Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default NEZ 1+1 fragrances (Hongkong Oolong and Folia)

Has anyone tried these?

NEZ, the bi-annual fragrance magazine started last year something called "1 + 1 - Nez Editions" described below:

Nez presents a series of collaborations between perfumers and leading figures from other worlds. Each of these encounters has resulted in an olfactory creation, available as a limited edition with every new issue of the magazine. The collection was developed under the direction of Jeanne Doré, editor in chief of Nez The Olfactory Magazine.
    Last year they released Hongkong Oolong and now they're releasing Folia.

They offer the magazine with the scent & they're also sold separately. Pretty affordable ($35 / 15 ml) for a fragrance from Maurice Roucel who did Hongkong Oolong. I'm not that familiar with the perfumer of Folia, but he did the Naomi Goodsir fragrance Bois d'Ascese which has garnered a lot of positive feedback here on BN.

Color me interested...

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Default Re: NEZ 1+1 fragrances (Hongkong Oolong and Folia)

I love the magazines and both of these fragrances. Hong Kong Oolong is a pretty big contender with Tea for Two imo

Basenotes Plus

I love the smell of oolong tea so I'm looking forward to smelling that one. In my opinion they both seem like perfect scents for the upcoming autumn weather and I don't mind blind buying fragrances at this price point, especially if they're done by reputable perfumers.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    I love the magazines and both of these fragrances. Hong Kong Oolong is a pretty big contender with Tea for Two imo

Does it really smell at all like oolong tea? Have tried a lot of tea scents and it's rare to find the actual scent present beyond the marketing... but I like the idea if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Does it really smell at all like oolong tea? Have tried a lot of tea scents and it's rare to find the actual scent present beyond the marketing... but I like the idea if it is.
    Having not smelled Oolong in a while, I can only say: I think so. But more importantly, the scent is genius because it realistically portrays several elements of tea throughout its life on skin, which is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Having not smelled Oolong in a while, I can only say: I think so. But more importantly, the scent is genius because it realistically portrays several elements of tea throughout its life on skin, which is pretty impressive.

Well it surely sounds interesting, but even at $35 not sure for blind buy. I'll look around, do you know anywhere to get samples or small decant of this?

I own Hong Kong Oolong, blind bought, and found it a really worthwhile purchase. It's got a persistent but subtle floral, green trail. It has a certain "roasted" quality about it that I find in oolong tea, but also kind of a "sweaty" aspect to it that kinds of reads as mild cumin but not quite. I think it's really interesting, and I'm glad to have the sizeable and affordable bottle of a well-done, wearable, but offbeat scent. Folia sounds interesting, though I usually like smelling geosmin on other things besides myself. HK Oolong works well on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Well it surely sounds interesting, but even at $35 not sure for blind buy. I'll look around, do you know anywhere to get samples or small decant of this?
    I know strifeknot is selling decants of the Oolong one on BN. Folia...maybe Tigerlily Perfumery (where they are selling bottles) are selling samples of it?

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nmalakhow View Post
    I own Hong Kong Oolong, blind bought, and found it a really worthwhile purchase. It's got a persistent but subtle floral, green trail. It has a certain "roasted" quality about it that I find in oolong tea, but also kind of a "sweaty" aspect to it that kinds of reads as mild cumin but not quite. I think it's really interesting, and I'm glad to have the sizeable and affordable bottle of a well-done, wearable, but offbeat scent. Folia sounds interesting, though I usually like smelling geosmin on other things besides myself. HK Oolong works well on skin.
    Thanks

I actually think I'm more excited about Folia because of the geosmin smell. I love it.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I definitely think it could very well be one of the "safest" blind buys at $35. It's a great fragrance for anyone who is into tea notes. If you can't get in on the split mentioned above, why not add it to a wishlist on Luckyscent for later? They sell it here.

Basenotes Plus

I will most likely blind buy a bottle of the Hongkong Oolong before I take a trip in November. It'll be my 'vacation scent'.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Thanks all for the recommendation and help getting a sample!!