Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: What is the one fragrance that, if given the chance, you'd force other fragheads to try?

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    New York has no similarities to GIT. Nor does New York Intense.
    Really want to try these.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What is the one fragrance that, if given the chance, you'd force other fragheads to try?

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I bought mignons of almost everything, save those based on gourmand notes. I still need to wear them more to assess them, but I haven’t disliked any, and my wife disliked only one (which I won’t name, because I don’t think that dislike is widely predictive). Other ones that have stuck in my head are the Oud Caravan series (loved all three) and Hindu Kush.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Thanks for the helpful response. ��

Have you tried anything from the Amber series? I have my eyes on Amber Oud as I love amber and love oud. Also Oakmoss and something from the Oud Caravan series. Any thoughts on those?

One concern I have about all LVdP fragrances is performance. I don't expect or want "beast mode", especially in a natural perfume, but even compared to other natural perfumes, Mecca Balsam performed very poorly. I hope that I am mistaken but I don't think the concentration of pure fragrance in their perfumes is more than about 5%. How do you judge the house's performance?

Thanks!
    I did mention the Oud Caravans (see above). While I think all three are FB-worthy, that doesn't mean most buyers would want all three. Rather, I'd suggest getting three mignons and then ordering the FB or whichever one(s) you like best. Caveat: I'm not an oud expert by any means, so your mileage may vary.

Speaking of oud, I haven't worn Amber Oud yet, so I can't comment. I did like Oakmoss, though.

Regarding performance, and keeping in mind that I had gauged my expectations to what I felt was realistic for an all-natural house, I don't recall being disappointed in sillage/projection, though longevity was sometimes less than I might have hoped. Alas, it's been long enough since I plowed through my Abdes Salaams (and I haven't kept notes, more fool me) that I can't offer performance assessments for specific fragrances. I really need to revisit them!

Ultimately, I think two hours of magic is worth more than ten hours of tedium, so I accept the trade-off. Some people seem not to care what a fragrance smells like so long as it's loud and persistent: they should look elsewhere (and stand far away from me).

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    New York has no similarities to GIT. Nor does New York Intense.

Cool Water, however, is similar and very inexpensive. Same perfumer (Pierre Bourdon) too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh thanks! I actually love Davidoff Cool Water!
    Umm..the way i phrased my question was sort of confusing actually...I wasn't asking about Green Irish Tweed (although it's good to know there is a much less expensive alternative! And..maybe that explains why I like Green Irish Tweed so much..I always loved Cool Water too! )

I was actually asking Jon Rodgers or RedRaider or anyone else who knows..about what Aubpine and Acacia by Creed smells like, and if there are any less expensive alternatives to that one! I checked on the Perfumed Court to see if I could get decants or anything, but it looks like maybe Aubpine and Acacia isn't available anymore. Either that, or it's just hard to get ahold of. In any case..yeah, I couldn't get samples! That's why I'm asking if I can have less expensive alternatives (that are maybe kind of similar) suggested. (I guess I'm not having this forced on me if I'm asking about it so much )

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    I was actually asking Jon Rodgers or RedRaider or anyone else who knows..about what Aubpine and Acacia by Creed smells like, and if there are any less expensive alternatives to that one! I checked on the Perfumed Court to see if I could get decants or anything, but it looks like maybe Aubpine and Acacia isn't available anymore. Either that, or it's just hard to get ahold of. In any case..yeah, I couldn't get samples!
    I'm wearing Aubépine-Acacia now, but I don't know what to recommend as a substitute. The citrus/pine top notes, abetted by galbanum, impart a zingy aromatic freshness, carried into the heart by the titular bitter Aubépine (hawthorn) and citrusy-sweet Acacia (or mimosa as a stand-in), along with a bit of grassy hay, all atop what I gather is the signature Creed "ambergris" base. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but not enough to pay the going rate. There must be any number of aromatic citrus fragrances that would get you in the ballpark, but if you want something closer to the target, perhaps N.Cal has a suggestion, as he wears A-A regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    For the past 5 years, whenever I've done a swap with any Basenoters, I've included a carded house sample of the original Bottega Veneta EDP pour femme -- with a note saying "For your wife/girlfriend" if it was sent to a male. It's by far my favorite feminine perfume released in the past 15 years. I always describe it as "the granddaughter of Jolie Madame" because of its modernized leather laid over violets and a restrained plum.

