Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Paco Rabanne XS (2018) educate me please?

I intend to try this once I find a store that sells it.

There seems very little talk of it on here, neither good nor bad but the original version was quiet popular in it's day wasn't it?

I am intrigued that it is supposed to smell kind of old school but not in an oak-moss or skanky way. More of a very fresh, perhaps harsh at first, non-aquatic citrus freshy?
    It has also been likened to Creed Himalaya but as I have not smelt that either I wouldn't know if that's true or even good or bad.

I appreciate it may not be the best quality compared to some but perhaps as good as most mainstream designer frags?

Can anyone describe how it smells using terms or comparisons I would understand i.e. compared to mainstream frags I may have smelt (no point in comparing to a frag I have never heard of or smelt) or if using notes don't assume I will know what those notes actually smell like in a fragrance (with some obvious exceptions like lemon, orange, iris etc.)

How does it perform? This is subjective and we all have different body chemistry so I appreciate all opinions on this are personal but it is nice to get an overview of how it performs on the majority.
    I don't buy into the re-apply philosophy, not unless I only pay around £10 or so for a bottle, anything more than that and it should perform for most of my working day, even if its a skin scent by end of work.
    Projection is not a huge thing for me as long as I can smell it and anyone within a half metre of me can at least catch a whiff of it. I don't want to be cologne guy and stink out the place.
    Is is a clean scent? Clean however, can be a lot of things to a lot of people i.e. vetiver clean, aquatic clean, citrus clean etc..so if possible can you explain what you mean if you use the term clean?

As I said, I will try to sample this at some point but there's no harm is asking you guru's is there?

Thanks

Banned

Default Re: Paco Rabanne XS (2018) educate me please?

Can't really remember how it smelled exactly but I do remember that it just seemed like a total snooze, super generic 90s. You probably will have smelled it or something similar before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Can't really remember how it smelled exactly but I do remember that it just seemed like a total snooze, super generic 90s. You probably will have smelled it or something similar before.
    Thanks. To be honest I am not looking for creative genius or to be challenged (I don't want that in any frag) or anything super 'interesting', I just want it to smell good. Fresh, semi-sweet, decent performance.

I appreciate it is nothing groundbreaking and doesn't smell like a nomadic silkworms's anal gland or such like but that's not my bag with frags anyway.

Perhaps asking Basenotes for opinions on frags like this is like asking Pistonheads for opinions on a Ford Mondeo?

If you check the Basenotes Directory, XS has lots of bad to very bad reviews, and a few okay ones.

Mr Zealot Crusader has a really big, relatively positively review of it.

I don't know what XS made in 2018 is like, but my review in the Directory of the earlier formulation is as follows.
    Cheers,
    Renato

"Do not worry about the dud rating for XS Pour Homme in Perfumes: The Guide.
    Do not worry about the negative and neutral reviews below.

If you wish to own a scent where, after applying six sprays, gorgeous looking blonde women are likely to say something like "Oooo - what's that you're wearing?", then I strongly suggest that you consider investing in XS.

If you do not care what gorgeous looking blonde women think, and only buy scents that please your inner self, then I suggest that it may be time to re examine one's priorities in life.

The longevity of this scent is very good on me.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    If you check the Basenotes Directory, XS has lots of bad to very bad reviews, and a few okay ones.

Mr Zealot Crusader has a really big, relatively positively review of it.

I don't know what XS made in 2018 is like, but my review in the Directory of the earlier formulation is as follows.
    Cheers,
    Renato

"Do not worry about the dud rating for XS Pour Homme in Perfumes: The Guide.
    Do not worry about the negative and neutral reviews below.

If you wish to own a scent where, after applying six sprays, gorgeous looking blonde women are likely to say something like "Oooo - what's that you're wearing?", then I strongly suggest that you consider investing in XS.

If you do not care what gorgeous looking blonde women think, and only buy scents that please your inner self, then I suggest that it may be time to re examine one's priorities in life.

The longevity of this scent is very good on me.
    "
    So you like it then?

I only know and own the first made in France versions and I like it very much! Kind of a less sharp/metallic Chanel Platinum Egoiste if you will and maybe a little boring but it smells ok and is perfect as a 'go to' or office fragrance during spring.

