Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Building a minimalist but situationally diverse wardrobe. Advice?

It's no secret that I am in a minority here on Basenotes, as I am one who believes "less is more" when it comes to the size of my fragrance wardrobe. I can't imagine having more than a dozen full bottles to choose from; to be honest, I think I would be most comfortable with around 6 or so bottles. I have my reasoning for this personal preference that I've mentioned from time to time on various threads. That being said, I am not starting this thread to convince you to adopt my goals with regard to the fragrance hobby. I've had a number of bottles come and go over just this past year, as I have learned to be ruthless in my judgement of fragrances, choosing only to hold on to the ones that I really love. I'm trying to create the perfect minimalist fragrance wardrobe that is diverse enough to cover almost any situation I can expect myself to be in - for each respective genre/feel, I want only 1 fragrance: the best.

I'll start the discussion by listing what I currently have on hand:

Creed Green Irish Tweed - my dressed up, put-together "any season, any reason"* scent for work or evenings out.
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes - my light fresh citrus, good for a dumb reach on a hot day, or for outdoor activities.
    Tom Ford Tobacco Oud - a big bold tobacco for when I want to make a statement; cold weather beast.
    Tom Ford for Men Extreme - there is something unique about this one; for dressed up evenings/ dates, or when I want to feel special.

Now, here is where you get to express your creative freedom in addressing my question. Put yourself in my shoes: I would like to procure one or two more bottles (I am in no hurry to do so) to meet the aforementioned criterion. Keeping the idea of quality over quantity in mind, how would you approach finding something new? Am I missing a certain situation or am I missing a certain genre that is a must have? What would you recommend for me: something casual or formal? A fougere or a leather? What type of scent would really help to round out my collection? Specific fragrances that you would recommend are welcome and appreciated. Overlapping notes are completely okay, but I don't want to have two fragrances that are so similar in style that I have a redundancy. For example, Creed's Original Vetiver might be too close in style to Green Irish Tweed for a minimalist wardrobe such as my own. Exercise your own judgement - I am asking your opinions and there is no wrong suggestion. Don't pay much attention to price, as I can save up for something if it's really worth it, but I'm probably not interested in some $1,000 oud.

* I have heard this phrase used by YouTuber Kevin Samuels.

Default Re: Building a minimalist but situationally diverse wardrobe. Advice?

Looking at your existing picks I would suggest a beach holiday type fragrance. Something like

Virgin Island Water or Pacific Rock Moss for a sunny feelgood fragrance option.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Bowling Green / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Antaeus / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / Old Spice / Jubi XXV / Kouros

Maybe a
    summer vacation bottle (still life in rio is a fav of mine) and a:
    comfy rainy Sunday fragrance (noir extreme could fill that bill but you chose it for night out/dates) like un crime exotique by PG, tea fro two by Artisan parfumeur or even eau duelle EDP by Diptyque

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    It's no secret that I am in a minority here on Basenotes, as I am one who believes "less is more" when it comes to the size of my fragrance wardrobe. I can't imagine having more than a dozen full bottles to choose from; to be honest, I think I would be most comfortable with around 6 or so bottles. I have my reasoning for this personal preference that I've mentioned from time to time on various threads.
    I think it's great that you know what you are comfortable with.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Original/Original
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Antaeus
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Would certainly include, consider and recommend something like GIT or another Creed classic with a modern everyday versatility like Royal Mayfair or OV in any minimalist but diverse wardrobe.

Would also likely add at least one affordable fresh scent like Mugler Cologne (if there is little or no redundancy with the Creed choice), something more mature and/or formal for evenings and cold weather either on the leathery side like Knize Ten or containing passable good projection oud like M7 or Habit Rouge EDP.
    Plus also a wildcard choice that somehow combines the basics of a fougere, of a near gourmand sweet, of a spicy fragrance style all at once and all in one, while reasonably priced, like Aramis Havana.

Bearing in mind that this is a highly personal opinion, also aware that there are far more inexpensive, more modern and/or diverse ways to find the ideal minimalist wardrobe. Considering that a few basics along these lines (not necessarily with these scents) might include some of the most rewarding and enjoyable classic options.

I'm a minimalist as well. My current wardrobe is right around 13 bottles. Ideally, I'd like to get it to about 6. The challenge is that our tastes often change and novelty often rears its head. I think a traditional fougere might be a nice addition to your wardrobe. As far as specific frags go, maybe something like Royal Oud or New York Intense.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Sillage Monster

I recently discovered Creed Royal Oud and it might be a good addition to your lineup. Very versatile, yet a little special. The Oud is not prominent. It is a mysterious scent to my nose: it reads light and bright, yet it has subtle gravitas. Perhaps you've tried it already.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    The challenge is that our tastes often change and novelty often rears its head.\
    Definitely.

If you ask me I'm not a fan of those minimalist wardrobes when there's every fragrance for a special occasion.

If you really only want to use 5 different fragrances - I personally would add a second allrounder to your Terre d'Hermes, maybe something like Acqua di Gio Profumo, so you can use both in rotation.

Default Building a minimalist but situationally diverse wardrobe. Advice?

I’m a minimalist so I get this. Too much choice stresses me out so I’m always trying to “net down” to my ideal.

What I’ve found is versatility is key. Suitable in 2 seasons minimum.

I would look for something that brings back nostalgia. Makes you feel young again or brings happy memories. For me it’s Chanel AHS from my teenage years. I will never be without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I think you are in a good spot, and buying additional bottles isn't something I'd suggest. I'd say maybe get some 5 ml decants to see how you like it. The ones I love might not work for you.

In terms of notes or genres, I'd say you could consider florals, fougeres, chypres and leathers. However, how much would you actually wear something very novel? If you have a five bottle wardrobe, you might want to get something that you would wear a lot. I would say that maybe you are missing a fresh, shower-gel sort of perfume, unless you dislike that genre.
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think you are in a good spot, and buying additional bottles isn't something I'd suggest.
    Something to consider. I'm taking my time.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I applaud the Prince for applying such a strict protocol. Admirable. But at the same time, man, there are dozens if not more that are amazing and would love to have in my wardrobe.
    Although I think it's somewhat limiting, keeping a minimalist approach to anything is usually a good thing. The time you'd have spent looking at endless fragrances could be applied to more productive activities. But no one said you can't sample to your heart's content!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    But no one said you can't sample to your heart's content!
    True!

piney

Your attitude and drive is infectious Prince, and we all salute you. You have to work with what your comfortable with, whatever and however many it may be. But based upon your wardrobe, adding 1 more, and you want quality over quantity, my recommendation is one of the best leathers available:

Roja Dove's Diaghilev

images.jpeg

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I think Eau Sauvage Parfum 17 would be a good addition for you, Prince.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

How about a nice barbershop fougere.

A modern one like INVASION BARBARE or maybe PLATINUM EGOISTE
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Dependent

Your collection needs Royal Oud, as several others have said. In my ~50 bottle collection, its far and away my most worn, and its not even close.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Your collection needs Royal Oud, as several others have said. In my ~50 bottle collection, its far and away my most worn, and its not even close.
    This will definitely make the short list.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Choose something that lasts at least 8 hours, with moderate projection. It shouldn't have too much sweetness, freshness, or spiciness, but should be balanced.

Basenotes Plus

Azzaro Pour Homme-1.jpg

Azzaro pour homme....timeless and good for any time of year

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Basenotes Junkie

I would consider myself a minimalist.....a minimalist with a selection. The difference might be you sound like your mid 20's as opposed to me who is 52, so I've had more time to fall in love with more frags over the years. Being that I'm "old" I have my bottles that I have for nostalgic reasons but I still wear though not as frequent. I have some that might not be as wearable IMO but they just smell so damn good I couldn't imagine not having, but I still wear them on odd occasions or a rainy day type thing.

I think FWVagabond suggestion of 5ml decants is where it's at. It's nice to have fragrances that you liked but didn't appeal to you at the time that might appeal to you later as far as being bottle worthy. Right now you have three different houses that are excellent. Hermes, Creed and Tom Ford. If you haven't already, I'd explore thoroughly within those houses. Hermes Equipage, Rocabar, Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver, TdH Vetiver or Eau Tres Fraiche. All your Creeds and Tom Fords.
    I like the suggestion of Royal Oud or another being Bel Ami(leather/formal) to round out your collection. Even better would be Tauer L'oudh Maybe try more heavy citrus based fragrances like Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte for example since I believe you have said you're in SoCal. All the bottles you seen the other day I purchased as backups were for warm days up here in NorCal.

Nothing wrong with being a minimalist or a collector....... or some random dude that thinks he's a minimalist with 58 bottles and a ton of decant/samples.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    so I've had more time to fall in love with more frags over the years.
    I have to remember that!
    Very good answer when someone asks me again why I need so many different perfumes.

Basenotes Institution

As you mentioned, Original Get over is a nice choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Looking at your existing picks I would suggest a beach holiday type fragrance. Something like

Virgin Island Water or Pacific Rock Moss for a sunny feelgood fragrance option.
    Virgin Island Water would be ideal for a fun scent. This or Millesime Imperial I would recommend.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I would add a classic into the group something like Chanel Egoiste/Antaeus or Guerlain Derby or Dior Jules/Fahrenheit or Hermes Bel Ami.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Maybe a sandalwood like
    Tam Dao
    Heritage
    Egoiste
    CdG Wonderwood/oud

Royal Oud would overlap in usage with Terre, otherwise id recomend that too.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Zizan by Ormonde Jayne

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    ...I think I would be most comfortable with around 6 or so bottles...[/SIZE]
    ...planning a collection with only patchoulis with Santa Maria Novella's Patchouli as my go-to / signature scent: might be something for you?
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Franck Boclet

An incense: By Kilian Incense Oud
    A leather: Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque/ Hermès Bel Ami/ Tom Ford Tuscan Leather/ Chanel Antaeus (in this category it’s hard to mention just one since the spectrum of leather fragrances is a bit broad)
    A fresh out of the common place: Cartier Déclaration
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast