Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Building a minimalist but situationally diverse wardrobe. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    The only extra occasion I can think of is a reserved, special occasion scent, for a gala for example. Commodity Velvet would be my first choice for that. This option could also double as a date scent, and in that case my choice would be The One EDP. It wouldn't have to last long.
    I appreciate the suggestion but would have to sample. I'm generally not fond of rose.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post
    That was a good read! I do like how those two bottles look together. You should limit future potential candidates to how the bottle would look next to those two. That might limit you to... say... Fahrenheit! (Add some orange and red to the black and blue )
    The look of the bottle is definitely a consideration, but it's not the ultimate criteria. I was quite fond of Fahrenheit Parfum when I tried it... Perhaps I will have to sample that one again for consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I'd consider categories again.

You could probably do with a yellow, a blue, and/or a black/brown.

I'd say in particular you could do with something a bit lighter and citrusy - something like an eau de cologne even, something a tad formal, or something like Hermes' citrus line, something for formal or very warm weather wear. That's where I'd look next.

Blue could be something purely ambroxan-esque or a 'dark blue'. Not sure you need this with GIT in all honesty, but it's an idea.

Lastly would be something darker, woodier, leathery, tobacco etc but I don't think it's a necessity with Layton, which is spicy and deep by itself and would cover most situations where you'd want to wear something like this.

So, basically, something retro or old school, maybe a fougere or a citrus aromatic. There are loads of options for that, it's probably the biggest category of male fragrance.
    Hmm... What about Eau d'Hermes? Have you tried that one? I like the idea of combining a fresh citrus with something that could also either be formal or something just to wear around the house. It also might tick off the old school category, but it's not a fougere. I recall enjoying it quite a great deal, especially the warm, sensual dry down. Maybe not the best for hot weather, though? Something blue might also work provided it doesn't wear too similarly to what I already own. I mentioned Profumo for example. I like the idea of a dark leathery frag, but with Layton as my sweet and spicy evening fragrance, I'm leaning more towards the other categories that you recommended for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I dig what you're doing. I keep meaning to trim my wardrobe but time and inclination remain an obstacle. I wonder if something like Royal Oud or Egoiste (vintage, ideally) might round out your wardrobe? I also got similarities between GIT and PE - they seem to rhyme in places.
    I tried Royal Oud and appreciate it sincerely, but don't think that I'll be adding a bottle to my wardrobe. Still need to try Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    What about the days you just want to relax round the house. GIT seems quite fresh and smart for that, and Layton seems too full on evening wear. Your old tobacco oud would have fitted this slot quite well. What do you wear for those low key times?
    I actually have found that Layton wears quite nicely at home relaxing in the evenings. Tobacco Oud may be a bit too bold and "black tie" for this purpose - at least in my mind. As with some of my previous responses, I'm thinking something a little more casual would be great for lounging around the house.

So, seriously considering the following, but happy to add more to the list:

Fahrenheit Parfum
    Eau d'Hermes
    Acqua di Gio Profumo

I really appreciate the ideas so far. What do you all think of these options? What am I missing?

I wish I could do this but there is too much good stuff out there to miss out on.

I haven't tried Eau d'Hermes but I would think of something like Eau d'Orange Verte as a starting point. Chances are it's too light and fleeting - as it is for most people given the price - but I think it's a good reference point in the light, transparent, citrusy cologne type sprays that don't simply smell like 4711.

I don't think I can really add too much more than I did a few weeks ago about sampling/wearing directing your search as much as anything else.

Profumo could easily fit the bill, it's a good fragrance, really good in fact. There might be some crossover with GIT in a broad sense, possibly, but you might disagree.

By the sounds of it you only really need one, maybe two more fragrances for a functional wardrobe. I'd think about practicalities if you're going to reach for GIT for most situations, and then alternate that with Layton as something denser, sweeter, heavier, sexier etc. To me, that's something for the hottest weather of the year - if you live in California chances are you appreciate this! - and so I'd think something like the Miller Harris citrus line, or Hermes as mentioned, if you have the money then possibly one of the very light Creed citruses like Neroli Sauvage as well.

What do you wear to work, or what do you plan to wear long term to work if/when we go back to 'normal' societal rules? I think something that covers both could be cool, while you can still probably get away with GIT for work as well.

I agree that you don't need a darker fragrance and my own search is leading me to believe the pursuit is a forlorn one. I also think that, in GIT, you don't 'need' a sporty or 'blue' scent either so while definitely give Profumo a try if you're interested, if you're not enamoured by ambroxan-centric or 'blue' scents in general, don't stress it; why would you not wear GIT if you love it? That's the question I'd ask, and it seems like the one you've already worked out as well.

Basically, you're looking for something that slips in to a few of the gaps between the two you currently have which will probably amount to 80% of your fragrance 'wears', I would have thought, if you currently wear GIT to work? You can dress up, and dress down, GIT to the point where I don't think you 'need' a fougere or a retro kind of scent; TdH would be a good example of such a fragrance. So why not just go for something super light and cooling? Even a nice aftershave or cologne - if you wet shave and have a certain kind of brand of soap you like, some of the more old school or 'artisan' companies make colognes that do the job, but you could possibly do better by looking at the Hermes as mentioned, or even Creed.
    If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

To keep the bottles looking similar, maybe Bois du Portugal?
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I wish I could do this but there is too much good stuff out there to miss out on.
    I can appreciate the idea behind it - to shun that materialistic drive for MORE, but damn... its like saying I'm only gonna eat two proteins. Chicken, and steak. Well, you're missing out on pork chops, swordfish, lobster, scallops, turkey, salmon, BACON, crab legs, etc etc etc.

I couldn't even narrow my wardrobe down to 10 and wouldn't want to. Life is too short to not live it to its fullest and experience all the joys that it has to offer. I shudder to imagine smelling like the same thing day in and day out. Variety is the spice of life IMO!

What do you wear to work, or what do you plan to wear long term to work if/when we go back to 'normal' societal rules? I think something that covers both could be cool, while you can still probably get away with GIT for work as well.
    Business casual. I'm finishing school currently and entering the accounting profession. I usually dress smart or business casual currently.

I agree that you don't need a darker fragrance and my own search is leading me to believe the pursuit is a forlorn one. I also think that, in GIT, you don't 'need' a sporty or 'blue' scent either so while definitely give Profumo a try if you're interested, if you're not enamoured by ambroxan-centric or 'blue' scents in general, don't stress it; why would you not wear GIT if you love it? That's the question I'd ask, and it seems like the one you've already worked out as well.
    I'm not enamored with those scents in general, but Profumo might just be different enough from GIT. To me, it wears more casually than GIT (both are incredibly versatile, though) and might make for a good daily driver option that works well for those inevitably hotter days in Southern California. It's not super light, but could fulfill the cooling/refreshing category. I also like the idea of the other two fragrances I mentioned for something richer, but as you pointed out, something like Profumo might make more sense from a practicality standpoint, particularly in my climate. The fact that it is relatively more affordable than my other two current bottles is a nice quality to have in a daily driver scent, too.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Life is too short to not live it to its fullest and experience all the joys that it has to offer. I shudder to imagine smelling like the same thing day in and day out. Variety is the spice of life IMO!
    Life is too short to reach for your favorite scents only a few times a year.

Dependent

Au contraire mon ami, I reach for my favorite scents every day. My favorite scents from Creed maybe - Royal Oud, or Bois du Portugal, or Aventus... Or maybe its one of my favorite scents from Chanel that day - Egoiste, or Egoiste Concentree, or Pour Monsieur Concentree, or Allure Homme Sport. Or perhaps that day its one of my favorites from Tauer - Lonestar Memories, or Au Coeur Du Desert, or L'Air Du Desert Marocain. Or maybe a day for one of my favorites from Amouage - Interlude Man, or Jubilation, or Epic Man, or Reflection Man.. Or maybe I feel like one of my favorites from Dior. DHP, or Fahrenheit Parfum, or Eau Sauvage Parfum..Possibly I reach for one of my favorite scents from YSL, La Nuit De L'Homme, or Opium Homme EdP, or Rive Gauche. Or maybe its one of my standalone favorites, like Black #1 from House of Matriarch, or Bowmakers, from DS & Durga, or Blackmail from Kerosene... whatever I reach for, rest assured that its one of my favorite scents!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Business casual. I'm finishing school currently and entering the accounting profession. I usually dress smart or business casual currently.

I'm not enamored with those scents in general, but Profumo might just be different enough from GIT. To me, it wears more casually than GIT (both are incredibly versatile, though) and might make for a good daily driver option that works well for those inevitably hotter days in Southern California. It's not super light, but could fulfill the cooling/refreshing category. I also like the idea of the other two fragrances I mentioned for something richer, but as you pointed out, something like Profumo might make more sense from a practicality standpoint, particularly in my climate. The fact that it is relatively more affordable than my other two current bottles is a nice quality to have in a daily driver scent, too.
    [/QUOTE]

Apologies, I meant what do you wear fragrance-wise, but that's fine. You're in a good career and sector where GIT would fit but maybe a more formal, lighter scent would fit for work?

Profumo definitely makes for a nice alternative as a casual scent, I agree. It's a good fragrance, very hard to dislike, nice and affordable enough without being cheap or nasty. It's also young and sprightly without smelling like you've outgrown it once you hit, say, 35. Good choice. The only thing I'd suggest is that it is a 'strong' fragrance, and for the very warmest weather, that's exactly what I don't want. I'd recommend Essenza as a lighter and possibly 'better' version but I got rid of it as I found it too pungent and too strong even for daily wear, let alone warm weather, so ultimately I wouldn't recommend it.

