Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Freed from BN Institution

Default Today I bought October 2020

Any purchases made and/or any planned purchases for the month of October.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Default Re: Today I bought October 2020

I am awaiting samples of Chloe edp and Cuir Beluga (Guerlain)
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Between two pine trees

I bought Parfum d’Empire Eau de Gloire, a lovely, 80s-style mossy woods fragrance. It’s similar in feel to Tom Ford Private Blend Vert des Bois, but not as sweet and not as smoky. Eau de Gloire is brighter/more citric and a bit leathery.

EdG cants masculine, but I love it!

Also, it was a completely blind buy, which I haven’t done for 9 or 10 years. But I had a chance to get my hands on a 100ml round-cap bottle, which reportedly had been reformulated only once since 2003, versus the new 50ml bottle with updated design/packaging, which may have also included a second reformulation. So i just grabbed it.

It’s turned out well even though it is similar to Vert des Bois which I already own. They’re different enough to enjoy both!

I'm awaiting 6 Luckyscent samples and a mini of Balenciaga Le Dix.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I bought Parfum d’Empire Eau de Gloire, a lovely, 80s-style mossy woods fragrance.

Congrats and enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sillage Monster

I bought Parfum d’Empire Eau de Gloire, a lovely, 80s-style mossy woods fragrance. It’s similar in feel to Tom Ford Private Blend Vert des Bois, but not as sweet and not as smoky. Eau de Gloire is brighter/more citric and a bit leathery.

Also, it was a completely blind buy, which I haven’t done for 9 or 10 years. But I had a chance to get my hands on a 100ml round-cap bottle, which reportedly had been reformulated only once since 2003, versus the new 50ml bottle with updated design/packaging, which may have also included a second reformulation. So i just grabbed it.

It’s turned out well even though it is similar to Vert des Bois which I already own. They’re different enough to enjoy both!

I just love a good blind buy, especially a well researched one or one from a reliable house. Sometimes I tend to overanalyze when testing and just need to take the plunge. For me, blind buying is a good way to get out of a perfume rut and add something a little different to my collection. Congratulations on your successful purchase!
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Hypnôse by Lancôme

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I am awaiting samples of Chloe edp and Cuir Beluga (Guerlain)
    Cuir Beluga is wonderful, hope you'll like it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I'm just getting started and I've not gotten into anything niche yet - so forgive me if my purchases are pedestrian. This month I am placing a few orders. I'm ordering Mon Guerlain, Bon Bon, a full size of Jazz Club (I only have a travel size right now), I Don't Need a Prince By My Side to Be a Princess, and I want to try YSL Libre.

Welcome to Basenotes, SKMDC!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
    I'm just getting started and I've not gotten into anything niche yet - so forgive me if my purchases are pedestrian. This month I am placing a few orders. I'm ordering Mon Guerlain, Bon Bon, a full size of Jazz Club (I only have a travel size right now), I Don't Need a Prince By My Side to Be a Princess, and I want to try YSL Libre.
    Congrats and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Welcome, SKMDC! The only one of those I’m familiar with is Mon Guerlain. I wear the edp and I think it’s beautiful.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Sillage Monster

I'm another fan of Mon Guerlain.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your new purchases.

I couldn’t sleep, and I am medicating. Essenza is open and dangerous 24/7. I bought
    Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Ormonde Jayne Vanille d’Iris

Heeley Zeste de Gingembre

Profumum Roma Soavissima

And Parfumerie Generale Aomassai
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    current avatar: the incomparable Gary Numan ❤️❤️❤️
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

Welcome aboard SKMDC Congrats on these purchases, hope you enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post

I couldn’t sleep, and I am medicating. Essenza is open and dangerous 24/7. I bought

Profumum Roma Soavissima

Congrats on your latest bottles. Iris Poudre is nice pick from Malle. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of Vanille d’Iris.

Sillage Monster

Today, I blind bought Sisley Eau de Champagne.

Between two pine trees

SKMDC, welcome aboard! Enjoy your purchases!

Thanks, hednic and Trilby Lark! Hednic, my iPhone tried to autocorrect your name to “genius!”

Trilby, you’ll have to let us know how your blind buy turned out. I love your take on how they can energize.

Khanada, you picked up some lovely bottles! I was really impressed by Zeste de Gingembre, and Aomassai is one of my all-time favorites from Parfumerie Generale - a gorgeous woody gourmand. Essenza *is* dangerous. I’ve actually programmed a calendar reminder for their Tuesday flash sales!

I will soon be posting a few more things here. David recently got a bottle of vintage Giorgio for men, and it sort of opened up a small rabbit hole for me.

Profumum Roma Soavissima

That's quite a haul, khanada! It should keep you busy for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post

A beautiful crisp, green and exhilarating scent! I hope and trust it will be a winner for you, Trilby.

