Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bought a new bottle of Eternity after 20 years

I'll be perfectly honest the coty version of Eternity smells EXACTLY like the vintage. It is so crisp so fresh so wonderful. There is one major drawback. You will not get more than 3 hours from this. I'm sitting here reading older interviews with Carlos benaim on how he created this classic fougere. Calvin klein showed him two pictures : one of a sunny beach and one of a dog being hugged by a family member. "This is what I want" he told the perfumer.
    Carlos Benaim says that the formula of eternity is incredibly simple. If it's so simple why can't coty give it some damn longevity when it's not even expensive to make? How can dark obsession and calvin klein man have better longevity than Eternity? How can this sell for over 75$ at retail?? Here I am thrilled at how gorgeous it smells yet equally let down by the longevity.
    The irony is that I'm also holding a bottle of clinique chemistry-an eternity clone that only wishes it could smell as nice as eternity- yet blows it away when it comes to longevity. We all know that coty bought the rights to all calvin klein fragrances in 2005. I think it's safe to say it's been more or less a fiasco. Flop after flop.. calvin klein man, encounter, reveal, ck all, ck2, ck red, the list goes on and on. Flanker after flanker...eternity summer ,eternity aqua, eternity intense, eternity flame,eternity cologne eternity edp, the list goes on..
    And they cheapen an already cheap fragrance : Eternity.
    Couldn't they just leave that one alone? Damn you coty.
    Sigh.

Default Re: Bought a new bottle of Eternity after 20 years

I recall wearing this one back in 2015 and 2016 very regularly it lasted forever with a modern bottle stuck to clothing haha! I loved the smell of this one it’s blended so well and smells excellent I have not smelled it since a few years ago though. Enjoy your new Eternity bottle excellent stuff!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

I personally never liked this fragrance but glad to hear that the current is close to the vintage in smell for the Eternity lovers. When a company is taken over by another, there are bound to be shortfalls at some point with a fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I too do not care for Eternity much but if I had to get a bottle I'd d seek an earlier bottle over a recent bottle. Enjoy your new bottle Eternity.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

The top notes of the current stuff are wonderful. Very bright and sharp, as they should be. The dry down from the Coty version smells nearly identical to the vintage but seems to lean a bit more into powdery territory.

But damn, only three hours!? I had a bottle of the Coty stuff but I don't remember it being that poor. Then again, I didn't it wear it too often.

The original scent of Eternity for Men is classic and still not outdated, meaning you're not going to clear a room or have someone object to it. It's great. I hate that they released so many flankers of it, and none of them seem to be anywhere near as good as the original. It kind of cheapens the name. Same goes for Curve. Except Curve always had a juvenile look to it, despite being an excellent fragrance, and the successor to Eternity.

I never had curve but I remember it was popular back in the 90's. I have no idea if curve is even being made today.
    I do hope my bottle of Eternity gets stronger but nonetheless , I will be looking for a vintage bottle of Obsession and Eternity.. Although the current Obsession is quite good something is missing.

I feel you, man. I feel you.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally never liked this fragrance but glad to hear that the current is close to the vintage in smell for the Eternity lovers. When a company is taken over by another, there are bound to be shortfalls at some point with a fragrance.
    Hednic I'm surprised you never cared for Eternity. I know it had become very over worn back in the day. I personally find it beautiful, minimal very green and gorgeous.
    It probably had alot more moss back then hence the better longevity. I tried current Escape yesterday as well and it seemed to have better longevity but I find it inferior to Eternity . Very cheap smelling calone monster compared to Eternity. No wonder so many people are spending more $$ get better quality from their fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    We all know that coty bought the rights to all calvin klein fragrances in 2005. I think it's safe to say it's been more or less a fiasco. Flop after flop.. calvin klein man, encounter, reveal, ck all, ck2, ck red, the list goes on and on. Flanker after flanker...eternity summer ,eternity aqua, eternity intense, eternity flame,eternity cologne eternity edp, the list goes on..
    And they cheapen an already cheap fragrance : Eternity.
    Couldn't they just leave that one alone? Damn you coty.
    Sigh.
    I think we can safely say that anything Coty touches their hands on, turns to cigarette paper in terms of value. There isn't a brand they have touched that hasn't been a complete hash-up. It's a shame, because Coty's brand history is quite prestigious and up there in the golden age of perfumery. Now they are about as bad as it gets.

