Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the most animalic, furry musk that you know of?

Hello everyone!
    I'm working on a werewolf scent. I'm working with some great musks for obvious reasons but I'm wondering:

What is the most animalic, animalistic, real-furry-predator, eat-your-face-off, fangs-bared, roaring musk that you can think of?

And as a sidenote: any molecules that you think might be a must have for a wolfy, predatory scent?

Werewolf (1).jpg

Default Re: What's the most animalic, furry musk that you know of?

Roja Dove Musk Aoud.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Roja Dove Musk Aoud.
    I'm looking for a molecule, synthetic or essential - not so much a cologne in a bottle. Thanks though, I'll have to check this one out.

Basenotes Member

I'm really fond of Animalis from Synarome, though it can take some more dirtying up if you ask me.
    Also, perhaps something like guaiac wood might be useful. It has that edible, meaty, smoky, barbequey thing going on.

Shangralide (IFF) and Tonquitone (IFF) are real-furry, deer musk, strong animalic & naturalistic. Animalis (Synarome) is also good, but more fantasy-like, fresh and bright.
    Filipe L.
    Accords, bases and perfume formulas: https://creative-formulas.com/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by filipeleira View Post
    Shangralide (IFF) and Tonquitone (IFF)
    I second these two. And you may want castoreum and indole. Cashmeran is a wood/musk, and it gets fuzzy the higher it is used. It has been used at 10% and more, you don’t have to go this high, but don’t feel you have to use trace amounts. Make it part of your musk. Geosmin is the smell of fresh soil, might be good but this is definitely below 0.01%. Also, cypriol and/or Terranol are earthy besides the obvious patchouli.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Basenotes Plus

Civet absolute. Siberian deer musk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I'm looking for a molecule, synthetic or essential - not so much a cologne in a bottle. Thanks though, I'll have to check this one out.
    My apologies. In that case, not sure that I can help you with the question, but I hope you find the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    My apologies. In that case, not sure that I can help you with the question, but I hope you find the solution.
    No worries! A wolfy, predatory Fragrance might be just what the doctor ordered to inspire! So thank you!

I'm going to go with Shangrilide and Animalis - but I'd still love to hear from y'all.

Werewolves! Arooooo!
    werewolf.jpg

So you are going for a large, furry, dominating, musky, night scent? Hmmm yes, I can see how guaiac would be good in that too.

Quote Originally Posted by myhaiku View Post
    So you are going for a large, furry, dominating, musky, night scent? Hmmm yes, I can see how guaiac would be good in that too.
    I'll admit, the guaiacs - I haven't mastered their use yet. Everything I do with them comes out not great.

But it may be worth it for this project.

To dirty things up I also recommend para-Cresyl acetate, para-Cresyl Phenyl Acetate and Skatole. Fecal galore!

Set the mood with silvanone supra, then slowly turn up the tonquitone until you feel that hunger in the wolf’s gut.

I've never considered it a musk -- anyway I would say musk is not the predominance of it -- but as mentioned Animalis 1745-3 is a good choice for such a thing, perhaps combined with Exaltone; and if one likes, also as mentioned Shangralide or Tonquitone (most of which's character is not, IMO, from musk molecules, but in the realm widely considered "musky.")

Castoreum tincture certainly could be considered for this.

I suggest when buying castoreum and seeing it offered as an "absolute," check all documentation. These days and I suppose for some time there has been a trend among some to use the word "absolute" for products which aren't really from the named thing.

For the Wolf maw and saliva/breath, I suggest a combination between Natural Ambreine / Myrrh EO / Indole or Indolarome and may be a touch of Ambrinol 95
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

trust others and me: tonquitone is that hungry/wanna kill/wanna eat

what i do not know is how to put an extra edge on the teeth

IMO: urinous/fecal do not communicate lethal predator... unless scat rolling is predatory... which it can be(?).... but i do not think the badass predators feel a need to roll in scat...

You are all amazing. Thank you so much for all of the great feedback.

I took ALL of your suggestions and researched them until the wee hours of the morning and placed my order at the end of that stint.

I had been using heavy doses of tonquitone with touches of habanolide and galaxolide but found that in bigger quantities, the tonquitone smelled a bit too sweet (even without the galaxolide and habanolide). This was an end result that I wanted to avoid. Musks in general seem to have a sweetness to them that, while amazing for compositions, does not a wolf-scent lend. So, I went down the rabbit hole quite a ways.

I went ahead with animalis, shangrilide, castoreum 50%, and civet absolute.

I considered indole very heavily but in the end, fecal matter was not the lean that I was going for. I'm also, admittedly, a little intimidated by the molecule and as a side note, have a hard time working with crystal or powdered materials with my current setup as my scale has scrapped out and refuses to accurately read anything below a tenth of a gram.