Basenotes Plus

Black Orchid parfum 2020 edition 50 ml. Although I’m not one for bottle appearance I do appreciate how well the gold bottle will play off against the BO EDP and Noir Pour Femme on my shelf.
    Currently wearing: Arabians Tonka by Montale

Between two pine trees

Here’s what I found in that “near-vintage” rabbit hole I fell down last weekend:

(1) 80s-vintage YSL Ysatis - the fragrance that launched Dominique Ropion’s career in fragrance. This was a new, unsprayed bottle, and it’s held up very well. Beautiful.
    (2) Paloma Picasso EDT - unfortunately, this is the only one of the purchases that has gone “off.” A bit of the base is in good shape, but the rest is just kind of a watery disaster.
    (3) Rochas Femme - not sure of the vintage, but it looks like 50s or maybe 60s. The top notes are largely gone, but what remains are gorgeous woods, cumin, benzoin, and civet. I’m thrilled to have finally smelled this one.
    (4) Hermès Equipage - no idea of the vintage, but the carnation, vetiver, and patchouli are still going strong.
    (5) Cartier Panthere Parfum - wow. Now THAT is a symphonic floral. Unlike Joy parfum, Panthere is much more “me.” I’m glad I found even a mini.

I do seem to prefer more modern fragrances — maybe post-WWII? Definitely 70s and 80s.

Was very curious about Kerosene's Unknown Pleasures due to this site so did a blind buy!

Also bought Two Souls Touching by Neil Morris!
    Loves: florals (of all kinds), gourmands, orientals, chypres, and animalic fragrances

Current Fragrance Obsessions: The Moon, Moth, Jubilation 25, MEM, Absolue Pour Le Soir, Tabac Rose, Oellieres, Magenta Pop, Love

Current Note Obsessions: marshmallow

Currently wearing: Paris*LA by A Lab on Fire

SKMDC, welcome aboard! Enjoy your purchases!

Thanks, hednic and Trilby Lark! Hednic, my iPhone tried to autocorrect your name to “genius!”

Trilby, you’ll have to let us know how your blind buy turned out. I love your take on how they can energize.

Khanada, you picked up some lovely bottles! I was really impressed by Zeste de Gingembre, and Aomassai is one of my all-time favorites from Parfumerie Generale - a gorgeous woody gourmand. Essenza *is* dangerous. I’ve actually programmed a calendar reminder for their Tuesday flash sales!

I will soon be posting a few more things here. David recently got a bottle of vintage Giorgio for men, and it sort of opened up a small rabbit hole for me.
    LOL!! Me too—I have reminders set for both Monday and Tuesday.

Zeste de Gingembre knocked my socks off. I adore ginger, I keep fancy ginger beer (Fever Tree usually) in my fridge at all times, and I love crystallized ginger, as well as the fresh bite of ginger root straight from the Microplane zesting tool. I have smelled a lot of so called ginger accords and none has impressed me, not until this one. It has the spicy but soothing burn, of the real thing. I crave ginger when I feel under the weather and I imagine the perfume will have similar healing properties.

Congrats on your 70s/80s hail. Ysatis was my sig back in college, and I still wear vintage, especially in spring and early summer. Paloma P is one of the great Rose chypres, and I hope your bottle comes around. Sometimes they do, after I leave them alone for a while. Vintage pure parfum is not hard to find either, and worth picking up mini or three

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    You’re going to love it. It seems very much your style, neither feminine nor masculine, and “drawn from life” but not too literally. It is robust enough to wear all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    That's quite a haul, khanada! It should keep you busy for quite a while.
    I think I am set, until probably around Christmastime. I went there, looking for Musc Maori, which they do not have. I wish their inventory were more comprehensive, although I also understand why they don’t stock every single PG. I have a nice decant of MM, which I hope will hold me over until then. I am also considering finally pulling the trigger on Like This, because it’s one of the best fall perfumes ever.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats on your latest bottles. Iris Poudre is nice pick from Malle. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of Vanille d’Iris.
    Thanks! Iris Poudre has been on my wish list for a long long time. I have Eau d’Hiver coming, too. I sometimes forget to post my purchases.

Vanille d’Iris is gorgeous IMO. Not a “literal” vanilla, like SDV or Tohita—love those, both of them—and more like a rich iris powder with vanilla and white chocolate. It reminds me of Coromandel, which is one of my all time favorites but with the ineffable Ormonde Jayne-ade. OJ is my new favorite niche house. I am obsessed and it is taking a lot of self discipline to prevent my spending much more than i could possibly afford on every single one of their perfumes.

A Creed Millesime Imperial bottle from 2003
    CREED MILLESIME IMPERIAL VINTAGE 2003.jpg

Thanks! Iris Poudre has been on my wish list for a long long time. I have Eau d’Hiver coming, too. I sometimes forget to post my purchases.

Vanille d’Iris is gorgeous IMO. Not a “literal” vanilla, like SDV or Tohita—love those, both of them—and more like a rich iris powder with vanilla and white chocolate. It reminds me of Coromandel, which is one of my all time favorites but with the ineffable Ormonde Jayne-ade. OJ is my new favorite niche house. I am obsessed and it is taking a lot of self discipline to prevent my spending much more than i could possibly afford on every single one of their perfumes.
    I like Coromandel particularly the EDT. Have you tried Iris Ganache? This one has iris along with white chocolate and vanilla.

Congrats Extreme on your Eau de Gloire bottle . From your description that sounds like something that I might enjoy.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Tip to Myself: Never stay up late and browse around on the internet!

Ended up buying -

Decants (all 5 ml)

Aventus
    Givenchy Gentleman EdP
    Encre Noire L'Extreme
    Valentino Uomo Intense
    CH Men Prive

Bottles

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme vtg. (Made in Italy)
    Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui vtg.
    Charles Jourdan Un Homme
    Krizia Moods Uomo
    Eau de Patou vtg.
    Capucci pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Vert des Bois by Tom Ford