Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Rebirth of Group Buys on Basenotes DIY ?

I posted a reply to another thread where there seemed to be an interest about the rebirth of perfumery ingredient group buys starting in the Basenotes forums, as they currently are against the rules. Some open minded moderated pitched in that discussion as well. But then the thread took another direction completely and I thought it would be appropriate to make another one on that topic specifically. Anyone cares to comment on that ?

Default Re: Rebirth of Group Buys on Basenotes DIY ?

I expect I would be a participant in many group buys, where minimum required amount was not greatly expensive. (Not that personal reasons matter, but my wife is working very hard towards saving money for an important purchase, and it would be quite unfair to spend overly much on perfuming right now. But still I would want to be in and could be for not-greatly costly amounts.)

I would certainly appreciate people being able to communicate about planned group buys with announcement or proposal threads here, perhaps with discussion after announcement and initial discussion being conducted by PM rather than continuing in threads.

Personally I would think it best if understood as everyone's personal risk, and everyone knowing that sometimes things do go wrong with that sort of venture. In certain cases reliability is high but even then things can always happen, such as disasters. Unacceptable for the organizer to profit while others lose, but also not right for organizer to be sole one to take a loss when he or she takes a loss from such. Shared risk.

I agree. I think that group buys should be reserved for sample quantities, otherwise, what's the point ? For me, as I am not planning on making large batches, even 5ml samples are enough. And although I expect the group buy host to receive compensation for the work (and material) involved, I'd like transparency on on the source and the actual bulk cost. If group buys were ever to get re-instored here, I'd expect to be a recurrent participant for the otherwise rare or novelty ingredients for which sample/retail quantities are not made available on the market yet. And I think that it would be very difficult for a group buy host to provide a large variety of packagings/quantities, so standardizing on one single quantity (5ml, 10ml, 15ml, 30ml) makes sense and I would comply. But then, my question is : do ingredients of interest even exist ? I have seen recently that Firmenich sent samples of their 2020 collection to basically anybody who asked. So is that becoming an industry standard making group buys obsolete, or is there still a place for them ? Can you think of good candidate ingredients for group buys ?
    Last edited by contrebande; 17th September 2020 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Good idea !
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

Quote Originally Posted by contrebande View Post
    I agree. I think that group buys should be reserved for sample quantities, otherwise, what's the point ? For me, as I am not planning on making large batches, even 5ml samples are enough. And although I expect the group buy host to receive compensation for the work (and material) involved, I'd like transparency on on the source and the actual bulk cost. If group buys were ever to get re-instored here, I'd expect to be a recurrent participant for the otherwise rare or novelty ingredients for which sample/retail quantities are not made available on the market yet. And I think that it would be very difficult for a group buy host to provide a large variety of packagings/quantities, so standardizing on one single quantity (5ml, 10ml, 15ml, 30ml) makes sense and I would comply. But then, my question is : do ingredients of interest even exist ? I have seen recently that Firmenich sent samples of their 2020 collection to basically anybody who asked. So is that becoming an industry standard making group buys obsolete, or is there still a place for them ? Can you think of good candidate ingredients for group buys ?
    When Bill was talking about the virtues of group buys he mentioned that you usually have to purchase 1kg from suppliers. Now while I wouldn't ever be the person in charge of parceling out a group buy, I think 5ml,10ml,even 30ml are too small of quantities to expect to be available for purchase. I don't feel the purpose is supposed to be like perfume decanting where you can sample this and that, I would see it closer to 4-5 way splits.

I think a standard amount is also appropriate. Like 30mls or 50mls. Because if everyone wants different quantities every time, it will be a nightmare for whoever is organizing it.

Also worth considering who will handle this. Because if it’s someone in the US, or EU, it’s not easy to reciprocally ship certain things (a cost which must be factored in ahead of purchase).

And there is something else I would like to point out : international trade. Unless the host is located near the source supplier, then, there will be extra and sometimes redundant costs associated to the group buy. For instance, if the source supplier is in EU and the host in America, then EU group buyers might not be getting the best deal out of this. It might be unavoidable, but if Basenotes allowed and fostered group buys again, maybe there could be enough hosts, sufficiently geographically distributed to alleviate this problem.

EDIT : I seem to have posted this idea simultaneously to someone else. I will leave it as-is and continue the discussion in another post.
    Last edited by contrebande; 17th September 2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: note on redundancy

I posted a reply to another thread where there seemed to be an interest about the rebirth of perfumery ingredient group buys starting in the Basenotes forums, as they currently are against the rules. Some open minded moderated pitched in that discussion as well. But then the thread took another direction completely and I thought it would be appropriate to make another one on that topic specifically. Anyone cares to comment on that ?
    I'm not trying to be pricky but I see that you started an online store for AC's (https://contrebande.co) ,
    To that I can not help but ask myself some questions... Are you planning to use the MOQ you can reach thanks to group-buy capacity to fill up your stock? If is that what motivates you, then the risk is to have uninteresting group purchase proposals for products that can be more or less easily obtained.
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I think 5ml,10ml,even 30ml are too small of quantities to expect to be available for purchase. I don't feel the purpose is supposed to be like perfume decanting where you can sample this and that, I would see it closer to 4-5 way splits.
    1kg/1L split 5 times is 200g/ml and personally, I would pass on such an offer. But a 4-5 group buy could easily be organized privately, IMHO, and I think that it is not unthinkable for a public group buy promoted on this platform, to attract the 20-30 people and bring the size down to say, 30ml. If it is in the capacity of the host, 5ml could be offered too, especially if the host is a retailer and can sell the rest through other channels and already has the equipment to accomodate more than one quantity/packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by apolo085 View Post
    The risk is to have uninteresting group purchase proposals for products that can be more or less easily obtained.
    You mean spam ? I was ambivalent before, but now that you point this out, I agree with you that a thread should not be initiated by a seller, but only by a prospective buyer, otherwise, it should be considered spam and it should be removed by the forum moderators. And like I said, I think it's only fair to pay Basenotes some fee to gain "supplier" status and be allowed to pitch on a group buy (make an offer). So, in short, a group buy thread should 1) be in a separate forum, 2) be initiated by a prospective buyer with a longstanding reputation in this community as to avoid any collusion or Sybil attack and 3) allow reply offers only from "Basenotes accredited" buyers. Does that fix it for you ? And notwithstanding my other activities (if you want to talk about that, please start another thread, and I'll gladly join), like I said, I am interested more in being a buyer of sample quantities as part of a group buy at the moment.

I do understand why group buys are currently forbidden on Basenotes and maybe it is not in Basenotes' best interests to revive them. But I do see a potential (especially, again, as a buyer of sample quantities) and should Basenotes pass on the business, I might give a thought at the possibility of looking for another platform to make those things possible.
    Last edited by contrebande; 17th September 2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling, readability

Not wishing to be a Debbie Downer, but all that, which does have merit, either proposes great complexity or dropping the idea.

I do disagree that a long time, respected content provider on this forum would be "spamming" by occasionally posting he or she is considering hosting a group buy on some exotic.

I also don't think if the only allowed direction of posted interest is non-hosters wanting small amounts, that that would go anywhere.

Why not just allow potential hosters to post their idea, some minimum forum membership time and posts required, all else by PM, quantities and the like up to hoster. At cost. No fee to Basenotes, not merited, without content providers there is no forum.

Personally, I have nothing against free markets, on the contrary. But seeing that some people here are so easily irritated all the time about anything, I'd rather see it happen with some restrictions than not seeing it at all. And it is true that SPAM can be an issue. At the bottom of my heart, I would love to see Christine Daley host group buys all the time here. She is the most competent, most connected retailer I know, she has done group buys in the past, it's not far from her current business model. Has she stopped doing it because of Basenotes regulations or because it was a tedious thing to do generally ? Could she do it from her website or could Basenotes be a relevant catalyst ? I don't know. Figuring this out is what this thread is about. I think it would be nice now to list example ingredients that would be a good fit for group buys and what are the obstacles (besides Basenotes regulations) for procuring them. With the little experience I have, I think I am missing out on pyrazines (neat, you know me), for instance. Could rare, fragile, expensive naturals also be good candidates ? If so which ones ? I know a company nearby, Cedarome, that supplies Robertet with many absolutes, could that be of interest ? I think we should start with a list of ingredients that could only be procured via group buys for the mere mortals that we are and let Basenotes decide if getting organized here is something they want to support.
    Last edited by contrebande; 17th September 2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: readability

1kg/1L split 5 times is 200g/ml and personally, I would pass on such an offer. But a 4-5 group buy could easily be organized privately, IMHO, and I think that it is not unthinkable for a public group buy promoted on this platform, to attract the 20-30 people and bring the size down to say, 30ml. If it is in the capacity of the host, 5ml could be offered too, especially if the host is a retailer and can sell the rest through other channels and already has the equipment to accomodate more than one quantity/packaging.

You mean spam ? I was ambivalent before, but now that you point this out, I agree with you that a thread should not be initiated by a seller, but only by a prospective buyer, otherwise, it should be considered spam and it should be removed by the forum moderators. And like I said, I think it's only fair to pay Basenotes some fee to gain "supplier" status and be allowed to pitch on a group buy (make an offer). So, in short, a group buy thread should 1) be in a separate forum, 2) be initiated by a prospective buyer with a longstanding reputation in this community as to avoid any collusion or Sybil attack and 3) allow reply offers only from "Basenotes accredited" buyers. Does that fix it for you ? And notwithstanding my other activities (if you want to talk about that, please start another thread, and I'll gladly join), like I said, I am interested more in being a buyer of sample quantities as part of a group buy at the moment.

I do understand why group buys are currently forbidden on Basenotes and maybe it is not in Basenotes' best interests to revive them. But I do see a potential (especially, again, as a buyer of sample quantities) and should Basenotes pass on the business, I might give a thought at the possibility of looking for another platform to make those things possible.
    My concern is that group-buy proposals should not be hosted by people willing (Only), to use the MOQ to get a referencing for their business company in the client database of a demanding supplier.
    Otherwise I have no problem with your activity, I wish you running a happy business, Bonne chance !

My concern is that group-buy proposals should not be hosted by people willing (Only), to use the MOQ to get a referencing for their business company with a demanding supplier.
    If group buys are best suited for hard to find (i.e. unpopular) ingredients retail-wise, why would a retailer ever use group buys as leverage to meet MOQs ? I think that the fact that it doesn't make sense on a business level is probably one of the biggest reasons why nobody's doing group buys anymore : it's not worth it (only to meet MOQ for retail-bound merchandise). Even then, quite frankly, if the group buy host fulfills their part of the deal diligently, why would one care about their underlying motives ? That's their business, not ours. It's not like trying to meet MOQs through a group buy is a sinister conspiracy that would warrant Basenotes banning group buys altogether, is it ? It is perfectly legal and altogether legitimate and everybody wins. I don't see the point, here, honestly.

I wish you running a happy business, Bonne chance !
    Thank you. Now, please, let's try to make group buys great again!
    Last edited by contrebande; 17th September 2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: grammar

If group buys are best suited for hard to find (i.e. unpopular) ingredients retail-wise, why would a retailer ever use group buys as leverage to meet MOQs ? I think that the fact that it doesn't make sense on a business level is probably one of the biggest reasons why nobody's doing group buys anymore : it's not worth it (only to meet MOQ for retail-bound merchandise). Even then, quite frankly, if the group buy host fulfills their part of the deal diligently, why would one care about their underlying motives ? That's their business, not ours. It's not like trying to meet MOQs through a group buy is a sinister conspiracy that would warrant Basenotes banning group buys altogether, is it ? It is perfectly legal and altogether legitimate and everybody wins. I don't see the point, here, honestly.

