Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Jicky - how many sprays for a full wearing out to work, etc.? Hmm

So Jicky is kind of an unusual one for me as there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on how many sprays to wear it, and depending on the vintage and concentration may vary quite a lot! Haha. So I come to you all for aid, .

I'd like to wear Jicky to work, but I'm not sure how many sprays to do. Right now I have a 2018 EdP, and a 2006 EdT (just arrived today, glorious!). As some of you may know, I've recently fallen pretty hard for Jicky. I waited so long before finally trying this creation. Currently awaiting a modern (or so) Parfum/Extrait as well.

Jicky seems relatively 'light' to me and seems to die down quite quickly to a skin scent - however, my nose has been known to be deceived and I'm terrible at determining strength of fragrances myself (for the most part).

So if I wanted to wear Jicky to wear and have it last for most of the day (10+ hour work days) - how many sprays would you say for the modern EdP/semi-vintage EdT?

I'm 100% fine spraying on clothing as well, as I plan to do a spray or two to torso area and hitting the underside of the shirt as well. But I'd like it to last with a nice aura around me.

Thoughts?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Default Re: Jicky - how many sprays for a full wearing out to work, etc.? Hmm

I've been thinking about buying the latest jicky, so I'll be curious about this. (I have Mouchoir de Monsieur, which I love, but it is indeed weak and one needs at least 5 sprays to get some longevity).

also curious about the parfum.I bought Jicky parfum 6 years ago and wasn't too wowed-a bit too sweet and not as balanced as lower concentrations (or the vintage, which I smelled at the Osmotheque and is stupendous).

cacio

I wouldn't wear it to work, but if I did, I would keep it to 3 sprays or less.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I've been thinking about buying the latest jicky, so I'll be curious about this. (I have Mouchoir de Monsieur, which I love, but it is indeed weak and one needs at least 5 sprays to get some longevity).

also curious about the parfum.I bought Jicky parfum 6 years ago and wasn't too wowed-a bit too sweet and not as balanced as lower concentrations (or the vintage, which I smelled at the Osmotheque and is stupendous).

cacio
    Def interested in MdM, but it's somewhat hard to find and seems it's been discontinued!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I'll totally wear it to work. I think people are too prude wearing fragrances to work. I wear Kouros, Leather Oud, Al-Khatt, etc. to work. It's totally fine.

I think 3 sprays may be a bit too light for the EdP and EdT, hmm. Not sure!
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Three sprays.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Re Mouchoir de Monsieur, it's quite close to Jicky (at least the older one I smelled), just more citrusy up top and with a touch more civet in the drydown. And the version I have, as said, is rather light.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I'll totally wear it to work. I think people are too prude wearing fragrances to work. I wear Kouros, Leather Oud, Al-Khatt, etc. to work. It's totally fine.
    Do you ever receive any comments?

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I consider Jicky something I'd wear at home. 3 sprays is a good place to start to get a feel for the work environment.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You're brave wearing this to work. Probably 3 sprays tops.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Def interested in MdM, but it's somewhat hard to find and seems it's been discontinued!
    MdM is still in production, fear not!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Not distributed outside EU though. US Guerlain site doesn't list it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

I find "current" Jicky to be very light and 3 sprays wouldn't be enough for me. EdP perhaps double...EdT, I'd triple the amount of amount you'd normally wear.

You should def explore the Parfum/Extrait or the Parfum de Toilette version (which is my fav disco'd version...right after the EdC!)

Last time I wore it (vintage EdT) I doused it on. No one gave me any side glances. It wears light and close-to-the-body.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I have a current Jicky extrait and I can confirm it's quite light. I wore 2 small decant-sized spritzes a few days ago and it had moderate projection and about 4-5 hours longevity (in humid conditions). Granted it's quite different from vintage (I wore it quite a bit in the early 90s), which was a beast in both senses of the word, but thankfully it's still recognisably Jicky.

I'd say 3 spritzes would be fine for current extrait, maybe more for EDP/EDT.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Is it? hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Not distributed outside EU though. US Guerlain site doesn't list it.
    But it's still produced? Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I find "current" Jicky to be very light and 3 sprays wouldn't be enough for me. EdP perhaps double...EdT, I'd triple the amount of amount you'd normally wear.

You should def explore the Parfum/Extrait or the Parfum de Toilette version (which is my fav disco'd version...right after the EdC!)

Last time I wore it (vintage EdT) I doused it on. No one gave me any side glances. It wears light and close-to-the-body.
    Yeah, I'm actually waiting on my Parfum to arrive this week (Tuesday, I think). Really looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    I have a current Jicky extrait and I can confirm it's quite light. I wore 2 small decant-sized spritzes a few days ago and it had moderate projection and about 4-5 hours longevity (in humid conditions). Granted it's quite different from vintage (I wore it quite a bit in the early 90s), which was a beast in both senses of the word, but thankfully it's still recognisably Jicky.

I'd say 3 spritzes would be fine for current extrait, maybe more for EDP/EDT.
    Nice, okay! So maybe something like 3 sprays for modern parfum, 5-6 for modern EdP, and ~6-9 for my 90's EdT? I may intentionally spray one or two times on my shirt(s) also, which can make up for more than its weight in sprays on skin.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

...Nice, okay! So maybe something like 3 sprays for modern parfum, 5-6 for modern EdP, and ~6-9 for my 90's EdT? I may intentionally spray one or two times on my shirt(s) also, which can make up for more than its weight in sprays on skin.
    Sounds good to me. Of course, your mileage may vary...skin chemistry, climate, nose fatigue...it makes everyone's experiences differently.

Is the Parfum/Extrait on it's way to you in a box that looks like this?

