Code of Conduct

Thread: Chanel Egoiste

Default Chanel Egoiste

Hello, this is my first post.

I am an older man and quite a beginner in fragrances. I used to wear the original Egoiste (after shave?) in 1990 and have recently aquired some mini bottles which smell quite different, they are all edt's. One mini smells exactly as I remember; rich and with a "ashtray" drydown which I love. I understand that the vintage edt with "eau de toilette" written above "chanel" is what I should try to find, but there seems to be a more modern one also considered nice: a "taller" bottle?

I am looking for a forum thread where the different reformulations and bottle changes are discussed. If someone could point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

Have a nice day!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Definitely check out the vintage perfume forum.

Basenotes Plus

Have you smelled a modern recent bottle of Egoiste? Vintage is for sure nicer but IMO the current is nice as well welcome to Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Definitely check out the vintage perfume forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Have you smelled a modern recent bottle of Egoiste? Vintage is for sure nicer but IMO the current is nice as well welcome to Basenotes!
    Welcome!
    Two very useful posts above. The Vintage forum is here and has plenty of information on current and past versions of Egoiste.
    Also, I agree that the current version of Egoiste is actually quite good and close enough to the original. It's at least worth a sniff at a Chanel counter if you haven't already.

Welcome!

Did enjoy a recent version of Egoiste (tested in 2018-2019).

Frankly speaking not detect back then, albeit personally and subjectively, much if any difference towards more vintage formulations of Egoiste. The very ones you, me and likely many BN contributors, not just to this thread but also highly active on this forum and site in general do enjoy, own and regularly wear.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thank you hednic!

And thank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes, there seems to be tons of good information in the vintage forum, thanks!

No, I have not tried a "modern recent bottle" (but now i feel tempted to order one directly from Chanel..!) There's something completely magic for me in this version of Egoiste, that is why I am looking for advice and info since the other sample bottles I have are so thin, flat and uninspired. (The only other scents I feel as strong for are Cuir de Russie edt and Chanel Pour Monsieur edt.)

Related to Egoiste I have a new bottle of Les exclusifs Bois des Iles and I think it is a masterpiece, I seldom wear it though my wife is starting to enjoy it more and more, on her, not on me.

I have a new sample bottle of Sycomore coming any day now, I have never tried Sycomore, I dont think it's anything like Egoiste but hoping for something smoky and woody? It does have vetiver which I like a lot in my Guerlain but not in Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire (too harsh and "calculated"?).

Again, thank you and have a nice day!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Yes the vintage formulations (Eau de Toillete above Channel) are much better. Welcome to Basenotes
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35