Then we got (same lay out) the 'Made in Spain' version which is supposed to be quite inferior and now the 2018 version of which both I never tested.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Isn't Pure XS the more popular of the group/flankers?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    How does it perform? This is subjective and we all have different body chemistry so I appreciate all opinions on this are personal but it is nice to get an overview of how it performs on the majority.
    On my skin the original performs very well.
    Last edited by hednic; 15th September 2020 at 04:01 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks guys.
    I was only referring to the 2018 version as that's the one I'm more likely to be able to get.
    The Spanish version seems to be a step down and the original French version probably hard or impossible to get.

So you like it then?
    Yes.
    I have both XS and Creed Himalaya - and when side by side one can tell they aren't the same - the overall effect is very similar, and I prefer my longer lasting XS.
    Regards,
    Renato

Fresh, semi-sweet, decent performance.
    That's XS in a nutshell. If you like Eternity or Platinum Egoiste, XS would probably be to your liking too.

The 2018 version is 95% close to the original.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The original Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme (1993) is one of the earliest examples of a fresh fougère using a metallic geranium head note. This stuff ran side-by-side with Chanel Platinum Égoïste (1993) but the latter got more attention because it's a Chanel and Polge had a novel metallic aldehyde and a sandalwood note that made it smell more refined. The comparisons to Creed Himalaya (2002) are justified, as Creed basically copied XS pour Homme (but made a superior take on the subject), and grafted on a much better ambergris base.

Another that will smell close to Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme is Parfums de Marly Percival (2018), which adds more lavender to the mix but also more boom pow. The modern Paco Rabanne XS is in a different bottle that matches the later flankers, and the juice is gray instead of gold, but it smells for all intents and purposes the same outside restrictions on oakmoss (although there was little oakmoss in the original version).

I don't know why XS gets so much hate here on Basenotes. The same people who praise Himalaya trash XS, which is funny because they're not THAT much different really. Niche snobs are weird
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Thanks guys, this is exactly what a I wanted to know and explained in an unambiguous way.
    Of course I need to try and smell it but it's relatively cheap and a 100ml bottle can be had for well under £40 online.

I appreciate that the Creed will be of superior quality (although not in performance as is typical with most Creeds) but if it's close then it's close enough for me. Actually it's not that I want it to specifically smell like Himilaya as I've never smelt that anyway but I do like clean, fresh, metallic, semi-sweet and slightly more mature fragrances.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys, this is exactly what a I wanted to know and explained in an unambiguous way.
    Of course I need to try and smell it but it's relatively cheap and a 100ml bottle can be had for well under £40 online.

I appreciate that the Creed will be of superior quality (although not in performance as is typical with most Creeds) but if it's close then it's close enough for me. Actually it's not that I want it to specifically smell like Himilaya as I've never smelt that anyway but I do like clean, fresh, metallic, semi-sweet and slightly more mature fragrances.
    It's the other way around. Himilaya (2002) smells like XS (1993). Cheers!

Banned

Why I blind bought it at the time, the Creed comparisons. Never tried Himalaya but glad this one was cheaper. The reason why I barely remember XS, I unpacked it, smelled it once, then it went straight on eBay, no temptation to try it a few more times. Happened rarely. Sex Pistols was another one. Most of my stuff is designer, nothing to do with niche fetish in my case.

Anyway, you have been warned! Maybe you'll enjoy it. People like different things. It must sell if it's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The original Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme (1993) is one of the earliest examples of a fresh fougère using a metallic geranium head note. This stuff ran side-by-side with Chanel Platinum Égoïste (1993) but the latter got more attention because it's a Chanel and Polge had a novel metallic aldehyde and a sandalwood note that made it smell more refined. The comparisons to Creed Himalaya (2002) are justified, as Creed basically copied XS pour Homme (but made a superior take on the subject), and grafted on a much better ambergris base.

Another that will smell close to Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme is Parfums de Marly Percival (2018), which adds more lavender to the mix but also more boom pow. The modern Paco Rabanne XS is in a different bottle that matches the later flankers, and the juice is gray instead of gold, but it smells for all intents and purposes the same outside restrictions on oakmoss (although there was little oakmoss in the original version).

