Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default D&G The One for Men EdT was reformulated early on it appears.

A lot of people may not care for this info, but I found it interesting.

I spend a good chunk of time hunting for original/older formulation frags online; it's pretty fun. I came across 2 sealed 50ml D&G The One's and I assumed they were older formulation.

Not only are they older formulation, they're January 2007 batch code ones... to put it into perspective, this perfume wasn't launched until maybe March 2008. It's over a year before the release date; and even has a 'sample - do not sale' type label on the bottom of the boxes. Apparently these were from a Belk's dept. store that went under.

What's interesting with this label is that it wasn't placed onto the box after the fact; the actual batch code is imprinted THROUGH the white sample label onto the box itself.

Anyways! The point of this thread; I compared the ingredients a bit to my 2010 bottle, and it turns out... there was a reform! Either that or regulation specifying what has to be plainly shown sometime between 2007 and 2010.

Found it interesting. I kind of just assumed it was the same formulation up to 2012 or whatever whenever the '80%' was placed on the boxes.

Any idea why the ingredient change from pre-release to post-release in that short of a time period?
    Notably the removal of Benzophenone-2, and the introduction of Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate.
    Different reference # also.

EDIT:

Wow! So I had this 2008 tester bottle I sent off for my brother, and I noticed it has ingredients on the bottom.

The 2007 pre-release is DIFFERENT than a freaking 2008 year of release bottle!

So I'm thinking possibly the tweak/reform happened before official launch. Crazy.
    2008 bottle is September 6th, 2008. Fragrance was launched in maybe March 2008. Wow.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 6th October 2020 at 04:32 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Default Re: D&G The One for Men EdT was reformulated early on it appears.

Which one do you like better, the 2007 or the 2010?
    CH Men was like an EDC when launched, then Carolina Herrera reformulated it for better and it became a real EDT. Now it’s reformulated again to an EDC.
    I donít understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Any idea why the ingredient change from pre-release to post-release in that short of a time period?
    Notably the removal of Benzophenone-2, and the introduction of Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate.

Maybe the chemical entered any IFRA list?
    I donít understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Which one do you like better, the 2007 or the 2010?
    CH Men was like an EDC when launched, then Carolina Herrera reformulated it for better and it became a real EDT. Now it’s reformulated again to an EDC.
    I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking maybe the 2010. I'd like to wear both at same time to try to decide. It could just be in my head or my nose at the moment, but the 2007 seems to have more of a... leather vibe in the drydown? Like the kind in Cuir Ottoman, that oily/plastic-y type leather. Interesting. I don't recall picking this up in The One before.

I'll wear both eventually!

Maybe the chemical entered any IFRA list?
    Perhaps, hmm
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking maybe the 2010. I'd like to wear both at same time to try to decide. It could just be in my head or my nose at the moment, but the 2007 seems to have more of a... leather vibe in the drydown? Like the kind in Cuir Ottoman, that oily/plastic-y type leather. Interesting. I don't recall picking this up in The One before.

I'll wear both eventually!
    It’ll be nice to know your impressions.

Freed from BN Institution

A lot of people may not care for this info, but I found it interesting.

I spend a good chunk of time hunting for original/older formulation frags online; it's pretty fun. I came across 2 sealed 50ml D&G The One's and I assumed they were older formulation.

Not only are they older formulation, they're January 2007 batch code ones... to put it into perspective, this perfume wasn't launched until maybe March 2008. It's over a year before the release date; and even has a 'sample - do not sale' type label on the bottom of the boxes. Apparently these were from a Belk's dept. store that went under.

What's interesting with this label is that it wasn't placed onto the box after the fact; the actual batch code is imprinted THROUGH the white sample label onto the box itself.

Anyways! The point of this thread; I compared the ingredients a bit to my 2010 bottle, and it turns out... there was a reform! Either that or regulation specifying what has to be plainly shown sometime between 2007 and 2010.

Found it interesting. I kind of just assumed it was the same formulation up to 2012 or whatever whenever the '80%' was placed on the boxes.

I enjoy this kind of technical details. It makes me think of scents like DHI and La Nuit.

If I were to have invested in a few bottles of The One, I'd go after the earliest bottle possible.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

I'd like to wear both at same time to try to decide
    That might be interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I have worn a recent Made In France bottle which is a reformulation and it smelled and performed excellent, doubling up on sprays per spot works since the sprayer is deceiving. Large sprayer that outputs small sprays, two sprays equals a full spray, 6-7 sprays total 3.5 sprays actually worked great for me I even done 8 sprays for a total of 4 sprays to clothing and it lasted and projected nicely.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

It’ll be nice to know your impressions.
    I'll report back

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I enjoy this kind of technical details. It makes me think of scents like DHI and La Nuit.

If I were to have invested in a few bottles of The One, I'd go after the earliest bottle possible.
    Yeah, I like digging into stuff sometimes haha. I generally go for the earliest or early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That might be interesting.
    I'll try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I have worn a recent Made In France bottle which is a reformulation and it smelled and performed excellent, doubling up on sprays per spot works since the sprayer is deceiving. Large sprayer that outputs small sprays, two sprays equals a full spray, 6-7 sprays total 3.5 sprays actually worked great for me I even done 8 sprays for a total of 4 sprays to clothing and it lasted and projected nicely.
    Oh, yeah, I wasn't complaining about performance or even smell when I made the thread. I just found it interesting the ingredients listing was already changed pre-release and no later than 2010 and was sharing and seeing if I could get any info or insight as to why it happened.
    All Hail King Kouros!

This is weird but every fragrance that I ever owned with the ingredient benzophenone 2 has been a powerhouse performer.

Wish I could find one of the OG bottles myself.. as for the topic itself though there should be another thread I made on the subject as well that went through the ingredients and pics as well when it was reformulated. I think its been reformulated a few times now actually going off ingredients

Black orchid is transparent under bright light; however, for non transparent black glass I use a scale to weight the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Bump. More info found. The formulation was already changed by 2008 (release year) compared to my 2007 pre-release bottles.

Crazy!
    All Hail King Kouros!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It's neat to see a "down the rabbithole" expose on a scent most people write off. The obvious thing to notice is no version of the scent ever listed oakmoss, so unfortunately the evernia addicts out there may not have interest in batch dives, but I found the information entertaining.

Maybe the early leather note didn't make it past the control group used for focus testing, or the feedback from counter samplers at D&G boutiques prior to launch made them reconsider it then remove it before full-scale production? Just a theory.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It's neat to see a "down the rabbithole" expose on a scent most people write off. The obvious thing to notice is no version of the scent ever listed oakmoss, so unfortunately the evernia addicts out there may not have interest in batch dives, but I found the information entertaining.

Maybe the early leather note didn't make it past the control group used for focus testing, or the feedback from counter samplers at D&G boutiques prior to launch made them reconsider it then remove it before full-scale production? Just a theory.
    Could be! Maybe a result of further product testing, or a newly announced IFRA guideline, or they realize it'd be cheaper to use something else. Who knows, haha
    All Hail King Kouros!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Could be! Maybe a result of further product testing, or a newly announced IFRA guideline, or they realize it'd be cheaper to use something else. Who knows, haha
    To be honest, a leathery D&G The One for Men would have been less accessible in the long run, and D&G is a house that maximized mass appeal with their mainstream releases, so it was likely removed to reduce any chances of being challenging whatsoever. However, I do like how the EdP has upped the amber factor compared to the EdT, which feels more about the tobacco, tonka, and gourmand elements.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil