Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Default Re: Bought a new bottle of Eternity after 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I just read a post here where ck scents are described as "shitty christmas presents" that no one wants. I'm not speaking about anyone in particular but it's no secret that these fragrances are not held in high regard like they were back in the day. Thanks
    Ha! My kids have barely worn CK bottles in their drawers from this as well.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Eternity for Men was my mainstay during my late teens and into the early twenties - not least due to my girlfriend back then really digging it. Today it triggers too many personal memories (good and bad) and it really did become too widely popular - but it really was a good designer fragrance and pretty much the only CK I thoroughly liked.

To me, it firmly belongs with those "proudly synthetic"-fragrances that were going for a semi-minimalistic avantgarde-designer aesthetic. In so far, I really can't follow the "very natural-smelling" and "a sunny beach and a dog being hugged by a family member*" descriptions. I found it rather youthful and urban but there was also a certain sense of seriousness and melancholy to it that distinguished it from other popular designer fragrances of that era.

Longevity and projection never were an issue back in those days.

*apart from it being a good fit for Chris Isaaks' "Wicked Game"-video. Must be all those similar looking b/w-ad campaigns that CK were launching, I guess... But also something of that longingly musical vibe, I think. In the end, again, stands that realization that perception of fragrances is entirely coloured by individual associations.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Current Eternity has really opened up.
    It seems much richer and longer lasting now.
    You will get at least 6 hours longevity and it smells wonderful.
    Last edited by Foamywax; 18th May 2021 at 09:36 PM.

Speaking as someone who wore the original stuff tbe current version is pretty wonderful, long lasting and to my nose smells the same.

i got a bunch of vintage bottles and have a newer coty and there not the same . the vintage is better version but you could get away with a coty bottle but it is less pleasing .

Eternity for Men was the first fragrance I had conscious awareness of as a consumer product. I remember Brut on my dad's dresser and smelling people at church, but as a potential consumer, Eternity was the first scent whose advertising made me go, "I wonder what that is." I was 12 when it was released, so I'm sure I was seeing ads in Sports Illustrated and maybe TV Guide? Anyway, by the time I bought my first fragrance, Eternity was everywhere, and I never got a bottle. I picked one up today. I'm considering this a blind buy, since I haven't knowingly sniffed this stuff in 30 years. Marshall's had 100mL of the made in Germany formulation with treemoss mentioned upthread. Now, it's cold and miserable here today, but by this weekend, it should be spring-like enough for me to give this a test drive.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

I picked up Eternity EDP recently have yet to wear it but hear it’s a more mature Eternity. About 5-6 years ago I wore Eternity For Men quite often and recall enjoying it but as of now I feel it would be too basic and I have plenty of other options I’d easily pick over it.

For some reason that I cannot shake my view of Eternity as uninteresting and dull. I know that the bottle design does not appeal to me in the least. Despite that, I very much like it and enjoy wearing it. For some reason though, I have to "force" myself to select it because I would never prefer it over available options based on use and mood.
    Currently wearing: Island Voyage by Nautica

Banned

Very early on I thought that I liked Eternity but then didn't after wearing it a couple of times. Cool Water did a bit better when it comes to these mega popular teenage scents.

I'm wearing this one, a current bottle with treemoss. I sprayed 3x to the chest this morning at around 7:30, and I'm still getting wafts at 9:15pm. Although I had never owned this until the last couple of weeks, I of course knew it as it was everywhere when I was in high school and college - and I guess many places since. That said, there's a difference between that sort of passing familiarity and the experience of a full wearing.

Melancholy is a good word. I believe Turin calls it aspirational, which is a bit too demeaning. It seems ideal for spring, as it grows much deeper in the drydown than it seems when applied on a bright, sunny morning, and I think it might feel too heavy for summer nights. There's a clear mossy presence beginning about 5-6 hours in for me. I like it.