Thank you. Now, please, let's try to make group buys great again!
    I can tell you did not get my point.
    I will not argue with you on each point you just said, otherwise it's gonna be long and polemical.
    You are dealing with DIY people, when launching a group-buy with this category of client, the passion/DIY-spirit orbiting around the compound must be the starting point, otherwise as I said previously, we gonna end up with non interesting, business focused group-buy propositions.

Whatever it is, I applaud any attempt to revive the group-buying option.

You are dealing with DIY people, when launching a group-buy with this category of client, the passion/DIY-spirit orbiting around the compound must be the start point
    Well I have a feeling your insistant, so-called passion/DIY-spirit just killed this thread.

And if this is any indication of how group buys are to be conducted here, I perfectly understand why nobody wants to be part of them.

Whatever it is, I applaud any attempt to revive the group-buying option.
    Nope. I know what an applause feels like and this ain't it, by a far cry. Sorry.

Oh well, at least I tried.
    Last edited by contrebande; 18th September 2020 at 12:25 AM. Reason: readability

As an example, imagining myself as a potential host:

While getting quotes for work to see if Penta might be a supplier or approved vendor, I asked a few quotes for items I was interested in personally, as if we placed an order for items the company needed I think we'd be able to add those and I could just reimburse.

The per kg prices were utterly awful as Penta works I think on the repack charge model but rolls it into per kg price. So I could buy just 30 g let's say, but if 5 or 10 people wanted in, we'd be splitting the repack and saving about $100 each, besides being more accessible to many.

Now on the one hand let's say the direction is, I am the person wanting and I post "What's the interest in someone hosting a group buy for such and such exotic quinoline? I'd be in if enough are and quantity I had to buy was not so much."

Probably going nowhere.

On the other hand, if someone who comes up with the idea this quinoline should be available and is willing to host and posts they can do it if at least so many join in, why, that might attract a few.

Well I have a feeling your insistant, so-called passion/DIY-spirit just killed this thread.

And if this is any indication of how group buys are to be conducted here, I perfectly understand why nobody wants to be part of them.

... Oh well, at least I tried.
    Seeing briefly your site, if you wish to announce you'd purchase a material in some amount if enough can join in, and you'd like to offer amounts as low as you mentioned, why, I think that would be a very good thing.

There are important professional relationships between source suppliers, brokers, and retailers. It seems unlikely that you’ll find sources/manufacturers who want to damage their long-running, ongoing relationships with their established delivery chain for a couple of sales with an ensemble of DIYers. If you were a manufacturer with an established sales chain, would you risk upsetting those retailers for a one-off sale with team homeschool?

Nope. I know what an applause feels like and this ain't it, by a far cry. Sorry.

Oh well, at least I tried.
    Feel free to believe on whathever you want on me, not gonna argue on that neither.
    On the other hand, even assuming I'm against this, you shouldn't give up, I'm not in charge in this forum, I am only expressing my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Seeing briefly your site, if you wish to announce you'd purchase a material in some amount if enough can join in, and you'd like to offer amounts as low as you mentioned, why, I think that would be a very good thing.
    If it is a hard to get compound, offered on a small scale, of course!!! But imagining a proposition on cheap IES or an Ionone just to get a record in the supplier database... What's the point?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Thanks Bill. My main objective is to be like a virtual Art and Olfaction with a different editorial standpoint, and not to be mainly a retailer. I want to engage people in perfume making just as there was a push towards home cooking in the recent years. The retail aspect of it is only a collateral requirement to enable and facilitate DIY perfume making. I don't see myself as a perfumer either and more like a perfume editor. I love to smell other's creations more than I do my own. And I think I'm good at helping people realize their own ideas. But I'm all DIY-maker and tinkerer at heart myself and I just felt that group buys are a great way for me to get my hands on hard to find materials. And at the same time, they seemed like great learning opportunities for me, which is what I am interested in in the first place, and what Contrebande is organically all about. And while I do not have the industry savviness of a Christine Daley (yet), there are lots of things (payment processing, bottling, order fulfillment) that are in place here that could indeed make Contrebande a good fit as a host or a platform for group buys. We are also in the process of translating our site to English and allow international shipping because "influencers" with a global reach want to talk about us and, well, we felt that was in order. But I would like it to be efficient and fun, and social. Here's how I see group buys, ideally, whether on Basenotes or on another platform. There should be a way for people to maintain a wishlist of ingredients that they'd be willing to participate in a group buy for. And they should be able to put the kind of ballpark quantity they are after and maybe a maximum price they are willing to pay. On the other hand, there would be a way for all to see what are the most requested ingredients (in terms of either popularity, quantity and/or value). And prospective sellers or hosts could post offers for the ingredients they think they could sustainably provide. This could all be done informally on Basenotes, which is what this thread was about. But given some time, it certainly could be done elsewhere, sure, including on Contrebande or Perfumer Supply House (if she is interested), with the possibility to add other functionalities like refundable down payments, for added security if the deal is called off for whatever reason and so the host doesn't have to front all the costs. I think I would like to talk to Christine now and hear what she has to say. And report back here on that when I can. In the meantime, if you guys could share some of your ingredient ideas, I'm sure that would help move things in the right direction.
    Last edited by contrebande; 18th September 2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: readability

Basenotes Plus

Here are my thoughts:
    (I've done many group buys, and participated too.)
    Some suppliers only require a 1kg moq. Some require a $75 min order per item, this is for materials that cost less than $30/kg - $4/kg. Robertet, Biolandes, and some other EU suppliers have around a $750 min amount per order item. Each supplier has a different set of requirements. Bedoukian and Sigma Aldrich won't send to a house address, and require a business license proof at a commercial address. Sometimes, lots of hoops to jump through.

Due to the Canada Post's handling of packages, I would suggest an American group buy organizer. But if no American has ability with a commercial address in Canada, then maybe that person would be better for that supplier's transactions.

Whoever is doing the bottling and purchasing, is going to take some amount of losses. They may spill, bottles caps may leak, Customs may havd a fit and do an inspection that gets billed to the buyer. I had one US customs inspection cost me $100, and that was just for free paper box samples from China.

There *should always be some advantage to the buyer/splitter for doing the work, and taking losses.

They way I've done splits recently, was to front the money, after some decided to participate, giving an approximate cost, but splitter should have privilege to change the cost basis per gram, if odd things happen.

Due to BN rules for materials splits, I always took them off BN to run these transactions.

I dont think that I want to host buys presently.
    But may decide to do so, for an important raw material.
    Bottles, well, that a whole other kettle of fish...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Is this not what crowdfunding platforms are for? They provide the finance/money handling layer and provide an easy "out" for the host if the funding goal/MOQ was not met. Aside from the cut taken by the crowdfunding platform, it sounds like a perfect fit.

It could be a great way to get previously unstocked chems into places like PSH - by organising the purchase through an already established retailer (if the operator is willing). The initial crowdfunded "campaign" could be the way to validate the demand for the product and those who pledge to the campaign pay up front, meaning larger amounts could be purchased by the retailer (better margins for them), then it would leave the left-over (if there was any) as stock for PSH to sell to others.

Going through the retailer solves a few other problems like sourcing from large houses, bottling etc. doing it the crowdfunded way just makes it easier for the retailer.

Shipping is the biggest cross-border problem for me, and would personally mean I'd sit out of most of the splits anyway, because I need to buy in bulk to make shipping worthwhile.

Hi Paul,

Nobody in their right mind uses Canada Post for perfumes or perfumery ingredients, ever, not even domestically, but especially not on exports. We use FedEx Ground to the US and DHL Express for the rest of the world, and the quality of service is well above industry standards. They are even cheaper than Canada Post most of the time. So I don't think it's reason enough to discriminate against non-American group buy sellers. It depends on what carrier they use. Beyond that, as a buyer, as with any e-commerce purchase, make sure you understand the sale terms (which should be clearly stated by the seller), see if the price and shipping fees suit you and know about your own country's custom tariffs for ACs and perfumery ingredients (there is none from CA to US, BTW).

If the seller fronts everything and doesn't require a cash down like you do, of course he can change the price, but buyers then have the right to desist as there has been no transaction (and no reasonable way to enforce such a sale contract internationally if there ever was one). On the other hand, a cash down usually implies a fixed price, as per credit card network policies. These terms are also up for the seller to offer and for the buyer to accept or refuse.

Anyways, I will make some offline inquiries and report back here when I have more to tell.

What was the problem with group buys prior that it ended?
    I can buy small quantities of just about anything online, the only thing I would be interested in are rares that aren't available in the states. I wouldn't want to risk too much money because who knows if the person is accountable/reliable that is hosting it. There should be a standard format of information given; supplier, amount of product per slot, cost per slot, projected purchase date, materials used for packing, while the host agrees to do things in a sterile manner.

Basenotes Plus

Group buys were never allowed because of BN rules for splitting regular fragrances. The rules included that the splitter had to have a certain number of positive points, before being allowed to split scents.
    But none of the DIY people bothered to do those tasks, buying or selling fragrances. So, no one was ever qualified under BN rules to carry out group buys.
    Thats why I always took group buys off BN.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by myhaiku View Post
    What was the problem with group buys prior that it ended?
    I can buy small quantities of just about anything online, the only thing I would be interested in are rares that aren't available in the states..
    Yes, there would be absolutely no point for anything available from existing retailers in one's own country, or most times when available from retailers anywhere. (Except, sadly, Russia, as for us in the US it it so hard or impossible to buy much from Russia.)

Example such compounds that I would be interested in, all available from Penta, so purchase would not need to be for a kg but for price to work out, it would take several people buying:

Jasminlactone*
    Lactone of cis-Jasmone (Bedoukian also has this but I don't think it's available retail)
    1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDROQUINOLINE
    P-METHYLTETRAHYDROQUINOLINE

Or another item which I think no one has retail, Bedoukian Jasmolactone Extra C. I still have some but it's a precious I'd certainly like to have more of.

Again, if one can just go buy from a retailer anyway already, there would be no point.

Always worth remembering when wanting unusual items that Rebekka may have it at Liaison Carbone. (However, I don't know what the shipping situation is, DHL may still have wildly jacked up international fees "because Covid." That prevented my last order attempt.

EDIT: Btw, Exaltenone would be another nice item. I probably have enough so don't need more, but it is something I would really recommend to people to have, yet is not available retail. Rebekka had it for a while, but it's been gone for some time. Which brings up another point with her store: Check in frequently because most items are one-time! Get them while you can.

*Not jasmolactone, which is different and easily available. Actually my interest in commercial jasminlactone has decreased because as it is racemic while the natural is one isomer, it may disappoint rather than be the rainbow unicorn I had hoped it to be.

I'd be interested in group buys too, but only for stuff we can't get from our regular resellers. Unless of course there's some advantage I don't realize.

What I'd love to see a group buy on is quality perfume bottles.
    Jamie O'Brien

Oh! And on seeing "rainbow unicorn" I am reminded:

Z-muscenone!

(CAS 21944-94-5)

Please please please please please!!!!!!!

Aromor makes or did make it.

JDW does NOT have, though they have an SDS for it.

Ingredients Supplier

Hi gang!
    I apologize for being absent on this forum, I used to spend a lot of time here but PSH has been so incredibly busy I haven't had a moment to engage.

It seems I may be of some help with group buys as my business model has basically evolved into more of a "custom order" business, at least 25% of the time. In fact most if not all of the items I have added over the last 6 months were a result of someone wanting me to buy it, and my offering them maybe 200g of it. It then gets added to my website.

The only drawback to doing this has been that everyone wants something different, so I have had to (begrudgingly) say no to some as the cost of inventory can get pretty steep if no one else wants it. Those decisions are currently being made on a case by case basis.

I'll talk to @contrebande to see how we can maybe coordinate something useful to everyone on an ongoing basis.

Christine
    Christine Daley
    Perfumer Supply House - Fragrance Ingredient Boutique
    Find me on Facebook

Text or What's App +1-203-917-0867

JOIN MY MAILING LIST AND DON'T MISS ANOTHER SALE!