Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Homme let's get this str8

So guys I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what to do so I need your help again . I have a 2012 - 2013 bottle of DH (black stem) and I'm very happy with it but it's at about 30%. I see that the line has changed and now there's the 2020 edition and my DH is now the "original". My question to you is this, is the Dior Homme Original another reformulation of DH and is it yet again weaker and different? (I know that DH 2020 is a completely new scent which I dislike)
    I'm asking this because I can't decide whether to wait until I finish my DH bottle or they've reformulated it again and I should buy a bottle ASAP.

Default Re: Dior Homme let's get this str8

Dior Homme Original has the same batch code as the pre-2020 Dior Homme.

That's good to know. So I should expect the same smell as my black stem?

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    That's good to know. So I should expect the same smell as my black stem?
    That I don't know. The batch code has changed after 2012-2013, if I recall correctly, so there'd be some variation (though likely minor).

Others could speak to those perceived changes better.

Ok thanks. I hope someone will be able to tell me if there's a major difference.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Ok thanks. I hope someone will be able to tell me if there's a major difference.
    Dior does a good job of AVOIDING batch variance, IMO. So you should be fine. But still, if it were me, I'd buy a vintage bottle of DH. It's easy enough to find.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Don't know if it'll help much, but have you tried comparing the formula-codes of the post-2013 to the Original?
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Don't know if it'll help much, but have you tried comparing the formula-codes of the post-2013 to the Original?
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by Original. If you mean the 2020 dior homme original then no but if you mean the original release with the silver stem than yes many times

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

He means pre-2020. There's the Original, then there's the 2020 release.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    He means pre-2020. There's the Original, then there's the 2020 release.
    I have the black stem pre 2020 DH but I haven't compared mine with what was out there after 2014.

I have the OG (silver stem), but they are all good.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm asking this because I can't decide whether to wait until I finish my DH bottle or they've reformulated it again and I should buy a bottle ASAP.
    Wait until you finish your DH bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Dior Homme Original has the same batch code as the pre-2020 Dior Homme.
    Please don't confuse the batch code (which gives information about production date) with the formulation code (which should give you information about the formula).
    Of course bottles from different years, months & weeks have different batch codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Dior does a good job of AVOIDING batch variance, IMO. So you should be fine. But still, if it were me, I'd buy a vintage bottle of DH. It's easy enough to find.
    Chanel does, but Dior does clearly NOT.

2016 and 2017 bottles of DHI aren' good, smellwise and performance is also rather mediocre, that's why I haven't bought them and only got decants and a lot of original samples (different batches from that time) - until I tried late 2018 DHI again, which is a whole other league imho. All the same formulation code, but smell different. I have a few late 2018 DHI bottles of a particular batch and also a few early 2019 DHI of another particular batch. Both the same formulation as well, but they don't smell the same - each one is great but has its own personality.

Or remember the vanilla-ish Fahrenheit EDT from 2016? The same formulation code like the late 2018, though very different scents. You may know that.

And I can guarantee you, that 2020 Dior Homme Original doesn't smell like the late 2019 Dior Homme EDT, same for DHI 2020 vs DHI 2019 or DHP 2020 vs DHP 2019, though they have the same formulation code printed on the box. It's just not that easy.
    I know people who say "Coca Cola tastes the same as Pepsi Cola" - which is totally fine if they think so. But in fact it's just not the case.

As for Dior Homme EDT, there are many formulations:

The 2013 Dior Homme EDT bottle of the TO should have the formulation 05434/A (2010 - 2014)
    Formulation of late 2018 to late 2019 Dior Homme EDT was 12244/A which is a much better composition if you ask me. For me it's the best Dior Homme EDT.
    Dior Homme "Original" has still 12244/A but I guess it doesn't smell the same anymore.

So if the TO likes to get a rather similar juice again, he needs to hunt down 2010 to 2014 bottles - I personally wouldn't do that as I prefer the 12244/A.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    As for Dior Homme EDT, there are many formulations:

The 2013 Dior Homme EDT bottle of the TO should have the formulation 05434/A (2010 - 2014)
    Formulation of late 2018 to late 2019 Dior Homme EDT was 12244/A which is a much better composition if you ask me. For me it's the best Dior Homme EDT.
    Dior Homme "Original" has still 12244/A but I guess it doesn't smell the same anymore.