Eternity was one of my first scents ever. In fact, just about everyone was wearing CK back in the 90s. I went through plenty of bottles of CK One and Escape, before getting Eternity as well - although I preferred the former two.

I think the current stuff has been altered to a notably weaker and cheaper-smelling base. I tried the vintage as recently as 2018 from a very generous BNer and the scent did hold for quite a few hours. The memories kept flooding back.

I never were a huge fan of this as I didn't care that much about fragrances when it was popular, at least nowhere near the same as I do today. I did get a new sample of it recently and it smelled as I remembered it. Nice scent. Congrats to a good buy!

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think the current stuff has been altered to a notably weaker and cheaper-smelling base.
    This is my feeling as well. I'm surprised that the new stuff is being praised as just as good as the vintage. I feel like the two are miles apart from one another.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Institution

I'm still a fan also. Congrats

Thanks but I'd rather have a vintage bottle.

I got much better longevity today so that's good news.
    I also wore contradiction and that had quite good projection which I didn't expect..

Aside from all the setbacks, still congratulations and enjoy.
    One of the personal favorite scents from CK would still unconditionally consider and recommend further almost irrespective if vintage or as current formulation.
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Blog Entries

Used to rock this a lot back in the mid 90s, I find it borderline disgusting now. Not even by change in preference, I've smelled vintage recently and the differences are night and day. Vintage bottle from early 90s is so much more dense, and less chemical smelling, it smells more natural. The current stuff is one of the biggest "headache in a bottle" frags I can remember trying lately.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

I had a bottle from back then yes it was more rich for sure.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

What vintage of Eternity for Men are you guys smelling? From the other vintage thread there's apparently three different companies that produced it:
    -Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co
    -Lancaster (?)
    -Unilever
    -Coty

According to that thread Unilever bought CKCC in 1989, the same year Eternity for Men was released. Yet, there's apparently an Eternity for Men produced by Lancaster, and supposedly Coty bought Lancaster in 1996. I'm so confused by this. And the CKCC version is supposed to be the best, and the Unilever is *closer* to the that version. Coty being the most inferior.

I'm asking because I prefer the base in my Unilever bottle to the Coty version but the differences between the two don't smell that pronounced to me. I have to really examine them side by side to start picking up, what I feel, are subtle, nuanced differences.

Is it that most people remember the first year batches of Eternity produced in-house by Calvin Klein? Maybe I just need to wear my vintage bottle more to get a better feel for it. I will say that there sometimes seems to be a beer note in Eternity for Men. Some guy a few years back was wearing Eternity for Men but it had a gutsier element to it, almost like the smell of spilled beer among all that bright citrus greeneness. Whereas my Coty experience was that it was more powdery, inching in the direction of femme almost.
    Recently, I could have sworn my Unilever bottle had that beer element in the middle notes. I liked it.

Anyways, (NPI) to Calvin Klein's Eternity for Men. This was one of my earliest and best fragrance memories. It's good to hear there's still fans of this fragrance, whether it be vintage or reformulation.

This is the YouTube review that finally convinced me to seek out vintage: SuperDacob-Vintage Eternity for Men Review

Thanks but I'd rather have a vintage bottle.
    Don't go down the rabbit hole of purchasing vintage bottles. I did that and have bottles of all the distributors. EFM just does not age well. All of them turned in the bottle and are unwearable.

