Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Similar to dry down of Jacomo

Time will tell how this performs in deep winter, yet I'm a little overwhelmed by the clove. Love the dry down
    Anything very similar to the dry down of Jacomo?
    Many thanks!

Default Re: Similar to dry down of Jacomo

RL Polo Modern Reserve is a bit in the same range imo......but the Jacomo has more of a smokey vibe to me.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Roger & Gallet Open!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Roger & Gallet Open!
    Open Black is more similar imo then the regular Open.
    (we are talking about Jacomo de Jacomo, right?)
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Ah yes my bad, Jacomo de Jacomo
    Honestly I didn't think Open at all ( soapy tobaccy I get), Black perhaps?
    Thanks folks!

Basenotes Plus

Jacomo is such a stark and dry beauty, the only two I can think of similar in the dry down are Polo Green and Bogart Signature.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Ah yes my bad, Jacomo de Jacomo
    Honestly I didn't think Open at all ( soapy tobaccy I get), Black perhaps?
    Thanks folks!
    Are we talking 'bout vintage or current Jacomo?

Open has the same kind of dry lavender thing current Jacomo does.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Open Black
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

How redundant do you guys think it would be to own both Jacomo de Jacomo and Open (or Open Black), in current formulations?

I've got a blind bought Open Black coming in the mail, based on how impressed I was with Open. And naturally, now I'm itching for Jacomo de Jacomo too, which would again have to be a blind buy (while at the same time really wanting to limit my spending, haha).
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

Apart from further Open flankers in addition to Black (maybe White, especially if available at good price as this one happens to be available currently where I live), maybe also just another Jacomo like but not limited to Rouge and/or Silences
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Tom Ford Noir Anthracite is an option.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Joint by Roccobarocco

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    How redundant do you guys think it would be to own both Jacomo de Jacomo and Open (or Open Black), in current formulations?

I've got a blind bought Open Black coming in the mail, based on how impressed I was with Open. And naturally, now I'm itching for Jacomo de Jacomo too, which would again have to be a blind buy (while at the same time really wanting to limit my spending, haha).
    Wait until you can find a vintage bottle of Jacomo. The current isn't terrible, but the vintage is definitely worth the wait IMO.

1553_635932744298c21955d0ae1a0d7e821a_jacomo_de_jacomo.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

How "black" or spicy (as in dark/warm/smoky spicy) is the current formulation of JdJ?

I'm asking because I just received my Open Black, which to my surprise doesn't smell particularly BLACK at all. To me it's bitter-green, porous/airy (vs. dense), with some tobacco and soap. I love it already but I wouldn't call it spicy or smoky. Not in the least harsh.

So once again, I'm back to wondering whether Jacomo de Jacomo (current formulation) would be a redundant purchase after all. Because I'm guessing it must be much smokier (at least in the opening) and as such reasonably different from Open Black. Then again, this thread was specifically about the DRY DOWN of JdJ, lol.
    My Most Worn by Decade

The current formulation of JDJ is aggressively dry with an aggressive, harsh faceful-of-dry-clove opening.

The opening of the original is gentler and more rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    The current formulation of JDJ is aggressively dry with an aggressive, harsh faceful-of-dry-clove opening.
    I love dry, but this sounds like something I would want to "experience" rather than wear. I don't mind blind buys at the price of my Bogarts and Roger & Gallets, but JdJ being close to 40 euros, I'm more hesitant to gamble.
    My Most Worn by Decade

I'd say the opening of current JdJ is not that harsh, although you do need to enjoy cloves and smoke.
    I find it a very easy wear; one of my favourites.
    'Colourwise' it makes me think of ashy grey or charcoal, not black.

CdG Black might be an alternative, but that to me seems 'very dark brown'. Also an easy wear despite reputation/name.
    Epiphany to Candlemas rotation of incense, iris, leather, heliotrope, smoke, cold, green : CdG Black, Avignon, Zagorsk; Jacomo de Jacomo, GGA, Etro Gomma, Bottega Veneta pH EdT, Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Infusion d'Iris EdP; Etro Heliotrope. Sampling Hermes Bel Ami, Hiris, Eau de Gentiane Blanche; LAVS, Cardinal, No19 Poudre, Papillon Angelique and Anubis.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

I love dry, but this sounds like something I would want to "experience" rather than wear. I don't mind blind buys at the price of my Bogarts and Roger & Gallets, but JdJ being close to 40 euros, I'm more hesitant to gamble.
    I picked up mine from FragX - $20 ish delivered.

Open Black and JdJ are different animals to me - lol yep I snaffled Open B as well. Actually lol I think it was from frag x too - again $20 ish delivered.
    Open Black I aintgot me head round yet - get me some Or Black from the Opening, Some waftage of Bogart Signature, VCAPH and Pour Lui - but it doesnt go in any of these directions fully - kinda mute best hits put together. That's prolly harsh - judging from the perspective of the above names - but that what I got from it - Still opening up - didn't get any of the original straight up - seems to be blooming or rounding out.

Gotta find the right application for JdJ methinks - under clothing - so as not to be overwhelmed by the rollicking clove n smoke. It feels hot when it touches the skin. Dry off is smashing - yet feels like after the initla bang the rest is a bit of a fizzle. (Perhaps bose fatigue from the opening)

Worth trying!!

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    I'd say the opening of current JdJ is not that harsh, although you do need to enjoy cloves and smoke.
    I find it a very easy wear; one of my favourites.
    'Colourwise' it makes me think of ashy grey or charcoal, not black.

CdG Black might be an alternative, but that to me seems 'very dark brown'. Also an easy wear despite reputation/name.
    Ps. I do actually take interest your frags, likes and time period rotations. I'm like this "geezuz" got good taste man. Ballin' with the JdJ and other smash hits. Aye

FWIW, I LOVE CdG Black! I'd imagine it to be sweeter/less dry than JdJ though (?).
    My Most Worn by Decade

FWIW, I LOVE CdG Black! I'd imagine it to be sweeter/less dry than JdJ though (?).
    Hmmm, they're pretty close, and if anything I find the opening of JdJ marginally less dry than Black. The clove (is there camphor in cloves ?) note lightens JdJ, and in a weird way recalls the violet/hinoki notes of CdG Zagorsk. But as the two scents get to the mid-notes, they reverse, and JdJ is drier, more ashy and mossy, while Black mellows and fills out.

Sprayed on card this evening, JdJ is giving me more entertainment, but I know that on skin, Black is every bit as enjoyable, and probably more acceptable to other people.
    If you love Black, and you don't mind ashy, JdJ is well worth a try. I'll wear Black to bed cos it has a softness, but JdJ is more bracing and for daytime. They inhabit adjacent territory in my Wardrobe.

I've not tried Open or Open Black, so I can't speak to those.
    Epiphany to Candlemas rotation of incense, iris, leather, heliotrope, smoke, cold, green : CdG Black, Avignon, Zagorsk; Jacomo de Jacomo, GGA, Etro Gomma, Bottega Veneta pH EdT, Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Infusion d'Iris EdP; Etro Heliotrope. Sampling Hermes Bel Ami, Hiris, Eau de Gentiane Blanche; LAVS, Cardinal, No19 Poudre, Papillon Angelique and Anubis.

Hmmm, they're pretty close, and if anything I find the opening of JdJ marginally less dry than Black. The clove (is there camphor in cloves ?) note lightens JdJ, and in a weird way recalls the violet/hinoki notes of CdG Zagorsk. But as the two scents get to the mid-notes, they reverse, and JdJ is drier, more ashy and mossy, while Black mellows and fills out.

Sprayed on card this evening, JdJ is giving me more entertainment, but I know that on skin, Black is every bit as enjoyable, and probably more acceptable to other people.
    If you love Black, and you don't mind ashy, JdJ is well worth a try. I'll wear Black to bed cos it has a softness, but JdJ is more bracing and for daytime. They inhabit adjacent territory in my Wardrobe.

I've not tried Open or Open Black, so I can't speak to those.
    Ouch, it's getting very hard to resist blind buying JdJ after reading this... Zagorsk happens to be the other Comme des Garcons I really love!
    My Most Worn by Decade

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Ps. I do actually take interest your frags, likes and time period rotations. I'm like this "geezuz" got good taste man. Ballin' with the JdJ and other smash hits. Aye
    Hey, Ifti ! Good to see you enjoying JdJ. Seasonal greetings, mate !

ETA : agree with the suggestion above to try TF Noir Anthracite; it's the shiny black coal fire to JdJ's ashy peat.

Hey, Ifti ! Good to see you enjoying JdJ. Seasonal greetings, mate !

ETA : agree with the suggestion above to try TF Noir Anthracite; it's the shiny black coal fire to JdJ's ashy peat.
    Tidy! Thanks from "daaan saaaf init" top craic.
    Didnt think I'd be interested in this area or frags brought up in this thread. Always glanced over, I feel JdJ is gateway... baby steps with anthracite and CdG stuff me finks!
    Oh and the quirky darn things cdg puts out

Thanks for your input everyone! I couldn't resist anymore so I ordered a bottle of Jacomo de Jacomo (current).
    My Most Worn by Decade

Thanks for your input everyone! I couldn't resist anymore so I ordered a bottle of Jacomo de Jacomo (current).
    Pretty sure you'll enjoy it, looking at your Wardrobe - do let us know your impressions.

@ ifti : TF Anthracite can/could be found on the bay as samples/decants; also a surprising number of CdGs, including Black, if you search specifically.
    In the Before Times, a trip to HoF would have sorted you for trying the (puig) CdG pebble bottles

@ ifti : TF Anthracite can/could be found on the bay as samples/decants; also a surprising number of CdGs, including Black, if you search specifically.
    In the Before Times, a trip to HoF would have sorted you for trying the (puig) CdG pebble bottles
    Sweet appreciate that thumbzup

Pretty sure you'll enjoy it, looking at your Wardrobe - do let us know your impressions.

I think this is a subtle sneaky weaky grower - has silently crept up to top of this months most worn.

Something about it - and wow in around freezing temps - it's the knees.

Hope you enjoy!

OK, I got my blind-bought bottle of current Jacomo de Jacomo yesterday.

I'm wearing it now, my impressions:
    - Quite different from what I expected; especially the opening doesn't really resemble anything else in my wardrobe, so it was not a redundant purchase
    - I don't find the opening harsh at all - maybe "smooth" would be an exaggeration but I get a warm, pleasant almost buttery-balmy impression. I guess that's how my nose reads the "rubber tire" accord
    - I get a surprisingly (?) strong resemblance to Yatagan in the spicy opening, which comes across as almost non-sweet gourmand but not in an off-putting manner like in Yatagan. Later on the slight sweetness brings some distant (but less stuffy) associations to Jaguar for Men.
    - The opening fades quickly but the scent itself seems to linger satisfyingly long (I sprayed twice on chest; I tend to prefer a personal scent bubble so I'm not worried about projection). This seems to be one of those scents, which "comes and goes", an attribute I kind of like.
    My Most Worn by Decade

OK, I got my blind-bought bottle of current Jacomo de Jacomo yesterday.

I'm wearing it now, my impressions:
    - Quite different from what I expected; especially the opening doesn't really resemble anything else in my wardrobe, so it was not a redundant purchase
    - I don't find the opening harsh at all - maybe "smooth" would be an exaggeration but I get a warm, pleasant almost buttery-balmy impression. I guess that's how my nose reads the "rubber tire" accord
    - I get a surprisingly (?) strong resemblance to Yatagan in the spicy opening, which comes across as almost non-sweet gourmand but not in an off-putting manner like in Yatagan. Later on the slight sweetness brings some distant (but less stuffy) associations to Jaguar for Men.
    - The opening fades quickly but the scent itself seems to linger satisfyingly long (I sprayed twice on chest; I tend to prefer a personal scent bubble so I'm not worried about projection). This seems to be one of those scents, which "comes and goes", an attribute I kind of like.
    Glad it's not a redundant purchase for you.
    I own, love, and wear Jacomo deJ, Zagorsk and Black frequently, and find none of them redundant despite some overlaps in mood/style/notes.
    I wonder whether the resemblance to Yatagan that you perceive is the galbanum note common to both (one of my favourite notes), perhaps in conjunction with lavender ?
    I don't find the opening harsh at all, and I get your description of it as
    warm, pleasant almost buttery-balmy
    . Live Jazz also found it so - we sampled JdJ at about the same time. It has an unjustified reputation as a harsh beast (likewise current Yatagan, I would say).
    Slight sweetness might be the cinnamon.
    Resemblance to Jaguar re underlying old-school fougere style, perhaps.

And do you like it ?

Having tried both JdJ (thanks to a super generous BNer!) and more recently TF Noir Anthracite, which I now own, I would say there are some distinctions between the two, but both powerhouses nonetheless:

- JdJ (current) is more about cloves and woods to my nose. The opening is a bit harsh but I perceive it differently each time I've tried it. Once the dry down hits, it's relatively smooth, yet a tad sweet. I imagine this is what earth would smell like after a nuclear holocaust and all that survives is.... woods This is strictly a cold weather scent to me.

- Noir Anthracite has loads of ISO E Super which is used to create the peppers (think Amouage Honor Man and the likes). I also find the galbanum in this irresistible. The overall effect of the scent is a bracing green classic 80s aftershave. I don't often say this about TF, but it is quite a good scent if you can handle the strength.