Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default What Descriptions/Comparisons in Fragrance Reviews Annoy You or Leave You Clueless?

Are there any descriptions or comparisons that you see frequently used that just leave you scratching your head or just straight up annoy you? Whether they’re just bizarre, uncommon, non-universal, or cliched, let’s hear it.

For me it’s mainly comparisons to other scented products that are only common in some markets - Yes, I’m calling out all US posters who use the following

Dryer sheets (I didn’t even know what this product is and had to Google its purpose, so there’s no way I know how it smells)

Irish Spring Soap (I guess this stands in for generic fresh soapiness for Americans, but no way for me to know how it smells)

Comet cleanser (I see you coming for my beloved Oud Wood, but I can’t even work myself up into a righteous, defensive rage because once again, NFI what it smells like).
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Default Re: What Descriptions/Comparisons in Fragrance Reviews Annoy You or Leave You Clueless?

"It smells like sex!" being used to describe a smell that is supposedly "sexy" (think: vanilla, etc.) instead of being used to describe the smell of human genitals and/or activities which involving them.

Default Re: What Descriptions/Comparisons in Fragrance Reviews Annoy You or Leave You Clueless?

Mine is more general, just "soap" or 'soapy". I just never think a fragrance smells like any soap and it seems to be extremely common as a description, especially "more soapy"!!!!

As to your items, I won't attempt to describe them except to say that Irish Spring is green in color and sometimes has clover on the box. I don't think it ever mentions any specific scent on the packaging.

I do have two of these items for sure, and maybe all three in the house. If you really want to know what they smell like pm your address and can send a box for fragrance education.... would go cheapest mail and might take a while but no expiration date on those items.....
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Comparisons to lemon-scented floor cleaners. Strange for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Comparisons to lemon-scented floor cleaners. Strange for me.
    Clearly you have never worn Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Intenso.

My top:
    1. Urinal cake (when used to describe anything with lemon and oakmoss notes),
    2. Old granny (my old granny, anything with a rose note),
    3. Baby powder or clean diaper (iris),
    4. Dirty diaper (oud),
    5. Play-Doh (vanilla).
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Describing every other designer release as smelling like Invictus. It's rarely true.

'Smells like lemon pledge' or 'lemon bathroom cleaner' ....etc. ad nauseam.

Reality check, lemon based fragrances existed before these products so it is more accurate to say 'lemon pledge/bathroom cleaner smells like ...(insert fragrance).
    These cleaning products are scented to smell nice and often inspired by popular scent profiles such as lemon/citrus etc.
    Not the other way around.
    I refuse to not like a scent just because some other product has a (usually very tenuous) similarity to it.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say so that fragrance type is obviously doing something right.

Also, 'synthetic'? I mean what's that all about? Please tell me that none of us are daft or gullible enough to think that all fragrances aren't synthetically achieved? Come on, wake up and smell the ISO.
    They are all riddled with aromachemicals and artificial ingredients so stop being such deluded snobs and accept that not everything you dislike is either synthetic (FFS) or trying to copy a toilet cleaner.

It makes me laugh when people winge about so called sythetic scents but then winge again when a (so called) natural scent has poor longevity and then complain about fragrance houses ripping us off etc. Muppets.

Ahahaha, I also had to google what dryer sheets and urinal cakes are!
    At first I thought urinal cakes are some kind of euphemism and they smell of actual urine! I still have no idea how exactly they smell except some kind of citrusy, but at least now I know it's a clean scent after all.

I also have no idea how diapers and Play-Doh smells. At least we do have them here, it's just that I don't have kids and I didn't have Play-Doh when I myself was a kid. Also doll heads. I don't remember my dolls smelling like something when I was a kid. Oh, and the Vics vapour rub, what is it?

I also don't know how real vanilla pod smells like and what is the smell of nag champa or "head shops" (I had to google that, too). Barber shop smell is also a total mystery to me, hair salons just smell of hairspray, shampoo and general freshness, I guess that's not it
    I am also confused when I see a note of orchid in the pyramid or when people talk about it - I love orchids and I have two, and my mom has a ton of them at home, none of them have any scent at all (except the greenness of the stem). Same goes for narcissus/daffodil/tulip. Love them all, no scent. Do they have more scent in other parts of the world?

