Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default No. 22 edt vs. edp

As a BIG fan of Chanel Les Exclusifs No. 22 edt, I'm saddened to learn that it has been discontinued and replaced with an edp. I prefer the edt to the parfum, largely on account of what I perceive to be a more prominent incense feature. Is anyone knowledgeable to compare the new edp to the discontinued edt, or perhaps the edp with the parfum?
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

Default Re: No. 22 edt vs. edp

I haven't tried the edp. Did they take out the incense note? I really like that note and if anything, would enjoy having it emphasized even more.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Oh! Really they took the incense note out? Now, I own a late 80s or early 90s edt and I know before lockdown I did spray the edp version in store. House of Fraser's new buyer had a row with Chanel and they totally pulled out of all their stores and only came back a few weeks ago and you could not spray the testers! I am trying to remember what the edp was like? I think you might be right I have a vague idea it was much smoother which of course could be the removing or toning down of the incense.

If I can remember when I am in city centre mid week see if I can get a spray of the edp.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

I love 22 and have a bit left of Les Exclusifs edt. I’ve not tried the edp. What I’m really curious about is how vintage eau de cologne or Eau de toilette compares. There are a couple listings on eBay and I’m tempted to pull the trigger on one.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I love 22 and have a bit left of Les Exclusifs edt. I’ve not tried the edp. What I’m really curious about is how vintage eau de cologne or Eau de toilette compares. There are a couple listings on eBay and I’m tempted to pull the trigger on one.
    Hi, tdem! Caution is required with vintage 22 in the edt; sealed parfum seems okay. Some time ago I found in a pharmacy new old stock of No 22 edt and parfum. Bought them all. The parfum was fine (and still is with some left) but the edt, even though in sealed spray bottles, had turned and luckily I was able to return it. There could be fine No 22 edt out there but I would want to smell it first.

P.S. These bottles probably dated from around 2000, purchased in the U.S. The parfum was made in France; not sure about the edt.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Hi, tdem! Caution is required with vintage 22 in the edt; sealed parfum seems okay. Some time ago I found in a pharmacy new old stock of No 22 edt and parfum. Bought them all. The parfum was fine (and still is with some left) but the edt, even though in sealed spray bottles, had turned and luckily I was able to return it. There could be fine No 22 edt out there but I would want to smell it first.

P.S. These bottles probably dated from around 2000, purchased in the U.S. The parfum was made in France; not sure about the edt.
    Hi, FiveO! Good to see you!

Thanks for the info, good to know and duly noted.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

My vintage well I suppose it is edt is a deep amber colour and has the sillage of an atom bomb.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    My vintage well I suppose it is edt is a deep amber colour and has the sillage of an atom bomb.
    100%! I can attest to the sillage. Thereís a reason why I smelled it fleetingly for about ten seconds at the age of 11 and was able to identify it immediately when I finally came across it in a store about 20 years later!

Freed from BN Institution

I thought the Les Exclusifs EDT was discontinued along with the other EDTs when Chanel was transitioning to EDP. I smelled both No 22, although not side to side, I recalled liking the EDT slightly more.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

No 22 is one that is HIGHLY skin dependent in my opinion - due to the aldehydes.

For ME, this how they differ:

vintage : airy aldehydes + slight incense note

Les Exclusifs EDT: airy aldehydes + more pronounced incense note

Les Exclusifs EDP: waxier aldehydes + same incense note as the EDT.

Les Exclusifs Parfum: emphasis on white florals + waxy aldehydes + very little incense (even less than vintage 22)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boui_boui View Post
    No 22 is one that is HIGHLY skin dependent in my opinion - due to the aldehydes.

Les Exclusifs Parfum: emphasis on white florals + waxy aldehydes + very little incense (even less than vintage 22)
    Sweet, this is promising. I might even like waxier aldehydes more.
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

Quote Originally Posted by boui_boui View Post

Nice descriptions Thanks, boul_boul. It's encouraging to see that the incense remains in the edp.

By chance today I had the opportunity to test No 22 edp and itís very nice. The notes seem very well balanced and true to scent. I didnít find any difference in the drydown and one spritz has been lasting several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    By chance today I had the opportunity to test No 22 edp and it’s very nice. The notes seem very well balanced and true to scent. I didn’t find any difference in the drydown and one spritz has been lasting several hours.
    That's wonderful to hear! No 22 is one of those scents that Chanel should really push harder - it's just so gorgeous and elegant.

Excellent news.
    DONNA