Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Hyped up fragrances by Youtubers you fell for?

Quote Originally Posted by ihxb01 View Post
    Even LT is a youtuber nowadays. Just saying.
    lol true. However, he's completely different from all of the other fragrance youtubers; I wouldn't even classify him as member of the youtube frag com.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihxb01 View Post
    Even LT is a youtuber nowadays. Just saying.
    Who's LT?
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Who's LT?
    Luca Turin.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Dylan Blue is hyped? I mean, I like it but rarely reach for it.
    YouTube it is haha, recent reviewers are too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    Luca Turin.
    The controversial scientist who write perfume reviews? Really? And he is on ebay now? Hahahahah
    I hope for him he'll be more successful on ebay than he has been in his scientific field. And didn't know he had an acronym.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    lol true. However, he's completely different from all of the other fragrance youtubers; I wouldn't even classify him as member of the youtube frag com.
    Since he has been kind of kicked out the scientific community, and that his reviews are considered by many as inaccurate and his impressions are just his impressions, then where would he belong to? Failed-guy-in-search-of-a-career-shift community?

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Gravitas is total win for me.
    Worth the price tag?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Bentley perfumes.

They Smelled generic to me after several wearings

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Bentley perfumes.

They Smelled generic to me after several wearings
    I thought Bentley for Men & Bentley for Men Intense were well done though just not my cup of tea.. Bentley for Men Absolute on the other hand, I love! Quite similar to the discontinued Gucci Pour Homme I! It does seem like they have went down a more crowd pleasing route ever since though..

everyday i'm samplin'

None that i can think of. But i dont tread the path most of them seem to. And i generally sample, so that also insulates me.
    I smell.

Dependent

Since he has been kind of kicked out the scientific community, and that his reviews are considered by many as inaccurate and his impressions are just his impressions, then where would he belong to? Failed-guy-in-search-of-a-career-shift community?
    Well that's really harsh! He's hardly been kicked out of the scientific community. As for his reviews, yes they're considered "inaccurate" by many people, but those people are all members of the frag com. Perfumers and experts in the industry would most likely agree with his ratings and impressions. And I think it's unfair to call him "failed". Anyways, I know we could go back and forth, arguing until the end of time, so why don't we agree to disagree.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I saw a video for a Kouros clone called The Man Silver by Milton Lloyd. It was supposed to be a dead ringer for Kouros but just a hint fresher. Great!

I ordered it, and while it smells very close to Kouros at first, as soon as the dry down hits, you get this cheap, plastic/rubber smell. It doesn't smell wearable because of that and it just made me want to buy the real thing.

I think that's the only time I bought something based solely on a YT review.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Worth the price tag?
    For me yes as I like this style of fragrance BUT I did buy it on eBay used / 99% full at a good discount. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by rmm.0811 View Post
    Being a relative beginner to fragrances going by what I heard the fragrances below were meant to be the literal holy grail of olfactory perfection, but I wouldn't even pay £20 for full bottles after having purchased decants.

1) Roja Enigma and Danger Parfum Cologne

2) Nishane Ani

3) YSL Y EDP

4) JPG Ultra Male

I've realised I can't trust many youtubers, so many of them are shilling and getting free stuff.
    t

have you tried enigma pour homme?

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    For me yes as I like this style of fragrance BUT I did buy it on eBay used / 99% full at a good discount. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample.
    Sweeeeeeeet.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Gurahl View Post
    The other was Aventus. I didn't buy it, thank goodness, but I went to a store to try it and I could not fathom what all the fuss was about. I wouldn't wear it if it was free, or if it was the only fragrance available. I think I'd rub myself against a beaver's backside before I wore Aventus.
    I had the exact same reaction when I smelled Aventus for the first time - had to double check the bottle to make sure I hadn’t sprayed something else. Not a bad fragrance per se, but just very underwhelming given the high praise. I’d probably buy a bottle if it were a $20 cheapie but at retail Creed prices? No way.