These comparisons do not annoy me, but they definitely confuse me.
    I love creative and vivid comparisons though.

Quote Originally Posted by ihxb01 View Post
    My top:
    1. Urinal cake (when used to describe anything with lemon and oakmoss notes),
    2. Old granny (my old granny, anything with a rose note),
    3. Baby powder or clean diaper (iris),
    4. Dirty diaper (oud),
    5. Play-Doh (vanilla).
    this!

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

"Headshops"
    I didn't even know that was the term for all the stores in my area that sold pipes, bongs, and now legal weed. At most they smell like hookah. So yeah, any fragrance that has incense is going to smell like a store that sells incense sticks and hookah.

"Hippie patchouli smell"
    I didn't grow up in the 60s or 70s. But I never would have assumed that hippies smelled like cologne or perfume. I thought the stereotype was that they didn't bathe and smoked weed all day. I thought they'd smell like BO.

"Barbershop"
    I'm guilty of using the term myself. If it smells like shaving cream or Drakkar Noir I say it smells "barbershopy." But really, that term seems to cover so many different fragrances that in some cases it'd be better to just tell me, "x smells powdery and spicy." Pinauld Clubman for example is so much different from something like say, John Varvatos Artisan Acqua.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    "Hippie patchouli smell"
    I didn't grow up in the 60s or 70s. But I never would have assumed that hippies smelled like cologne or perfume. I thought the stereotype was that they didn't bathe and smoked weed all day. I thought they'd smell like BO.
    Hippies notoriously used neat patchouli oil to cover the smell of weed (& possibly BO), & it was much stronger/earthier than the patchouli used in modern fragrances. There was a brand called Spiritual Sky that was very popular, & sold in head shops! My eldest brother owned an Afghan coat that positively reeked of it.

Great thread, BTW! l might think of some answers of my own later....
    Last edited by teardrop; 16th September 2020 at 07:15 PM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Ahahaha, I also had to google what dryer sheets and urinal cakes are!
    At first I thought urinal cakes are some kind of euphemism and they smell of actual urine! I still have no idea how exactly they smell except some kind of citrusy, but at least now I know it's a clean scent after all.

I also have no idea how diapers and Play-Doh smells. At least we do have them here, it's just that I don't have kids and I didn't have Play-Doh when I myself was a kid. Also doll heads. I don't remember my dolls smelling like something when I was a kid. Oh, and the Vics vapour rub, what is it?

I also don't know how real vanilla pod smells like and what is the smell of nag champa or "head shops" (I had to google that, too). Barber shop smell is also a total mystery to me, hair salons just smell of hairspray, shampoo and general freshness, I guess that's not it
    I am also confused when I see a note of orchid in the pyramid or when people talk about it - I love orchids and I have two, and my mom has a ton of them at home, none of them have any scent at all (except the greenness of the stem). Same goes for narcissus/daffodil/tulip. Love them all, no scent. Do they have more scent in other parts of the world?

I share your frustration with the urinal cakes. Never really understood that one and I sometimes think the person referencing it isn't clear what they mean any way...the stand alone scent of the little puck, or a somewhat unappealing urinous scent.

But I'm going to stick up for barbershop. That term is here to stay. It's "barbershop," not hair salon. I normally only see this applied to male targeted scents. Almost any man in North America and in Europe has been at some point to a traditional barber. No hair washing, thinning scissors or blow dryers. A grumpy old guy who sits you in a big leather chair and hacks away at your hair with electric clippers and scissors for about 15 minutes.

The haircut (NOT styling) is generally finished with some aftershave and/or talcum powder on your neck where they shaved off errant hairs. That aftershave or talc in North America is usually Pinaud Clubman, which is a very distinctive fougere scent. Lavender and oakmoss are prominent. Pinaud has been around forever and is dirt cheap. Not sure how prominent it may be in Europe, but was (and is) a barbershop staple in North America. Rive Gauche Pour Homme added anise which gave it a smell similar to a cheap shaving cream often used by barbers.

So barbershop scents are usually lavender and oakmoss prominent fougeres that conjure for many men the scent of having visited an old school barber. Pinaud Clubman and Dana Canoe are two of the best known and used (because they're cheap.) Barbershop scents don't have to smell just like Clubman, just close enough to feel similar.