Never once in all those mailouts have I ever gotten any feedback from a male recipient. Women, yes; men, no.

Also in the category of Shouting Into the Void: the new EDT version of Rochas Moustache ("Original 1949"), which I really like.

Well I'm partly in the clear having done no swap with you..... What I'm wondering, did you ever intend any male to try this or just to pass it on? Am a big fan of BV PH and PH extreme but don't recall any males ever commenting on the PF version..... (Even reading the later in post where livejazz tried still not sure if that was just to get his opinion, or whether actually recommending for male use also.....) Not really wrapped up in the labels and definitely see other "feminines" recommended here, but this would be a new one if that's the case....
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    I was actually asking Jon Rodgers or RedRaider or anyone else who knows..about what Aubpine and Acacia by Creed smells like, and if there are any less expensive alternatives to that one! I checked on the Perfumed Court to see if I could get decants or anything, but it looks like maybe Aubpine and Acacia isn't available anymore. Either that, or it's just hard to get ahold of. In any case..yeah, I couldn't get samples! That's why I'm asking if I can have less expensive alternatives (that are maybe kind of similar) suggested. (I guess I'm not having this forced on me if I'm asking about it so much )
    No, Aubépine-Acacia is long discontinued. About the only place to get it now would probably be eBay. It rarely appears on there, although there are currently a couple of listings (one of which doesn't look very trustworthy). And as far as someone thinking it's similar to Nicolai's New York Intense, I have no idea what they might be smelling. Those two fragrances are not in the least bit similar.

I have only sampled Aubépine-Acacia. From my memory, I just remember it as an appealing citrusy, green, and somewhat herbal scent. Some describe it as floral, while others use the words soapy or powdery. As PStoller said, N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer is probably the one to ask about this fragrance because it's one of his favorites.

Other than that, have a look at the reviews here on Basenotes to get a good idea of the notes and what it's like. https://www.basenotes.net/ID10210916.html

One thing I noticed is that out of 21 reviews, 19 of them are "thumbs up," which is a relatively high rate for Basenotes.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    No, Aubépine-Acacia is long discontinued. About the only place to get it now would probably be eBay. It rarely appears on there, although there are currently a couple of listings (one of which doesn't look very trustworthy). And as far as someone thinking it's similar to Nicolai's New York Intense, I have no idea what they might be smelling. Those two fragrances are not in the least bit similar.

I have only sampled Aubépine-Acacia. From my memory, I just remember it as an appealing citrusy, green, and somewhat herbal scent. Some describe it as floral, while others use the words soapy or powdery. As PStoller said, N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer is probably the one to ask about this fragrance because it's one of his favorites.

Other than that, have a look at the reviews here on Basenotes to get a good idea of the notes and what it's like. https://www.basenotes.net/ID10210916.html

One thing I noticed is that out of 21 reviews, 19 of them are "thumbs up," which is a relatively high rate for Basenotes.
    N.Cal hosted a sample pass last year that I got to participate in. He shared samples of his A-A stash. These were my notes on it:

Opens very pleasantly with soft lemon, galbanum and bergamot. Beautiful opening. Pine and lemon is risky because...pine-sol. But I get very little pine here. There is a bright green that enters but not as sharp as in Fougere L'aube from Rogue Perfumery. This stage reminds me of Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017. A bit of hawthorn sweetness balances the tart galbanum in the mid-period. It's almost berry like. Very fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

I would like everyone to try a simple single note of natural perfume fragrance ingredient so when they are smelling say lavender listed in a perfume they actually know what real lavender smells like- not Swiffer wet jet or or fabreez lavender which is more and more being presented to the person removed from nature. How can people know what “notes” are never having smelled real black currant, vetiver, Rose etc...but in their department store where they get their candles and rug deodorizer. By smelling one real one...once...and knowing the difference-You’ll always know a high quality perfume

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Moth by Zoologist. It's not for everyone but it's unique and fantastic and worth trying.
    Yay!Totally agree, love it to bits!
    Currently wearing: Opus III by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Same here, but I would hope others would have a chance to try the Absolute Oils by Clive Christian especially Absolute Sandalwood and Osmanthus Oil.
    Thanks for this mention hednic; I will look for this product. Osmanthus is one of my favorite scents.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4