Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Best Landmark Fougere

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Has anyone tried the Fine American Blend? It is supposed to be a good RG clone. It comes in an EDT as well.

Attachment 137475
    I have used this as aftershave.

It's decent, but I don't recall thinking "oh, this smells like RIVE GAUCHE."

Call me a cynical elitist, but have serious doubts that the EdT version smells a whole lot like RIVE GAUCHE.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Never heard of fine american blend. Now I'm curious. Which one is supposed to be the clone of RG, the after shave or the edt? (it comes in both forms).

Edit: stylinla, our message crossed. i guess this answers

cacio

While not exactly a landmark classic, also adding to the many good recommendations already, Sir Irisch Moos- though like the name says, more of a mossy rather than fougere scent.
    Maybe also for a darker powerhouse fougere inexplicably not discontinued, therefor still affordable and fairly easy to get: Salvador Dali PH.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

El Arquiste for Men - a great fougere that smells both old and new.
    SHELTER IN PLACE WARDROBE • mugler kryptomint • rook undergrowth • no. 1 kosmala tonic blanc • bohemian lime • sumo j scent • aventus cologne • nautica voyage • moschino pour homme • sancti liquides imaginaires • smn patchouli • menthe fraiche • under my skin • phuong dang artist • dior homme sport '12

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Never heard of fine american blend. Now I'm curious. Which one is supposed to be the clone of RG, the after shave or the edt? (it comes in both forms).

Edit: stylinla, our message crossed. i guess this answers

cacio
    cacio: I think they are both supposed to smell like RIVE GAUCHE. The aftershave was pleasant enough. When I bought it and used it, never knew that it was supposed to be channeling RIVE GAUCHE and it never lept out at me like it did. May pick up another bottle because:

a- It's cheap
    b- I wear a ton of of barbershop fougeres
    c- It is compatible with those type scents and nice as aftershaves go

Never tried the EdT.
    Someone recently started a thread about it.

As an interesting sidenote, I was trying to buy something once directly from the FINE website. The order kept hanging up on some weird quirk in the order. I hit the "contact us" button and started getting emails from the CEO minutes later.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Dependent

Tbh, I think Rive Gauche PH is good, but it's kind of underwhelming. It's a classic and very solid. However, I don't think it's a masterpiece, and as for dark fougeres, I'd rather have Or Black.

All Is Beautiful

Sultan Pasha Fougere Noir is a masterpiece fougere that is a "landmark" in many senses to me.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Two other great ones, the latter in particular.
    Never tried his shoes but Mr. Jourdan did a wonderful fragrance.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Stetson Black by Stetson

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Never tried his shoes but Mr. Jourdan did a wonderful fragrance.
    He played for the Chicaugo Boulls, right?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

How about YSL Jazz?
    Currently wearing: L'Anarchiste by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It’s not as if Rive Gauche were much easier. I haven’t yet managed to try RG, but I have noted a fairly even split between the hype and “meh” votes. I love Or Black, and the new version is pretty good, though the vintage has significantly greater longevity.
    I'm very happy I have a small supply, but will not be looking to pick up any at a premium.

Honestly, it's quite good. But the discontinuation has clearly fed into the mystique. With that much hype, there's going to equal parts "love it" and "meh" because it's hard to live up to that kind of reputation, especially if someone coughs up some serious dough.

With ten plus years here now, I see how things can be become revered upon becoming hard to obtain.

I have about 40ml of CREED VINTAGE TABAROME which I paid a bit of a premium for about 9 years ago. It had recently been discontinued.

It is good stuff. It's distinctive, manly. Great scent. Not particularly sorry I bought it, but over the years I have found many scents I prefer over it.

Like, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Tbh, I think Rive Gauche PH is good, but it's kind of underwhelming. However, I don't think it's a masterpiece...
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

My under the radar suggestion would be the eponymous Jacques Zolty by Jacques Zolty (sometimes referred to as St. Barthelamy).

It's listed as an oriental fougere by Fragrantica and I guess you could make a case for that. But it honestly smells like a mishmash of Sartorial and LeMale in the best way possible, with standout notes of incense and cypress (along with prominent lavender) setting it apart quite nicely. The only problem is that it's relatively expensive and hard to find in the US outside of eBay. The only reason I own it is that I lucked into a great deal from a fellow Basenoter from the EU. Really remarkable, unique fougere well worth owning. Listed as an EDT but performs more like an EDP/Extrait. Very potent.

I was able to purchase 10ml mini of the 1999 release of Yohji Homme. I think it is a great fougere and ever so slightly gourmand. Similar to RG, but without the anisic edge. Still waiting for some more samples.

Basenotes Plus

I was able to purchase 10ml mini of the 1999 release of Yohji Homme. I think it is a great fougere and ever so slightly gourmand. Similar to RG, but without the anisic edge. Still waiting for some more samples.
    Man, if I'd known you were interested a while back, I would have traded my bottle of Yohji Homme for one of your Crowns. But, all's well that ends well.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

I am not sure if these are the types you are looking for, but haven't really been mentioned:

Sartorial
    1881 man
    Patrick
    Currently wearing: Classical by Anat Fritz

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Man View Post
    I am not sure if these are the types you are looking for, but haven't really been mentioned:

Sartorial
    1881 man
    Patrick
    Patrick is a great mention!!!

IMG_20200925_162056_356.jpg

Rive Gauche pour homme is my favourite scent of all time and I think it is the perfect embodiment of high quality barbershop fougeres.

That said I think either Azzaro pour homme or Brut by Faberge are probably the two landmark fougeres, with Drakkar Noir, Clubman Pinaud and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme rounding out the top 5.

If you are looking for a modern interpretation of the classic Fougere, check out At The Barber's, Sartorial, Beau de Jour or Fougere Royale. Also worth smelling is Safari by Ralph Lauren, early 90s fougere but feels more modern than the 80s stuff
    Currently wearing: Krizia Uomo by Krizia

I tried the Fine American Blend aftershave. This is so far the closest to RG, though it is a bit drier and has a musky drydown compared to genuine RG, which has a more ambery drydown. Definitely has the anisic shaving cream vibe. I also tried Tom Ford Beau de Jour and did not really like it--it was more of a mossy lavender, rather than a true fougere.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I tried the Fine American Blend aftershave. This is so far the closest to RG, though it is a bit drier and has a musky drydown compared to genuine RG, which has a more ambery drydown. Definitely has the anisic shaving cream vibe. I also tried Tom Ford Beau de Jour and did not really like it--it was more of a mossy lavender, rather than a true fougere.
    Beau de Jour is among the most basic interpretations of fougere, like Caron Pour Un Homme, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, Zino Davidoff, putting the lavender front and center.