I'm not sure of their worldwide distribution, but would guess Pinaud Clubman is probably in Lithuania. If you really want to wrap your head around "barbershop," check a drugstore. It's about $6-7 US. Or check in a barbershop.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Metallic smell. What?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I share your frustration with the urinal cakes. Never really understood that one and I sometimes think the person referencing it isn't clear what they mean any way...the stand alone scent of the little puck, or a somewhat unappealing urinous scent.

But I'm going to stick up for barbershop. That term is here to stay. It's "barbershop," not hair salon. I normally only see this applied to male targeted scents. Almost any man in North America and in Europe has been at some point to a traditional barber. No hair washing, thinning scissors or blow dryers. A grumpy old guy who sits you in a big leather chair and hacks away at your hair with electric clippers and scissors for about 15 minutes.

The haircut (NOT styling) is generally finished with some aftershave and/or talcum powder on your neck where they shaved off errant hairs. That aftershave or talc in North America is usually Pinaud Clubman, which is a very distinctive fougere scent. Lavender and oakmoss are prominent. Pinaud has been around forever and is dirt cheap. Not sure how prominent it may be in Europe, but was (and is) a barbershop staple in North America. Rive Gauche Pour Homme added anise which gave it a smell similar to a cheap shaving cream often used by barbers.

So barbershop scents are usually lavender and oakmoss prominent fougeres that conjure for many men the scent of having visited an old school barber. Pinaud Clubman and Dana Canoe are two of the best known and used (because they're cheap.) Barbershop scents don't have to smell just like Clubman, just close enough to feel similar.

I'm not sure of their worldwide distribution, but would guess Pinaud Clubman is probably in Lithuania. If you really want to wrap your head around "barbershop," check a drugstore. It's about $6-7 US. Or check in a barbershop.
    I have never used the description myself, but I totally got it when people compared Kouros to the smell of a urinal cake. To answer your question, it is a mix of the "refreshing" smell the cake is suppose give and the actual urinal smell from the bathroom. I understood the description, but I guess I could wear Kouros anyway.

The barbershop smell is something I have learned how it is supposed to smell. It is nothing like what I might smell when I have been at the hairdresser in Sweden. No standard product here, more a contemporary scented hair product. I remember I thought that Dior Homme Intense smelled like when I've been at the hairdresser. Same with Black Orchid. I've had waxes smelling like Terre d'Hermes as well. I've never got slapped around with powder here. Unfortunately

Fecal smell.....WHAT?!!!!! if you smell this you need to see a doctor, seriously there is something wrong with you.

Think about it, lets look at three scenarios and consider which is the most likely...
    So, in a secret laboratory somewhere, perhaps France, they are working on a new top end designer (or more likely niche) fragrance and they either:-

A/ Without intending they introduce a note of human faeces into the mix. it's obviously disgusting but, despite noticing it and despite still having time to produce a new mix without it before it's released, they decide to leave it in anyway as, after all, people enjoy the smell of faeces......

or

B/ They deliberately introduce the note of human faeces into the mix as they think that it is a very pleasant smell and that the public will love it and buy it in the millions, making them rich beyond their wildest dreams....

or

C/ You have something wrong with you and need medical intervention fairly quickly. Perhaps your olfactory centre is damaged or perhaps you have something wrong with you that causes you to produce secretions that cause otherwise pleasant and fresh smells to resemble human waste. Or perhaps you have some faeces stuck up your nose, perhaps it got there from talking so much sh*t?

So, which one is the more likely?.......I'm opting for C

P.S. Just a bit of fun guys, I need to get out more......
    Last edited by Sloth; 14th September 2020 at 02:58 PM.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I always assumed when people refer to urinal cakes they’re referring to the smell of them and urine
    That public urinal smell.
    Orchid is another. Don’t find it in my fragrances that much, but it’s used as a descriptor for tea, and they never smell like the orchids we have at home. I’ve always assumed there are numerous different smells from different orchids.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    The barbershop smell is something I have learned how it is supposed to smell. It is nothing like what I might smell when I have been at the hairdresser in Sweden. No standard product here, more a contemporary scented hair product. I remember I thought that Dior Homme Intense smelled like when I've been at the hairdresser. Same with Black Orchid. I've had waxes smelling like Terre d'Hermes as well. I've never got slapped around with powder here. Unfortunately
    Ahhh, well it is somewhat of an archaic term to be sure given that old school barbers are becoming rare. I've always associated the term mostly with North American barbers and perhaps UK. I don't know how prominent those kinds of barbers are in much of Europe. But there are lots of scents past, present and modern that are generally regarded as barbershop, so the term will be bandied about. The fairly recent TOM FORD BEAU DE JOUR is a good example. Once you've smelled 2-3 of them you get the general gist of it.

You are not missing much by never having been. It was for many of us not a particularly pleasant experience. Not exactly like going to the dentist, but not very "pampering." But generally the scents called barbershop tend to evoke the sort of fresh, groomed, clean cut feeling you would have after having gotten a haircut.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Thank you for your thorough description! I think I can at least imagine the barber shop scent now (I guess the aftershave scent, but those are usually aquatic/marine). We do have barbers for men as opposed to regular hair salons for everyone, but these usually are the fancy new hipster places, so I'm not sure if they use the oldschool stuff. I have no business in a barber shop as a woman anyway, but I might stick my nose into one of them or seek for Pinaud Clubman.
    Oh, and a drugstore is another concept that is hard to grasp for me, as I'm not sure if people have pharmacies or inexpensive cosmetic stores in mind. It's hard to find perfumes or cosmetics in a pharmacy (unless it's a really huge one, usually the most you can hope for is a deodorant or a sun lotion) and you can't buy medicine in a cosmetics store here.

Oh, then probably urinal cake is urine + the citrusy scent to mask it. Hm.

'Barbershop' is problematic for me too. While I know what a 'barbershop' is (or 'barber's', as we call them in the UK), I last set foot in one about thirty years ago and wonder how many BNers have actually ever used one (certainly not 'most', I'll wager). What's more, will a barber's in the US smell the same as one in London or rural Spain or suburban Colombo? It's not a universal reference and yet the descriptor is bandied about all the time.

References to proprietary brands not known outside the US are not very helpful. I encountered 'smells like grahams' recently and have no idea what it means (not looking for an explanation here btw).

Thank you for your thorough description! I think I can at least imagine the barber shop scent now (I guess the aftershave scent, but those are usually aquatic/marine). We do have barbers for men as opposed to regular hair salons for everyone, but these usually are the fancy new hipster places, so I'm not sure if they use the oldschool stuff. I have no business in a barber shop as a woman anyway, but I might stick my nose into one of them or seek for Pinaud Clubman.
    Oh, and a drugstore is another concept that is hard to grasp for me, as I'm not sure if people have pharmacies or inexpensive cosmetic stores in mind. It's hard to find perfumes or cosmetics in a pharmacy (unless it's a really huge one, usually the most you can hope for is a deodorant or a sun lotion) and you can't buy medicine in a cosmetics store here.

Oh, then probably urinal cake is urine + the citrusy scent to mask it. Hm.
    Happy to share it. I recognize to some Basenoters and a lot of women, it could be an odd concept.

Yes "aftershave" as a frag term is a bit different. Often sort of medicinal, menthol, aquatic. (Although technically Pinaud Clubman is an aftershave.)

Also one of the trends here in US is indeed kind of trendy "hipster" hair salons meant to be somewhat similar to old barber shops.

You seem to be a charming woman (even in your helmet), I'm sure if you stick your nose in an old fashioned barber shop they'd probably be familiar with Clubman and let you sample it.

As to "drugstores," not sure what kind of store there might carry it. The kind of store that sells soaps, shampoos, shaving cream, razors, aftershaves. Pinaud Clubman is an inexpensive aftershave. It is also sold here sometimes in regular grocery stores.

You seem to be a charming woman (even in your helmet), I'm sure if you stick your nose in an old fashioned barber shop they'd probably be familiar with Clubman and let you sample it.

As to "drugstores," not sure what kind of store there might carry it. The kind of store that sells soaps, shampoos, shaving cream, razors, aftershaves. Pinaud Clubman is an inexpensive aftershave. It is also sold here sometimes in regular grocery stores.
    Awww, you're too sweet! *lifts the helmet politely*
    And I think I know what kind of store you have in mind, we call these cosmetics stores - and I need a regular, not the upscale one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Metallic smell. What?
    I have no problem with this one but I have no idea how to describe it without suggesting to smell some metal bar. :/
    Metal does have that distinct smell/aftertaste, it feels cold and a bit like blood when you taste it, and, well, smells metallic :/
    It's a rather abstract scent, yes.

