Code of Conduct

Default Anyone want to help take down an eBay scammer?

Please report this person's listings for counterfeit items, if you have time (there's a report item link on each listing they have)
    All of them are fakes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Initio-Parf...MAAOSw18xfOju5

The person's account name on eBay is "luiz708" and all their counterfeit items ship direct from Russia

They're even using the tactic of listing "last one available" in many cases, to make people want to buy it even more..."time is running out, you're going to miss out on this epic deal!" kinda thing--ugh!
    Last edited by surge; 10th September 2020 at 02:03 AM.

Default Re: Anyone want to help take down an eBay scammer?

have never seen MDCI being faked, have you bought from them before?

crazy to think how many people are giving good reviews if they really are fake
    Selling decants to CONUS, Tom Ford, Creed, MFK, and more!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/478...-Lush-and-more

Did you receive a fake from this seller? How do you know they're fake? Many of these scents are ones I've never heard of being counterfeited before.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    have never seen MDCI being faked, have you bought from them before?

crazy to think how many people are giving good reviews if they really are fake
    They are faking a lot of higher end Niche brands now (see the Initio listing in the OP) and yeah, I am pretty familiar with their network, I ended up getting scammed by someone associated with them two years ago, there was a thread about it here actually (search for "LuxuryOfPerfume") have been watching for their listings ever since, and all those feedbacks are from bots and people who don't know they're being ripped off, unfortunately.

You have to look closely, the folks in China actually making this stuff are getting seriously great at it these days.

Here's a legit bottle of that same scent:

https://www.ebay.com/i/402257623404?...waAkXxEALw_wcB

You can notice a few things by examining them in detail:

1.) The legit bottle has a distinctive pattern on the bottom, along with a batch code
    2.) The fake listing has two different bottom pictures (lol, that's just sloppiness on their part), one with a batch code, and one without any batch code at all -- and neither of them have the proper pattern
    3.) The fake listing has the label coming off on the whole left side, while the right side is adhered to the side properly
    4.) If their eBay account says they're in the USA, but the item ships from Russia or Ukraine, there's a 99% chance it's counterfeit
    5.) They also have a tendency to market "testers" -- hoping that we'll overlook stuff like the above, and chalk it up to it being specific to tester bottles -- these folks are diabolical!

Here's a good article written on the subject that is specific to Russian & Ukrainian scammers https://www.fragrantica.com/news/How...mes-11278.html

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

As I buy my fragrances from authorized dealers, not a problem for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Best way to know for sure that you're getting something authentic, without a doubt.
    Thankfully though, there are ways to get your money back if you're confident you've been scammed via eBay
    If you purchased from somewhere else, like a website such as the now defunct LuxuryOfPerfumes, you can always go to your financial institution and ask for a chargeback, and say the item was not as described -- I'd also recommend looking up who they are using for payments, and filing a complaint with their merchant services company

Missing Oakmoss

The "last one available" thing is a ploy several sellers use. People need to do their due diligence. Personally, I wouldn't report anyone unless I'd been the one duped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    The "last one available" thing is a ploy several sellers use. People need to do their due diligence. Personally, I wouldn't report anyone unless I'd been the one duped.
    That is true, but this guy is fake for absolute certainty. I found a buddy who has this exact scent, and he pointed out a ton of inconsistencies with the bottle and labeling that even I missed myself.

The label is very thick compared to authentic retail bottles, the font tracking (spacing) at the bottom is too far apart, also the sticker paper on the bottom is a different kind of paper, it's too thick, and has raised edges.

I think I'm going to take some time and write up a medium post about this, just so the community at large can be made aware that even smaller and independent niche houses are getting their scents pirated...for the longest time it just seemed like they were immune to this kind of thing...but not anymore.

Basenotes Plus

One can't report a scam to Ebay if one did not purchase. I do not think you will get any volunteers!

This seller has fooled almost 1,500 people with fake fragrances??? That seems unlikely to me

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    This seller has fooled almost 1,500 people with fake fragrances??? That seems unlikely to me
    Actually that is not hard. Have seen this a few times in vintage fragrances. Filling bottle with other fragrances and then saying sorry and refunding. So no negative reviews.
    Folks with 2000+ ratings.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Either this or know exactly how what you are buying smells like so you can return.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Actually that is not hard. Have seen this a few times in vintage fragrances. Filling bottle with other fragrances and then saying sorry and refunding. So no negative reviews.
    Folks with 2000+ ratings.
    Some years ago I bought a fake from a Russian seller on eBay that had around a thousand reviews, all positive. When I contacted him and told him the bottle was counterfeit, he said he would refund my money, no questions asked, I didn't even have to send the bottle back... as long as I didn't leave negative feedback. So that explains, at least partly, why these sellers have overwhelmingly positive feedback. As a result of this experience, positive feedback on eBay no longer means anything to me.

I reported at least 5-10 perfumes over the past year on eBay without buying them (bottle shape and font were clearly different and I know them enough to tell a fake with my eyes closed), not even one was ever removed, so I stopped doing it. I don't think eBay cares about it at all. All they care about is to get their % of the transaction, the rest is not their headache.
    Contacting sellers sometimes was more effective, but it worked only with sellers that didn't specialize in fragrances and listed copies as originals (like "Our version of Lolita Lempicka" was listed as actual Lolita Lempicka), so it's a bit different story. Russian fakes are hard to prove or impossible even, if the original bottles are filled with something else. As much as I like eBay, I don't buy niche there, unless maybe from a seller-perfume collector I bought from in the past and know for sure they are not reselling in large quantities, but simply selling individual bottles from their own collection.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Woman by Amouage

If we spend all our time reporting scammers, we'd not get anything else done. Pretty annoying. It's hard to regulate. I'm not on ebay enough so I have no idea how they can do a better job, but a lot of it just looks blatant to me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Ever since Ebay started charging sales tax, I've preferred buying by frags from sellers here. You have to be more patient but.. usually you can find what you're looking for if you wait long enough.

But of all the frags I've purchased over the ~three years since I really got bit by this bug, the ONE fake I got was from a seller here. I've been fine on ebay and I've bought vintage Chanels, I've bought Creeds, Amouages, Tauers, Parfums De Marlys, by Kilians, YSLs, etc. Not a single fake.