EFM is my all time favorite and yes it is not the same as the original. I just try to enjoy the current formulation which is still pleasant. Agreed, it just has no sillage or longevity.
    Wish Coty would work on that problem. Who wants to spend money and get 10 minutes of enjoyment?

I've said this before in other threads, but has anyone tried the Eternity EDP? Foamy? It was enough of the Eternity smell but a little more modern and smoothed out to me. I enjoy it much more that the current version of Eternity EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    What vintage of Eternity for Men are you guys smelling? From the other vintage thread there's apparently three different companies that produced it:
    -Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co
    -Lancaster (?)
    -Unilever
    -Coty

According to that thread Unilever bought CKCC in 1989, the same year Eternity for Men was released. Yet, there's apparently an Eternity for Men produced by Lancaster, and supposedly Coty bought Lancaster in 1996. I'm so confused by this. And the CKCC version is supposed to be the best, and the Unilever is *closer* to the that version. Coty being the most inferior.

I'm asking because I prefer the base in my Unilever bottle to the Coty version but the differences between the two don't smell that pronounced to me. I have to really examine them side by side to start picking up, what I feel, are subtle, nuanced differences.

Is it that most people remember the first year batches of Eternity produced in-house by Calvin Klein? Maybe I just need to wear my vintage bottle more to get a better feel for it. I will say that there sometimes seems to be a beer note in Eternity for Men. Some guy a few years back was wearing Eternity for Men but it had a gutsier element to it, almost like the smell of spilled beer among all that bright citrus greeneness. Whereas my Coty experience was that it was more powdery, inching in the direction of femme almost.
    Recently, I could have sworn my Unilever bottle had that beer element in the middle notes. I liked it.

Anyways, (NPI) to Calvin Klein's Eternity for Men. This was one of my earliest and best fragrance memories. It's good to hear there's still fans of this fragrance, whether it be vintage or reformulation.

This is the YouTube review that finally convinced me to seek out vintage: SuperDacob-Vintage Eternity for Men Review
    There was never a lancaster version.
    Calvin klein in house
    Unilever
    Coty
    Um I found a unilever bottle it's from 2003 maybe I'll risk it. I also want the all green limited edition from '16 and the 25th anniversary mirror bottle from '14. I find that hard to believe that every vintage bottle turns so easily..
    Honestly though I wouldn't search for a bottle from the 90's. I think the 2003 bottle will be fine.
    To be honest the new bottle is not bad ..
    I'm on a calvin klein binge I'll be getting Escape and Truth this week as well. The Eternity body spray is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessionForMen View Post
    Don't go down the rabbit hole of purchasing vintage bottles. I did that and have bottles of all the distributors. EFM just does not age well. All of them turned in the bottle and are unwearable.

EFM is my all time favorite and yes it is not the same as the original. I just try to enjoy the current formulation which is still pleasant. Agreed, it just has no sillage or longevity.
    Wish Coty would work on that problem. Who wants to spend money and get 10 minutes of enjoyment?
    I got 5 hours yesterday that's not bad. The night I wrote about how disappointed I was I had just opened it.
    I'm letting it breathe a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I've said this before in other threads, but has anyone tried the Eternity EDP? Foamy? It was enough of the Eternity smell but a little more modern and smoothed out to me. I enjoy it much more that the current version of Eternity EDT.
    I'm not too excited about it and it seems fishy they would come out with an edp now. If it was the same formula as the edt I would pounce on it. I will give it a shot though.
    How similar is it to the edt?

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I tried it. The opening was different but had like 20% of the original top notes of Eternity lurking in there. Then it got spicy in the middle, which may be from the nutmeg note. I wasn't feeling it at this point, and it kind of reminded me of the middle notes of Very Sexy for Him by Victoria Secret. Is there ambroxan in there as well? Because it wears heavy like other fragrances with that ingredient, to the point that I felt it was cloying. I don't recall a foamy vibe to it.