Annoying:
    Anytime someone says a fragrance is animalistic but it smells floral.
    Anytime someone says a fragrance animalic but the fragrance smells like piss.
    Anytime someone says a fragrance is super masculine, hairy chest masculine but again, it smells floral.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

doomed smeller

Anytime I see a description or comparison I don't understand in a review, I just move on. One can only write with the experience they have with certain aromas. I don't believe it's intentional to confuse anyone. After all aren't reviews just a personal opinion and impression?

At worst, I'll just not finish reading. I don't get annoyed, hopefully.

I really appreciate people writing reviews.

Scanning through the stuff listed above, I didn't see anything that bothered me. I think I'm focused on something else when I'm reading reviews. I read them quickly. I often have something specific in mind, such as another fragrance or a note, etc. that I think might be mentioned.

"fresh" frags: grey vetiver edp or erba bura(super sweet, syrup-like) ... or worse: A*Men(black rubber bottle) or kouros(white bottle) - some people have a strange interpretation of the word "fresh" (for me fresh frags are things like cool water, millesime imperial, versace pour homme - and perhaps semi-fresh: bdc edt, aventus, mefisto, eau de nuit)

"marine": kenzo pour homme (do the seas/oceans smell like that? really?)

"salty" - well, salt has no smell

"oregano" - especially mentioned when describing interlude - is that the herb often used in pizza? if so I don't get any of that(in any frag I tested so far)

vetiver - well, my favorite frag is roja vetiver parfum, but this is very different from original vetiver, and both are different from lalique encre noire - and I'm almost sure there are "other vetivers" (vetiver tonka anyone?) - so I don't think it's useful using this term as it refers to many different things

musk - what the heck is this? on the surface it's in a similar situation as vetiver above: same word applied to many different things... I "think" I know "white musk" but other than that not much... it also has seemingly opposite/incompatible descriptions, from animalic to clean and fresh(what do people mean when they say "musky"?)

When a perfume rushed to market is seen as "oh the perfumer just wants us to enjoy the ride of maturation alongside them! Truly the genius of a master perfumer!"
    So you're telling me that a small scale indie perfumer has been through several trial phases with a perfume, with their limited "über rare" materials, testing each trial for a decent amount of time etc etc within the span of 10 months maximum?

Yes I am sure they had a crystal ball too and would have just known how it was going to turn out because their master perfumer nose is that good.

Lunacy.

edit: For the floral=fecal thing brought up, I think that can be explained when white florals come into play, both au natural and accord. Probably down to some being sensitive to indole, which can be perceived as fecal (it is also present in the rear end business, so the association makes sense really).

Play-doh : seems often used as shorthand for a kind of cherry almondy note with rubbery, plastic-y undertones
    Doll-head : similar, often shorthand for almondy heliotrope note.
    Vicks (vapo-rub) : menthol and eucalyptus ointment used to relieve blocked noses and chesty coughs (UK and I assume US) - think mainstream version of Tiger Balm. Used as a chest rub, or as dabs between eyebrows or across the bridge of the nose.
    Narcissi : these are scented, at least in the UK - varieties such as paperwhites, pheasant-eye narcissi (narcissus poeticus recurvus), and certain others (in the same way, most tulips are not scented, but some are especially if the blooms are orange e.g. Prinses Irene
    Daffodils : mostly unscented, probably mentioned because people confuse them with narcissi. That said, a clump or bunch of daffs will have that fresh green vaguely flowery, florist-shop scent; a bit like the opening of Aramis Devin if you've ever smelt that.
    Vanilla pod : like vanilla flavouring, but deeper and richer - I get an almost caramel undertone from my jar of pods - (like the difference between sniffing a jar of instant coffee, and grinding roasted coffee beans).
    A September rotation of vetiver and leather : Etro Gomma and Vetiver; Hermes Equipage and Bel Ami; Caron Yatagan; Knize Ten; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire; Gucci Guilty Absolute; Puig Quorum.

everyday i'm samplin'

20200914_074508.jpg

Lol. Kouros.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo