have to mention briefly what I’ve described is from a Lancaster bottle as someone smelling the newer stuff won’t get much of this. This version shows Bourdon’s genius. He has managed to tie together many rough synthetic elements and get them to work together just right. In the newer stuff many of the notes and much of the nuance are gone so you are just left with a synthetic mess of Calone, DHM and a bit of sandalwood. And it’s thin. And rough. And shrill. But I digress....That is all to say old CW and new CW are very different and my comparison to GIT is with the older stuff.

Green Irish Tweed is also a great fragrance with a shift of emphasis from water to land. It’s grassy but retains the fresh breeze notes along with some nice clean musks, the Creed signature ambergris accord including some sandalwood, iris and violet leaf. They are both also crowdpleasers but that’s not surprising when you smell them.

There are enough similarities between GIT and CW that in the open air one might momentarily think one is the other but in any confined space there will be no confusion.

I enjoy both fragrances immensely; they are easygoing, smell great and last a fair while. GIT lasts on clothes for days but Cool Water pips GIT for the fun factor
    Thanks for the description of Lancaster Cool Water. I've only tried the current stuff, which ultimately still does the job on a hot day, but doesn't at all match up to Bourdon's other work. Given it's pretty well removed from what he created, that makes a lot of sense.

Not too much to add... I really enjoyed the description of GIT as somewhat blunt and dull. Despite the presence of sharp notes like verbena, peppermint and violet and the "green" association of the name, it doesn't come off as a bright or vivid green in it's character. There's definitely a certain dull greyness blended to the green that delivers its buttoned down, proper finish. I'm guessing what my brain perceives as grey is a combination of the dihydromyrcenol and dry sandalwood, with maybe a touch of the ambergris accord. I haven't smelled enough ambergris outside of Creed's accord to quite know how I perceive it... I'd need to explore more.

Good thread ZC. I have a pretty special place in my heart for both of these. The first daily driver I bought for myself followed by the first niche fragrance I picked up for myself (and the one that got me to start collecting).
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde