Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default The Sandalwood Game Proposal & Entries

The Sandalwood Game Official Site

Game Proposal Part A

Create a perfume with sandalwood being the subject, or main theme but also incorporating one of the following:
    Fougere Oriental Cologne Chypre 80’s perfume Oud Vetiver Patchouli Choose a floral (eg.rose, Jasmine,)

Part B

Write a brief describing your perfume as it smells to you as a finished perfume. This can be an evocative story like last game, or what you feel/smell, but overall it is a way to show the judges that you are in full awareness of what you have created.

Part C

In addition to above, or as a stand alone, with no other submission, create a sandalwood base or sandalwood recreation.

The Judges are benjwi02(Paul’s intern William), Kacper Kafel, perfumum,pkiler & Bavard.

You can use any materials, any dilutions as long as they are not toxic or hazardous. You do not have to reveal the formula but please state which dilutant used, to what percentage diluted & a list of the materials used, ( only the ones regulated if you don’t want the full list revealed.).

The judges have agreed to judging on some points:
    1-Perfume matching its entry- eg: does it smell like the sandalwood chypre you said it was?
    2-a-Is the brief adequately written ?
    b- Does the brief describe the perfume?
    3-a- The perfume’s performance: this is where I am hoping the judges spend their time explaining what works, doesn’t etc
    b- on skin if judges willing: just out of interest- everyone’s skin is different and not all judges might be willing, but the judges who did it last game made it interesting!
    4-Did you( the judge) like it? What about it?

Because the lead time will put us smack middle of Christmas and all that entails, and one of the judges has a deadline first half of January,
    Entries deadline is January 15,2021.
    The judges will have a month to judge, depending upon interest. If many maybe longer, not so many , maybe less time.
    Please sign up By October 31,2020. Sign up here.

There has been some concern about this being too complex a game, and others are not thrilled with points system. I think it is important to challenge ourselves, and really more importantly to take advantage of people who are so willing to provide feedback ( THANK YOU JUDGES, with all my heart!!!). I submitted a mess of a perfume and they were kind while still providing important feedback( if anyone wants a sample of my mess of a perfume to prove it, I will send it out- pm me!). Even more helpful was reading about everyone else’s, because being themed , there are only a certain amount of materials in play, so I imagined , which really exercises my perfume brain cells.
    That being said, for those of you who only want to do part, or don’t want the judgement, just submit your entry and ask the judges to accommodate you, they will not mind!

The reason I wanted another game so fast is because: momentum, naturals, and it truly was a blast!
    So sign up and have fun!

Ps late entries within reason were accepted last time, so probably not a problem, just ask, but it takes time to make a perfume, so if possible don’t delay!

edit
    I forgot two important things!!
    First Paul has an issue with Jasmine ( please read beach game) so if Jasmine is in it , I do not believe he can judge your entry. I think he can take very small quantities of Jasmine acs, but please full disclosure of Jasmine materials is necessary for Paul : he gets migraines from Jasmine.

Second You will need to submit enough for the judges to reapply several times, so 1.5-3 ml. Over seas to perfumum, we ran into some trouble with Mumsy, so maybe in small glassine bags with cloth to apply, and double sealed. Might have to be creative, but need to have enough to judge.

On same note, I can only assume for bases or recreations will be judged undiluted, and won’t be sprayed but rather assessed on a blotter. So I believe there has to be enough material to be able to assess it several times. So perhaps 1 ml is fine.
    Last edited by Jolieo; 13th October 2020 at 03:29 AM.

Default Re: The Sandalwood Game Proposal & Entries

Put me down for a Sandalwood Fougere with a brief, and a separate Sandalwood base concoction.

Basenotes Junkie

Oh! I am glad you here AdamE, but jsyk no one has to declare yet, just sign up and decide later
    I am going to participate!

Basenotes Plus

You can count me in too (for now)! This will be my first contest, and i'm excited for it!

Hey Jolieo, thanks for all your hard work on these competitions. Count me in for a sandalwood oriental-gourmand.

Blog Entries

Okay, I'm in. It is a long enough time to enjoy the experience of participating. Thanks for organizing this. =)
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

I'm in. This may change but most likely a Sandalwood Oud Oriental and a separate Sandalwood Base.

Dependent

I'm in.
    With a comment added here.

Basenotes Junkie

Habibi I am excited over the oud for you!
    I am editing the content to include blurb on amount to send.
    I am getting very happy, glad everyone is signing up!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I think this is going to be good.

I’m in for both!
    It will be nice to actually have time to work on this one.

Just one quick question: I understand that the sandalwood base is supposed to be a blend of materials besides sandalwood in order to challenge our recreation skills, but we can use real sandalwood in the full fragrance, correct?

Again thanks so much for organizing, please count me in for all three, I will do a Sandalwood Floral (is that a category?). This is my first game as well and I would love to smell everyone’s work, whoever is open to the idea.

Count me in
    Currently wearing: Sova by Slumberhouse

xyz
    Last edited by -db-; 8th November 2020 at 01:36 AM.

As mentioned, I truly don't believe it's a possible goal to make something that on its own smells "That's a pretty close replacer to sandalwood!" without including some sandalwood or santalol.

One can make something without any sandalwood or santalol hat does a fine job in many perfumes, but not itself smelling plausibly close to sandalwood. Now I could be wrong, if someone knows I am please correct, but I think we do not want people spinning their wheels towards an impossible destination.

Paul: On your Jasmine adverse reactions, are methyl jasmonate, geranyl linalool, farnesene, and farnesol OK?

I do not plan to use the natural or a commercial base but might use any or all of those, unless a problem for you, in which case having your opinion and advice is worth more than having the ingredient.

Also, are any of the Firmenich jasmine bases OK for you? (Just in case.)

Thank you!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Marlaney View Post
    I’m in for both!
    It will be nice to actually have time to work on this one.

Just one quick question: I understand that the sandalwood base is supposed to be a blend of materials besides sandalwood in order to challenge our recreation skills, but we can use real sandalwood in the full fragrance, correct?
    Marlaney all materials are in a the table , except toxic , known problem.

xyz
    Last edited by -db-; 8th November 2020 at 01:34 AM.

Long time lurker here. I'm in!

I would like to take Part if that's ok.
    Thanks in advance

I'm in!

Basenotes Junkie

ok, i play!

I'm in.

Count me in as well
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    — Woody Allen

Hey Im new but I'm killing it with this new sandalwood key accord and ISO-E super and all the other stuff I learned here. Thanks everybody!!!!! I'm going to make something totally killer, watch out!!!

I'm in!

Basenotes Member

I will try to participate, however I'm not sure if I will manage to finish ( Little baby at home). Can I sign like this ?

I would like to enter. The sandalwood floral I would like to work on would have jasmine as a component so knowing Paul is allergic I will submit a base, perhaps 2 depending on how the first goes, with different character for each.

Thanks!

Wow, it seems judges will have some work to do regarding the fantastic number of participants
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I'm in.
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932