I think I'd rather get Abercrombie and Fierce's Fierce to satisfy the Eternity vibe if I didn't want to go with the current reformulation.

I'm not too excited about it and it seems fishy they would come out with an edp now. If it was the same formula as the edt I would pounce on it. I will give it a shot though.
    How similar is it to the edt?
    To my nose, it's there! Not the same scent though. EDP gets softer and sweeter but not sickly sweet to me. You may find it to be a completely different creation altogether. But when I put my nose to the EDP, I smell a softer (but not weak) version of Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I tried it. The opening was different but had like 20% of the original top notes of Eternity lurking in there. Then it got spicy in the middle, which may be from the nutmeg note. I wasn't feeling it at this point, and it kind of reminded me of the middle notes of Very Sexy for Him by Victoria Secret. Is there ambroxan in there as well? Because it wears heavy like other fragrances with that ingredient, to the point that I felt it was cloying. I don't recall a foamy vibe to it.

I think I'd rather get Abercrombie and Fierce's Fierce to satisfy the Eternity vibe if I didn't want to go with the current reformulation.
    Lol. I didn't say it was foamy. I was calling Foamywax 'Foamy', for short.
    You're right about the Fierce similarities. It's there. I'd never really realized it before.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Eternity was never a very natural-smelling scent. Sure, you can split hairs on the differences but as OP stated, Benaim goes on record as saying it's always been a relatively simple fragrance.

Eternity uses a lot of synthetics, and many of them aren't pricey to begin with. Sure, if you look for a difference you'll find one (particularly in the base), but the S.O.I.F.S talk (shadow of it's former self) is a bit melodramatic.

Performance-wise, I tend to agree that older was a total bomb compared to newer, but I don't think newer is weak, albeit the base can cause anosmia in ways the older one didn't. That's more the problem than weakness.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

Hey zealot ! I was gonna pm you yesterday..
    I've been reading all your reviews on everything CK and your review on Eternity is the only one that doesn't compare old with the new. So thanks for the clarification.
    I just want to say to all the CK snobs that in Jan '93 I bought a big bottle of Obsession and a big bottle of Eternity. They were top notch quality-and expensive especially for a teenager. You would smell these everywhere because they smelled great and because there wasn't much to choose from back then!!
    There were no flankers back then and very few launches!! Very different times !!
    You are right current Eternity is not half bad!
    I'm even more surprised at how current Obsession is quite similar to the old juice.
    About the dry down you are spot on!
    First night I couldn't smell it! But I was wearing Escape on my other hand and it's stronger no doubt and was cancelling the Eternity out.
    Second night I could smell the dry down finally..And it's good.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Hey zealot ! I was gonna pm you yesterday..
    I've been reading all your reviews on everything CK and your review on Eternity is the only one that doesn't compare old with the new. So thanks for the clarification.
    I just want to say to all the CK snobs that in Jan '93 I bought a big bottle of Obsession and a big bottle of Eternity. They were top notch quality-and expensive especially for a teenager. You would smell these everywhere because they smelled great and because there wasn't much to choose from back then!!
    There were no flankers back then and very few launches!! Very different times !!
    You are right current Eternity is not half bad!
    I'm even more surprised at how current Obsession is quite similar to the old juice.
    About the dry down you are spot on!
    First night I couldn't smell it! But I was wearing Escape on my other hand and it's stronger no doubt and was cancelling the Eternity out.
    Second night I could smell the dry down finally..And it's good.
    I don't think CK Snobs exist on these forums, because to be a snob here is to have contempt for anything mass-appealing, accessible, or relatively contemporary. You might find some on that other perfume forum though ;-)
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

I just read a post here where ck scents are described as "shitty christmas presents" that no one wants. I'm not talking about anyone in particular but it's no secret that these fragrances are not held in high regard like they were back in the day. Thanks
    Last edited by Foamywax; 2nd October 2020 at 12:18 PM.