Clearly this is synthetic as can be, although it's kind of funny that Calvin Klein is now a house using real treemoss as everyone else has dropped it. That said, I think if people could drop their baggage on this one - overworn, played-out, too familiar, launched an age of synthetic freshies, etc. - this might get a bit more love, or at least respect. It's well-constructed and quite beautiful IMO.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

When I'm done with my bottle of Platinum Egoiste I will likely buy Eternity to replace it because they seem similar, but I prefer Eternity.

I would think that Platinum Egoiste would be superior to Eternity in almost every aspect but Eternity is still damn good and is a steal. Platinum Egoiste is much more expensive but seems to be in another league . Just my opinion but hell, Chanel may have even copied Eternity a bit. I love them both.
    Last edited by Foamywax; 15th May 2021 at 05:37 PM.

Gosh I remember in 1990 Eternity Cologne back then it was called was some powerful stuff, remember a guy in my office used wear it then it could scent the whole office all day.
    I guess the populous don’t like strong scents anymore.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I would think that Platinum Egoists would be superior to Eternity in almost every aspect but Eternity is still damn good and is a steal. Platinum Egoiste is much more expensive but seems to be in another league . Just my opinion but hell, Chanel may have even copied Eternity a bit. I love them both.
    I agree. The opening of Platinum Egoiste is better balanced, and the woods in he base are much more well-defined. Both are excellent, but I think Platinum Egoiste is more timeless, richer, and is clearly made with better materials.

Current Favorites:

Eternity 100ml bottle goes for A$33 (US$25.7, 21 Euro) down here.
    After reading this thread, I was almost tempted to buy it today just to see what had become of it - but I passed - even if it doesn't cost that much.

With my old bottle of Eternity, after wearing it under a zipped sweater/jumper/jacket or whatever they're called, I'd have to hang it and air it out for about six days before the scent finally disappeared.

Really - if a scent's longevity drops from five or six days to five or six hours - could it in any way really be described as being the same scent?

Anyone reading old posts on Eternity by me and many others would be totally misled now.
    Regards,
    Renato

As I said, I get all day longevity and then some. Before I primed the sprayer, the smell was potent enough that some t-shirts I had in a drawer with the bottle overnight picked up some scent. It isn’t nuclear, but it has more than ample sillage and longevity.

Current Favorites:

I wore it yesterday and it pretty much lasted all day.
    Towards the end the mossy drydown is a bit thin but it's still there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bottle.

Basenotes Plus

I would think that Platinum Egoiste would be superior to Eternity in almost every aspect but Eternity is still damn good and is a steal. Platinum Egoiste is much more expensive but seems to be in another league . Just my opinion but hell, Chanel may have even copied Eternity a bit. I love them both.
    I think these two fragrances are highly similar, but Platinum Egoiste is a tad fresher and has a metallic effect, while Eternity is more smooth and has more of a creamy tone. I think both smell like a very upscale and expensive shaving cream/grooming smell. I would include the fairly recent Maison Margiella "At the Barber's" as highly similar to these two 1990's new-age classic shaving type scents. I could wear any of these 3 and enjoy them, but owning all 3 would seem redundant due to the core notes smelling so similar. I personally would only need to own 1 of these 3 scents, but I don't fault anyone if they want variations on this main theme. If you haven't tried "At the Barber's", you should. It adds a creamier, almost like an egg-cream effect, along with leather. I think you would really enjoy it since you love both Platinum Egoiste and Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Gosh I remember in 1990 Eternity Cologne back then it was called was some powerful stuff, remember a guy in my office used wear it then it could scent the whole office all day.
    I guess the populous don’t like strong scents anymore.
    It's still strong. I wore it the other day- 4 sprays - and the guy sitting across from me on the train changed seats.
    It was monstrous in the 90's but it's still good.

