Code of Conduct

Thread: To buy or not?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default To buy or not?

https://ca.diesel.com/en/leather-jac...H.html?lang=en

Thoughts / suggestions?

I understand there are / could be much better leather jackets in terms of leather quality, but I really like the colour (and the style / design as well).

Thanks!
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: To buy or not?

I like it! It's streamlined and elegant without being too dressy - it would look good with all kinds of clothes, in all sorts of settings. I say buy.

Basenotes Plus

I like it too. Very stripped-down. But weren't you wearing a very similar jacket in that photo of you in Mexico?

I like it, too. I believe I once saw your photo somewhere on here and you’ll crush it in this. Pardon the lingo.

It’s clean and keeps the corners strong without being sharp. I’m immediately reminded of the Rick Owens Intarsia cut, certainly the pedigree which I (personally) measure this particular style by, albeit that it’s about $1,800 more. The zipper geometry is different too.

My only qualm is the Diesel insignia but that’s par for the course with the brand.

It’s a banger. This shape follows the profile of a man’s body better than, say, a more traditional/old school motorcycle-inspired jacket, the type that Slimane, Balmain, Sandro and the French designers love from
    the US . . . which I also love on the right person but, admittedly, it forces more of a style and shape on the wearer whereas the Diesel and Rick Owens sit close and follow the natural length of the upper body.

F4113CFB-35F5-4AF1-975A-95E23CAA8B8F.jpg
    Currently wearing: Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

Eh. Looks cheap to me. That's just me, though. If you like it, go for it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    https://ca.diesel.com/en/leather-jac...H.html?lang=en

Thoughts / suggestions?

I understand there are / could be much better leather jackets in terms of leather quality, but I really like the colour (and the style / design as well).

Thanks!
    The style is very nice and I do remember your photo from when you posted it on the pick a Scent for this Photo thread, and I think it would look nice on you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

It's a nice variation on the classic cafe racer jacket. I like the color, too. The only thing that doesn't really work for me is the Diesel logo patch on the left shoulder, but that's strictly a matter of personal preference regarding logowear. Yeah, sure, there are similarly styled jackets made of higher quality leather, but you could pay anywhere from US $1-3K+ for that quality—and not get the color you want. If you're not looking to shell out for something like a Buco horsehide in a classic color, then this is a good option.

Dependent

I quite like it! That one thing I don't like about it is the Diesel logo by the left shoulder, but overall it's very nice.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I like it! It's streamlined and elegant without being too dressy - it would look good with all kinds of clothes, in all sorts of settings. I say buy.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I like it too. Very stripped-down. But weren't you wearing a very similar jacket in that photo of you in Mexico?
    Mexico? I think that was a denim jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    I like it, too. I believe I once saw your photo somewhere on here and youíll crush it in this. Pardon the lingo.

Itís clean and keeps the corners strong without being sharp. Iím immediately reminded of the Rick Owens Intarsia cut, certainly the pedigree which I (personally) measure this particular style by, albeit that itís about $1,800 more. The zipper geometry is different too.

My only qualm is the Diesel insignia but thatís par for the course with the brand.

Itís a banger. This shape follows the profile of a manís body better than, say, a more traditional/old school motorcycle-inspired jacket, the type that Slimane, Balmain, Sandro and the French designers love from
    the US . . . which I also love on the right person but, admittedly, it forces more of a style and shape on the wearer whereas the Diesel and Rick Owens sit close and follow the natural length of the upper body.

F4113CFB-35F5-4AF1-975A-95E23CAA8B8F.jpg
    Thanks! Yes this one looks a little dressier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Eh. Looks cheap to me. That's just me, though. If you like it, go for it.
    Thanks a lot. Let me ask - by cheap do you mean it looks cheap in quality/materials or design or just the vibe, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The style is very nice and I do remember your photo from when you posted it on the pick a Scent for this Photo thread, and I think it would look nice on you.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It's a nice variation on the classic cafe racer jacket. I like the color, too. The only thing that doesn't really work for me is the Diesel logo patch on the left shoulder, but that's strictly a matter of personal preference regarding logowear. Yeah, sure, there are similarly styled jackets made of higher quality leather, but you could pay anywhere from US $1-3K+ for that quality—and not get the color you want. If you're not looking to shell out for something like a Buco horsehide in a classic color, then this is a good option.
    Thanks! The colour is the main thing that got me interested. I looked for some of those Buco jackets, they seem a little heavy. I have a Schott Perfecto which is pretty heavy, but I got it in a slim cut so it doesn't look too bulky on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    I quite like it! That one thing I don't like about it is the Diesel logo by the left shoulder, but overall it's very nice.
    Thanks - I'm not the biggest fan of the logo either but I can live without it. I wouldn't be thinking about this if it weren't the colour (of course, I like the cut / style as well).
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Junkie

Looks very good. I have two leathers: one similar to this, by Selected (much cheaper than this) and a biker with a double collar by Superdry.

If I had money to buy the Diesel I might also be looking at Varvatos. Sometimes hard to tell until you get the leather in your hands.
    Currently wearing: Beat Cafť by Jusbox

I like the style and colour too. It's beautiful. The deal-killer to me is the Diesel logo patch - it's terrible.

