Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bleu de Chanel Parfum alternative?

I've had BDC Parfum, loved it but sold it.
    Why? I don't really know to be honest.
    I loved the opening and the semi-sweet, creamy sandalwood dry down was gorgeously sublime although I did sometimes find it a little 2 dimensional?
    Perhaps I wanted something a little more layered and with more dimensions?
    Are there any others that offer that beautiful dry down but also have a little more going on?
    I have tried Dior Sauvage Parfum and although I do very much like it, it doesn't have such a lovely dry down as BDC although it is more complex (to my nose) in that it seems to have more going on?
    I don't necessarily want a BDC clone just something that offers that kind of creamy, sandalwood loveliness but that isn't so 2D?

I don't want anything challenging or weird, I don't like gourmand frags, overly boozy frags, or harsh and skanky frags.

BDC was almost 'the one' if it wasn't so ... well 2D.

Any suggestions or should I just get BDC Parfum again and persevere?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel Parfum alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Are there any others that offer that beautiful dry down but also have a little more going on?
    or should I just get BDC Parfum again and persevere?
    No others I can think of. I'd just get it again and enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You could try a few other blue frags to see if anything’s a hit, but honestly BdC is the “best” of the bunch imo (I spoiled myself in getting BdC first).
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Are there any others that offer that beautiful dry down...

Any suggestions or should I just get BDC Parfum again and persevere?
    Nobody does Chanel like Chanel, so no.

If you like it enough, buy it again and persevere with it. If you don’t like it enough then let it go and find spend time sampling until you find something you think is better.
    All time favourites

Bois du Portugal
    by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Heritage EdT by Guerlain
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Cool Water (vintage) by Davidoff
    Eau Sauvage (vintage) by Christian Dior
    Chic For Men (original formulation) by Carolina Herrera
    Halfeti by Penhaligon’s
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Thanks guys, I suspected as much.
    Perhaps I will just re-buy a bottle and relax into it.

Agree with all posts, Chanel Bleu DNA is unmatched and at the end of the day others come off cheap in comparison to Chanel Bleu De Chanel. They started this trend and have stood above all to this day, not a fan boy hyping it it’s just quality through and through.

I've lost count of the number of compliments I've had with both the EDP and the Parfum of Bleu. It's easily my most complimented fragrance.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Like everyone has said, you can't really replicate the BDC Parfum. You could try Missoni Parfum. It's more similar to BDC EDT though.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Bleu is my signature scent. I wear it 80% of the time. I alternate between EDT, EDP, and Parfum. Each one is uniquely different--EDT (juicy grapefruit peppered with clean cedar), EDP (Smooth grapefruit nicely mixed with oily incense, with a classy sandalwood/cedar base), and Parfum (mature/bloody grapefruit with the sandalwood and cedar).

I've never come across anything similar to Bleu Parfum. Why not just get it and the problem is solved.

Check out Missoni pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    Bleu is my signature scent. I wear it 80% of the time. I alternate between EDT, EDP, and Parfum. Each one is uniquely different--EDT (juicy grapefruit peppered with clean cedar), EDP (Smooth grapefruit nicely mixed with oily incense, with a classy sandalwood/cedar base), and Parfum (mature/bloody grapefruit with the sandalwood and cedar).

I've never come across anything similar to Bleu Parfum. Why not just get it and the problem is solved.
    I personally don't care much about BdC and have already mentioned that I think it's a rather boring fragrance in another thread here on BN.
    But I have to say that I appreciate your post as it shows me that there are people out there who really enjoy it and you sir even in all three concentrations which is great.
    So thanks for that statement!

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I personally don't care much about BdC and have already mentioned that I think it's a rather boring fragrance in another thread here on BN.
    But I have to say that I appreciate your post as it shows me that there are people out there who really enjoy it and you sir even in all three concentrations which is great.
    So thanks for that statement!
    LOL Thanks! I guess what I like about all three, is how different they are yet capture the essence of each other by sharing the grapefruit note throughout. EDT is probably ranked #2 for my most complicated scent. #1 is a tie between Allure Homme Sport and Aventus. I've had the loudest reactions to Aventus for whatever it's worth.

LOL Thanks! I guess what I like about all three, is how different they are yet capture the essence of each other by sharing the grapefruit note throughout. EDT is probably ranked #2 for my most complicated scent. #1 is a tie between Allure Homme Sport and Aventus. I've had the loudest reactions to Aventus for whatever it's worth.
    Haha I think you've meant "most complimented"?
    Or does it get complicated when you wear it because the ladies are so into it?

Freed from BN Institution

Bleu is one of a kind.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Haha I think you've meant "most complimented"?
    Or does it get complicated when you wear it because the ladies are so into it?
    If I didn't know better, the gentleman is likely writing on an Apple product with the predictive text switched on

You've already got your answer and I agree with the responses - Chanel really are unique in their own right.

However, I'm surprised no one mentioned Elysium by Roja Dove. It does have quite a few parallels with Bleu de Chanel's Parfum version. But I prefer the Chanel for more reasons than just the price tag.

For what it's worth, I get no similarities between Bleu and Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You've already got your answer and I agree with the responses - Chanel really are unique in their own right.

However, I'm surprised no one mentioned Elysium by Roja Dove. It does have quite a few parallels with Bleu de Chanel's Parfum version. But I prefer the Chanel for more reasons than just the price tag.

For what it's worth, I get no similarities between Bleu and Sauvage.
    I've heard great things about Elysium. Why do you prefer Bleu over it? I've also heard that it has some Aventus qualities in there. I've thought about pulling the trigger on it given how much i like Blue EDT.

I've heard great things about Elysium. Why do you prefer Bleu over it? I've also heard that it has some Aventus qualities in there. I've thought about pulling the trigger on it given how much i like Blue EDT.
    I am not Roja’s biggest fan and Elysium is arguably one of the best examples why. The scent is just not original - Bleu came first and Roja practically took a carbon copy of it, stuck his name on the front and put a few zeros on the end of the price tag. Hardly motivating to get this over Bleu if you ask me. Zero creativity and inspiration. Same story for Fetish vs Bel Ami. Again, just my opinion.

Aventus, Elysium and Bleu all relate to each other in that they use ample aromachemicals that are mass-appealing. They have a few in common such as ambrox, amberwood and ISO E Super. Beyond that, Aventus goes down a different path to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I am not Roja’s biggest fan and Elysium is arguably one of the best examples why. The scent is just not original - Bleu came first and Roja practically took a carbon copy of it, stuck his name on the front and put a few zeros on the end of the price tag. Hardly motivating to get this over Bleu if you ask me. Zero creativity and inspiration. Same story for Fetish vs Bel Ami. Again, just my opinion.

Aventus, Elysium and Bleu all relate to each other in that they use ample aromachemicals that are mass-appealing. They have a few in common such as ambrox, amberwood and ISO E Super. Beyond that, Aventus goes down a different path to the others.
    Aventus was my signature scent for a few years. I grew tired of the batch variations with Creed (I also owned GIT, Silver Mountain, Original Vetiver, Himalaya) and settled on Bleu. I felt that Bleu somewhat resembled Aventus, had great performance, and CHANEL was less likely to reformulate.

Aventus was my signature scent for a few years. I grew tired of the batch variations with Creed (I also owned GIT, Silver Mountain, Original Vetiver, Himalaya) and settled on Bleu. I felt that Bleu somewhat resembled Aventus, had great performance, and CHANEL was less likely to reformulate.
    Aventus and BdC EdT were both released in 2010.
    As Aventus wasn't the hype beast from the beginning I don't think that Chanel/ Jacques Polge took inspiration from it.

But a few years ago I've seen a GC analysis where Sauvage was compared to Aventus and the chemist explained that Sauvage seems to be a more synthetic take on Aventus or that it has at least a few striking similarities. Maybe that explains why Sauvage lovers enjoy Aventus too.

Of course smelling them side by side they are not the same.

Bleu De Chanel is a excellent signature fragrance, I only stopped wearing it because I worked with someone who wore it now they left the place I work. So I will be wearing this a lot and enjoying it again, might sound weird but I like to have my own scents for work and not blending in is a plus.

Aventus and BdC EdT were both released in 2010.
    As Aventus wasn't the hype beast from the beginning I don't think that Chanel/ Jacques Polge took inspiration from it.

But a few years ago I've seen a GC analysis where Sauvage was compared to Aventus and the chemist explained that Sauvage seems to be a more synthetic take on Aventus or that it has at least a few striking similarities. Maybe that explains why Sauvage lovers enjoy Aventus too.

Of course smelling them side by side they are not the same.
    Don't SAUVAGE and AVENTUS both have a major dose of Ambroxan?
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Don't SAUVAGE and AVENTUS both have a major dose of Ambroxan?
    Maybe there is (or was) a certain amount of natural Ambergris in Aventus, too - but yes, that's one of the notes both share.

I find that I really enjoy Bleu when I'm in the mood for it. It's certainly worth owning a bottle.

Having previously owned the Parfum did you test the EDP? It may be worth testing for you if not.

Some fragrances that sometimes remind me a little of Bleu de Chanel you might try:

Guerlain L'homme Ideal Sport
    Bond No. 9 Montauk
    Elysium by Roja Parfums
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Missoni Parfum pour Homme.

Trust me on this.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Creed Himalaya has a similar vibe to Bleu EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Creed Himalaya has a similar vibe to Bleu EDT.
    They really do. It's the shared grapefruit and cedar. Himalaya has more of a gun powdery smell if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks guys.
    I do won and enjoy BDC (EDT) so I'm not looking for something similar to that but rather the Parfum version.
    I did once have a sample of BDC EDP but can't recall much about how it smelt vs the EDT or Parfum. I do vaguely remember it seeming a bit loud and screechy though but that could've been an over application?
    Perhaps I need to try it again in order to compare it before the memory of the Parfum also fades more quickly than my ADP Colonia does!!!

BDC Parfum is the best. I've tried all others in its realm like Jimmy Choo Intense, but it is fickle and doesn't last beyond 5 mins in spite of it's name and price.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Likely few can actually think of but if ever having to recommend any alternatives, might also add due to personally not just liking very much but considering this fairly close to BDC: Hugh Parsons Blue in its EDP concentration