Those 3 sound good. If you have a hankering for something less strong - because those are 3 strong fragrances - then I'd say look in to light, primarily citric fragrances; or, if you find that Profumo works in the heat, then maybe something like a more fougere or chypre-like base but that's similarly formal-appropriate. Other than that you sound like you're good to go.

I can appreciate the idea behind it - to shun that materialistic drive for MORE, but damn... its like saying I'm only gonna eat two proteins. Chicken, and steak. Well, you're missing out on pork chops, swordfish, lobster, scallops, turkey, salmon, BACON, crab legs, etc etc etc.
    Have you heard of veganism...?

whatever I reach for, rest assured that its one of my favorite scents!
    I really can't argue with that.

Apologies, I meant what do you wear fragrance-wise, but that's fine. You're in a good career and sector where GIT would fit but maybe a more formal, lighter scent would fit for work?

Profumo definitely makes for a nice alternative as a casual scent, I agree. It's a good fragrance, very hard to dislike, nice and affordable enough without being cheap or nasty. It's also young and sprightly without smelling like you've outgrown it once you hit, say, 35. Good choice. The only thing I'd suggest is that it is a 'strong' fragrance, and for the very warmest weather, that's exactly what I don't want. I'd recommend Essenza as a lighter and possibly 'better' version but I got rid of it as I found it too pungent and too strong even for daily wear, let alone warm weather, so ultimately I wouldn't recommend it.

Those 3 sound good. If you have a hankering for something less strong - because those are 3 strong fragrances - then I'd say look in to light, primarily citric fragrances; or, if you find that Profumo works in the heat, then maybe something like a more fougere or chypre-like base but that's similarly formal-appropriate. Other than that you sound like you're good to go.
    I agree with what you said about Profumo, which is why I'm considering it. I'd rather have a stronger scent and wear just two sprays than have something light and short-lived. That was one of my problems with Terre d'Hermes, actually. I'll have to try Profumo again before making a decision; luckily I can find a tester in Nordstrom. Would you say that it's appropriate for work? I think it is super versatile and work appropriate (not oversprayed), just less "classy" than something like GIT.

Dependent

Have you heard of veganism...?
    Hahaha. Touche.

To be fair. I tried veganism for one week last year at the behest of my better half (and after watching the documentary "gamechangers"). It didn't take.

Hahaha. Touche.

To be fair. I tried veganism for one week last year at the behest of my better half (and after watching the documentary "gamechangers"). It didn't take.
    I think it's crazy to be vegan for 365 days a year. Vegetarianism is ok but I couldn't live without eggs. Better yet, just eat meat or fish sparingly and at certain times of year. Ideally when the meat is seasonal. Unless you're an athlete, you don't need many calories, particularly as you age. Food for enjoyment is another matter. But wait...what was the topic again..? Haha.

I agree with what you said about Profumo, which is why I'm considering it. I'd rather have a stronger scent and wear just two sprays than have something light and short-lived. That was one of my problems with Terre d'Hermes, actually. I'll have to try Profumo again before making a decision; luckily I can find a tester in Nordstrom. Would you say that it's appropriate for work? I think it is super versatile and work appropriate (not oversprayed), just less "classy" than something like GIT.
    Fair point, I found I couldn't find any sort of 'sweet spot' with the AdG DNA, it was simply too strong however I wore it.

I probably wouldn't think of it as work apprioriate, no. It has quite a synthetic projection/sillage which screams 'man smell' in quite a sexy or at least sporty manner. GIT is on the edge for that but treads the right side of the line. AdG and its flankers, for me, probably don't: but it totally depends on the vibe of your workplace really. Some places are more forgiving and less traditional than others.

Well, I stopped by Nordstrom today and pulled the trigger on a 75 ml Acqua di Gio Profumo bottle. I'm really enjoying it and think that it could be a staple for casual wear. Hopefully it proves to be a keeper. I'd say at this point in time my wardrobe is pretty diverse for it's size. Maybe a darker fragrance like a leather is in order soon? Something for special occasions? Still open minded about adding one more thing, but I know that I don't want much more than that.

Green Irish Tweed
    Parfums de Marly Layton
    Acqua di Gio Profumo

What else do I need? Maybe a "brown" richer scent as per slpfrsly's classification system.

Funny I also thought of a food analogy reading through this thread (incidentally I'm a "flexible" vegetarian almost exactly as slpfrsly describes).

My first thought was that PrinceRF's quest is akin to what the devotees of Soylent are after. Finding one food that can fulfill all nutritional needs to eliminate the hassle of eating and choosing what to eat. The problem being, this eliminates one of the great daily pleasure in life; reducing a tradition full of culture, variety and pleasure into a mechanical bodily process to be hacked and overcome. This is about as dystopian as I can imagine.

Then I thought, well he also wants only to wear the best every day so maybe it's more like eating steak or lobster every day. Even if you love both it won't be long before you start to hate them or at least find them mundane.

Neither scenario seems very satisfying for me, but I appreciate the striving for simplicity and reduction in an increasingly bloated market. I do agree with the sentiment of only wearing the best, once you know better it is hard to go back. For example, there are many cheapies that are great for what they are, but I have too many fragrances that are much better to bloat my wardrobe with them just because they are a good deal.

But, I also don't agree with the idea that fragrance, or any pursuit, has a definitive end point. Seems like some are searching for THE perfect wardrobe, or THE perfect scent as if at some point they reach the summit and they're finished. For me, being so methodical and goal oriented takes all the creativity and fun out of it. Reminds me of an amusing anecdote... I am a musician and I teach piano and often run into parents who desperately want to quantify their child's progress. I once had a parent ask "so when are they done?" As in, at what point do I go "OK, you've learned piano now, that's it!" This idea is hilarious to me and I just can't imagine having a mind that is so straightforward. I suppose for some people 1+1 simply equals 2, while for others 1+1= well it depends....

So, while I might have around 30 fragrances, I couldn't say just a few rise head and shoulders above the rest. I don't like ranking them and wouldn't see the point anyway. Which ones I am favoring depends so much on my mood, the season, what I am doing that day, what I'm most recently into or getting sick of. Still, I also don't want to be a "collector" who has things just to have them (not that there is anything wrong with that) so I don't want so many that they collect dust and go years between wearings.

None of this is meant as a critique of PrinceRF's quest, I quite enjoy the thread and the challenge he has set himself. These are just some of my musings on the subject.

So in conclusion, I agree something in the cologne genre might fill a void in your wardrobe. Since you want long lasting have you considered Frederic Malle Cologne Indelible? It is both zesty fresh and warm and comforting.

I think it's crazy to be vegan for 365 days a year. Vegetarianism is ok but I couldn't live without eggs. Better yet, just eat meat or fish sparingly and at certain times of year. Ideally when the meat is seasonal. Unless you're an athlete, you don't need many calories, particularly as you age. Food for enjoyment is another matter. But wait...what was the topic again..? Haha.

Dependent

Well, I stopped by Nordstrom today and pulled the trigger on a 75 ml Acqua di Gio Profumo bottle. I'm really enjoying it and think that it could be a staple for casual wear. Hopefully it proves to be a keeper. I'd say at this point in time my wardrobe is pretty diverse for it's size. Maybe a darker fragrance like a leather is in order soon? Something for special occasions? Still open minded about adding one more thing, but I know that I don't want much more than that.

Green Irish Tweed
    Parfums de Marly Layton
    Acqua di Gio Profumo

What else do I need? Maybe a "brown" richer scent as per slpfrsly's classification system.
    You need Egoiste. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Funny I also thought of a food analogy reading through this thread (incidentally I'm a "flexible" vegetarian almost exactly as slpfrsly describes).

My first thought was that PrinceRF's quest is akin to what the devotees of Soylent are after. Finding one food that can fulfill all nutritional needs to eliminate the hassle of eating and choosing what to eat. The problem being, this eliminates one of the great daily pleasure in life; reducing a tradition full of culture, variety and pleasure, into a mechanical bodily process to be hacked and overcome. This is about as dystopian as I can imagine.
    While I respect the analogy, it's not one that I think carries over. I can (and do) go out and spend my money and a variety of foods which do enhance the pleasure of daily life. But keeping a large number of a material good is different than eating something or paying for an experience. I simply don't need or want a plethora of bottles that I'll rarely wear. Similarly, I don't own dozens of shoes and spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about what to put on my feet every day. I have about a half dozen high quality options that have me covered for nearly any outfit and situation (I wouldn't mind getting a few more pairs, though). So, while I like a bit of variety, I'm a strong believer in quality over quantity.

Then I thought, well he also wants only to wear the best every day so maybe it's more like eating steak or lobster every day.
    If you really must use the food analogy, then you have the right idea here.

But, I also don't agree with the idea that fragrance, or any pursuit, has a definitive end point. Seems some are searching for THE perfect wardrobe, or THE perfect scent as if at some point they reach the summit and they're.
    I admit that I may never reach "the summit" but I personally enjoy my methodical process.

None of this is meant as a critique of PrinceRF's quest, I quite enjoy the thread and the challenge he has et himself. These are just some of my musings on the subject.
    I appreciate your thoughts and I hope you enjoy following along my fragrance journey.

You need Egoiste. Period.
    It's now the top priority on my Try List.