So if the TO likes to get a rather similar juice again, he needs to hunt down 2010 to 2014 bottles - I personally wouldn't do that as I prefer the 12244/A.
    I would like for someone to confirm this.
    As for the second part of your post I don't have to get the 2010 to 2014 batch I just don't want something that is going to be worse than that formulation

I would like for someone to confirm this.
    As for the second part of your post I don't have to get the 2010 to 2014 batch I just don't want something that is going to be worse than that formulation
    Best you can do is to find some late 2018 (8L.., 8M.. batchcode) or 2019 (9... batchcode) Dior Homme EDT bottles of the 12244/A formulation, which are still flying around. They are great - at least every single one (except the very first ones of 8K..) I tried was very good!

Best you can do is to find some late 2018 (8L.., 8M.. batchcode) or 2019 (9... batchcode) Dior Homme EDT bottles of the 12244/A formulation, which are still flying around. They are great - at least every single one (except the very first ones of 8K..) I tried was very good!
    I think it would be helpful if you would explain what is so different about this narrow band of batches.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes - Creeds / Lubins / Chopard / Guerlain / Evody / Lalique / BOIS 1920
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I think it would be helpful if you would explain what is so different about this narrow band of batches.
    We already had this topic not a long time ago.

I've had batch 8K01 which was crap, very bad projection and longevity, then bought 8L01 which was clearly better but not really good, after that I had 8M02 which was just amazing.
    My thoughts were that 8K01 was the first 12244/A batch produced (haven't seen a 7... with that formulation) and that Dior played around a bit with the formulation in the beginning. I've even sent the 8K01 back to the authorized Dior seller and they agreed with me that the performance wasn't acceptable. I also had decanted 2-3 ml of it to see if there was a maceration problem and it probably will get better with time - but it wasn't the case after checking it a few months later.

So it's better to stay away from the 8K.. batches imho.

I guess I'll try to do that

My thoughts were that 8K01 was the first 12244/A batch produced and that Dior played around a bit with the formulation in the beginning.
    Are you suggesting Dior "played around with the formula" without changing the formula code?
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes - Creeds / Lubins / Chopard / Guerlain / Evody / Lalique / BOIS 1920

Are you suggesting Dior "played around with the formula" without changing the formula code?
    Yes, at least with the concentration of the perfume oils which would explain why the fragrance had such a bad longevity and projection.

Yes, at least with the concentration of the perfume oils which would explain why the fragrance had such a bad longevity and projection.
    Pretty bold statement.

Pretty bold statement.
    Maybe it is.

I know it's much easier to say "if the formulation code is the same the fragrance is also exactly the same".
    I had that kind of discussion a numerous times.

I trust my own nose more than a code printed on a box and when doing several A/B blind testings on several days and getting the same results each time, I make up my conclusion.
    Everyone is entitled to make his own experiences, all I do is to share my own.

Side note:

You may have recognized that nearly every reviewer who had bought a new DHI 2020 bottle has said, that the color of the juice seems to be much lighter in comparison to the freshly opened 2019, 2018... bottles (not the half empty ones where the juice has darkened by time...).
    Formulatin code and Ingredients list though is still exactly the same as before, also the coloring codes are listed and haven't changed. So how could that be?

You may have recognized that nearly every reviewer who had bought a new DHI 2020 bottle has said, that the color of the juice seems to be much lighter in comparison to the freshly opened 2019, 2018... bottles (not the half empty ones where the juice has darkened by time...).
    Formulatin code and Ingredients list though is still exactly the same as before, also the coloring codes are listed and haven't changed. So how could that be?
    Oxidation.

I bought my very first bottle of DHI last week bottle is made this year. Please someone tell me if these need time to open up before they start projecting..
    All I can say is that 1 spray on my hand lasted 15 hours.
    It's the projection and sillage I'm a little worried about..
    But I've read many posts that DHI needs time to open up.
    I also noticed that on the very first spray liquid came out.
    When I usually buy a brand new bottle I need to spray at least twice before the liquid comes out. Does this mean anything?

Basenotes Plus

I would stock up on the original black stem asap! The original silver stem has its value but I personally prefer the original black stem, the very original silver stem was extremely powdery and lipsticky. I remember buying Dior Homme right after its first release because it was so unique and daring at the time for a men's scent. Then came the black stem, I found the black stem had a stronger vetiver note and had a tiny bit more fresher elements, these differences were subtle, but more than enough for me to keep my black stem and sell my silver stem. To me, the black stem is the best iteration of Dior Homme, I have owned 3 bottles of it. I agree Dior Homme 2020 is a waste of time.

Oxidation.
    Why should a 2 months old DHI bought in 2019 has got more oxidation than a 2 months old DHI bought in 2020?

That's what I'm talking about. That's not oxidation/maceration when the color is different from the beginning - unless Dior has shortened a "in house maceration process" before filling up the bottles.
    As I said "not the half empty ones where the juice darkened by time" to describe what I mean.

We just cannot clear this up.
    Some Dior employees say they changed 2020 DHI "a little bit", some say they don't.

So trust your own nose and if it says there is no difference then buy the new ones if they are cheaper and easier available in your country.
    Otherwise I personally would just buy the 2019 ones.

Why should a 2 months old DHI bought in 2019 has got more oxidation than a 2 months old DHI bought in 2020?

That's what I'm talking about. That's not oxidation/maceration when the color is different from the beginning - unless Dior has shortened a "in house maceration process" before filling up the bottles.
    As I said "not the half empty ones where the juice darkened by time" to describe what I mean.

We just cannot clear this up.
    Some Dior employees say they changed 2020 DHI "a little bit", some say they don't.

So trust your own nose and if it says there is no difference then buy the new ones if they are cheaper and easier available in your country.
    Otherwise I personally would just buy the 2019 ones.
    Do you ever notice its very rarely the other way around? Newer batches of product darker than older?
    My DHI bottles have all gotten darker with time and my DHP bottles have done the same. All the them mostly full.
    I think its perfectly clear for me. All of my DH and DHI bottles smell the same from 2013 thru to 2020 for DHI and 2015 to 2019 for DH.
    Like in any manufacturing process there are tolerances, it is possible to have some variance, but I think QC for fragrances is pretty good.
    My opinion: Sometimes people smell with their eyes.

Do you ever notice its very rarely the other way around? Newer batches of product darker than older?
    My DHI bottles have all gotten darker with time and my DHP bottles have done the same. All the them mostly full.
    I think its perfectly clear for me. All of my DH and DHI bottles smell the same from 2015 thru to 2020 for DHI and 2015 to 2019 for DH.
    Like in any manufacturing process there are tolerances, it is possible to have some variance, but I think QC for fragrances is pretty good.
    My opinion: Sometimes people smell with their eyes.
    Of course I notice the juice of fragrances is getting darker with time or even change the color like eg. with Parfums de Marly Herod (you know my documentation thread about it since you've also contributed there: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/47...Rant-included))

All my Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense and even Parfum had darkened a bit. So I'm fully aware about it.
    But I've got different batches which don't smell the same - and when I'm talking about A/B blind testings with freshly opened bottles it should be clear that I am not "smelling with my eyes".
    What sense does it make for me ordering a new DH bottle and returning it just to buy the exact same from the same seller for the same price again if it's not the problem with the fragrance/smell/performance?

Maybe I am one of those people who notice batch tolerances very well unlike some others who don't smell it or just don't care - which is also perfectly fine.
    Batch tolerances are indeed a big problem for me as I've experienced it how big they could be and therefore I would not say that quality control is that good unless it's only the tolerances of some natural ingredients which will always be there no matter how good quality control gets. I personally doubt it.

As I've said we can't really clear that up.

Noone would ever check Dior's formulations, ingredients, sources where they have bought them from etc.. and compare different batches via GC/MS analysis - and even then if my nose says it smells different, that is what counts for me.
    Look at all those "Aventus" clones which probably look very similar under a GC analysis - but don't smell the same as such an analysis is just a "picture of the moment" and will not tell you how the fragrance will develop on skin, how it will smell in the sillage - many clones are smelling rather "one-dimensional", because of that issue.

Sorry I can't explain it better here since English isn't my mother language and I'm not here to argue with other people.

Megaman can you answer my post please

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I bought my very first bottle of DHI last week bottle is made this year. Please someone tell me if these need time to open up before they start projecting..
    All I can say is that 1 spray on my hand lasted 15 hours.
    It's the projection and sillage I'm a little worried about..
    But I've read many posts that DHI needs time to open up.
    I also noticed that on the very first spray liquid came out.
    When I usually buy a brand new bottle I need to spray at least twice before the liquid comes out. Does this mean anything?
    Could have been a return? Was it sealed?
    When I first got my 2015 bottle (5T01) of DHI, current and fresh at the time, I thought it wasnt very strong after an initial try.
    A week or so later I sprayed 3 times under my shirt before going out to split some wood in the backyard, came back in after a couple of hours, girlfriend says: "Got enough of that on?"

I think the plastic straw has some effect on the fragrance, possibly with some air to oxidize it too.