. Example: Sebastian (of Semlling Great) is still unable to describe accurately what he smells, and the only times his reviews are useful, it's when he has guests on his vids, who often contradict him and provide an accurate description - not sure why he doesn't change job.
    I actually like Sebastian - I watch his videos a lot as kind of passive background noise when doing other things - but he’s not the most nuanced reviewer. I’ve gotten a fair number of good recommendations from his videos, but I also always look up reviews here and elsewhere just to be safe. But he is partly responsible for two of my worst YouTube-endorsed blind buys: Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider. Yeccchhh. Got good reviews from Sebastian and a few other YouTubers (“niche quality! amazing deal!”) but it smelled like Dr. Pepper spilled on a peeling faux leather car interior. Thank God I only paid about $16 for a tester, but I ended up just giving it to a teenage cousin.

Also bought Lalique Hommage a L’Homme Voyageur based on a Sebastian review - it was about three years ago though at the very beginning of my fragrance collecting so I didn’t do thorough research. Same deal - “niche quality!” - but to me it smells like a lipstick covered cardamom pastry on top of steaming hot compost.

I’ve learned my lesson now though and always do lots of research and test in store/buy decants, so it’s been a while now since I had a bad blind buy.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

I must admit I saw a couple of reviewers gush about JOVOY INCIDENT DIPLOMATIQUE.
    I now tend to think they are both being spoon fed bottles by JOVOY. Perhaps not...

I tried it and it fell short of my expectations based on glowing reviews.

I was able to return it and I did discover JOVOY PRIVATE LABEL in the process.

I will look often at online reviews. Some are entertaining if nothing else. But any one reviewer has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    I prefer to see what a cross section of us kooks all think...
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

None. You just have to know who to watch and who to avoid.

"Spicebomb Night Vision Eau de Parfum"
    I'll second this one. Dreadful....... and if you like the 1st 2 spice bombs like I do, easy to fall for the hype.

I've realised I can't trust many youtubers, so many of them are shilling and getting free stuff.
    Just trust your own nose!

And if you are into fragrances you may be up to date with new releases anyway.
    So it would rarely happen that you see a fragrance featured in one of those mainstream-shilling-Youtubers lists which you haven't seen before.

The other way round they will show fragrances at some point which have proven themselves to be good and well received just eg. Prada L'Homme or Layton. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Just trust your own nose!
    Not that easy when you live miles from any decent fragrance shop. I almost always have to rely on someone else’s impression before I order something. I will trust my own nose when I get the fragrance, but then I have already paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    Not that easy when you live miles from any decent fragrance shop. I almost always have to rely on someone else’s impression before I order something. I will trust my own nose when I get the fragrance, but then I have already paid for it.
    Fair point, I fully understand.
    But then I wouldn't blindbuy full bottles and look for someone who can sell me small decants.

Fair point, I fully understand.
    But then I wouldn't blindbuy full bottles and look for someone who can sell me small decants.
    And miss out on the excitement of blind buying? But in all seriousness, buying decants is quite expensive. I did it quite a lot in my early days. Now it is just cheaper for me to buy the full bottle, and then sell it again if I don’t like it.

But in all fairness I should have known better. I am getting quite good at blind buying lately, and I think the Youtubers that I follow do their best to give an honest impression. It is just that my nose don’t always agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    "Spicebomb Night Vision Eau de Parfum"
    I'll second this one. Dreadful....... and if you like the 1st 2 spice bombs like I do, easy to fall for the hype.
    It truly is. And I haven’t found a new buyer for it yet either.

And miss out on the excitement of blind buying? But in all seriousness, buying decants is quite expensive. I did it quite a lot in my early days. Now it is just cheaper for me to buy the full bottle, and then sell it again if I don’t like it.

But in all fairness I should have known better. I am getting quite good at blind buying lately, and I think the Youtubers that I follow do their best to give an honest impression. It is just that my nose don’t always agree with them.
    I meant buying decants of only those fragrances of which you would have purchased a full bottle otherwise.
    Buying decants of everything which sounds quite a bit interesting IS expensive and adds up massively in costs. Been there too.

going by what I heard, the fragrances below were meant to be the literal holy grail of olfactory perfection, but I wouldn't even pay £20 for full bottles after having purchased decants
    You are preaching to the choir here. I posted comments along these lines fairly regularly when I started on here. Posing questions slightly differently, hoping for insights. Are people just claiming to like some of this stuff, or do they really like it? If so, why? How did they get to a point of liking something like this? Etc.

Then, I started making Basenotes friends who sent me samples of older fragrances that captured my interest. When I would get 10 niche samples of things discussed on here, I would typically like 0 to 2 of them enough for a positive review, and none enough to buy. When I would get 10 vintage samples from a Basenoter wanting to hook me up with the good stuff, I would typically like 8 to 10 enough for a positive review, and I would sweat over which ones to buy. I liked so many so much that I would have to make myself forget some of them so I didn't get compulsions to buy too many / more than I'd like to have / more than could fit comfortably in my cabinet.

I'm also on a never-ending hunt for perfume still being manufactured that smells as good as older perfume. For me, Rogue Perfumery comes close. There are a couple Amouages that are interesting, such as Fate Woman.

More recently, classics have been coming back, after a bad period caused by ingredient restrictions. The ingredient restrictions are still in place, but companies seem to be finding workarounds. With the classics coming back, the current market could be due for a renaissance. But mostly, this period, since around 2015, has been a train wreck, in my opinion, for new perfumes in high end shops such as Bergdorf Goodman.

Historical forces, seemingly, to me, have come together to create a farce: the rise of online video promotions by want-to-be influencers/shills at the same time that the perfume market is at an all-time low.

The one note that still works consistently, even in modern perfumes, and can bring an old-school wow-factor, for me, is tuberose, but my significant other doesn't like it, and a lot of people on here don't like it either.

None, I've never watched a YouTube review.

I meant buying decants of only those fragrances of which you would have purchased a full bottle otherwise.
    Buying decants of everything which sounds quite a bit interesting IS expensive and adds up massively in costs. Been there too.
    I know what you meant. The price for a single decant is just too expensive for me to justify, when I can just buy a bottle and sell it later if I don’t like it. And if I decide to keep the bottle, I save even more by not buying a decant first.

I know what you meant. The price for a single decant is just too expensive for me to justify, when I can just buy a bottle and sell it later if I don’t like it. And if I decide to keep the bottle, I save even more by not buying a decant first.
    I agree though it depends where you get your decants from.
    If a fellow fragrance enthusiast gives me a decant, say 5 ml for 5% of the price he paid for the 100 ml bottle and adds 50 ct for the atomizer, that's perfectly fine - but most of the guys who are selling decants would like to earn money by selling them and then we have that scenario you are talking about.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

The fragrances I've seen hyped up by multiple YouTubers are:

Aventus
    Pineapple Vintage
    Sauvage/BDC

"Beast mode", "panty dropper," "worth the hype," "Aventus killer," having random pretty girls smell the cologne on a paper strip and give it a 9 or 10...that's seems to be the recurring theme.

I smelled tried Aventus one time and it was incredibly musky on my skin. It was definitely not a clean smell although it did smell very natural. I later tried it on a paper strip a year later and it smelled fresh and a lot better but who knows.

Sauvage/BDC/ADG Profumo/Dylan Blue versus battles...these are fragrances that are easy to sample for myself so I didn't get caught up in them.

Oh yeah, Ferrari Uomo seemed to be hyped a little bit. That definitely got me interested in getting a bottle but reading the text reviews about it and how it only lasts an hour despite now being $40 a pop...nah I'm good.

The hypetrain hype kind of ruins it for me anyways, because I don't want to be wearing what everyone else is wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    The fragrances I've seen hyped up by multiple YouTubers are:

Aventus
    Pineapple Vintage
    Sauvage/BDC

"Beast mode", "panty dropper," "worth the hype," "Aventus killer," having random pretty girls smell the cologne on a paper strip and give it a 9 or 10...that's seems to be the recurring theme.
    Actually judging by many "ladies rate fragrances" videos Aventus seems more to be a "boxer dropper".