Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What is the one fragrance that, if given the chance, you'd force other fragheads to try?

I bet most Basenoters have a fragrance we cherish that isn't well known by the rest of the community.

What's that one special fragrance that, given the opportunity, you'd force your fellow Basenoters to sample?

(I'll reveal mine in time, but those of you who know my post history here might be able to take a good guess at which scent I'd choose.)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What is the one fragrance that, if given the chance, you'd force other fragheads to try?

ROJA (Haute Luxe) by Roja Dove. I think it’s one that every fraghead should try at least once in a lifetime.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What is the one fragrance that, if given the chance, you'd force other fragheads to try?

For the past 5 years, whenever I've done a swap with any Basenoters, I've included a carded house sample of the original Bottega Veneta EDP pour femme -- with a note saying "For your wife/girlfriend" if it was sent to a male. It's by far my favorite feminine perfume released in the past 15 years. I always describe it as "the granddaughter of Jolie Madame" because of its modernized leather laid over violets and a restrained plum.

Never once in all those mailouts have I ever gotten any feedback from a male recipient. Women, yes; men, no.

Also in the category of Shouting Into the Void: the new EDT version of Rochas Moustache ("Original 1949"), which I really like.

I’d say Straight to Heaven.

A gourmand even gourmand haters can enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Would unlikely force anyone else to try any fragrance even if theoretically having the power to do so unscathed/unproblematic.
    Would still enjoy and feel honored if more fragheads that do not know these yet would try Armani Eau pour Homme among designers, while quite a few timeless classic ones like Knize Ten, several Carons, a few ones like Opus 1870, Sartorial and more by Penhaligon's, the Parfums Capitaux series by Jovoy, the Blu Mediterraneo one by ADP and a few more along these lines.
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Would unlikely force anyone else to try any fragrance
    Same here, but I would hope others would have a chance to try the Absolute Oils by Clive Christian especially Absolute Sandalwood and Osmanthus Oil.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I wish I could "force" *some guys* to wear sexy fragrance period! XD
    I had at least one ex (who shall forever remain nameless) who I bought an Alfred Sung masculine fragrance for..I think it was called Paradise? And..I think it came in a green triangular bottle? Anyway..I picked it just because I thought it smelled really nice!
    He would never wear it! Like..not even in private, just at home, to make me happy!
    He didn't have a signature fragrance or anything either, so it's not like it was because he personally preferred something else! (Which, to me, would have been a perfectly valid excuse!) Now..I know that Alfred Sung scents aren't necessarily the most expensive or most fancy fragrances or anything like that (no offense meant.) But..I always just felt a tad insulted and slighted..like..he could have at least pretended to like it! People have bought me perfumes as gifts in the past, like "Charlie" by Revlon or "Chantilly"..aand..they're not nevessarily what I would have chosen! But..I always wore them anyway! Actually..in the case of Chantilly, I always receieved compliments when I wore it too..at least as a teenager I did! (Some people dislike when I wear it too because of how similar it is to Stetson, but that's another story.)

Givenchy Gentleman EDP (2018)

Not exactly under the radar, but I think everyone should try Tuscan Leather.

Moth by Zoologist. It's not for everyone but it's unique and fantastic and worth trying.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage
    Currently wearing: Myths Woman by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    (I'll reveal mine in time, but those of you who know my post history here might be able to take a good guess at which scent I'd choose.)
    My money is with Michael For Men

Creed Aubepine-Acacia.

https://www.basenotes.net/ID10210916.html

Basenotes Plus

Aurum d’Angkor by Sultan Pasha.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    My money is with Michael For Men
    You'd lose that bet!

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar in vintage extrait (but I’d encourage them to try everything Jacques Guerlain did, in that format)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Cèdre by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Plus

You'd lose that bet!

Dependent

Beyond Paradise Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    For the past 5 years, whenever I've done a swap with any Basenoters, I've included a carded house sample of the original Bottega Veneta EDP pour femme -- with a note saying "For your wife/girlfriend" if it was sent to a male. It's by far my favorite feminine perfume released in the past 15 years. I always describe it as "the granddaughter of Jolie Madame" because of its modernized leather laid over violets and a restrained plum.

Never once in all those mailouts have I ever gotten any feedback from a male recipient. Women, yes; men, no.
    If this was included in what you sent me (and is now sitting in my grab-bag of decants), I didn't reply because I already know and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Also in the category of Shouting Into the Void: the new EDT version of Rochas Moustache ("Original 1949"), which I really like.
    Kinda eager to try this.

I can't really think of one that many haven't tried. The Michael suggestion is pretty good. Since it's been gone so long, there are probably quite a few who never tried it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Today's SOTD, Oscar for Men by ODLR.
    Part sentimental (one if the first frags I ever tried at the big fancy stores when coming of age!)
    Still got it!
    Wonderful citrus and pepper opening, slight woody , slight floral, supported with musky base. Really popping off the skin today ( warm and sunny) . Keep smelling ya' wrists type of frag. Some similarities in overall aura when it dries off with Dunhill Edition, yet this feels much more fuller and rounded.
    Really like it!!

Tobacco Oud

Not because I think it’s the best, but definitely something I would want others to experience

I like spreading the word on classics that are currently done well. Equipage, Jules, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur edt, and Mitsouko come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I like spreading the word on classics that are currently done well. Equipage, Jules, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur edt, and Mitsouko come to mind.
    Good point here. Thinking about it more, I think I'd do the same. Folks should definitely try Eau Sauvage and Polo, especially in vintage form.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Humiecki & Graef Eau Radieuse
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Humiecki & Graef Eau Radieuse
    This sounds wild.

My pick:

FLORIS Leather Oud

IMG_20200815_092133_618.jpg

Runner-up: CASWELL-MASSEY Supernatural Number Six

This sounds wild.
    It is.

The only prerequisite is that you have to enjoy fresh fragrances on some level. If you’re strictly a leather, incense, castoreum type of dude, you’re not gonna like it (I mean “you” in the general sense, not YOU you). What’s cool about it is that it manages to smell super futuristic and “lab synthesized” without smelling “synthetic” in any of the bad kind of ways.

The entire Humiecki & Graef line was all very, very interesting. They were one of the most unique and quirky houses to emerge in the 21st century, but not in like a novelty way or anything hokey—they took themselves seriously. Unfortunately, I think their stuff was a little too avant garde and could sometimes be perceived as aloof, or hard to connect with. And some smelled downright strange.

Eau Radieuse, while not necessarily the jewel of the line, is the one that really resonates with me. I’d imagine anyone with an adventurous streak could find one or two that they really like. H&G are kind of like Slumberhouse but with a totally different aesthetic and completely different feel to their fragrances in terms of how they feel physically (weight, density, polish, blend, etc.)

It’s a shame they’re no longer making fragrances.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

If this was included in what you sent me (and is now sitting in my grab-bag of decants), I didn't reply because I already know and love it.
    Then you get a pass!

Black Tourmaline!

Profumum Roma Note di Profumum Meraviglia

I wouldn't want to force someone to try something that can be found at any of the approximately 50 bajillion Sephoras in the world. I'd choose Meraviglia because it's so beautiful and reminiscent of Rome for me and so hard to find. I know a few people here have tried it, but it deserves for more people to know it. I find this rose to be much better than Portrait of a Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

Seconded, quite an impressive selection of wonderful classics mentioned-there fragrances being so good, they would hardly need any force and/or other arguments aside from their already good quality to further and constantly gain more followers
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast