Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    When I was much younger in the mid 90's I was given the most incredible shower gel. It was called calyx and it was so green and fruity I would remove the big cap and just smell and smell. For many years I thought this was a male fragrance. Turns out I was wrong.
    I also had no idea this came out in the 80's.
    I love this fragrance so much. I'm surprised it's not marketed as unisex. But in 1986 there was no unisex fragrance yet I think .
    Clinique brought it back for a while but I never got around to snatching up a bottle.
    What a fresh green fruity fragrance. Lots of citrus lots of fruits lots of florals blended wonderfully.
    Love the bottle too.
    If this came out today it would be labelled as unisex.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    325,506

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    I think this might have been worn by my daughter at one time. It sounds familiar.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,405

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    https://www.basenotes.net/ID10212701.html

    Unisex fragrances long predate the 1980s—and, for that matter, the entire commercial perfumery industry—but they've gone in and out of style over the decades.
    Currently wearing: Whisper by Lucien Lelong

  4. #4

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    That's all my ex-wife wore for years.

    I have a vivid memory of busting her chops about it. The opening notes smelled to me like RAID bug spray.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    22,608

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    It was easy to find, as it was part of Estee Lauder's stable (under the Prescriptives make up brand). Then EL discontinued the Prescriptives brand and temporarily moved Calyx to the Clinique range. But I guess it mustn't have sold well in the new brand. I suspect it would still be easy to find on ebay, as it was quite common.

    As a perfume, it was very nice but quite sweet and fruity, with a beautiful guava note. Perhaps a touch too sweet for me, but I can see how it might have worked well. Of course, perfumery then became way sweeter.

    EL often used the same (or at least very close) perfume in the female and male range, but I don't think it happened for this one, presumably because back then fruits were strictly for women (male gourmands have yet to come).

    cacio

  6. #6
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,233

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Long time I’m curious about this one and others from Clinique that are no more available.


    https://m.clinique.com/product/11971...ting-fragrance
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    22,608

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Beck

    so it is still available... I had not seen it at Macys anymore so I assumed it had been axed, but good to know that I was wrong. Not expensive either.

    cacio

  8. #8
    Super Member
    jrr2ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    My ex wore it. Very fruity (in a novel way for the time). Green, but more in a vegetal sense than a woodsy or grassy sense. Quite fresh. Would wear it in a heartbeat now.

  9. #9
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,233

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Beck

    so it is still available... I had not seen it at Macys anymore so I assumed it had been axed, but good to know that I was wrong. Not expensive either.

    cacio
    Yes! Sometime ago I found it in fragrancenet or fragrancex. Was tempted to blindbuy but held on. Nowadays I hardly blindbuy and was lucky (?) to never remember about it when in a blindbuy kick.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

  10. #10
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    That's all my ex-wife wore for years.

    I have a vivid memory of busting her chops about it. The opening notes smelled to me like RAID bug spray.
    Haha this is funny hope I didn't bring back any bad memories..

  11. #11
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It was easy to find, as it was part of Estee Lauder's stable (under the Prescriptives make up brand). Then EL discontinued the Prescriptives brand and temporarily moved Calyx to the Clinique range. But I guess it mustn't have sold well in the new brand. I suspect it would still be easy to find on ebay, as it was quite common.

    As a perfume, it was very nice but quite sweet and fruity, with a beautiful guava note. Perhaps a touch too sweet for me, but I can see how it might have worked well. Of course, perfumery then became way sweeter.

    EL often used the same (or at least very close) perfume in the female and male range, but I don't think it happened for this one, presumably because back then fruits were strictly for women (male gourmands have yet to come).

    cacio
    Yes it used to be under the prescriptives brand. I think it's kind of expensive to be honest. They are selling it and marketing it as something more high end then it really is.
    On a side note I remember that it had more notes than any other perfume at the time. Could be marketing again I'll have to Google that for more information see what I can find. Anyway the big bottle goes for like 82 dollars and it was a limited edition by clinique.

  12. #12
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    What the hell is in this stuff???
    Here are the notes..
    Papaya,muguet,mango,mandarin,peach,
    grapefruit,apricot,guava,freesia,neroli,
    passion fruit,cassis,green leaves,marigold,spearmint,bergamot,lily of the valley, jasmine,rose,cyclamen,melon,orris,cedar,musk,oakmo ss,raspberry,sandalwood,vetiver.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    45,498

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Never heard of it.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  14. #14
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    55,274

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Nope doesn't sound familiar.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  15. #15
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Haha you both are joking right!!??

  16. #16
    Sillage Monster
    Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    6,094

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    I used to wear it when it was popular. It was a little off beat and original. The cosmetics brand it was associated with, Prescriptives, had a modern image that distinguished it from traditional cosmetics houses. I used their cosmetic products too.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Hypnôse by Lancôme

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    38,234

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    My mom, who for years was fragrance-phobic because most of the 80's fragrances were headache-inducing for her, loved and wore Calyx for years. She even had the Shower Gel the OP mentioned, the Body Powder and the Body Cream.

    The packaging and marketing, at the time, were very sleek and modern (for the 80's). But then again most of the Prescriptives makeup and skin care was pretty darn nifty.