Thanks a lot. Let me ask - by cheap do you mean it looks cheap in quality/materials or design or just the vibe, or something else?
    It's only a picture, but the material doesn't look top quality. The fit looks good, being a diesel I'm sure it is. Many will say a standard biker jacket is timeless but they're a little passť in my opinion. I had a couple very similar to this in years past. A brown BKE biker jacket and a black one from Express. I like biker jackets but I like the military style biker jackets and different cuts than these standard ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    I like the style and colour too. It's beautiful. The deal-killer to me is the Diesel logo patch - it's terrible.
    The Diesel logo is the only reason one would buy the jacket at that price.

I rarely wear leather jackets, because it's just not cold enough to wear where I live. Very handy when living somewhere cold though.
    Regards,
    Renato.

Basenotes Plus

The colour is the main thing that got me interested. I looked for some of those Buco jackets, they seem a little heavy. I have a Schott Perfecto which is pretty heavy, but I got it in a slim cut so it doesn't look too bulky on me.
    The heavier leather is essential if you actually ride a motorcycle (which I don’t). The Bucos are the real deal. Otherwise, lighter leather works fine. I used to have a Schott Perfecto, but it was a size too big for me so I passed it on. I have a Raf Simons Perfecto-style jacket in lambskin, which is soft, slim, and comfortable, but would be useless falling off a bike! I have a cafe racer and a couple of Belstaff jackets, and get plenty of use out of them even in the relatively mild winters of Southern California. I don’t think there’s anything passť about them: these styles have been around for decades, and will be for decades to come.

I don’t think there’s anything passť about them: these styles have been around for decades, and will be for decades to come.
    So has passť.

I have a Schott Perfecto which rarely gets worn in SoCal but if I were to buy another, cafe racer style, I might buy this:
    9179337_fpx.jpg

Around US $700 at Bloomingales or at RL.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    I feel the same way.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    So has passť.
    Current Tom Ford (it's even green):

TFLJ.jpg

Current Dior Homme:

DHLJ.jpg

Your grandchildren will be distant memories before the classic motorcycle jacket is passť.

You got me. Pstoller and oviatt posted some nice ones. So....Diesel is passe. My bad!!
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 19th September 2020 at 04:03 AM.

Re: Diesel logo

My feeling is that if you are still south of 30 years old this is passable. But after 30 I still struggle with a brand trumpeting its presence.

In my little world the recent succession of designers at Helmut Lang (a previous fav before Prada distilled it to a sub genre of its own brand - a terrible sellout when designers were strong at the buyout game before 2010) kneecapped the brand by appealing to the need to make brand announcements. Sure, if you are in your 20s - and have the parental allowance to boot - wearing a Supreme shirt under that jacket with jeans knocked with an embroidered logo and Nike AF1s on your feet is seen as a right of passage. So many designers have appealed to this age group’s taste for such fashion cum brand debutanting.
    Currently wearing: Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    Re: Diesel logo

My feeling is that if you are still south of 30 years old this is passable. But after 30 I still struggle with a brand trumpeting its presence.

In my little world the recent succession of designers at Helmut Lang (a previous fav before Prada distilled it to a sub genre of its own brand - a terrible sellout when designers were strong at the buyout game before 2010) kneecapped the brand by appealing to the need to make brand announcements. Sure, if you are in your 20s - and have the parental allowance to boot - wearing a Supreme shirt under that jacket with jeans knocked with an embroidered logo and Nike AF1s on your feet is seen as a right of passage. So many designers have appealed to this age group’s taste for such fashion cum brand debutanting.
    To my mind, if one doesn't believe in buying the brand name - like I mainly do - then there are much cheaper and equally good quality alternatives.

The last inexpensive, but excellent quality, leather jacket I bought was one made in New Zealand - at Costco.

On the other hand, my nephews thought my Diesel watch was pretty cool.

Cheers,
    Renato

From a personal viewpoint alone, inclined to recommend this buy

I think this style would suit you perfectly.

Basenotes Junkie

Doesn't say what type of leather is used, so I can bet it's genuine leather i.e. it's not going to last. If you don't mind it and love the looks - go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Doesn't say what type of leather is used, so I can bet it's genuine leather i.e. it's not going to last. If you don't mind it and love the looks - go for it
    Even at that price point?

At that price, it should be full grain but I doubt that's the case. If the jacket is only worn a few days a week, though, a genuine leather jacket should still last 2 to 4 years. I have several that are still in good shape.

Basenotes Plus

Diesel’s website says it’s sheepskin. So, yes, it’s real leather and should be particularly smooth, soft, and lightweight (like my Raf Simons), at the expense of some durability compared to cowhide or horsehide leathers.

Diesel’s website says it’s sheepskin. So, yes, it’s real leather and should be particularly smooth, soft, and lightweight (like my Raf Simons), at the expense of some durability compared to cowhide or horsehide leathers.
    The softer leathers with less durability - like my lambskin Givenchy jacket - have a nicer drape on the body and look better for fashion purposes IMO. Of course cowhide is better if you will be working or riding a motorbike.