At the request of BK, I diluted norlimbanol to 1% and will be using that as well as diluted para cresyl acetate as well. These two suggestions stem from another post.

This is an ongoing project, so any additional thoughts are always appreciated!

not the tonquitone that smells sweet

toss the galaxolide; toss it like three bad marriages ago; only palmolive uses galaxolide these days

Watch out, some here pretend to not understand hyperbolic phrases and might condemn you publicly as telling a lie there.

Agreed with your advice. Last thing needed in this accord is Galaxolide.

(OK, well maybe jasmine is not needed, or rose, or vanilla, or orris, or heliotropin, or sandalwood, or.... sigh... lest I be called a liar too. Perhaps there is a special place in hell for willfully misinterpreting selective literalists.)

xyz
    Last edited by -db-; 22nd September 2020 at 03:11 AM.

How about a little costus for its ‘wet dog’ aroma? Could be a very interesting piece to complete the imagery. You have musk and leather well represented: if you’re going for edgy/dangerous/predator, rather than warm and furry, I’d definitely be looking to dirty it up and add some naturalistic elements. Costus for the wet fur, perhaps a little geosmin, patchouli or oakmoss for earthy, dank elements. Some cedar, or fir balsam for that call of the forest?
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”
    Currently wearing: Eau Illuminée by Delrae

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    You are all amazing.
    have a hard time working with crystal or powdered materials with my current setup as my scale has scrapped out and refuses to accurately read anything below a tenth of a gram.
    I used a cheapie scale that I had problems with as you commented. Until you get a better one, do you have an item where the weight has been calibrated? I use that to put some weight on the scale first, then it usually displays the reading of light weight materials. Lift up and place it back down to verify. It's just a simple solution until you can find better.
    Last edited by myhaiku; 22nd September 2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by myhaiku View Post
    I used a cheapie scale that I had problems with as you commented. Until you get a better one, do you have an item where the weight has been calibrated? I use that to put some weight on the scale first, then it usually displays the reading of light weight materials. Lift up and place it back down to verify. It's just a simple solution until you can find better.
    Hahaha I used to do that too... HARD DIY trick !!
    But unfortunately, it will still be inaccurate unless you buy a decent scale.
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    not the tonquitone that smells sweet

toss the galaxolide; toss it like three bad marriages ago; only palmolive uses galaxolide these days
    HAHA Nice metaphor! I agree with you on Galax is not right for a dirty musk accord perhaps (but Galaxolide and a dirty musk together might be good for SOME perfume... it depends what you are going for).

And Galaxolide is not dead. It is still a great floral musk. Come on DB, don't be a musk snob!

It is a great floral musk. It is just that (to me anyway) it accomplishes that with only 5% or less, and so many perfumes run it at what must be four times that or more.

(I mean by floral musk, "enhancing floralcy.")

I wonder if animalic is in the same way as subjective and broad as leather is, I personally have no animalic musk so I don't know yet

Anyway Ive heard one of the ambers smells like armpits I think it was amber xtreme and karanal (the name might be wrong) smells like cat pee to some

There is some discussion of this in another recent thread which hopefully I'll add to usefully here rather than merely drone on repetitively

In practice one has to (or it would be best to do so) gather how those one would want to learn from are using a word, so as to understand them, and any other considerations really don't matter.

However just illustrating from words themselves:

What is "animal," where does the word come from, what are the connotations? Well there are many connotations but one of them is of having an animating force within.

In that sense, many musk molecules have "animal" quality. They feel like they have an animating force, a sense of life energy. "Animalic."

Unrelated to smelling like poop or pee, though animals of course put out those also and one might use "animalic" on those as well for different reasons.

So far as I know no musk molecule smells remotely like poop or pee, or dirty feet, rancid cheese, rancid sweat or anything like that.

But next, what is "musk"?

It is not just molecules we characterize as musk. Originally and to some extent still though very rare now, it is a biological substance of which only a tiny fraction is musk molecules.

It has some stinky properties that are not from musk molecules.

Some could call those "musky."

Some could call that component of the smell "animalic."

Some commercial "musk" aromamaterials include (in my belief, as I see no evidence of any musk molecule that can do it) non-musk molecules to achieve those aspects. Tonquitone and Shangralide in particular, there may be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    ...don't be a musk snob!
    I’m sorry.

This gives some good insight, I think this is a great example of an odor language barrier.

I've recently had trouble with certain aroma materials that suggest they smell like leather, but when recieving them Ive been disappointed and I can't really blame anyone

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by -db- View Post
    I’m sorry.
    Alles gut. Just a joke, you aren't a musk snob.

However in the book the Perfect Scent, Jean Claude Ellena says he makes his daughter not use detergent with Galaxolide because he hates it. And he brings his own sheets when he travels to prevent from smelling it. A little extreme.... HE is a musk snob.