Code of Conduct

Default Replacements for Musk R1 and Bois d'Encense

Hi all, Im messing around with an incense accord, I know this is a well discussed topic and there are so many types of incense! Ive got a list of materials Im working with and want to order, but Ive come across mention of Musk M1 and Bois d'Encense a few times but cannot get either. Perhaps materials that I have / can get my hands on can be used as potential replacements but without being able to smell them its so hard to know, can anybody suggest possible replacements? (also, is Bois d'Encense a raw material or an accord? I not looking to work with pre-made accords)

Default Re: Replacements for Musk R1 and Bois d'Encense

Both are available from The Perfumer's Apprentice and Perfumer Supply House. I personally would contact Christine and she will most likely work with to get your package to you if shipping is an issue. Best of luck!

Hello!
    It will be very difficult to replace Musk R1 (if you are looking for its incense drydown), perhaps Silvanone Supra or Dihydroambrettolide would help.
    For the Bois d'Encense you can use Olibanum Resinoid with Virginian Cedarwood oil but the result will not be quite the same, since they are co-extracted and the cedarwood oil generates some molecular reactions in the final product.
    Filipe L.
    Accords, bases and perfume formulas: https://creative-formulas.com/

Bois d'Encense is a material. It is woody and smoky just like a piece of wood smoking in incense. It is hard to replace but can be replaced by bois des landes and hydrocarboresin for example. Musk M1 is the less concerning replacement. Use Z11 or R1 or even some tonquitone etc.

Z11?!?!??!!?!??!?!?!??!?!!!!!! For Musk R1?!?!?!?

Not Tonquitone either.

Not that I at all want to disagree, but I just can't do anything but on those.

Dihydroambrettolide, already suggested, is probably the closest possible I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Bois d'Encense is a material. It is woody and smoky just like a piece of wood smoking in incense. It is hard to replace but can be replaced by bois des landes and hydrocarboresin for example. Musk M1 is the less concerning replacement. Use Z11 or R1 or even some tonquitone etc.
    It's not that hard to replace Bois d'Encens, a simple blend of Olibanum Resinoid and a good quality Cedarwood Virginia gets very close, and both materials are very accessible.

But in case of Musk R1, I haven't seen anything like it, so it will be more difficult to replace. Z11 is very different, Tonquitone is very animalic.. R1 is rich, lactonic, smooth and incensy musk.
    Filipe L.
    Accords, bases and perfume formulas: https://creative-formulas.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BAGreat View Post
    Both are available from The Perfumer's Apprentice and Perfumer Supply House. I personally would contact Christine and she will most likely work with to get your package to you if shipping is an issue. Best of luck!
    Thanks BAGreat, it's hugly expensive to ship from the US here but if I dont come right I will. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by filipeleira View Post
    It's not that hard to replace Bois d'Encens, a simple blend of Olibanum Resinoid and a good quality Cedarwood Virginia gets very close, and both materials are very accessible.

But in case of Musk R1, I haven't seen anything like it, so it will be more difficult to replace. Z11 is very different, Tonquitone is very animalic.. R1 is rich, lactonic, smooth and incensy musk.
    Thanks Filipe, this is very helpful