I don't know why XS gets so much hate here on Basenotes. The same people who praise Himalaya trash XS, which is funny because they're not THAT much different really. Niche snobs are weird
    Man, I like all those!

XS was my first proper scent as a teenager.
    It was awesome back then. I bought a new bottle many years later and it was three years ago -right before the bottle change. Although oakmoss is not listed I can clearly smell it. To be honest the new version is pretty damn good but just a click inferior to the original.
    Oh and I get 8 hours from the new stuff and it's skanky!!

[QUOTE=Foamywax;4999219]XS was my first proper scent as a teenager.
    It was awesome back then. I bought a new bottle many years later and it was three years ago -right before the bottle change. Although oakmoss is not listed I can clearly smell it. To be honest the new version is pretty damn good but just a click inferior to the original.
    Oh and I get 8 hours from the new stuff and it's skanky!![/QUOTE]

Skanky? ... the 2018 version? ... really? I've not heard that about it (and I'd remember as I hate skank)

It's oak-mossy meaning it smells a little dated but that's why I like it.
    Can't you try it first??

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Man, I like all those!
    So do I

Love all those geranium-heavy scents!

I tried both original and newer version and indeed found the newer close to the original. Didn't do a side-by-side comparison to say how close they are and for a deeper comparison and just can talk you about the older one.
    The first time I tried it I didn't like spicy notes, what's basically its opening. A fresh spicy opening. Then it comes the base that's woody and aromatic. It lasts for good 6-8h on my skin. Projection is not good (just in the beginning), but you can feel it for hours and hours.
    A while ago it wouldn't call my attention. The world of fragrances is very dynamic: in this world of boring fresh scents, XS became an excellent option for me in the heat and it's a freak in this sea of brands desperate to sell you your next best summer scent. Another excellent one is Déclaration from Cartier.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I will have to try the new zippo bottle I have the one right before -the old style bottle.

That's a tad expensive. It costs A$49.99 (£28) for a 100ml bottle down here in Australia at major pharmacies.
    Regards,
    Renato.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    It's oak-mossy meaning it smells a little dated but that's why I like it.
    Can't you try it first??
    I will certainly try to, especially as you described it as 'skanky' which worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I tried both original and newer version and indeed found the newer close to the original. Didn't do a side-by-side comparison to say how close they are and for a deeper comparison and just can talk you about the older one.
    The first time I tried it I didn't like spicy notes, what's basically its opening. A fresh spicy opening. Then it comes the base that's woody and aromatic. It lasts for good 6-8h on my skin. Projection is not good (just in the beginning), but you can feel it for hours and hours.
    A while ago it wouldn't call my attention. The world of fragrances is very dynamic: in this world of boring fresh scents, XS became an excellent option for me in the heat and it's a freak in this sea of brands desperate to sell you your next best summer scent. Another excellent one is Déclaration from Cartier.
    I have a sample of Déclaration Parfum, I don't like it, it's too dark and cloying. I prefer lighter and fresher scents but with some oomph also.
    Why can't they make a Parfum concentration without also making it darker and often cloying?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    That's a tad expensive. It costs A$49.99 (£28) for a 100ml bottle down here in Australia at major pharmacies.
    Regards,
    Renato.
    That's good but the postage from Oz to the UK would be very expensive
    Seriously though, the cheapest I've found it in the UK is around £35 but it ranges from that up to £50.

I will certainly try to, especially as you described it as 'skanky' which worries me.
    It is from 1993 it does not smell modern.
    Black xs is more modern.
    I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    It is from 1993 it does not smell modern.
    Black xs is more modern.
    I like both.
    Thanks, can we clarify whether you are referring to the 1993 vintage or the 2018 as 'skanky'?

That's good but the postage from Oz to the UK would be very expensive
    Australia Post does not ship fragrances to overseas addresses. They consider fragrances as "hazardous materials".
    Not even by sea.
    Last edited by Alex; 17th September 2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Loop ppl

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Australia Post does not ship fragrances to overseas addresses. They consider fragrances as "hazardous materials".
    Not even by sea.
    Thanks, I was trying to be funny Alex, it seems I failed