Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Love It, Like It or Indifferent...a wardrobe review

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Chuck, you are my idol - you are so into this hobby but have a 'relatively' modest collection, you are a selective person and I admire your restraint!
    This made me chuckle.

Funny how us fragrance connoisseurs/aficionados think a modest collection consists of 60 bottles, where a regular person on the street would think that's crazy, hahaha.
    I just gotta have it
    Currently wearing: B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just for kicks, I ranked my wardrobe of 46 active bottles (14 others are "museum" pieces from my youth). Just a quick knee-jerk ranking of how I feel about them.

I found:

I love about 20.

I like about 22.

I'm indifferent to around 4.
    Awesome thread Chuck!

I am definitely like Neil4Speed in that I usually love what I am wearing that day, but might not urge for it the following week.
    Of my 700 or so bottles, I swoon for 12, some so much that I cannot bring myself to wear it because it is just to precious to my nose lol.
    That number fluctuates though as my nose changes and picks up new found notes.
    The rest I love intermittently, while any I think are just OK make great toilette sprays
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Basenotes Junkie SchoolHouseRocky's Avatar

I've gone from 2 (partial) bottles to about 40 bottles this year, and probably about 15 decants, too. I'm undecided on some of them, but so far I'd roughly group my scents as:

Love -- 13
    Really Like -- 11
    Like -- 13
    Realistically won't reach for -- 11

I'd like to start culling down this winter, maybe to something like 20 to start, then down to 10. It's just so hard to do, this early in my addiction..er, hobby, as some of my "Loves" didn't start out there (e.g., Invasion Barbare), and some of my "Likes" started out as OMG-this-is-amazing (e.g., Lyric Man)!

It might be useful for me to look at my "Love" and "Really Like" categories from a genre perspective, just to make sure I'm not overloading in (say) one category. Sadly, I gravitate towards sweet, spicy, tobacco-y scents, most of which aren't really suited for the endless heat and humidity here in Florida.
    Current Favorites:
    Invasion Barbare, Costume National Homme, Millesime Imperial, Rehab, Naxos, Mefisto, Fahrenheit (EDT and Le Parfum), Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche PH, Ganymede, Clive Christian X, Ombre Leather

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Ormonde Man.
    Hijack. Have you tried the Ormonde Elixir? I recommend.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Oud Assam by Rania J

Basenotes Plus

Current count: 34

Love - 19
    Like - 13
    Indifferent - 2

"Love" goes to my all-time favorites, some perform best during certain seasons so I won't necessarily wear them all year....I have no issues with reaching for "Likes" over "Loves" as it just depends on the mood......"Indifferent" frags are relatively new to my collection so they need a few more wearings before I make the final call.
    ​The Cologne Cabinet “Top 7” for October -

* Polo Green
    * Aramis Havana
    * Safari for Men
    * Azzaro Pour Homme
    * Michael Kors for Men
    * Remy Latour Cigar
    * John Varvatos Vintage

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    "Indifferent" frags are relatively new to my collection so they need a few more wearings before I make the final call.
    Understandable.

Crave- 13
    Love- 25
    Like- 25
    Ok- 10

I’m a collector. I like my well-rounded collection. I have the storage space. Why not just keep them? Funny thing is, a lot of what I was indifferent to a few years ago has shot to the top of my list. Some of my former “meh” fragrances have wildly increased in value. Hell yes I’m still collecting. Not giving up anytime soon. An unrepentant Basenoter.

PS: this is in no way a criticism of your collection style and choices. It’s more of my non-apology to world. Two more full bottles on the way as i type these words. Still excited as ever to add to my already sizable collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I’m a collector. I like my well-rounded collection. I have the storage space. Why not just keep them? Funny thing is, a lot of what I was indifferent to a few years ago has shot to the top of my list. Some of my former “meh” fragrances have wildly increased in value. Hell yes I’m still collecting. Not giving up anytime soon. An unrepentant Basenoter.

PS: this is in no way a criticism of your collection style and choices. It’s more of my non-apology to world. Two more full bottles on the way as i type these words. Still excited as ever to add to my already sizable collection.
    Enjoy brother!
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

If you know what you're happy with, that's all that matters.