I own Egoiste but never bothered with Platinum Egoiste, as I just never warmed to it. I kept spraying it on my wrists for years in shops, and wondering what everyone else at Basenotes got from it that I wasn't getting. Original Eternity was far better than Platinum Egoiste to my nose.
    Regards,
    Renato

I never liked Eternity and a recent re-visit confirmed my earlier take on this. Similarly, I have never liked Platinum Egoiste (and I love the original Egoiste) but if you love it, go for it! Sounds like you might be better off buying vintage, though.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I never liked Eternity and a recent re-visit confirmed my earlier take on this. Similarly, I have never liked Platinum Egoiste (and I love the original Egoiste) but if you love it, go for it! Sounds like you might be better off buying vintage, though.
    I dunno, OP seems really happy with what he has. Vintage isn't always default superior for everyone just because.

That said, vintage should be sampled for curiousity's sake, just to see what was tweaked and changed since launch. Eternity has always been highly synthetic so I'm not sure what could have really been yanked out for cost, although there will be less oakmoss in current. Also note formulas without oakmoss existed before current, so older isn't better in this regard unless significantly older.

Of course, the whole "the more oakmoss is better" edict that many in vintage adhere to like scripture is highly subjective, and if followed will tell you that a noticeably mossier drydown (beyond what is needed for fixative) makes for a superior formula whether or not said drydown even fits with the rest of the scent. Your taste is wrong, learn to love the lichen, et al.

If this is how OP feels then yeah sure, I guess vintage Eternity is marginally better, as it had marginally more oakmoss, plus wasn't rectified of its atranol. Now I'm just being pedantic though, not that pedantry is uncommon in this hobby anyway. XD

TL;DR, to OP, vintage batch exploration should always be more of a curiosity thing than a prerequisite for "true" enjoyment, peer pressure be damned if you're happy with what you got. People get weird if you like "the wrong version" of something in this hobby, which seems a bit gatekeepery when I see it.

If unhappy with something about current (i.e. projection or an obvious synthetic harshness) and you think an older batch may solve that (like me with Quorum or English Leather), then definitely look for vintage. Some things truly are a "shadow of their former selves" but it's rarer than vintage heads will have you believe, especially with brands like this.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

All of the YouTube reviews of Eternity will lead you to believe that the current stuff is terrible performance wise.
    That's what I was expecting. Yet it's not true at all. It's quite rich actually and they have done a great job with this new formulation. We are always craving the old school beastmode projection from back in the day but I'm quite impressed with current Eternity. I would say Eternity is much sweeter than PE. Current Obsession is quite good too.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I think these two fragrances are highly similar, but Platinum Egoiste is a tad fresher and has a metallic effect, while Eternity is more smooth and has more of a creamy tone. I think both smell like a very upscale and expensive shaving cream/grooming smell. I would include the fairly recent Maison Margiella "At the Barber's" as highly similar to these two 1990's new-age classic shaving type scents. I could wear any of these 3 and enjoy them, but owning all 3 would seem redundant due to the core notes smelling so similar. I personally would only need to own 1 of these 3 scents, but I don't fault anyone if they want variations on this main theme. If you haven't tried "At the Barber's", you should. It adds a creamier, almost like an egg-cream effect, along with leather. I think you would really enjoy it since you love both Platinum Egoiste and Eternity.
    I would love to try At the Barbers but I'm pretty sure they don't sell this line here.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

All of the YouTube reviews of Eternity will lead you to believe that the current stuff is terrible performance wise.
    That's what I was expecting. Yet it's not true at all. It's quite rich actually and they have done a great job with this new formulation. We are always craving the old school beastmode projection from back in the day but I'm quite impressed with current Eternity. I would say Eternity is much sweeter than PE. Current Obsession is quite good too.
    Not to sound conspiratorial, but I'd venture a guess that a lot of YouTubers assume things based on popular opinion and say what they think the audience wants to hear in order to get subscribers.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

There is a YouTube review of a vintage bottle where the reviewer clearly says "stay away from current bottles of eternity that is NOT eternity".
    That is very misleading. At the end of the day why would Coty butcher something that makes them money and doesn't cost that much to make in the first place...?