Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Your cologne is killing me..

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    If 'you' like Zino, then wear it. Don't let someone's opinion discourage you. I'm sure I like dozens of scents that 'someone' 'somewhere' likely doesn't like. I'm not going to stop wearing what I enjoy. And I'm sure The Cologneist likes stuff I probably don't like. Do I want him to stop wearing those? No way.
    Yes,I'm with tspencer! Wear whatever you want,as many sprays you want!
    Currently wearing: Witness by Jacques Bogart

Zino can be very pervasive if overapplied. In my experience, it's best to wear it out in the open rather than in the closed quarters.

Only had it happen a couple of times on the tube (mainly due to the close proximity I guess), it is what it is, I'd take a slightly overpowering fragrance for the next 3 stops over BO and other bodily fluids any day but maybe that's just me...

I'm quite aware when I've over sprayed and try to avoid anything that will be close proximity when I have (take the stairs over the elevator), this doesn't happen that often, usually only with something new that I've not really worn before so I'm unsure how it will perform.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    You don't like Zino?
    I really dislike it, I'd even go as far as saying I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I think the part "sprayed 15 min prior" did it. Many fragrances are way too strong when just sprayed and can induce such bad reactions. I think one should not spray more than once when already AT work if they want to avoid these situations.
    I don't think she was necessarily overreacting too much - I have perceived choking perfume clouds from people in the street. But smelling it on the street is fine as you just pass along and might even think it's very nice this way - and irritating if you have to be close to the person for a longer time. Some aromachemicals project way better than we think and can be very stingingly sharp to the nose in an enclosed area. Maybe you are a bit too hard on the lady.
    Um no I don't agree she was sitting across-not next to me
    She is how the Americans say the "Karen"? No one else complained and i didn't douse myself in the stuff..
    For a more dramatic effect she wrapped a scarf around her face like she couldn't breathe. There were many people around no one else even cared.

Basenotes Plus

Just be like, "Ah, bummer." then turn and face away.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Today on the train..
    My reply : Are you kidding me? Even with your mask on ?
    Yes
    Well I like it and it's um a good cologne!..
    Sorry to read that happened. I adore Zino as well. I try to give it an hour before heading out on the train if I ever wear it on a commute.

Where do you spray btw? I would have thought under a coat it should be fine.

I imagine we have all "stunk out the joint". It happens. I know I upset some people in the past and made some mistakes that embarrassed myself for sure. I've learned a lot in the last few years how to avert these situations. And of course different people react differently.

You got great taste. Maybe keep the sprays to 3? With current Zino I do 3 or 4 sprays under a jacket.

In that situation I would just say sorry, I over did it. And maybe move seats. And do your best not to let it bother you.

Long ago I had a couple of embarrassing situations. I can never look at some fragrances the same way since then. But my taste also changed as well thankfully. Basenotes helps a lot in understanding fragrances. I feel Pluran gave the best advice: Apply with some finesse.

Enjoy that Zino. Hope you don't see that lady again. Or do what I did, wear a fake mustache for the next few weeks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I observe this quite a bit at the office when individuals wear monstrous amounts of Sauvage and Bleu.
    Oh gosh, 2 fragrances I loathe. N. Cal, you gotta find a way to get that Egoiste and Bois de Portugal love into your office. Try to get HR to make it part of screening process of new applicants.

Sauvage is doing well to give a bad reputation to fragrance.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The thing I've noticed with Zino is that the opening is monstrous and sharp. After an hour a sharp drop off occurs and the scent loses momentum fast and softens up. I think performance is good but given the initial opening and list of notes one would think it would have monstrous performance. Don't get me wrong it delivers at this price point, but if this was a tom ford or something from a niche house
    I can imagine it lasting all day.
    Really would like to try a lancaster bottle to compare. Articles I've read are that they are identical , but some basenoters do not agree from threads that I've read.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Oh gosh, 2 fragrances I loathe. N. Cal, you gotta find a way to get that Egoiste and Bois de Portugal love into your office. Try to get HR to make it part of screening process of new applicants.

Sauvage is doing well to give a bad reputation to fragrance.
    Love Egoiste and Bois du Portugal. Egoiste along with Antaeus and Pour Monsieur are dumb reaches for the the office. They've been the stars for my SOTW picks.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

This might be a bold statement, but I can already imagine a world in the near future where fragrance is just not accepted anymore. Everywhere will be a fragrance free place and fragrances will eventually go the way of physical media.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Love Egoiste and Bois du Portugal. Egoiste along with Antaeus and Pour Monsieur are dumb reaches for the the office. They've been the stars for my SOTW picks.
    Egoiste is probably my all time favorite but along with Antaeus, i can imagine these two having a similar response as Zino they are sharp and old school compared to all the ambroxan stuff that's in vogue these days.

Anyone close enough to smell me and not like it is free to social distance themselves.

That said, I have one boss who wears a ton of what smells like Acqua di Gio and another (smoker) who usually reeks of either cool water or drakkar noir.

Word to the wise: don't stand so close to grocery store employees on the sales floor. If we're not about to immediately set off to accomplish a task, then we're probably ripping some serious ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    Word to the wise: don't stand so close to grocery store employees on the sales floor. If we're not about to immediately set off to accomplish a task, then we're probably ripping some serious ass.
    Good to know.

Just an observation: for the last few days I've had a sore spot on my wrist so I have not worn my beloved watch on those days. I miss wearing it. I asked myself this question: would I rather not be able to wear a watch or not be able to wear cologne the rest of my life?

I'd rather wear cologne. I get more enjoyment from it.