    I remember grabbing a travel spray online years ago, just so I could relive the smell - I definitely classify it as a fruity fragrance (I would call it mango...but not 'green mango' like Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes...much more yellow mango) with a sturdy tart element to it, miles away from the tutti-frutti-mall-Victorias-Secret-b*shit coming out today. It was strong. Which doesn't really surprise me now upon reflecting on it because 1) It was the 1980's and 2) The nose who composed it was Sophia Grojsman (she did a lot of HUGE 80's scents like Eternity by Calvin Klein; Beautiful and White Linen by Estee Lauder; Tresor by Lancome, etc...)

    Modern day fruit bombs, like Pulp by Byredo and Arielle Shoshana (aka Saturday) by Arielle Shoshana owe a lot of their DNA to Calyx.

    Side note: This stuff does not age well. I remember smelling some in a thrift shop that definitely had juice that turned in it. So buyer beware when purchasing vintage Prescriptives stuff.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

  18. #18
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    It's a severely underrated classic imo. It's wonderful. A masterpiece.

  19. #19
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,233

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Side note: This stuff does not age well. I remember smelling some in a thrift shop that definitely had juice that turned in it. So buyer beware when purchasing vintage Prescriptives stuff.
    Sometimes I feel like fresh fragrances (specially “extreme” fresh scents- with basically fresh notes and fruits in their compositions) don’t age well.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    22,608

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Interesting what you mention about aging. Turin also said that the late (ie 80s 90s) Estee Lauder (like the Becker ones) do not age well, presumably because some of the chemicals therein turns easily.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    38,234

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Sometimes I feel like fresh fragrances (specially “extreme” fresh scents- with basically fresh notes and fruits in their compositions) don’t age well.
    I owned deep vintage White Linen and found it smelled marvelously intact. Same for vintage Eaux's like...say...Eau Imperiale by Guerlain. But then again, I have a limited knowledge of 'fresh' fragrances, as they're not really my favorite category.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

  22. #22
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,233

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I owned deep vintage White Linen and found it smelled marvelously intact. Same for vintage Eaux's like...say...Eau Imperiale by Guerlain. But then again, I have a limited knowledge of 'fresh' fragrances, as they're not really my favorite category.
    Nice! I hope it’s just a fake sensation.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Now sold under Clinique
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

  24. #24
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My mom, who for years was fragrance-phobic because most of the 80's fragrances were headache-inducing for her, loved and wore Calyx for years. She even had the Shower Gel the OP mentioned, the Body Powder and the Body Cream.

    The packaging and marketing, at the time, were very sleek and modern (for the 80's). But then again most of the Prescriptives makeup and skin care was pretty darn nifty.

    I remember grabbing a travel spray online years ago, just so I could relive the smell - I definitely classify it as a fruity fragrance (I would call it mango...but not 'green mango' like Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes...much more yellow mango) with a sturdy tart element to it, miles away from the tutti-frutti-mall-Victorias-Secret-b*shit coming out today. It was strong. Which doesn't really surprise me now upon reflecting on it because 1) It was the 1980's and 2) The nose who composed it was Sophia Grojsman (she did a lot of HUGE 80's scents like Eternity by Calvin Klein; Beautiful and White Linen by Estee Lauder; Tresor by Lancome, etc...)

    Modern day fruit bombs, like Pulp by Byredo and Arielle Shoshana (aka Saturday) by Arielle Shoshana owe a lot of their DNA to Calyx.

    Side note: This stuff does not age well. I remember smelling some in a thrift shop that definitely had juice that turned in it. So buyer beware when purchasing vintage Prescriptives stuff.
    Thanks for your informative post. I agree with what you say about victoria's secret-yet girls go crazy for their scents. They are so over priced for what you get. Synthetic sweet mall scents. Calyx is amazing. Clinique released it as a limited edition although I do see some 50ml bottles available. Now I HAVE to try Pulp from Byredo.

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    38,234

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Thanks for your informative post. I agree with what you say about victoria's secret-yet girls go crazy for their scents. They are so over priced for what you get. Synthetic sweet mall scents. Calyx is amazing. Clinique released it as a limited edition although I do see some 50ml bottles available. Now I HAVE to try Pulp from Byredo.
    You're welcome. Pulp is like a huge giant peach. Like the one in this movie poster lol

    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

  26. #26
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    10,863
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    I think Calyx smells pretty neat as a fresh green fruity floral near-chypre fragrance. Definitely unisex and like Chanel Cristale only friendlier.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  27. #27
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    Loved your review for calyx zealot!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Have you ever heard of the fragrance Calyx??

    I remember testing it years ago in Selfridges when it was by Prescriptives

    Peachy and sweet -- bit too fem for me and a little too chemical, but I didn't dislike it. It had a certain......




Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone heard of or tried fragrance from Her Eyes Only?
    By Rsull93 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th January 2020, 10:59 PM
  2. Name a fragrance that no other Basenoter has ever heard of...
    By discovolante in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 1st October 2017, 03:55 PM
  3. Heard of this fragrance ?
    By david in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st February 2006, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000