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds good to me. Of course, your mileage may vary...skin chemistry, climate, nose fatigue...it makes everyone's experiences differently.

Is the Parfum/Extrait on it's way to you in a box that looks like this?

Neither! It's a spray tester, which is a big reason why I wanted it as well - because as far as I'm aware all Jicky parfum/extrait are non-spray, so the fact this tester is a spray is great for me! I much prefer sprays like this. I'm assuming ~2005-2017, I'll find out more after I receive it (Tues).

This type:
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Neither! It's a spray tester, which is a big reason why I wanted it as well - because as far as I'm aware all Jicky parfum/extrait are non-spray, so the fact this tester is a spray is great for me! I much prefer sprays like this. I'm assuming ~2005-2017, I'll find out more after I receive it (Tues).

This type:
    Oh damn - I used to own one just like that. But mine was from the 90's (the font was different). Good stuff! Enjoy.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

This is probably the one scent I haven't approached for fear of being sucked into the abyss of which version to get. I suppose I should just try them all out and pick my favourite. What do people think is the best overall from the modern/currently available iterations? EdT, EdP or Parfum?
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I find the current formulation doesn't last that long on my skin.
    It's not the perfume it was in the '70's that's for sure.
    I'd say four sprays on your skin and one on your clothes.
    May need a top up four hours later though.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: V / Visa by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Member

I have a 2018 bottle of Jicky in EDP concentration. It’s got a lot stronger in the bottle over the last year with a wonderful ambery base that was very light when I first bought it.

It has become my girlfriend’s signature scent and I’ve noticed that she does two or three sprays to the upper chest area. She has a delicate nose though and finds a lot of spray perfumes overwhelming for the first hour or so. I go with around six sprays (three on each side of upper chest) and then get dressed so the fragrance soaks into my shirt a little.

We both wear it to work and it’s never had anything but positive remarks from others. I think the smell around the wearer is office safe and some of Jicky’s more risky elements are only picked up from sniffing it close to the skin. Though all this is in an Italian context; quite a lot of people wear vintage and/or animalic fragrances here in Milan.

Current Jicky EDP is not the vintage PDT. 5 sprays will be just fine. And people love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    This is probably the one scent I haven't approached for fear of being sucked into the abyss of which version to get. I suppose I should just try them all out and pick my favourite. What do people think is the best overall from the modern/currently available iterations? EdT, EdP or Parfum?
    Most will probably disagree, but I think the EdT offers the best balance. The EdP often seems out of kilter to my nose. All of the concentrations are fleeting, alas.

Dependent

For me, 2 sprays is perfect.

Basenotes Plus

Impossible to answer. I like every version.

Mind you, when I first smelled it I absolutely hated it.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Oh man, I'm not sure, but I can say I may like the overall smell of the 2006 or so EdT better than my 2018 EdP right now - but both are glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I find the current formulation doesn't last that long on my skin.
    It's not the perfume it was in the '70's that's for sure.
    I'd say four sprays on your skin and one on your clothes.
    May need a top up four hours later though.
    Yeah, I may do 2 directly to shirt(s), and 2-3 mainly on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    I have a 2018 bottle of Jicky in EDP concentration. It’s got a lot stronger in the bottle over the last year with a wonderful ambery base that was very light when I first bought it.

It has become my girlfriend’s signature scent and I’ve noticed that she does two or three sprays to the upper chest area. She has a delicate nose though and finds a lot of spray perfumes overwhelming for the first hour or so. I go with around six sprays (three on each side of upper chest) and then get dressed so the fragrance soaks into my shirt a little.

We both wear it to work and it’s never had anything but positive remarks from others. I think the smell around the wearer is office safe and some of Jicky’s more risky elements are only picked up from sniffing it close to the skin. Though all this is in an Italian context; quite a lot of people wear vintage and/or animalic fragrances here in Milan.
    Awesome, that's great to hear as my EdP is a 2018 bottle!! Hopeful it gets stronger. How long are y'all able to notice it for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    Current Jicky EDP is not the vintage PDT. 5 sprays will be just fine. And people love it.
    I'd love to try vintage PdT.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    For me, 2 sprays is perfect.
    Of which concentration and era?
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Member

Awesome, that's great to hear as my EdP is a 2018 bottle!! Hopeful it gets stronger. How long are y'all able to notice it for now?

Once there’s some air in the bottle it’ll start to get stronger. I bought ours just over a year ago. We both enjoy the scent throughout the daytime after spraying in the morning. There’s definitely still something very light, but present, in the early evening if it has some body heat to work with (that’s why it’s always sprayed on the chest). Even if that wasn’t the case, Jicky would be worth it just to enjoy for a few hours in my opinion.

Dependent

Of which concentration and era?
    Current Jicky edp

Nice, okay! So maybe something like 3 sprays for modern parfum, 5-6 for modern EdP, and ~6-9 for my 90's EdT? I may intentionally spray one or two times on my shirt(s) also, which can make up for more than its weight in sprays on skin.
    Sorry, I may have done 3 spritzes, not 2. I'd say 3-4 would be safe for the modern parfum. I have a suspicion that the difference between the EDP and parfum isn't just a matter of concentration (having tested the EDP briefly a couple of years ago, the olfactory texture is a little different), so you'll probably have to play around a bit to see what suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    That's good to know. I may have to pick up a bottle of EDP myself. I don't think the parfum is similar, though; the bottle I have from a few years ago has not changed very much.

I would only wear it to work if I was an independent tree feller

I wear Kouros, Leather Oud, Al-Khatt, etc. to work. It's totally fine.
    I challenge you to wear 20 sprays of Zafar to work!
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc